Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [SCD] Necrotic Ooze (SoM Spoiler Alert)

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

[SCD] Necrotic Ooze (SoM Spoiler Alert)

There has been a lot of talk with this card as a centerpiece to a new kind of combo deck.

Essentially, the combo goes like this: Buried Alive + A reanimating spell. Buried Alive tutors for Necrotic Ooze + two other combo pieces (such as Phyrexian Devourer + Triskelion).

Could this card create its own archetype, such as a mono-black cousin of Reanimator (getting rituals and hand/land disruption with it)? Could this card help existing decks such as Reanimator (Reanimator would start running Buried Alive then) and Cephalid Breakfast decks?

The Non-LED Dredge thread has already started talking about this card, but it doesn't seem that it will fit in that deck.

Feel free to add and discuss this upcoming card.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: [SCD] Necrotic Ooze (SoM Spoiler Alert)

Quick, get copies of Phyrexian Devourer as long as it's still cheap!

The Triskelion combo is probably the best one due to only requiring two cards. But what's the best route to go?

Mono Black, probably with Ancient Tombs and City of Traitors to power out your setup fast?

Or as a combo in Survival? It also doubles as search engine due to all combo components being creatures. Assuming you have Survival in play and a creature in your hand, it kills for .

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    The Triskelion combo is probably the best one due to only requiring two cards. But what's the best route to go?

Mono Black, probably with Ancient Tombs and City of Traitors to power out your setup fast?

Or as a combo in Survival? It also doubles as search engine due to all combo components being creatures. Assuming you have Survival in play and a creature in your hand, it kills for .
    There's also BU for combo/control with FOW, Daze, Brainstorm, Ponder, and possibly Personal Tutor or Intuition.

Nov 2008
    Tampere, Finland

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    Essentially, the combo goes like this: Buried Alive + A reanimating spell. Buried Alive tutors for Necrotic Ooze + two other combo pieces (such as Phyrexian Devourer + Triskelion).
    I see a slight problem with this combo: if you exile anything with cmc 3 or higher with the ability gained from Devourer, it will make you sacrifice your Necrotic Ooze because its power goes to 7 or higher (4/3 plus at least 3 +1/+1 counters).

Edit: right, you can of course continue comboing by responding to the ability if you flip a card with cmc >= 3. My bad.
    Level 2 Judge

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

Quote Originally Posted by luma View Post
    I see a slight problem with this combo: if you exile anything with cmc 3 or higher with the ability gained from Devourer, it will make you sacrifice your Necrotic Ooze because its power goes to 7 or higher (4/3 plus at least 3 +1/+1 counters).

Edit: right, you can of course continue comboing by responding to the ability if you flip a card with cmc >= 3. My bad.
    Are you sure you can respond to it? It doesn't sound like something you can respond to, by reading the card.

May 2010
    Argentina

Quote Originally Posted by luma View Post

No need to do that, Necrotic Ooze only has the activated abilities; the sacrifice ability is a triggered one.

Your life total: 4, My life total: 20
    Jul 2008

@ pechunato: no. Read the oracle text, it is part of the activated ability.

BUT it doesn't matter, because the ooze won't die until AFTER that ability resolves. So you can just respond to that one with another one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    The first time I heard of the site, I went to www.thesource.com and was greeted with a full-page picture of some thug pointing a gun at me. I immediately realised that Legacy was the most hardcore format ever.

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Rough list:

1 Inkwell Leviathan
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Sphinx of the Steel Wind
    1 Necrotic Ooze
    2 combo creatures

4 Brainstorm
    3 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Careful Study
    4 Exhume
    4 Personal Tutor
    2 Ponder
    3 Reanimate
    1 Show and Tell
    3 duress
    4 Buried Alive

1 Island
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Swamp
    4 Underground Sea
    4 Verdant Catacombs

60 cards.

what do you think? i just picked up my chinese set for 10$ shipped. I think that this creature will soon have his own Tier reanimator.......
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

Sep 2006
    CZE

So you absolutely have to resolve Buried Alive or be super lucky (impossible) with Careful Study discarding both combo creatures... This seems kinda not enough to me.

I just started playtesting Entomb Hulk and this seems better in that its only 3 cards BUT you need to get all 3 of them in the yard and then animate one or get 2 in the yard and hardcast one. Intuition and Entomb both dont exactly do what you need here. Is there anything else?
    Im from Czech Republic, so be patient with my english!

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Maybe you didn't notice list also run 4x personal tutors, 4x brainstorm, 2x ponder, 4x careful study. If i could play ancestral i swear i'd do.

Quote Originally Posted by addaro View Post
    Intuition and Entomb both dont exactly do what you need here. Is there anything else?
    i can't find any intuition (though could be a strong addition) nor entomb in my list.

Sep 2006
    CZE

Well my whole point was that the combo is dependant on Buried Alive resolving (see, the tutors dont help counterwar as much as another similar card) and I was looking for some other card, e.g. Intuition or Entomb. The missunderstanding is probably due to my english. My bad and I apologize for not making myself clear the first time (kinda hard to learn 3 languages).

Also Thoughtseize>Duress? Helps in cornercases get combo piece out of your hand or opponents creature when you want to use SnT.

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Well my whole point was that the combo is dependant on Buried Alive resolving (see, the tutors dont help counterwar as much as another similar card) and I was looking for some other card, e.g. Intuition or Entomb. The missunderstanding is probably due to my english. My bad and I apologize for not making myself clear the first time (kinda hard to learn 3 languages).

Also Thoughtseize>Duress? Helps in cornercases get combo piece out of your hand or opponents creature when you want to use SnT.
    ah it's ok it's ok. Basically in my first version Duress were Spell pierce to be more reliable during counter war. But i guess that 'seize could be more interesting to keep key creatures in the grave, or as usual to discard Fow.
    By the way, i really think that Necrotic Ooze has some potential.

Sep 2006
    CZE

Well ... the Ooze has some potential but the deck needs to be built around it. Not just incorporate it in Reanimator. You are trying to resolve Buried Alive and then Animate it ... thats turn 4 with your draft at the earliest! The deck needs Dark Ritual, Mox/Petal or Ancient Tomb to speed it up. Also the problem in G2/3 is that you have to get rid of Crypt/Relic because you cant go off with entomb in response to them cracking it as Reanimator does.

EDIT: and maybe cutting the Careful Study for Ponder because it is higly unlikely to draw all three pieces and discard them this way and it is too much card disadvantage for us if we want (we probably do) to play Chrome Mox.

Then obviously we cut SnT and get a deck dependant on resolving 3cc and 1/2cc spell, very vulnerable to grave hate. Doesnt seem worth the effort.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Hows this list?

17 Lands

Draw/Search Power
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Lim-Dûl's Vault
    2 Ponder
    2 Personal Tutor

Combo
    4 Reanimate
    4 Buried Alive
    1 Necrotic Ooze
    1 Phyrexian Devourer
    1 Triskelion

Control
    4 Thought seize
    4 Force of Will
    2 Daze
    2 Duress

Acceleration
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal

Has a lot of protect, decent amount of draw and tutelage power some acceleration..should go off around turn 3...

Sep 2006
    CZE

Yeah Im trying 17 lands, 4 rits and 4 Petals too and it feels like too much actually. 4 Personal Tutor is a must. Trying Ancient Tomb and Top.

EDIT:

1 Island
    2 Swamp
    3 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Underground Sea
    3 Ancient Tomb
    4 Dark Ritual
    3 Lotus Petal

1 Necrotic Ooze
    1 Triskelion
    1 Phyrexian Devourer

2 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm

4 Thoughtseize
    4 Force of Will

4 Exhume
    4 Buried Alive
    4 Reanimate
    4 Personal Tutor

This is fast and stable at the same time but needs to fight grave hate, cant switch to SnT backup plan :( So Pithing Needle in SB, or green splash.
    Last edited by addaro; 09-17-2010 at 04:33 AM.

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Paging Killing Joke, a brand new Legacy deck that anybody who's been remotely serious about the format for more than 6 months only has to buy 2 new cards for. (I mean, unless you have a Phyrexian Devourer in your jank bin, then probably just 1 card.)

I'm kinda pumped to have a use for my Korean BB 4th Edition Trike.

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

I will try it in Survival probably. Something like this might be playable, though I'd like to have more creatures with activated abilities.

// 15
    4 Survival of the Fittest
    4 Aether Vial
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Cabal Therapy

// 24
    4 Birds of Paradise
    4 Fauna Shaman
    3 Mesmeric Fiend
    1 Squee, Goblin Nabob
    1 Anger
    1 Quirion Ranger
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
    1 Mogg Fanatic
    1 Viridian Zealot
    1 Shriekmaw
    1 Magus of the Moon
    4 Necrotic Ooze

// 21
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Taiga
    4 Bayou
    5 Forest

Overseas mascotte of IcBE
    Jul 2005
    Tilburg, the Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Meekrab View Post
    I'm kinda pumped to have a use for my Korean BB 4th Edition Trike.
    I got the main combo sans the Ooze in Korean :)

I am going to test this thing out, I bought a lot of 15 Devourers for .50 total some while back. Time to make a profit!
    Last edited by Atwa; 09-17-2010 at 05:24 PM.
    4th: 293/363
    5th: 82/434
    Vi: 159/167
    Wl: 100/167
    Te: 318/335
    St: 132/143
    Ex: 136/143
    US: 235/335
    3/8 Sealed boosters
    1/8 Sealed boosterboxes

Only 632 cards left for a full Korean set, over 69% done (last update 05/27)
    Always looking for sealed product!

This is fast and stable at the same time but needs to fight grave hate, cant switch to SnT backup plan :( So Pithing Needle in SB, or green splash.
    Against everyhing that doesn't replace goes to the grave (i.e. not Lleyline) and isn't split second (Extirpate), you can use the 'solidarity work-around' - hardcast Ooze, and then going off at instant speed after the Buried Alive.

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

I just bought 40 Devourers. Hooray, lets hope this works.

Thread Information