Thread: [Report] 14th/55 At RIT Legacy with Zoo

Sep 2010
    rochester/RIT

[Report] 14th/55 At RIT Legacy with Zoo

Hey guys, this is my first tournament report, so let me know what you think.

I had a hard time picking a deck for this tournament, and ended up going with zoo. My usual deck is LED ichorid, but recently our meta has been flooded with LED-less ichorid lists and belcher so I decided to sideline the deck for fear of hate and unwinnable matchups. I realize that the zoo vs belcher and zoo vs ichorid matchups are not ideal, but I was hoping I could just mise wins off of people not knowing how to play around traps or crypts. My goals for this tournament were both doing well, and also refining my zoo list. Because of that, I ended up running a somewhat strange zoo build with a lot of card variation to see what I liked and what I didn't like.

Decklist:

4x Wild Nacatl
    4x Grim Lavamancer
    3x Steppe Lynx
    4x Tarmogoyf
    4x Qasali Pridemage
    1x Terravore

4x Lightning bolt
    4x Path to Exile
    3x Chain lightning
    2x Price of progress
    3x Lightning helix
    2x Fireblast
    1x Sylvan Library

4x Arid mesa
    4x Windswept heath
    4x Wooded foothills
    2x Taiga
    3x Plateau
    1x Savannah
    1x Forest
    1x Plains
    1x Mountain

Board:

3x Gaddock Teeg
    3x Mindbreak trap
    3x Tormod's crypt
    1x Relic of progenitus
    3x Pyroblast
    2x Krosan grip

Card Choices: I was trying out lynx because I have never really been happy with kird ape, and overall it ended up being pretty good. Lynx is amazing at racing storm opponents, and catching stumbling decks off guard. The fact that it's a terrible topdeck lategame is not really that relevant, since ape is similarly bad. Because of the lynx I ended up running the full 12 fetches. Price of progress was a test instead of knight of the reliquary, because as I see it both cards are mainly for providing reach during slow games. I tried terravore in a similar vein, thinking it would synergize better with lavamancers, as well as being good vs tribal decks with wastelands and dudes with low toughness. Also I hate running horizon canopies. My favorite card that I tested out were the fireblasts. There were at least two games that I was able to "oops I win" my opponent with them. Also they kill corelhelm commander, which I find surprisingly relevant.

The board is pretty standard I think. In the future for my meta I would cut the grips. Counterbalance was not that popular, and against random artifact decks I have pridemages.

On to the games!

Round 1: Drew with.... epic storm?

I Win the roll and keep a standard hand with a nacatl, goyf, and burn. He brainstorms at the end of my second turn, and then we are re-paired! Awkward....

Turns out that some people started playing against the wrong opponents, with some other added complication. Honestly I'm not sure what happened, but it was a strange way to start the day.

Actual round 1: Newton with saito 'folk sans wastelands

Game 1
    He wins the roll and mulls to six. I keep a hand with 2x lavamancer, path, and pridemange. He leads with a vial, and I let him tick it up/play another while playing my ‘mancer turn 2, playing around daze. He vials in a cursecatcher and then untaps into reejery + corelhelm. I play my second ‘mancer and pass. He forces my path on his commander and beats me for 5. I let another hit through while playing more beasts. I then just untap, bolt his reejery and blast his commander. A third lavamancer + goyf clean it up.

Board: -2 price of progress -1 lynx, +3 pyroblast
    Lynx is the worst 1 drop to have against his deck in my opinion, especially since he could be running stifles. Price of progress is obviously bad against him, esp. with no wastelands.

Game 2
    We both mulligan to 6. I keep a hand with goyf, pridemage and 2x bolt. He goes t1 vial while I lay a goyf. He vials in adept, uptaps, lays 2 cursecatcher, and attacks his adept into my 1/2 goyf. I block and bolt his catcher, eating his adept. I beat him for a few turns with my goyf and a pridemage. He eventually perishes me, but it's too late, and I just untap and helix + fireblast gets there.

1-0

Round 2: Alan with mono-red goblins

Alan is a RIT local who I pretty much know is going to be on goblins.

Game 1
    I lose the roll and keep sick hand of wild nacatl, 2x lavamancer, a path and a bolt. He goes turn 1 lackey, and I fetch and play a cat. In retrospect I should have just bolted the lackey, but I wasn't expecting goblins to be running bolt. Of course he just untaps and bolts my dude, and even my 2x lavamancers cannot stabilize against his ringleader into multiple gempalms.

Board: Nothing. I wanted to board out the PoPs but I had nothing good to put in.

Game 2
    I keep a hand with lavamancer, 2 paths, and burn. I bolt his lacky in response to his turn two incinerator aimed at my lavamancer, and continue to kill all his dudes with paths for a few turns. When he gets to 5 lands he taps out to play warchief + winter orb (wat), while I am on 2 untapped lands with an active 'mancer. I then proceed to 'mance everything he attempts to play for the rest of the game, and a ripped wild nacatl gets there eventually.

Game 3:
    He mulls to 6 and I keep a hand with 2x goyf, bolt, helix. I bolt his turn one lackey and goyfs get there with almost no opposition.

2-0

Round 3: Jake w/ cantrip tendrils

Jake is an RIT tournament regular, and is a member of our illustrius power-winning club.

Game 1:
    I win the roll and keep a 2x lynx, 2x bolt, helix and fetches hand. I lead with a lynx and he goes t1 duress off of a sea. My heart sinks as I realize I am obviously playing storm combo... boo. He takes my helix, and even though I quickly smash him to 9, he goes off with iggy and gets me. Thankfully he was one mana short of being able to use his singleton rhystic tutor... I might have just conceded the whole match if that had happened.

Board: -4 path -2 lavamancer, +3 mindbreak trap +3 teeg. I realized after this match that I should just board in my crypts to combat iggy, as lavamancers are just way too slow when I need to be curving out or just doming him w/ bolts.

Game 2:
    I keep a hand with lynx, teeg, chain lightning, and some other burn.
    He only needs to preordain twice before deathmarking my turn 2 teeg and getting me with iggy.

2-1

Round 4: Ning with Monoblue merfolk

My opponent was a cool guy I had never met before, and this ended up being one of the more interesting matches of the day.

Game one: I lose the roll, and keep a hand with lynx, lavamancer, goyf, 2 helixes, plains, taiga. Ning leads with island vial, and I baited the daze with my turn one lynx, which he has. He upps vial, plays a waste and passes. At this point my only red source is a taiga, but I figure I should just try and stick a ‘mancer and draw into a red source later since he has no pressure. ‘mancer sticks, my taiga is wasted, and he simply passes the turn. We play draw go for a turn or two, since I still have no red sources (cannot attack into an untapped vial either,) and he apparently has nothing but lands and vials. Eventually I topdeck a basic forest to go with my basic plains, and drop a goyf. On his turn he vials in a corehelm commander and begins to level it up. At this point my goyf cannot race, but luckily I topdeck a red source. Helix on commander, goyf and active 'mancer quickly wrap the game up.

board: -2 price of progress -1 lynx, +3 pyroblast

Game 2: I keep a hand with lavamancer, pridemage x2, fireblast, path. He has a hand of t1 vial, t2 cursecatcher, turn 3 commander + start leveling. The only problem is that he has no blue sources. I just play a turn 2 lavamancer and sit back. On my third turn I draw another pridemage, and ship the turn back, leaving mana open to deal with his commander. He attempts to level up the commander, and I path. He forces the path and I am put in the awkward position of having to fireblast away my only two lands or lose quickly to a 4/4 flyer. He passes back to me and I draw another irrelevant card, unable to attack into an untapped vial. We then play draw go for 4-5 turns, me drawing a single land and him drawing... not islands. He eventually vials in kira great glass spinner at my EoT, then untaps and casts jitte. I rip my second land like a champ and lay a gigantic goyf. He then realizes the awkward combination of jitte and kira when he tries to equip her on his turn.... whoops. Goyf then starts doing what he does best, outracing 2/2 flyers. He plays a chalice at 1 at some point, but it doesn't matter, and my helix + lavamancer burn him out.

3-1

Round 5: Monfredo with G/b Goblins

Monfredo plays goblins at basically every RIT tournament, and usually does pretty well, so I know this could be a hard match.

Game 1: I win the roll and keep an iffy hand with lynx, path, lavamancer, and multiple helixes missing a red land. I go t1 lynx, and miss on a land while he starts clogging the board with goblin war marshals. I path his goblin chieftan and one of the marshals, but my lone lynx does a poor job of holding the fort. Eventually I draw into a red source to turn on my 3 helixes and lavamancer, but it's too late and he overwhelms me with seige-gang tokens + lord.

Board: nothing

Game 2: I keep a hand with wild nacatl, goyf, pridemage, and a little burn, with my plan being just to play bigger dudes then him. This essentially happens, as he is on the back-foot all game playing little dudes, and he is quickly forced to start chumping or dealing with my animals. He eventually perishes away by board, but I just burn him out on my turn.

Game 3:
    I keep a similar hand with lynx, wild nacatl, helix, and path for any lackey. I path his turn one lackey, and play nacatl and lynx on my turn 2, thinking I am in a pretty good position. Unfortunately for me, I had no idea that goblins plays this spicy little card called pyrokinesis, and once he blows up my board EoT it's essentially over.

3-2

At this point I know I am probably out of top 8, but want to play for top 16 and invitational points.

Round 6: Nick with the epic storm

I get paired against a really cool guy who I think I have seen at vestal before but never got to talk to.

Game 1: I win the roll and keep an ok hand with lots of spells and a t1 wild nacatl, but only one land. I attack him for 2 and..... the game is over since he just chants and iggs me out.

At this point I was pretty depressed by the prospect of losing to an abysmal matchup in the last round.

Board: This time I board in the crypts, taking out the rest of the lavamancers and 1 chain lightning, because it's not a good trick in response to nauseum, and doesn't help me curve out.
    -4 path to exile, -4 grim lavamancer -1 chain lightning
    +3 mindbreak trap, +3 teeg, +3 crypt

Game 2: I keep a hand with mindbreak trap, wild nacatl x2, pridemage and fetches. I quickly smash him with my cat army, with him duressing away my mindbreak trap at some point. I get him down to 11 with a board of 2x nacatl and 1x pridemage with 3 lands before he starts chanting me. He then casts ad naus with no mana floating. He draws a buttload of cards, including an LED. I let him play it out, hoping he makes a mistake, and he ends up making two: he silenced me for no reason (he knew what was in my hand) with petal mana which left him short later, and he gave me a chance to pridemage his LED while he still had cards in hand. This leaves him in the very awkward position of not being able to kill me with tedrils, so he does the next best thing and grapeshots my team and my dome for 7. Unfortunately for him I rip a goyf which is more than lethal when it hits the next turn.

Game 3: I keep hand with 2x trap, chain lightning, terravore and land. This was another very awkward game. I rip a crypt and throw it down, while he catrips. I bolt him a few times while he duresses away both of my traps. He then makes some kind of strange error that involves him shuffling away a card he brainstormed with an infernal tutor, which he uses to get another dark ritual. He draws for his next turn, realizes his error, and ends up with a hand full of rits. Terravore lands and kills him in a few swings.

4-2

In the end I felt like a dork for winning purely on opponent punting, but a win is a win I guess.

I ended up 14th w/ tiebreaks, which was enough to get my entry fee back in credit + some invitational points.

Props:
    Will and Jupiter Games for running a solid tournament with great prizes
    Not having to sit in a car for 3 hours to play magic
    Meeting new people and seeing new faces
    Enjoying the roomy and well-lit venue

Slops:
    My roommate for going 0-2 drop and 0-1 drop in the side event, cursing his new playmat forever
    DCI reporter for being obnoxious all day

Re: [Report] 14th/55 At RIT Legacy with Zoo

Nice report, well written and lots of interesting detail :) against the Goblins matchups, I might have boarded in the teegs simply because it's another dude to swing/block as needed and the PoPs simply don't really do anything... Just a thought

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

It doesn't suprise me that you won in the last round, storm players always seem to find a way to lose to themselves. Bad ones that is. Solid Report.

Get Money, Ghost
    Oct 2005
    Albany

Quote Originally Posted by troopatroop View Post
    It doesn't suprise me that you won in the last round, storm players always seem to find a way to lose to themselves. Bad ones that is. Solid Report.
    There were mitigating circumstances.
    Team Rehab- We Keep Coming Back For More
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam View Post
    Legacy is like Japan. We don't make stuff, we just make stuff better.

BZK Powertool

Jul 2009
    Glens Falls, NY

Quote Originally Posted by troopatroop View Post
    It was my first tournament ever playing combo. So I went in knowing I was going to make mistakes - likely which would cost me a game here or there. That my other two losses were to some exceptional players in freakish777 and smelski i just treated as learning experiences. Same with the last game. I will likely never forget to play my LEDs out last again when there is something that can destroy them in play (or in my opponents hand). While I'm not happy that I made mistakes my first time piloting, I can live with getting better as a result.
    Will says I'm in BZK. I don't know what is going on.

Thread Information