Thread: Green mana and bombs

Sep 2007
    GA

Green mana and bombs

Since this is the budget forum, I'll post here. I'm trying to build decks for under $150 to get people interested in playing Legacy in my area. Trying to get it to the point that it isn't jank and doesn't roll over against a more developed meta. Any thoughts and comments on this deck are appreciated.

Lands: 23
    23 Forest

Creatures: 21
    4 Wall of Roots
    4 Wall of Blossoms
    4 Overgrown Battlement
    2 Stampeding Wildebeests
    3 Eternal Witness
    3 Sundering Titan
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

Stuff: 16
    4 Ancient Stirrings
    4 Root maze
    4 Defense Grid
    4 Tooth and Nail

It's a pretty rough list and would most likely need a lot of work. Ancient Stirrings is questionable, though with some list modification could be useful in the list since it can nab lands, artifacts, and Eldrazi. Sylvan Library, Carven Caryatid, or City of Solitude also looks like something I should consider main deck, but what would I cut?. Genesis Wave also looked interesting to use, but I wasn't too sure if I could abuse it nearly as much as I wanted.

As for the Sideboard I was thinking of the following

3 Krosan Grip
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    4 Pithing Needle
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Relic of Progenitus

Dec 2006
    Spain

Re: Green mana and bombs

You can get old list of LEDLess Ichorid for 150$ (without Bloodghast and Paradise), or less if you search a little. It's competitive and fun.

Sep 2007
    GA

I already know that, and I do have the pieces to build it except for Tireless Tribe ironically since I had the LED version, but I'm not sure if this area is ready for it. Not many people in my new area play Legacy, though a good bit play Standard. I'm trying to get them into the format and cost is somewhat of an issue (though I personally don't see it as an excuse since Standard costs just about as much as Legacy now). This is also a pretty decent thought exercise as well since I will be testing this against some decks I already have and maybe some online just to see reactions.

Apr 2007
    Norway

I don't think Ancient Stirrings has a place in this deck, instead I would consider one of the following:
    Garruk Wildspeaker - Gives a mana boost and can be a finisher by himself if you need him to be. Not very synergistic with Walls though, so might not be the card you are looking for.

Ratchet Bomb - Possibly not the right deck for this card. Your walls will be adequate to deal with 1 cc creatures. You don't really want to blow it up at 2 cc. This means it's job might be mainly hitting 3 cc and above, Planeswalkers being an obvious target. Still not sold on this one though.

Kitchen Finks - For stalling the early game even more, giving you more time to get bombs onto the battlefield.

Chalice of the Void - (Possibly too expensive?). You can play this at x=1 without hindering yourself too much, but it does clog up the 2 cc spot quite a bit. Running this would also warrant running Ancient Tomb, which I'm not sure is a good idea.

Wickerbough Elder - Beater (a rather small one, compared with Tarmogoyf) that double as artifact and enchantment-removal. Woodfall Primus is another possibility here, but it's a bit too high on the curve.

Sylvan Library looks promising as a 2 or 3-of.

I would also want to replace Defense Grid with City of Solitude, but this increases the cost of the deck slightly without significantly improving it.
    "Don't let your mind wander - it might not come back." -Braids, dementia summoner

Sep 2007
    GA

I forgot all about Wickerbough Elder and Finks. Great suggestions. I'm actually more taking it along a green control route now.

I'm not too worried about the costs yet as the cards for the most part are incredibly cheap and ignored.

23 Forest

Creatures: 23
    4 Yavimaya Dryad
    4 Wall of Blossoms
    4 Overgrown Battlement
    3 Stampeding Wildebeests
    3 Kitchen Finks
    3 Eternal Witness
    2 Acidic Slime

Stuff: 15
    2 Desert Twister
    2 Centaur Glade
    3 Sylvan Library
    4 Root maze
    4 City of Solitude

Sideboard: 15
    3 Wickerbough Elder
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    4 Pithing Needle
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Relic of Progenitus

I still feel it needs work, although using Genesis Wave is more feasible with this list due to lower casting costs.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Wall of Roots seems like it works here too, and gives you more mana boost to work with Battlement. Any thoughts about Plow Under?
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Feb 2005
    Fremont, Nebraska

Commune with Nature is far less restrictive than Ancient Stirrings, and serves the same purpose. I see you have the old Seth Burns combo of Stampeding Wildebeests and Wall of Blossoms from his tourney winning deck Stupid Green (old man pauses for momentary warm fuzzy feeling.) You might consider reducing or eliminating Overgrown Battlements and filling out the Wildebeests or even adding a Stampeding Serow or two.
    You can't kill my Zombies - they're already dead!
    Shoes for Industry!
    Reality is for people who can't deal with Middle Earth.
    Too much is never enough - I'm addicted to MORE!!!

Thread Information