View Poll Results: Should Mystical Tutor be unbanned?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the metagame would keep Reanimator and Tendrils in check

74 39.78%
  • No, Reanimator and Tendrils are too broken for the current format

90 48.39%
  • I'm not sure.

22 11.83%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Should Wizards unban Mystical Tutor now? What do you guys think?

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

Re: Should Wizards unban Mystical Tutor now? What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeyMikey View Post
    I guess it depends on your definition of broken. I would argue that Tarmogoyf is a format warping card. Probably moreso than any non-FoW card in the format since the split, excepting perhaps SotF. Every deck that sees play is constructed with Tarmogoyf in mind. Can I race 'goyf and Nacatl? Can my creatures punch through an opposing 'goyf? Can I/should I splash green for 'goyf? Since it's printing until the recent wave of Vengevival decks, it was an auto-include in every green deck and such a strong splash card that decks would splash green just for 'goyf. Tarmogoyf warps the format around itself. I don't know that it necessarily qualifies as broken; that depends on how you define broken.
    I don't think Tarmogoyf is warping the format now as it was back then. You mentioned Vengevine decks which don't primarily run Goyf anymore, that should be a hint of Tarmogoyf's decreased presence since its printing. Tarmogoyf is definitely an influential card, but it's not format warping. Merfolk's presence and dominance in the format has influenced control decks to play cards like Peacekeeper over the best swarm-answer of all time, Moat, because Merfolk's counterspells and tribal swarms pressure the control decks to run faster answers. Tarmogoyf on its best day couldn't influence a change like that.

Oct 2009
    altered states of america

Tarmogoyf's power level will never change unless they push this ridiculous power creep mind-bendingly further

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Tarmogoyf has never been 'warping the format,' it's just that people think swinging with creatures should be a viable strategy in Eternal formats, and so they get upset when only one creature is really viable.

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Meekrab View Post
    Tarmogoyf has never been 'warping the format,' it's just that people think swinging with creatures should be a viable strategy in Eternal formats, and so they get upset when only one creature is really viable.
    What? Yeah he's definitely been format warping, more so in the past. As to whether on not that's a bad thing is another matter. I happen to enjoy Goyf. The fact that the two best preforming creature decks right now both don't run Goyf should tell you something though. I think before Goyf came out Goblin Lackey was too format warping, since every deck absolutely had to either answer him turn 1 or win regardless of whether or not he connected and dropped Commander. It takes the format a while to adjust, but now Goyf isn't quite the powerhouse he was in the past. At least for the time being, though that may change.

Quote Originally Posted by Piceli89 View Post
    Metagame speculations apart, I came to the conclusion, after a lot of rage, that Mystical tutor was objectively too broken, not in the way that it could fetch you the anti-hate cards (which isn't exactly true because no one ever Mysticaled for a Grip in response to Counterbalance, that costed too much resources and maybe Tutor was also the only business in a hand full of mana), but it often allowed for auto-kills that were extremely consistent and too fast. And all the deck was so well designed to be both explosive and resilient to hate that it really was unbeatable for every non-blue, non-Counterbalance deck. Obviously shit happened even with ANT, but being 3 colours and with a solid manabase allowed to avoid opening sketchy hands, like what happens in TES.
    While I agree with most of your idea I'm pretty sure plenty of people have Tutored for Grip in response to opponent playing CBalance.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

Quote Originally Posted by dontbiteitholmes View Post
    While I agree with most of your idea I'm pretty sure plenty of people have Tutored for Grip in response to opponent playing CBalance.
    Guilty.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

Stay frosty.
    Apr 2009
    New York City

Quote Originally Posted by dontbiteitholmes View Post
    I have done this before. It's pretty decent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Tartell View Post
    Have to ask one of those West coasters about recreational purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DownSyndromeKarl View Post
    A baby seal walks into a club.
    West Coast Legacy

Thread Information