Thread: [Tournament] October 24th - Maryland - Legacy for a Mox (Brainstorm Comics)

Sep 2005
    Maryland (Frederick)

[Tournament] October 24th - Maryland - Legacy for a Mox (Brainstorm Comics)

[Tournament] October 24th - Maryland - Legacy for a Mox (Brainstorm Comics)

Date: Sunday, October 24, 2010
    Time: Store opens and registration begins at 11:00AM, tournament begins at 12:15PM.
    Type: Sanctioned Legacy! Competitive REL - While the primary focus of the tournament is still fun, prizes are too significant to run this at a lower REL.
    Decklists: Needed for this tournament. Blank deck registration sheets will be available onsite.
    Entry Fee: $25 USD

177 Thomas Johnson Drive # B
    Frederick, MD 21702

Important note: This is a different location than the previous tournaments I have held in the Frederick area. Brainstorm Comics is a shop that has been in Frederick for decades, mostly focused on comics, while still selling retail gaming products. They recently moved the comic shop to a new location, whilst converting the old location into gaming (specifically m:tg) only. This location, unlike TFP, will be able to easily accomodate 50 players.

Food:
    Italian restaurant next door (name is escaping me right now...) - My personal recommendation for the day. They have a full bar, fairly comprehensive Italian menu, and will likely run a pizza special for the day to accomodate the more budget conscious :)
    Subway - right next to the shop
    Roy Rogers - across the parking lot
    Weis Market - at the end of the strip mall; a grocery store with a deli inside

GUARANTEED PRIZES
    16 players - Payout to top 4
    1st - 4x Force of Will
    2nd - 4x Wasteland
    3rd - 4x Polluted Delta
    4th - 4x Flooded Strand

24 players - Payout to top 4
    1st - Mox Jet, unlimited, signed, VF
    2nd - 4x Wasteland
    3rd - 4x Polluted Delta
    4th - 4x Flooded Strand

28 players - Payout to top 6
    *Single playoff round for losers of quarterfinals matches - Pick order determined by Swiss standings*
    2nd - 4x Wasteland
    3rd - 4x Polluted Delta
    4th - 4x Flooded Strand
    5th - Force of Will
    6th - Force of Will

32 players - Payout to top 8
    *Swiss standings to determine pick order for 5th-8th*
    2nd - 4x Force of Will
    3rd - 4x Wasteland
    4th - 4x Polluted Delta
    5th - Force of Will
    6th - Force of Will
    7th - Force of Will
    8th - Force of Will

40 players - Payout to top 8
    *Swiss standings to determine pick order for 5th-8th*
    2nd - 4x Force of Will + From the Vault:Relics
    3rd - 4x Wasteland + Tundra
    4th - 4x Polluted Delta + Tropical Island
    5th - Force of Will
    6th - Force of Will
    7th - Force of Will
    8th - Force of Will

More than that:
    TBD, but be assured, prizes will be scaled appropriately!

There will, of course, be some flexibility as far as prize buyback, cash splits, prize trade-ins, etc. If anyone has any questions or needs more info, please post below! Also, post below if you're gonna be able to make it!!

At our last tournament in the Frederick area, there were 31 players, so we went with the prizes as posted for 32 players (I know, I'm too nice!). Prizes taken for reference:
    1st - The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale (English)
    2nd - FTV: Relics and $50 cash
    3rd - Tropical Island and $45 cash
    4th - Tropical Island and Volcanic Island
    5th-8th - One revised dual land each (Plateau, Taiga, Badlands, and Scrubland)

Side Events:
    At the behest of players, we ran a side event at our last tournament ($7 entry, 8-man single elimination, Els.v.Tezz for 1st and 2nd, plus a Summer AQ Mishra's Factory for 1st). Based on the success of this side event, plus the increased square footage at this venue...
    Sanctioned Legacy Side Events
    8-man single elimination
    $10 entry fee
    Signups start after round 2
    Prizes: TBD, Will edit once I've figured this out :)

Buying and Selling:
    Yep.

*To be mirror posted on theSource, Salvation, 02drop.com*
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Rotten View Post
    Extirpate reminds me of the little kids who mills you with some bad milling card looking carefully at the cards that hit the yard and then says, "ha! I just milled your StP. Now you can't use it."

Jul 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland

Re: [Tournament] October 24th - Maryland - Legacy for a Mox (Brainstorm Comics)

Bumping! As in, this tournament will be bumping!

Check out Day 1 details of the MD Legacy Weekend here: MARYLAND LEGACY WEEKEND

This tournament was sanctioned but it's results were returned by the dci, and jrp hasn't replied to my pm. It's frustrating as I did well in this tournament, and I'd like to have that reflected in my dci rating...

Sep 2005
    Maryland (Frederick)

Sorry, I don't usually log in to check my PMs, so I'm glad you put something here. I'm checking into this with the store/TO and will keep everyone apprised of my findings in this thread.

Thanks,
    Jimmy

Edit: Info on the tournament
    32 players
    Finals were split by Nick Walters (Countertop+Painter) and Paul Lynch (GWu Survival)

We ran one Legacy side event which was won by Jarvis Yu playing Countertop

I'm also seeing if I can get ahold of the decklists from the tournament...
    Last edited by jrp; 11-04-2010 at 02:28 PM. Reason: More info
    Extirpate reminds me of the little kids who mills you with some bad milling card looking carefully at the cards that hit the yard and then says, "ha! I just milled your StP. Now you can't use it."

As of the tenth, there has yet to be any changes to the tournament status, no more info from jimmy, and even emailing the event coordinator, james buckingham has led to no solution or even communication... In the future I think I'll avoid brainstorm comics legacy events, as they don't seem very concerned with having their tournament results reported to the dci.

Sep 2005
    Maryland (Frederick)

Update for y'all: James B. contacted Scott L. at Wizards on 11/5 to begin tracking down the issue. Scott acknowledged that he was able to see what the issue was, but wasn't able to disclose any information other than there was a problem on Wizards' side. Scott has taken the initiative to solve the issue, and doesn't believe that any additional steps need to be taken by the TO.

@Zaresiy (and others) - Sorry for the lack of communication, I was hoping the tournament would be reflected in this week's update, but obviously it's not. I can assure you that I (and Brainstorm) do care about these events being reported, and have taken the appropriate steps to facilitate a speedy resolution. I don't think I given anyone a reason to not trust my integrity; I try really hard to make sure everyone has a good time at these events and that things run as smoothly as possible. I'm disappointed that this not being resolved within a week has soured your opinion of me and these tournaments enough that you take to public slandering :'-( I hope to see you again at one of these and get a chance to change your mind...

Thread Information