Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Secret Santa 2010 ~ The Fat Bastard is Back!!!

Dec 2006
    Minnesota

Secret Santa 2010 ~ The Fat Bastard is Back!!!

Attention:

This thread and the activities herein are not endorsed by or affiliated with The Source website, we are simply utilizing the community space to facilitate the event. Please direct any issues or comments pertaining to SS 2010 to myself unless they are of a more general nature. Basically, the mods don't want to work out any problems with unhappy recipients or packages not sent, etc. and they don't want any negativity to reflect on the site. Obviously I expect that everyone who elects to join this year is going to honor their commitments and if unable, will take the initiative to contact myself with a valid explanation. Please do your part to make it a positive experience for all involved.

Thanks,

Andrew

SS 2010:

54 Participants! BAM!!! Beat last year's number!

USA

Aggro_zombies US - S 12/8 R
    anonymos US - S 12/4 R
    Brad Herbig US - S 12/3 R
    coraz86 US - S 12/7 R
    cwt1220 US - S 12/7 R
    dahcmai US - S 12/6 R
    dan who? US - S 12/3 R
    Getsickanddie US - S 12/10 R
    gravemind123 US - S 12/10 R
    kusumoto US - S 12/7 R
    Iare US - S 12/3 R
    lebron jim US - S 12/10 R
    lorddotm US - S 12/14 R
    Magic Fanatic US - S 12/2 R
    majikal US - S 12/14 R
    mchainmail US - S 12/14 R
    Morbid- US - S 12/9 R
    n00bas4urus_r3x US - S 12/something R
    Parax US - S 12/8 R
    Pastorofmuppets US - S 12/20 R
    rockout US - S 12/7 R
    ramanujan US - S 12/6 R
    Roman Candle US - S 12/9 R
    Samantha US - S 12/2 R
    samurai_socks US - S 12/6 R
    say no to scurvy US - S 12/19 Arriving Soon!
    Sunshine US - S 12/11 R
    Yesmilord US - S 12/something R

Worldwide

android US - S 12/6 Arriving Soon!
    balthor CA - S 12/5 R
    Ben CA - S 12/2 R
    dsck FI - S 12/7 R
    DuxDucis CA - S 12/6 R
    entity LT - S 12/7 R
    Ertai's Familiar US - S 12/22 R
    Felidae DE - S 12/8 Arriving Soon!
    geosgaen0 ID - S 12/7 R
    jamied1981 CA - S 12/2 R
    Julian23 DE - S 12/20 R
    kiblast IT - S 12/3 R
    kilukru CA - S 12/3 R
    LegacyDan US - S 12/10 R
    Lorgalis PT - S 12/7 R
    luma FI - S 12/7 R
    Nidd DE - S 12/13 R
    Occam SG - S 12/13 R
    oRen DE - S 12/15 R
    PhanTom_It GB - S 12/13 R
    PICC CA - S 12/6 R
    Shursh RU - S 12/20 R
    TheArchitect US - S 12/3 R
    tsabo_tavoc GB - S 12/3 R
    Whippoorwill US - S 12/10 R
    Zlatzman No - S 12/8 R

Contest Section:

PRIZES!!! BTW, I know some of these prizes are ridiculous. That's deliberate. Not everyone is going to get some $20 card.

prizes 1
    prizes 2
    prizes 3

Anonymous donation: Japanese Tarmogoyf!

...many more to come!!!

1. Random Door Prizes!!!

WINNERS!!!

balthor (Karn) - S 12/6 R
    coraz86 (Mirari) - S 12/6 R
    cwt1220 (Mox Diamond) - S 12/2 R
    dahcmai (Steve) - S 12/6 R
    dsck (Trini) - S 12/6 R
    DuxDucis (Black Vise) - S 12/6 R
    Ertai's Familiar (Jester's Cap) - S 12/6 R
    gravemind123 (Sundering Titan) - S 12/6 R
    jamied1981 (Aether Vial Playset) - S 12/2 R
    kiblast (Ivory Tower) - S 12/6 R
    kusumoto (Sol Ring) - S 12/2 R
    Magic Fanatic (Disk) - S 12/2 R
    Morbid- (Blackcleave Cliffs playset) - S 12/6 R
    n00bas4urus_r3x (Memory Jar) - S 12/6 R
    Pastorofmuppets (Scepter) - S 12/6 R
    ramanujan (Sword of Body and Mind) - S 12/2 R
    Roman Candle (Masticore) - S 12/6 R?
    Samantha (Plateau) - S 12/2 R
    sunshine (Zuran Orb) - S 12/6 R
    Whippoorwill (Japanese Tarmogoyf) - S 12/2 R

2. Santa Alter
    a. about 100 slivers - dahcmai - S 12/6 R
    b. stupid land pack: foil Swamp, foil Snow-Covered Mountain, foil Snow-Covered Island, P3K Island, Starter Island x 4, P1 Island x 2, Japanese Zendikar ff Island, Japanese BB 4th Island x 2, Japanese BB 4th Forest, some Russian 9th lands, various language Ice Age lands/Snow-Covered lands. - kiblast - S 12/6 R

3. The Ultimate R/G Decklist - 40 card deck no sideboard. Cards limited to Alpha through Mirage/Visions/Weatherlight and subject to current B/R restrictions (kinda).
    a. promo pack including: foil Jaya (Walmart promo), Japanese JSS Mad Auntie promo, MPR Psionic Blast, DCI Mind Control, DCI Yixilid Jailer, Prerelease Emrakul & Steel Hellkite. - tsabo_tavoc - S 12/6 R
    b. stupid elf pack: Japanese Eladamri, Lord of Leaves, heedless One, Wirewood Symbiote, Alpha Status, Wellwisher, Timberwatch Elf, Fyndhorn Elves, Russian Wood Elves, Revised Llanowar Elves, Quirion Elves, Urborg Elf, Viridian Shaman, foil Japanese Jagged-Scar Archers, foil Japanese Overrun + 3 non-foil Overrun. - dahcmai - S 12/6 R
    c. stupid Legacy card pack: Japanese Narcomeoba, Japanese Ponder, Italian Counterspell, Japanese Disrupt, Japanese Oblivion Ring, Cabal Ritual playset, Pyrexian Walker playset, Night's Whisper, Deep Analysis, Rhystic Study, Street Wraith, Nimble Mongoose, Cephalid Illusionist, Cephalid Sage, Bad Ass (signed), Freyalise's Radiance (signed), Confusion in the Ranks (signed), Chromeshell Crab (signed), Japanese BB Craw Wurm & German WB Craw Wurm. - Brad Herbig - S 12/6 R

...and that's what I've come up with. I need input and support so anyone that wishes to assist in coordinating this thing send me a PM. I'm going to solicit certain vendors for some prize support or presence here so we can make this thing HUGE (or huger at least).

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Okay, here we are entering a new holiday season. A season that just wouldn't be complete without a little bit of cheer, some hot elves (Yes Alliances Elvish Ranger #67 I'm talking to both of you), and a few liters of Trappistes Rochefort 10.

Last year seemed to be a huge success for 99% of the participants and I see no reason why we can't knock it out of the park for 2010. There were some very generous gifts given and some super fun times.

Because I'm first in the door, I guess I'll just get the ball rolling. We proposed a number of great ideas last year that I think we should incorporate to make things a bit more festive. A Santa alter contest, some Christmas tree lands and maybe some prize pools outside of the normal gift giving. So here are some proposals and some rules/guidelines;

Each participant must PMs me their contact information (Name, address, etc.) acknowledging their commitment to this year's SS by December 1st. I'll do my best to match up people in close proximity to keep postage costs at a minimum and also to expedite delivery time.

At that point, the contest will be open and all submissions should come via email so that we can post all entries for a secret vote. You should still send in your alters along with your SS gift to your recipient and we'll reveal the winner in time to send out the "prize" package.

I'm open to suggestions on this - send donated prize items/cash/Paypal/etc to a trustworthy person who will then distribute in time for Christmas. I want some help from some trusted members here as I want everyone to feel at ease with sending knowing they'll be receiving.

Which brings us to value limits/thresholds. I think it's typically at least $20 worth of cards (and that doesn't mean 40/50¢ cards). Mostly the items should be Legacy staples so everyone would do well to post a wish list and if you like post some of what you intend to deliver as that will be incentive for others to raise the bar. Please add some fun stuff as well such as related Magic stuff (counters, playmats, whatever).

Obviously everyone is not going to be able to send out $200 worth of cards and the expectation is not there. If you do want to send out a big package, please don't expect that you'll automatically get the same value in return. This is about having fun and celebrating the Legacy community during the holidays. Judging from last year though, most participants were quite generous.

So prior to sending me your address and commitment, let's have a brainstorming session about what we would like to do as far as a holiday theme alteration contest, prize pool, other related activities, & etc.

Some ideas:

Santa Alteration on Legacy Staple
    Design your own Snow-covered Land (set?)
    Holiday themed Land set (maybe panorama lands?)
    Elf theme or alterd Llanowar Elves?

Prize pool stuff? If we do money maybe we can buy something everyone agrees on? A box of the newest set? A nice playset off Ebay? I don't know, let's discuss.

I need volunteers that can vouch or be vouched for. I'm an honest, hard-working guy but I don't really have a long standing presence here to back me up. I just love Legacy, enjoy the holidays and had tons of fun last year ramping up to this.

Let's Do It!!!

Discuss.....
    Last edited by android; 01-18-2011 at 03:34 PM.

Re: The Source Secret Santa 2010 ~ The Fat Bastard is Back!!!

I'd love to take part, but sadly I lack the cards to give. I hope everyone else enjoys.

As for the alteration contest, I think that Legacy staples might be a better prize than boosters. Boosters tend to rarely have eternal useable cards in them.

EDIT: Would something along the lines of a fetch or two+a pile of common staples be too cheap? It's all I can basically do at this point. I'm afraid of looking like scrooge...

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

I'm in, as per usual. Last year I sent out a City of Traitors and a bunch of little stuff. My collection goes through phases, and right now it's pretty sweet. I love everyone here (except sometimes IBA), and someone's going to be very happy this season.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

Brad Herbig

I'm totally in too. I had a great time with it last year, and so did the person who got my package. Good times had all around.

Wish List:
    ***German Non-foil Storm cards (German Tempest Dark Rituals would be my favorite :D )*** I would love to pimp out my 3c TES.
    2 Dark Confidant
    3 Wasteland
    2 Grim Lavamancer
    Awesome Stuff for Intet, the Dreamer EDH!

Christmas Decklists!
    R/G Control
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Channel
    2 Disintegrate
    4 Wall of Roots
    4 Earthquake
    4 Mana Flare
    4 Rampant Growth
    4 Sylvan Library

4 Taiga
    2 Snow-Covered Mountain
    4 Snow-Covered Forest

A Very Kobold Christmas
    4 Crimson Kobolds
    4 Crookshank Kobolds

4 Kobold Taskmaster
    4 Kobold Drill Sergeant
    2 Kobold Overlord

4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Gauntlet of Might
    4 Disintegrate

10 Snow-Covered Mountain

Christmas Alter:

I did my alter in MS Paint due to lack of a scanner and paint... But I think it still turned out alright :)
    Last edited by Brad Herbig; 11-29-2010 at 02:34 PM.

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

i'd really love to do this...shame is that i live overseas, any chances that i can partecipate? first class mail overseas for a couple playsets only costs 2-3$....i would send some nice cards!

And of course i'd like to partecipate to Santa Altered legacy staple contest!
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

Stay frosty.
    Apr 2009
    New York City

I just "need" up to these amounts, less more than ok.

I Dream About (I am aware that I probably will not get these, but a man can dream):

2x FBB Underground Sea
    2x FBB Volcanic Island
    4x Japanese Lion's Eye Diamond
    4x Weatherlight Japanese Doomsday
    4x Japanese Foil Dark Ritual
    4x Japanese Foil Brainstorm

I Would Love

4x MM Foil Brainstorm
    1x Foil Scalding Tarn

I Would Like (Feel free to make any of these Japanese :P)

Any Legacy Staples would be lovely.

I am also really trying to Foil out DDFT and TES. So any common cards between them would love to be Jap Foil. I basically have all the English Foils except the ones posted, but I would love the Japanese ones. I only have 1x Foil Japanese Duress, so literally anything that I posted, plus others, in Jap Foil would be GREAT.
    Last edited by lorddotm; 11-30-2010 at 10:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Tartell View Post
    Have to ask one of those West coasters about recreational purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DownSyndromeKarl View Post
    A baby seal walks into a club.
    West Coast Legacy

Dec 2006
    Minnesota

@Peguinizer - Please don't feel like you need to keep up with the Joneses. Just know that you get what you give and from my experience, it's always worthwhile. I'm going to give as much as I can but don't expect so much in return. If I get as much or more, all the better but everyone should go into this with the joy of giving in mind. This is one of the few times where Legacy is less about the cash grab and more about the community. Once we get going, everyone will be asked to post a wish list and if all you have is a few fetches (which is a lot by the way), then just ask for something you'd like to add to your collection. It's kind of like trading but with a bunch of bonuses thrown in. Another part that I like is when people give hints at what they are throwing in, that really gets the juices flowing and people seem to build off that.

@kiblast - You should totally take part. The more folks overseas that participate, the easier shipping will be for everyone. I think we pair up people in the same countries first and then if we have an odd person out, I would always be happy to send overseas. Nobody should be left out that wishes to participate.

The only thing I'd like to stress is that anyone who signs up makes sure they follow through and send out on time. It's really a bummer when everyone gets something and then someone else makes an excuse or fails to send. Then it's on me or whoever else is helping out to fill in the gaps so everyone receives. I can handle two or three recipients but don't want to be on the line for 5-10 people who don't get a package. So in short, everyone be honest, communicate and be punctual.

RawR Bitch
    Sep 2007
    Norwich, CT

In.
    Co-Founder of Team Awesome - I heard Randy Buehler say a while back that good players give themselves the most number of turns to find the answer.
    The Source on MTGO - Predator8785 and RockOut
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Women come and go, turn one protection is forever.

Aug 2010
    Warwick, RI / Binghamton, NY

I'd like to get in on this, it seems fun.

Why stand on a silent platform?
    Aug 2006
    Surrey, BC

I'm in again.

If anyone is on the fence about participating, I've been in on this for three years in a row and I've never had a problem.

Edit:

Wish List
    Flametongue Kavu
    Cabal Therapy
    Magus of the Moon

or like last year anything blue, black, or red would be nice.
    Last edited by DuxDucis; 10-13-2010 at 12:09 PM.
    -Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    ...Pestermite is Jesus with wings.

Oct 2007
    Québec

Im in
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Dr. Ocatagonapus
    Jul 2007
    Fort Edward, NY

Count me in. Been wanting to do this for years, just never got around to it.

-Chris-
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    I dare you fuckers to play a forest against me, after I'm done with you it's going to look like a Peter North video.
    Team Level 4 Wizard
    neon_havoc
    TheBirdMan
    cwt1220
    Counterspell7

Jan 2009
    Plateau, Montreal

In.

Amen, brotha.
    Aug 2009
    Bamberg / Franconia / Bavaria / Germany

In, will give you my adress and stuff later, got to go to a tournament now.
    This looks like a job for me.

Most of my posts will be written from my phone, so please excuse the eventual lack of proper typing.

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by android View Post

@kiblast - You should totally take part. The more folks overseas that participate, the easier shipping will be for everyone. I think we pair up people in the same countries first and then if we have an odd person out, I would always be happy to send overseas. Nobody should be left out that wishes to participate.

The only thing I'd like to stress is that anyone who signs up makes sure they follow through and send out on time. It's really a bummer when everyone gets something and then someone else makes an excuse or fails to send. Then it's on me or whoever else is helping out to fill in the gaps so everyone receives. I can handle two or three recipients but don't want to be on the line for 5-10 people who don't get a package. So in short, everyone be honest, communicate and be punctual.
    ok, so i'm in.
    i'll pm you my infos later. Thanks a lot!

Ps: it would be much more interesting if, let's say me, from italy, receives a package from another European participant, and he receives something from me: To give this thing a more ''international proportion, so not only, lets say, France->France, Uk->Uk , but France->Italy, Uk->France and so on....
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

snooty tea cats

Jan 2008

Well I started TSS so I guess I will have to be in this year after missing last year. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ochoa
    Shuffles, much like commas, are useful for altering tempo to add feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    I just come for the pretty pictures and mono-trolls.

Dec 2006
    Minnesota

@kiblast - I'm pretty sure we won't have too many people from the same country signing up so as it goes, you'll likely be paired with someone from France or GB. I sure which some Japanese Magic players would sign up this year. :)

Anyhow, I've gotten PMs from a few of you so I've started a list on the first post. When you feel like you're committed, go ahead and send me your contact info. Then as is tradition, update your original post with a wishlist.

Wishlists should go something like this with cards listed as 3-tier (this is not my wishlist btw):

I had a dream about.....

Mox Ruby
    4 x BB Blue Duals
    4 x Japanese Foil Orim's Chant
    4 x Korean.....

If your feeling generous.....

1 x Mox Diamond
    1 x FoW
    1 x Tiaga

Staples I need to fill out sets....

Brainstorm
    EE
    SdT
    Folk Lords
    Igg
    Tendrils
    Madness stuff
    Vial
    etc.

So basically, list stuff you really want, what you need and what you could use. That whoever gets you has an idea of how best they can fulfill your Christmas wishes. Also, if you have a pet deck and you're trying to pimp it out, that would be helpful information to include. Maybe they don't have your foil Primeval Titans but they have some foil Mongrels or whatever. Let me know if I missing anything.

Last year, I threw around the idea of giving a complete deck (sans sideboard). I happen to have a couple decks like Slivers and Burn that actually wouldn't be too painful to part with. Problem being, there's no way I'm parting with my FoWs (the only playset I have so they have to swap from deck to deck) so maybe they would be replaced with gold bordered FoWs and I can't see giving up Trops as I don't even have 4 of them. As for burn, the only painful thing would be the Chain Lightnings as they are mint and not the kind of card you want to go and buy again. Too much substituting is lame so we'll see how this idea pans out.
    Last edited by android; 10-09-2010 at 06:15 PM.

Brad Herbig

@android - I don't think we should have people making wish lists for cards worth that much. If people want to send something expensive out of the goodness of their hearts, by all means do. But I don't think we should list that kind of stuff in our lists. I would say to keep it reasonable, like not moxen and japanese foil staples.

Why stand on a silent platform?
    Aug 2006
    Surrey, BC

Last year it took until post #9 for a outlandish wishlist. This year post #6.

Let's be reasonable...
    -Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    ...Pestermite is Jesus with wings.

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

I just bought an entire Nightmare Effect deck. I might be willing to part with it if you ask nicely enough.
    Oh yeah, wishlists...
    I'm not going to ask for Legacy staples or anything this year. I mean, I'd love to play Goblins, but my Wastelands were sold to get college books. And Ports cost as much as Wastes now.
    You really don't need to go crazy if you get me. Maybe like a set of Cabal Rituals or something.
    Oh, or 3 Bridge from Below and 3 Ichorid.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

Thread Information