Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Secret Santa 2010 ~ The Fat Bastard is Back!!!

Mar 2009
    Coon Rapids, MN

Re: The Source Secret Santa 2010 ~ The Fat Bastard is Back!!!

I'm in this year again too - I'll update with a wish list later.

The only one he ever feared
    Oct 2009
    Sweden's Jerusalem

Is it a problem to join if you're from Europe? I'm not sure if I'll participate in either case, since I don't really have any legacy staples to give away, but still...

Dec 2006
    Minnesota

I would encourage everyone who wishes to participate to join in. The more International we get the better. We'll work out shipping at a later date. For now, send me a PM with your name and address if you want to join and I'll add your name to the list. Worst case, I can always remove your name if you choose to drop out. Last year I think we had like 48 people so I'm thinking we'll beat that record this year.

I might be spoiling what I have, but would a couple of fetches be enough? I can pull out a few of the less useful ones out of my Highlander. I can always replace them with budget options.

Apr 2007
    Norway

I haven't got the most extensive collection, but I'll sign up for this anyway. I'm sure I'll find something decent to give away, got a couple of ideas already.

edited: I can ship worldwide

edited2:
    Wishlist!

Dreamlist:
    Lion's Eye Diamond
    Reset
    Playmat

Awesomelist:
    Zendikar fetches (or blue Onslaught-fetches)
    100 card deckbox for EDH (I play Dragons, but on-theme art isn't that important)
    Any non-Bolas, non-Chandra planeswalker
    Meditate
    Mirri's Guile

Almost-as-awesome-as-above-list:
    Anything cool and/or fun you can think of
    Last edited by Zlatzman; 11-20-2010 at 04:48 AM. Reason: added shipping information and wishlist
    "Don't let your mind wander - it might not come back." -Braids, dementia summoner

I'd really like to take part in this. I'll send my info when I get the chance.

Wishlist:

I won't be very picky. Obviously I'd love some staples of some sort, but more practical stuff is down below. Note though that I would really really like something unique or interesting, something that would set my collection apart from other collections. Alters, foreign cards, hard to find stuff, whatever you've got. Alters, especially ones for Enchantress, are high on my list, since I don't have any and I always really admire them.

Alters
    Snow-covered mountains or any other snow basic (preferably foreign or foil, for EDH)
    2 Explorations
    2 Serra's Sanctum
    2 Solitary Confinements
    Anything pimp for Enchantress or Standard
    Anything pimp for red EDH
    1 Sol Ring
    Euro lands (they're just so gorgeous)
    Basically anything really cool and unique.

Simple Jack Daniel's
    Apr 2009
    San Diego, CA

Hell with it, I'm in.

If someone's feeling really generous, I could use Plateaus and LEDs. Also kind of looking for any red fetchlands, or Unmasks, Bridges and Ichorids for dredge. Maybe Natural Orders.

I'm also trying to pimp out my Eva Green deck, so if anyone has altered and/or foreign shit for that, I'd track you down and buy you a beer. Especially Hymn to Tourach or any black fetches.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    Terramorphic Expanse combines well with Urborg, tapping all over the place for black mana and then BOOM you fetch a Plains and blow them out with Ramosian Rally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scordata View Post
    Man, why won't the Rock just go away? It doesn't even have any friends.

Like, you know that feeling when you are walking outside and you step in dog shit?
    Thats the exact feeling i have when my opponent opens with Land, Mox diamond, Dark Confidant.

Magic Librarian
    Aug 2007
    Johannes de Silentio

I'm in. Will PM details at a later time.
    One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

Count me in! Got some cool stuff I'm sitting on that just may make someone really happy. :)

Wishlist (nonfoil please):
    ~Japanese - Kira, Great Glass-Spinner; Aquamoebas; Submerge; Knight of the Reliquary; Fauna Shaman
    ~Cool alters for Rubinia Soulsinger EDH
    ~Italian BB Bayou if you're feeling really generous!
    Last edited by majikal; 11-13-2010 at 06:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

May 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa, USA

I am in, and I have already picked out some cool stuff, with one big thing, we'll see who gets lucky.

Dec 2006
    Minnesota

This post is about prize support for our various contests. As it stands, I'm willing to put up a portion of the prizes and cover the postage to mail them out to the winners. I'm not a wealthy man by any stretch to I'm asking for your input.

I have in my possession a sealed FTV: Relics which I paid retail for. I'm willing to cover postage to ship this (could be like $5 for domestic but then could be quite expensive overseas) but I don't want to be in it for that plus the $40+ I paid for it. Another option would be to just open it and distribute everything more evenly (including the die). I would still be in it for postage but maybe it wouldn't be as bad? I don't know.

Next, I have some revised duals that I may be willing to put up if I can recover some of the expenses I incurred in getting them. For example, I got one of my Badlands for like $17 and a Savannah for like $12 and I would probably be happy to put them up if I recovered that much.

It sounds like we could get one of those cool playmats at a discount too if folks were interested. Not sure how much but free would be awesome. Are you reading this Michael?

I don't think anyone should feel obligated to contribute more than your SS package but I felt like we could make it a little more, part lottery, part gift giving, part contest. If you guys think this is a bad idea, that's fine, we could always go another way but if I'm the only one putting stuff up for prize support, you might be at my mercy and I don't think I'll be able to put together a nice package for my SS recipient and do good prize support on my own.

So say at the end of the day, we beat last year's 48? participants and everyone (on average) pitches in $2, we could have awesome prize support. I'll pitch in say $25 plus whatever my postage comes out to be so we're already ahead. That's a challenge to anyone else who wants to make this thing bigger. If you're poor or you don't feel like you want to be that involved, don't stress about it. You may still have your name drawn for random prizes.

I'm still open to any fresh ideas on this as we have lots of time to work things out.

#1 thing, keep sending me your contact info so I can add your name to the master list.

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

android, first of all thanks for organizing all this!
    i'm for having a prize, let's say 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize, for the ''Santa altered legacy staple contest''. Then, maybe 1st 2nd 3rd prize at random among all the partecipants.
    Let's say that 48 partecipants drop an average 3$ each. We have a money stack of roughly 140-150$ to be splitted between all the prizes.

I would split as follows:

Santa's altering contest:

1st 30$ (of cards, playmat, nice foils,nice playsets, some cards from your FTV or wathever else.)
    2nd 20$ ( " " " ")
    3rd 10$ ( " " " ")

Random Santa's Prize:

1st 30$ (always cards, playmat, etc etc..wathever comes to mind Mtg-related)
    2nd 20$
    3rd 10$

What do you think? in this way we have spare 5-10$ from the fund to cover shipping fees.
    Personally i would surely give more than 3$ for sure, so if we reach 150+$ prizes would be adjusted.
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

Dec 2006
    Minnesota

I like that idea and ramanujan also had a similar suggestion that I'll let him put out there. I'm open to any ideas.

Just so everyone is comfortable with how things will be decided, I think we will stick to the secret ballot for the contests and I'll get one of the Source mods to be on the receiving end of the voting so there is not tampering with ballots. Then for the random, I think we can do a system where every participant gets a random number from 1-# of participants and that list will be held by mod and then another mod can pull numbers out of a hat. This way it's totally fair and not subject to any fraudulent activity.

Does that sound good?

RawR Bitch
    Sep 2007
    Norwich, CT

Since I see most people putting up wish lists I figured I should add mine since its hilarious and GREEN.

1x master of the wild hunt
    1x cloudthresher
    1x jugan the rising star
    1x vigor
    1x ant queen
    1x woodfall primus
    1x green myojin
    1x trolls tel-jilad
    1x silvos
    1x nacatl war pride
    1x primordial sage
    1x oran rief the vastwood
    1x explosive vegatation
    1x eldrazi monument
    1x lurking predators
    1x primal command
    1x greater good
    1x food chain
    1x nature's will
    1x dense foliage
    1x mana relection
    1x gauntlet of power
    1x extraplanar lenses
    1x regal force

If you want to be super sexy vengevine, new jace, or sneak attack would fantastic. I play mostly control (landstill), merfolk, enchantress, or GBW survival.
    Co-Founder of Team Awesome - I heard Randy Buehler say a while back that good players give themselves the most number of turns to find the answer.
    The Source on MTGO - Predator8785 and RockOut
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Women come and go, turn one protection is forever.

May 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa, USA

Hello,

My suggestion was for people to put a percentage of their income into the prize pool. The fraction that I came up with is .1%. That translates to a franklin if you are so fortunate to make 100k, and a draft entry for those still getting education. I trust that the people in this community would be honerable in this so I will assume as such, being that this is all for fun. The amount could be paid in non pimp legacy staples worth more than 10 bucks each, cash, unopenned product ( no precons), or pimpy stuff.

The moneys would then be used firstly for shipping, then prize purchases. The prizes would be gived out in the following manner, 25% would recieve some type of door prize (equating to approximately 40% of the total pool), and the rest would go to contests. Contests would be determined by a poll. There would be two contests. Coolest Alter contest, and another contest yet to be announced. I want to say a contest like best gift, but I don't want that to mean most expensive gift.

The prizes would be approximately 10% of the total value for Each place, 1st through 3rd, for each contest. Anyone not interested could not participate in the contest and door prize portion of the Secret Santa.

Apr 2007
    Norway

@Android: Doesn't sound too bad. We just need some way of knowing the drawing of the random prizes was fair, for example video evidence. Another possibility is to use a publicized random number, for example a lottery number from a predetermined lottery at a predetermined date.
    "Don't let your mind wander - it might not come back." -Braids, dementia summoner

May 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa, USA

Another way to fairly distribute the door prizes is to create an ordered list, such as the one listing all of our names, then add up the total yards of offense in the NFL in a particular week. Then divide the yards by the number of participants and find the remainder. Count the remainders number of positions down the list. The spot you arive at will be the beginning of the winners of the random door prize. If there are more door prizes than number of people remaining below that point on the list, move to the top and continue counting people until you reach n, where n is the number of door prizes.

I think that the number of yards should be sufficiently large enough to ignor starting position so this should be fair. In addition, we can all watch the NFL yelling no whammy, no whammy, stop.

Dec 2006
    Minnesota

@Zlatzman: we will make sure everything is fair and transparent. I don't want anyone to feel like it was somehow fixed. The contests should be more of a side note to the SS giving (which is really what this is all about). Or maybe a better word would be enhancement to SS.

@ramanujan: I like that idea too but I wonder if most people on here either have $0 income or aren't going to be willing to pitch in that much. I myself am willing to pledge about $50 of my own stuff/money and that's not including time or effort or my own SS gifts. I don't expect anyone else to match this as I'm just trying to make it fun.

Part of the problem I've been trying to work out is how to fairly distribute prizes. We need something that acts as an escrow so people don't have to fear me having all this money sent my way and then I disappear, which is obviously not going to happen but I would want some sort of assurance that I wasn't just dropping money into a bottomless well. We could pool money via Paypal into some online vendor for a joint order and then when contest time rolls around, give them the winners addy. Not sure if I totally like that idea though as I personally would want to know and see what specifically the prizes are.

As for the other part, about the contests, I've updated the front page with a list of participants, the pending contests (where I will fill in prizes as we work them out) and some other information. I scratched the idea of a prize for best gift or something as I really want everything going out at the same time; SS gifts & all prizes. By mid December, I want to be able to open the SS Brag thread and just have it contain pure enjoyment and no business.

Primarily, everyone has to be in on this with SS at the forefront. I don't want people to focus too much on prizes or contest even though they may end up being right up there with the best SS gifts.

Apr 2007
    Norway

I think we should keep the prize levels moderate. I like the idea of everyone chipping in with $2-3, but not more than that. It should cover decent enough prizes to attract submissions in the contest(s), but still remain within most peoples' reach.

Dec 2006
    Minnesota

That's sensible. Like I said, if we get 50 people in here like last year and we get an average of $2.5 from everyone, we've already got $125 plus my contributions. I'm really pushing for some vendors to throw something our way but I'm not sure how the Source will see that. I don't want to outright advertise for anyone but they deserve to be recognized if they donate. I sure wish we could get SCG (Ben B.) in here. I mean he always comes around when we're discussing legacy prices. Could be a great PR opportunity for them to have a positive presence in the center of the Legacy community where they are not just in it for profit.

Thread Information