Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-Survival Ooze

Ooze Reanimator (Non-Survival Ooze)

This is a Black/Blue combo deck built around abusing the interaction between Necrotic Ooze, Phyrexian Devourer, and Triskelion. It does this by casting Buried Alive and then Reanimating the Ooze.

How it works:
    Once you have Necrotic Ooze in play and the other two cards in your graveyard, you are ready to combo off. Simply activate Phyrexian Devourer’s ability until you exile a card with CMC 1 or 2. This will put 1 or 2 counters on Nectrotic Ooze, which you can then remove via Triskelion’s ability to deal damage to your opponent. If you reveal a card with CMC 3 or larger, you respond to that activation until you reveal a card that won’t make Necroitic Ooze’s power above 6.

The core of the deck

The combo:
    Necrotic Ooze, Phyrexian Devourer, and Triskelion: The combo pieces. Run as a one-of each since you’re generally not trying to draw these cards, but instead rely on Buried Alive to tutor for them.

Aquamoeba: Run as a 1-of as a discard outlet incase a combo piece winds up in your hand. If this happens, simply include it in place of the combo piece, reanimate the Necrotic Ooze and discard the combo piece using the ability. Run over Putrid Imp since it pitches to FoW and you will hardly ever hardcast it. Run over Cephalid Inkshrouder on the rare chance you do need to hardcast it.

Buried Alive: Grabs the combo pieces. Run as a four-of.

Reanimate and Exhume: Used to get Necrotic Ooze into play. The consensus seems to be to run 6 or 7 of these cards favoring the split towards Reanimate. Going to 8 reanimation spells is possible, though probably not necessary. Going to 5 is likely too dangerous.

The Setup:
    Personal Tutor: This card really pulls the deck together by finding a missing combo piece or some protection. I recommend it as a four-of, though some lists have run less.

Lim-Dul’s Vault: The other tutor of the deck. Builds running a transformational sideboard will likely want to play four, but it can be lowered to a two-of depending on your build and preference.

Brainstorm: Another four-of for the deck. Extremely important in both finding needed cards and putting back dead cards.

Ponder: If you feel you need more cantrips, this is likely your best option.

Protection/Disruption:
    Thoughtseize: Most builds run somewhere between two to four of these. Perfect for grabbing counter spells and general hate cards.

Force of Will and Spell Pierce: Pact of Negation can replace Spell Pierce if you don't plan on using a transformational sideboard into Show and Tell, though Spell Pierce over Pact does help the combo mirror.

Eye of Nowhere: Can be included as a 1-of Personal Tutor target maindeck to answer problem cards such as Humility or Pithing Needle.

Mana-base:
    Dark ritual, Lotus Petal, Chrome Mox, and City of Traitors: The acceleration. Absolutely required to make the deck work in the meta. You should probably include somewhere around 11 of these.

Lands: Decks seem to be playing between 12 and 16 lands right now with 6 to 8 fetchlands. How many lands you play will likely depend on how much acceleration you play and which cards you use as acceleration.

The Sideboard
    There seem to be two options when it comes to sideboarding. The first is to do a transformational sideboard into a Show and Tell package. The second is to just fight the hate head on with bounce spells, pithing needle, and other anti-hate cards.

Emrakul, the Aeons Torn: The main Show and Tell target. It should get there the majority of the time.

Progenitus: Run as a 1-of to be found with LDV. Used instead of Emrakul when facing Karakas, Jace TMS, or Oblivion Ring.

Blazing Archon: Shines in the Merfolk match-up. Also the best creature to put into play against opposing Show and Tell decks. Also stomps several other decks that don't play removal such as Elves.

Doomsday and Shelldock Isle: Can be included as a Personal Tutor target to be used against Counterbalance decks and other decks that don't play Wasteland or a fast clock.

Bounce: Echoing Truth, Wipe Away, Chain of Vapor, Hurkyl's Recall. 4-6 bounce are generally included. Which you chose depends on preference and meta, I prefer E.Truth, generally.

Sample decklist
    1 Necrotic Ooze
    1 Triskelion
    1 Phyrexian Devourer
    1 Aquamoeba

4 Buried Alive
    4 Personal Tutor
    4 Lim-Dul's Vault
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Reanimate
    2 Exhume

4 Thoughtseize
    3 Spell Pierce
    4 Force of Will

3 Chrome Mox
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Dark Ritual
    2 Swamp
    2 Island
    2 Underground Sea
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Scalding Tarn
    1 Marsh Flats

Sideboard:
    1 Blazing Archon
    1 Progenitus
    3 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    4 Show and Tell
    1 Doomsday
    1 Shelldock Isle
    4 Echoing Truth

Match-ups

Zoo (very favorable): You should have no problem racing them game 1. Game 2, they might bring in Tormod's Crypt, Leyline of Sanctity or Ethersworn Canonist. None of those should be a huge problem, so you can likely still combo out with Necrotic Ooze, though my general boarding plan for this match-up is to side out FoW, Spell Pierce and Thoughtseize for the secondary combo, and win with whichever is drawn first; Buried Alive is preferable if you get a choice. Just don't play Doomsday against them, as they can burn you down easily.

Merfolk (about 50/50): This match-up will be tough, but very winnable with the right hand. If you can assemble the combo quickly with protection, you should win. Post-board, if not going transformational, the match-up will become unfavorable, especially if they splash black for Extirpate. If going transformational, a quick Emrakul or a resolved Blazing Archon should win the game. My boarding plan is to take out the Ooze combo and a Dark Ritual and bring in the entire board. Try not to use Doomsday unless you're forced to or you know they don't have Wasteland.

T.E.S (favorable): They can combo about a turn faster than you, but you have counter protection and are slightly less vulnerable to discard. Don't keep a hand that loses to a single Duress and you should be fine. There's nothing really to board in. You can bring in Echoing Truth if you want, but they probably won't play Empty the Warrens against you. Watch out for Orim's Chant.

Bant Countertop (unfavorable): You can't really win through CounterTop if they resolve both pieces. If you can keep it off the table and combo out with protection, you have a chance. Post-board, it should get about 50/50, perhaps slightly in their favor still. Progenitus is your best bet here, as they may have Jace and Karakas. Doomsday into Emrakul is also good, as they don't play Wasteland; just keep an eye on what answers they might have for Emrakul before dedicating to that plan. Other builds of CounterTop can be near-unwinnable, as they might play Humility, Wasteland and Oblivion Ring in addition to Karakas, Jace, and Counterbalance.

Goblins (favorable): Game 1 should be easy enough as long as you keep a hand that doesn't lose to Wasteland. You probably won't need to FoW a turn 1 Lackey, unless you kept a slow hand. S&T is unreliable game 2 as they may have Stingscourger and Warren Weirding. Mono-red and Red/green should still be about as easy as Game 1, but black splashes can give you trouble depending on what exactly they have in their sideboard.

Ichorid (about 50/50): A fast hand can win this one. Your disruption isn't useful past turn 1, but countering their discard outlet can be really good; generally, you just want a hand that can kill on or before turn 3. Cabal Therapy can hurt a lot. Post-board should get easier, as you can get rid of their zombie tokens or Ichorids with Echoing Truth. They might bring in Leyline of the Void or Pithing Needle, but both of those should be easy enough to handle. Strangely, the more they sideboard in, the easier the match will become, since they'll dilute their deck with answers to gravehate and be slowed down a lot. On the play, I might keep Thoughtseize and Spell pierce in, but otherwise, I'd side out protection for the other combo. Emrakul and Progenitus won't be too impressive, but Blazing Archon should win the game if you land it.
    Last edited by jamis; 01-24-2011 at 01:54 AM.

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Re: Non-Survival Ooze

I'm pretty sure there have been some pretty solid decklists posted on the necrotic ooze thread on the Format development section. For the buried alive + reanimate combo, I think the UB shell is the best way to go. I would run straight up combo. Of course, its not really a cheap deck to build, an initial decklist would look like this:

4 Force
    4 Thoughtseize
    3 Spell pierce

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    1 Careful study
    1 Lim Dul's Vault
    4 Personal Tutor

4 Buried alive
    4 Exhume
    4 Reanimate

1 Necrotic ooze
    1 Triskelion
    1 Phyrexian devourer

3 Chrome mox
    4 Underground sea
    4 Polluted delta
    3 Flooded strand
    2 Bloodstained mire
    2 Island
    2 Swamp

SB:

Some combination of bounce, duress effects, null rods.

Its a very compact combo with very little dead cards. Most card choices are pretty simple, the careful study is a tutor target if you get some combo components stuck in your hand, its a tutorable discard outlet with personal tutor. No dark rituals because I believe chrome mox gives you more mana over the long run and acts as an initial mana source. Hands with a single chrome + cantrips are very keepable.

Hm, I'll give that list a test. What do you think about including Intuition? I considered the blue splash before, and Intuition was a main reason.

Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Hmm, intuition is a little too slow. The combo is already very slow. Without chrome mox, you kill T4 earliest. If against blue, T5 earliest (you want to play around daze). This is due to buried alive being 3cc. If you have chrome, you can be a turn earlier. Even then, zoo/goblins/folk can get you pretty quick and race you. No daze because, the combo is very mana intensive, you need every land drop. The spell pierce slots are flexible, they could be some other kind of protection like duress. Pierce IMO is important at winning counterwars over your combo components.

Personal tutor is a much better tutor, its more or less mystical tutor (although its a sorcery) because it fetches both combo components (buried alive, exhume, reanimate), protection (duress), discard outlet (careful study) and after board, your bounce spell (eye to nowhere, some sorcery speed bounce).

Intuition sucks as a buried alive because:

They will always give you phyrexian devourer so you end up with ooze and trisk in the yard. Now you need a discard outlet + reanimate spell to win the game, which is terrible.

I see what you mean about Intuition. I guess if I still included Tortured Existence, it would ease the drawback, but after testing the list you posted, I don't think it's necessary.

I didn't really like FoW after testing it. Too often I had it, but didn't have a blue card to pitch. I think I still prefer Dark Rit over Chrome Mox for the deck because it can allow for a turn 2 win with some consistency. After removing Force, I replaced Spell Pierce with Duress. Pierce is probably better protection, but Duress lets you cast Buried Alive Turn 3 instead of 4, which I feel is important in the Merfolk match-up.

Personal Tutor is great, and is why I stuck with the blue splash rather than the green. I don't like that it can't tutor for Necrotic Ooze, but that's really only important for games 2 and 3.

Here's what I'm currently testing:

1 Necrotic Ooze
    1 Triskelion
    1 Phyrexian Devourer

1 Iona, Shield of Emeria

3 Oona's Prowler

3 Duress
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    1 Eye of Nowhere

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Reanimate
    3 Exhume

4 Personal Tutor
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Buried Alive

5 Swamp
    2 Island
    2 Underground Sea
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Marsh Flats
    2 Scalding Tarn

The sideboard's still pretty rough, but I'm thinking something like:

1 Blazing Archon
    3 Necrotic Ooze
    1 Beseech the Queen
    4 Echoing Truth
    4 Wipe Away
    2 Deathmark
    Last edited by jamis; 10-12-2010 at 12:14 AM. Reason: forgot to include buried alive

Admin
    Oct 2003
    Redondo Beach, CA

I played this deck at Jupiter Game's Lotus tournament this past weekend. I think this deck could have done real well. The sideboard strategy I used looked good on paper and in theory, but in actuality I had a hard time assembling the sideboarded combo. I won every single game one with this deck (well..should have; see round 5) and ended up 4-3. The shear speed of this deck is incredible and hard to stop game 1.

Here's what I ran:

The Secret of the Ooze
    1 Necrotic Ooze
    1 Triskelion
    1 Phyrexian Devourer

4 Buried Alive

4 Personal Tutor
    3 Lim-Dul's Vault

4 Brainstorm
    1 Careful Study

3 Exhume
    4 Reanimate

3 Thoughtseize
    4 Pact of Negation
    4 Force of Will

4 Lotus Petal
    4 Dark Ritual
    3 City of Traitors
    2 Underground Sea
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Scalding Tarn
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Island
    2 Swamp

Sideboard:
    4 Hive Mind
    4 Pact of the Titan
    3 Show and Tell
    2 Nihil Spellbomb
    2 Pithing Needle

Here's a quick report of the tournament.

Round 1 Ryan McKenny (Merfolk)
    Game 1: I win the die roll. Play Island Brainstorm and find the piece I need for the combo. He plays Mutavault -> Vial and says go. I drop Swamp -> Ritual Buried Alive -> Reanimate with Pact backup.
    Game 2: Long game that involves me not being able to assemble Hive Mind for about 10 turns while he just beats me with fish.
    Game 3: Another long game that took me one turn too long to assemble Hive Mind. He ended up with 3 Cursecatchers in play and a Daze in hand that left me one mana short of winning.
    0-1 (1-2)

Round 2 Chris (Lands type of lock deck)
    Game 1: I lose the die roll but win on turn two. Without having to worry about any hate, I can just go off.
    Game 2: He starts with a Leyline in play, plays Land -> Tormod's Crypt. I get about 5-6 turns and assemble Hive Mind and win.
    1-1 (3-2)

Round 3 Nick (Survival-Elves)
    Game 1: I win on turn three (on the draw), but I do note that he gets going quite fast. I think he already did 8-12 to me on his turn 3.
    Game 2: I open with a turn two Hive Mind win, but he has 3 mana elves, Tiaga, and Forest, so he can pay for the Pact of the Titan in my hand. I spend at least 10 turns drawing nothing useful.
    Game 3: Similar to game 2, but I just can't really assemble Hive Mind to win.
    1-2 (4-4)

Round 4 Adam Phillips (Eternal Garden)
    Well, we know very well what each other is playing.
    Game 1: I win turn two.
    Game 2: We get to turn two and Adam just scoops and we go get food. There's really not much of a chance he can beat me.
    2-2 (6-4)

Round 5 Joe (Burn)
    Game 1: I actually lose this one because he drops turn one Mountain -> Relic of Progenitus. I DON'T counter, when I had FoW in my hand. I was just shocked by the maindecked Relic and totally messed that up. Had I countered it, I would have won turn 3 with no problems. After realizing how stupid a mistake I made, I just scooped on my turn 2 so he wouldn't know what I was playing.
    Game 2: He plays another turn 1 Relic, but I have a fetchland and win on turn 2, since he didn't have the mana to activate the relic he can't really do anything besides make me remove a fetchland or ritual from my graveyard....close.
    Game 3: He keeps a hand with a Relic, but I assemble Hive Mind in like 5-6 turns. Luckily he didn't have much burn and he was stuck on a couple of land (leaving one open to Relic).
    3-2 (8-5)

Round 6 Coorey (Burn)
    Game 1: I go off turn 1 on the draw.
    Game 2: I get Hive Mind on turn 4, he gets me down to 4 life in response. Close, but I still pulled it off.
    4-2 (10-5)

Round 7 Will (White Ghost) (Team America)
    I was talking with Will most of the day, so we know what each other is playing.
    Game 1: He wins the die roll and gets some disruption going. I manage to Thoughtseize and assemble the combo around turn 3-4 I think. I had to wait to make sure I could go off since I didn't have enough protection.
    Game 2: He turn 2 and turn 3 Hymns me. Then Stifle / Wastes my lands. Didn't really matter because I never saw Hive Mind to be able to win.
    Game 3: Similar to game 2. Takes me way too long to find Hive Mind pieces and he has a good grip on the game by then.
    4-3 (11-7)

So you can see where Hive Mind was great in some cases, but that's mostly due to luck of having the pieces. With no way to actually tutor for Hive Mind or the Pacts, it really wasn't as reliable as it seemed in the limited testing I did with it. Most of the games, they didn't even see the GY hate by the time I would have been able to go off with the Buried Alive -> Reanimate combo. The only time the sideboarding strategy was really successful was Game two against Leyline (and in 5-6 turns I could easily have just found my own hate/answer). It straight up lost me the match round 3 where I should have sided back out game 3 to the Ooze combo, but didn't.

I could have easily just played Pithing Needle or Sideboarded in Bounce / Splash for Krosan Grip, that would leave the only vulnerability being Extirpate, but there's not much besides Chalice / Counterbalance / Orim's Chant that can stop that.

Here's what I'll be running in the SB from now on:

1 Eye of Nowhere
    2 Echoing Truth
    2 Show and Tell
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Blazing Archon
    1 Sphinx of the Steel Wind
    4 Pithing Needle
    3 Engineered Explosives

Not sure about Eye of Nowhere. It may just be better as Wipe Away since I'll probably be siding out Personal Tutors. It's really hard to sideboard since you can't cut too many cards without removing combo pieces.
    Last edited by Jander78; 10-12-2010 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Updated New Sideboard
    Monday Night Magic: http://rfimd2000.tripod.com/images/mnm/mondaynight.htm

Team
    Left
    Field

Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Agree on hive mind not being a good alternate combo. Eye to nowhere is a sorcery and we don't play LDV. However if the list plays LDV, Wipeaway is better. Howed you like the city + dark ritual+ lotus petal as acceleration? Did you ever wish you had more initial coloured sources to cast your cantrips? No ponder? Did you miss the extra cantrips? Personal tutor is a bitch to find. I finally tracked down 2 so I think I'll be testing 4LDV, 2 personal tutor lists. But Ideally should be 4 personal tutor, 2 LDV. Though Ldv is much better after board because it looks for bounce/grip.

I like the swap to show and tell after board. What about more show and tells + emrakul? That may be pretty useful. If going transformational, 4 LDV is a must to fetch both components.

Also regarding pacts, most people are still new to the combo so they counter the reanimate. But once they start countering the buried alive (like entomb in reanimator), pact is going to be subpar. Thoughts? I'd stick to the spell pierces.

Admin
    Oct 2003
    Redondo Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by ivanpei View Post
    Agree on hive mind not being a good alternate combo. Eye to nowhere is a sorcery and we don't play LDV. However if the list plays LDV, Wipeaway is better. Howed you like the city + dark ritual+ lotus petal as acceleration? Did you ever wish you had more initial coloured sources to cast your cantrips? No ponder? Did you miss the extra cantrips? Personal tutor is a bitch to find. I finally tracked down 2 so I think I'll be testing 4LDV, 2 personal tutor lists. But Ideally should be 4 personal tutor, 2 LDV. Though Ldv is much better after board because it looks for bounce/grip.

I like the swap to show and tell after board. What about more show and tells + emrakul? That may be pretty useful. If going transformational, 4 LDV is a must to fetch both components.

Also regarding pacts, most people are still new to the combo so they counter the reanimate. But once they start countering the buried alive (like entomb in reanimator), pact is going to be subpar. Thoughts? I'd stick to the spell pierces.
    City / Ritual / Petal plan is what makes this deck actually work. The speed of winning consistantly by turn three is what makes this playable over standard Reanimator or TES as combo decks. It also allows for plenty of turn 1 wins as well.

I'm not sold on Emrakul since he can't go double duty and be reanimated to go along with Show and Tell. I would mainly bring in anti-hate + whatever creature may hose the opponent the most as a back up plan. Show and Tell would only be brought in against tons of graveyard hate that you can't deal with (adding more would be fine if the environment called for it).

Like I said, I'm still unsure about Eye of Nowhere. I do like having the option of using Personal Tutor to find it along with Lim-Dul's, since you will need to have it ready when you go off and still need to find your combo pieces to win. Wipe away is obviously the better spell, but not easier to tutor for. It may be a good plan to go 1 Eye, 2 Wipe Away.

I don't miss the cantrips at all. Brainstorm is required to dump drawn creatures back into your deck. Running more tutors in lieu of cantrips ensure you'll find what you need instead of trying to set-up over multiple turns.

Pact is great. In multiples it's unstoppable. In a counter war it can be extremely risky. Spell Pierce is a great option and one brought up to me by others giving suggestions on the deck (Mister Agent). The only reason I don't like it (maindeck at least) is that it will slow you down a turn so you can ensure you have the available mana to protect your spell. Also Daze was another option brought up since you really need to have Buried Alive resolve and don't always have extra mana to reserve for Spell Pierce (this is why I originally went with Pact). Proactive counters (Duress) are also good options in the 1 mana slot.

Running Pact is a different playstyle. I almost always make sure I can cast both Buried Alive + Reanimate / Exhume in the same turn. This strategy makes Pact very strong against opposing counters as long as you're sure you'll win the counterwar. I'm happy with it now, but it may not be the best option as this deck progresses.

Team
    Left
    Field

Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

With so much acceleration, pact seems like a good choice along side your cities, petals and dark rituals, allowing you to go for the 'combo turn' where you cast everything on that one turn. Thanks for the clarification. I now see your reasoning behind the card choices. Cheers on the tuned list. ;)

Merkwürdigeliebe
    Aug 2006
    Vienna, AT

Do you feel that this deck is robust enough if people start to prepare for it or do you feel it is like Dream Halls which was great when no-one was looking but ran into some problems once it was a known and prepared for deck?

Oct 2010
    Berlin

This deck looks a blast to play - just wondering if for reasons of thrift or flexibility Peer Through Depths had been considered at all? First time poster who doesn't know how to do card links so...

Peer Through Depths: 1U: Instant: Look at the top five cards of your library. You may reveal an instant or sorcery card from among them and put it into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.

Considering you don't really need to put any of the combo creatures in hand until you go off, seems like it could be good - can be played at instant speed and would allow you to run better bounce than Eye of Nowhere.

Anyway, look forward to seeing how this deck pans out..

Admin
    Oct 2003
    Redondo Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
    Do you feel that this deck is robust enough if people start to prepare for it or do you feel it is like Dream Halls which was great when no-one was looking but ran into some problems once it was a known and prepared for deck?
    I do feel it's robust enough, but it's definitely not popular enough to bother testing against or preparing for yet. Since it's graveyard based and slightly vulnerable, it may end up like Dream Halls, but I'd like to think that there are more options / backup plans (I.e. Reanimator / Show and Tell) to keep it alive.

Quote Originally Posted by titus View Post
    This deck looks a blast to play - just wondering if for reasons of thrift or flexibility Peer Through Depths had been considered at all? First time poster who doesn't know how to do card links so...

Peer Through Depths: 1U: Instant: Look at the top five cards of your library. You may reveal an instant or sorcery card from among them and put it into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.

Considering you don't really need to put any of the combo creatures in hand until you go off, seems like it could be good - can be played at instant speed and would allow you to run better bounce than Eye of Nowhere.

Anyway, look forward to seeing how this deck pans out..
    Peer Through Depths is ok. I wouldn't replace either of the tutors I'm running with it. If you can't find Personal Tutors, it may be a decent budget replacement, but in reality it's not always going to deliver when you need to find one of your combo pieces or protection. It does put the card in your hand, which is it's best advantage over Tutor / Vault, but the inconsistency compared to the others can't really be relied on.

Also to link cards you would type this: [cards]Peer Through Depths[/cards] :)

Team
    Left
    Field

MD seems fine, the problem I see after SBing you run too little creatures to have a solid backup plan with Show and Tell, maybe that part needs some reworking.

Admin
    Oct 2003
    Redondo Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Philipp2293 View Post
    MD seems fine, the problem I see after SBing you run too little creatures to have a solid backup plan with Show and Tell, maybe that part needs some reworking.
    Could very well be. The Sideboard is what I'm working on now and it could very well change. Show and Tell is only a backup plan if you can't take care of their hate. You should still try to win through Buried Alive -> Animate, but should you run into Extirpate / Faerie Macabre you can tutor up Show and Tell as a fall back. I don't know if switching the entire strategy post-SB to Show and Tell is correct or not at this point without further testing.

Team
    Left
    Field

I'm going to start testing Jander's manabase. I was wondering though, is there a reason you run City of Traitors over Ancient Tomb?

Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

You only need the colourless for buried alive, and you usually only cast that when you are going to go off. The pain is also relevant in conjunction with LDV, thoughtseize and reanimate.

Congrats on the finish Jander. I find it rather impressive that you were able to go into a incredibly high competitive field like the one at Jupiter and almost make top 16 with a deck that you have only been testing for about a week and a half. I think this shows that this deck has a ton of potential to be a relevant contender in legacy.

I have only tested Jander's list against New horizons and I manage to win a handful of games thanks to resolving the combo with both discard and countermagic.

As for the sideboard, I am still considering running a inkwell leviathan because it's very good against blue based decks and it makes show and tell all the more worth it to board in. Running a handful of creatures in the board seems fine as you have brainstorm, careful study and LDV to get one in your hand. You also can still dump creatures in the grave that you boarded in with buried alive and bring them back as well with reanimate spells. It's good that this deck has more then one option to put a big threat into play.

Just read a tournament report on a german forum from a guy who played against this deck, and post SB his opponent brought in DD+Emrakul+Shelldock, could this be a viable SB plan?

Any other updates/testing on this deck so far?

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

wouldn't Kiki-Jiki/Death Cultist be better to run?
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

the other combo wins if ooze resolves. With kiki-cultistcombo a stifle stops the fun (as it is a tap ability) where devourer is a (0) ability. Therefor you can respond to anything but trickbind more or less woth that combo.

Thread Information