Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Thread: Non-Survival Ooze

Oct 2011
    Vara Sweden

Re: Non-Survival Ooze

I have played 4 Tournaments since The 3 I have made an report from.
    The results have been. win in an 20 man tourney with top 4 lost 1 match in the mirror but i got my revenge in the final (it was a friend we had 76 card mirror, it was 1 of the worst experince ever, game 2 and 3 both starts with leyline in play and canīt play SnT if opponent has helm and you only emrakul(only 1 bounce after Sideboard to his leyline if you kept the ooze combo in the deck) the games ended on turn 35 or something everytime , we played 3 times in all these tournaments i won 2 and lost 1)

I went 2-2 in 2 tourneys with 16 people

and came 3 rd place in an 10 man tourney with single elimination. it was the elimination finals from the people who had got the most points from the 3 tourneys.

the times when i combo off later than turn 3 is because i want some backup or the the opponent stops me some how, or the cantrips fails to find the combo so fast as I want.

Petal and Ritual is pretty necessary to consistently race aggro. You can't always rely on always seeing Dark Ritual, and playing a turn four combo against Zoo without setting up any board presence aside from land, will lose you the game nearly every time. You really do need that extra speed.

LDV is awsome becase you can find a pile of 3 card you need and brainstorm for them and send 2 cards you donīt need to win from that position. intuition is to slow and to expansive in mana for my playstile.

I like playing against blue decks because they often donīt have a fast clock on you and you have alot of dissruption. decks with stifle is anoying some times but you can get there if you play good.

I will try to test some new sideboardplans to see if they are better, because in my local area everyone know what I play and how I sideboard in games. hope to see some off yours list in the future.

have a good holliday and a happy new year.

Congratulations to pippo and MagicMan for some really nice tournament finishes! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ivanpei View Post
    Ooze reanimator t8ed this major tournament.

http://manainfinito.com/articulos/to...acy-main-event
    Triskelavus has to be a mistake. Otherwise, the combo would require mana equal to opponent's life total to work.

Quote Originally Posted by tsabo_tavoc View Post
    Over half of the times (62%), the combo was at or after turn 4 G1.
    Our G1 goldfish speed needs to be almost 100% T3 to battle aggro god-hands. Any slower in tournament conditions means the opponent was not a goldfish: either we are hit with disruption, or we want (and can afford) an extra mana to go around a potential single Daze/SP.

Quote Originally Posted by tsabo_tavoc View Post
    In the 21 matches, you won 16 game 1, lost 4 times, and 1 was an intentional draw.
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMan84 View Post
    I will try to test some new sideboardplans to see if they are better...
    We rank amongst the best G1 win % - pretty much alongside Dredge and Belcher. Our dilemma is how to SB: go around the GY hate with a slower alternative strategy / fight the GY hate with a slightly slower version of main strategy / just hope they do not draw into the GY hate in time?

If you lose with alternative strategy G2, get to see opponent's GY hate and decide it is not THAT fast , you can even SB back into the main strategy for G3 when we get to start.

Laboratory Maniac - can this guy be utilized in a post-SB Doomsday pile, either in addition to or instead of Emrakul? He could potentially circumvent Wasteland or Stifle hitting Shelldock Isle.

On a related note, see thread

After giving some thought to the matter, I think that Thought Lash + Laboratory Maniac may well be a viable alternative in G2 to Leyline of the Void + Helm of Awakening combo. Here's a brief comparison:
    +++ Thought Lash buys us extra time for the combo by damage prevention
    +++ Not hosed by opposing library Eldrazi
    ++ Not hosed by opposing Leyline of Sanctity
    ++ if O is running Stifle -> buys them 1 extra turn against Helm
    + ups blue card count for FoW
    + if O is running instant destroy Enchantment effects -> Thought Lash can respond; if Leyline destroyed while Helm effect on stack that is no good
    + Extra Maniacs can emergency block
    + Immunity to artifact hate
    +/- Lower mana cost if Leyline not in opening hand; otherwise greater
    +/- if O sided out targeted removal after G1 (if he didn't, we are in deep trouble ---)
    +/- if O brought in Pithing Needle to name Ooze -> can potentially name Helm instead after seeing Leyline or Thought Lash. Although Thought Lash may look like a stall instead of win con.
    - Iona on blue wrecks us
    - loss of our own GY hate (especially vs. Dredge)
    -- O Humility shuts down Maniac

I might go as far as to say that Thought-Maniac is strictly better than Helm-Line.

Quote Originally Posted by death View Post
    September 2011 Update Bulletin: Functional Oracle Changes

New Phyrexian Devourer wording
    Code:
    When Phyrexian Devourer's power is 7 or greater, sacrifice it.

Exile the top card of your library: Put X +1/+1 counters on Phyrexian Devourer, where X is the exiled card's converted mana cost.
    The card has been unerrata'd so Necrotic Ooze no longer copies the "sacrifice if power is 7 or greater" part which was previously included along with the activated ability.

fucken' sweet.
    IMO, the best part about the rules change is that while in the past Trickbind killed Necrotic Ooze (e.g. FoW removed through Devourer effect on the stack -> respond with Trickbind), now it only buys the opponent time until the next upkeep.

Thread Information