Thread: [Report] Eternal Festival Tokyo, 13th place with U/G Madness

[Report] Eternal Festival Tokyo, 13th place with U/G Madness

This is a tournament report for the Eternal Festival Tokyo. Legacy is a popular format in Tokyo, Japan as many of you might know it. There were 250+ people showed up and the grand price is 40 R/V dual land. I decide to bring U/G Survival Madness to this tournament because I have been playing madness ever since the beginning of legacy format, and I believe that this deck will take me there. Although I didn’t make into top-8, I still manage to get into top-16. I think this deck perform pretty well in a such diverse meta-game, and I would like to share this experience with you guys.

Without further ado, here goes:

Game 1: Zoo 2-1

Round 1: I win the die role, and I keep a hand with a survival of the fittest and noble hierarch in my hand. He went first turn taiga, Wild Nacatl, and than passed the turn. I follow up with SOTF and goes for 3 Vengevine beat down in the following turn.

Side out: 4 Fow, 1 trygon predator, 1 Daze. Side in: Natural Order package.

Round 2: I mull down to six. I keep a hand with a NO, 2 lands, and a hierarch, a rootwalla, and aquamoeba. He dropped a land and pass the turn. I drop my hiearch, and if I can get my lands sooner or later, I could win with progenitus. However, that land never show up until 5th turn later…even with a progentius on the board, he still overwhelmed me with eot fetch for a treetop village, and that extra 3 damages killed me.
    No sideboard change

Round 3: nothing much to say. I see a turn two double Vengevine hand with mongrel as the discard outlet. He was forced to trade one of my Vengevine with a 2/2 Nacatal and a lavamancer. But it come back for revenge next turn.

Game2: Show and Tell (and sneak attack?) Elderazi 2-0
    Round 1: It’s not until the third turn I realize that he is playing show and tell, putting down a Emrakul. However, on my fourth turn 4 vengevine comes out and beat him down to 5. Even with annihilator on his next attack, I could just sac some rootwallas and lands, and kill him with vegevine next turn.
    Side out: 1 trygon predator, 3 daze. Side in: 2 spell pierce, 1 trinket mage, 1 needle.

Round 2: A close one. I resolved a turn 2 Survival. But he got turn 4 show and tell with fow back up. I attacked with 2 vengevine and a mongrel, one Vengevine got blocked by Emrakul and bring him down to 7. He than attacked back, in respond, I used the rest of the mana to get one extra rootwalla with my survival, leaving no cards in hand, a mongrel, and a vengevine on the board. Attack for 7 next turn for the win.

I didn’t saw sneak attack, but he does show a volcanic island. I think this is a tough match up for this deck without a proper sideboard.

Game 3: 4 color CTG-Jace 2-1

Round 1: After I won the die role, I kept a perfect hand with Survival, noble hierarch, some land, spell pierce, and a Vengevine. I protected my Survival with spell pierce from his FOW on turn two. The game end pretty soon after a top deck gaea’s cradle to seal the deal.

Side in: 1 Trygon Predator, 1 Trinket Mage, 1 Needle, 1 Krosan Grip
    Side out: 4 daze

Round 2: I kept a mediocre hand which I shouldn’t be. He eventually got jace and lock me out.

Round 3: I kept a hand with Survival and Vengevine. Cast it turn two and back up with force of will. I go off on the third turn and have him took 8. On his turn, he cast firesprout to wipe my board. However, on my next turn I simply combo out again plus a wasteland to kill his volcanic island to end the game.

Game 4: Bant Survival Aggro 2-1 , one win by game lost

Round 1: I kept a one-land hand, which I shouldn’t be. My opponent open up with a ponder, but he put all 3 cards in his hand thinking it was a brainstorm. I immediately tell him that he is making a mistake and he realized immediately, but I could tell he hasn’t mix his card yet…so I just let him go. However, my bad hands kills me…..i should never keep an one-land hand.

Side in: 1 Grip 1 predator, 1 trinket mage, 1 needle (I thought he was ctg)
    Side out: 1 Auamobea, 3 daze

Round 2: This time is a close game. As our life went down and our hand start to get depleted, he did that ponder become brainstorm mistake. This is the second time…so I have to call judge for it. He got a game lose for it…he is probably too nervous, and I feel sorry for him.

Side out, 1 grip, 1 predator, 1 trinket mage, 1 needle, 1 daze ( I don’t see counter balance in two games, so I guess he is running something else….maybe bant aggro?)

Side in, 3 No and 1 progentius. 1 spell pierce

Round 3: He counter my turn two survival. He than surprised me with his turn 3 survival, I tried to forced it but he forced me back, throwing away his Rhox war monk. I think that was his mistake because he had no creature to activate his survival. On my turn, NO-progenitus that didn’t get countered seal the deal. That ended the game right there.

Game 5: Show and Tell+ Sneak Attack 0-2
    I am 4-0, if I win two more round, I could get into top 8 simply ID the next two.

Round 1: I didn’t know what he was playing, so I kept a hand with mana disruption and a wild mongrel. He went first, drop an island and said go. On his second turn, I stifled his fetch land, and on the following turn I drop the survival. But on the end of his third turn, he use Enlightened tutor for Sphinx of the Steel Wind, followed by a show and tell next turn. This makes a hard situation for me. I had 2 hierarchs, a survival and a wild mongrel on the board, a wild mongrel, a land and a aquamobea in hand, I wasn’t sure what should I fetch to race that beast. If anyone has any good suggestion to deal with that situation, please let me know. Instead, I decide to set up the 4-Vegevine and try to race him that way. But he would be gaining 12 life a turn regardless of what I do. Eventually, a sneak attack shows up on his board and killed me with a 15/15+ sphinx.

Side out: 1 trygon predator, 1 Vegevine, 1 Aquamobea, 3 daze
    Side in: 1 progentius, 1 Natural order, 2 spell pierce, 1 trinket mage, 1 needle

At this point, I have no idea how to sideboard, simply because I wasn’t prepared for this deck. But that’s all I have.

Round 2: Although a turn one hierarch, turn two survival, and turn 3 double vengevine bring him down to 12. He got turn 4 sneak attack (with city of traitor) with one extra red mana calls down Emrakul. I responded by discarding a wild mongrel, and fetch for a wonder, discard wonder again to get another rootwalla. I blocked with flying rootwalla with one tropical island left after annihilator trigger. Turn two later, he top deck another Emrakul and end the game.

I probably could have done better, but I think this match up is kind of tough for this deck. My opponent did get into the top-8 however.

Game 6: Merfolk 2-1

Round 1: This round end fast with turn 3 triple-Vengevine beat down. The 0cc Orinthopter really impressed him with the faster clock he would had expected. He draw a card next turn, pondered for a while, and he conceded that round.

Side in: 1 Jitte, 1 Needle, 1 trinket mage, 1 trygon predator, 1 grip
    Side out: 4 daze, 1 spell pierce.
    Round 2: A close game. We went back and forth with counter magic. Eventually he got his vial+standstill setup, even though I have a mongrel on the board. However, he eventually vial in coral helm commander and Merrow Reejerey which forced me to break the standstill. He eventually got submerge to deal with my wild mongrel, and won the race there.

Round 3: I saw a Jitte, a creature, some lands with counter to back me up. That’s all I need to win. Eventually, the Jitte hits the board on my wild mongrel. That mad dog just went all the way with jitte, killing everything in his way. As his life ran low, he surprised me with hibernation, but he forgot that I could just discard to change the color of Wild Mongrel. He than tried to animate his Mutavalt to block my mongrel, which is stifled by me, and mongrel get in there for the final blow.

He is a cool dude, and we talked about this madness-merfolk match up. He thinks that it still might be a little bit favorable for merfolk due to island walk, but I mentioned that I can always waste my tropical island to prevent that from happening. I would say it’s even.

Game 7: Ant Combo 0-2

Round 1: he got a lucky hand. Turn 3 duress, take out my force of will and combo off and win.

Side out: 1 wonder, 2 Vengevine, 3 daze, 1 trygon predator.
    Side in: 2 spell pierce, 1 trinket mage, 1 tormod’s crypt, 1 Faerie Macabre , 1 Jitte

Round 2: I mull down to 6 to get a hand with force of will. However, he has insane top-deck that lead to a turn 2 kill. After the game, he told me that all he has was mana in his opening hand consist of crystal vein, a swamp, 4 lotus petal, and a dark ritual. The first card he draw was silence, followed by a infernal tutor on the second draw. What can I say?

He made into the top 8, but for me there’s no more hope to get there…but since there’s one last swiss round to play, I would like to end it with the best I can do.

Game 8: Merfolk 2-0

Round 1: I won the die role. I don’t know what he is playing so I kept this hand full with disruption, which consist of a fow, rootwalla, daze, hierarch, stifle, and two lands. I stifled his turn two fetch land, he thought about it, and force of willed it, but than I dazed his fow, and he daze it back, setting him back to only few cards. He fetched for a underground sea and pass the turn. Next turn I draw a aquamobea, drop my rootwalla and pass the turn. He than try to cast coral helm commander his only two lands, but I denied it with my own FOW. I topdeck a wasteland targeting his underground sea, and started to beating with a 4 power rootwalla. He couldn’t recover as I draw more threat for him to deal with.

Round 2: This game end even faster than I thought. A perfect turn two double Vengevine hand is definitely a keeper. He goes first turn vial, followed by a turn two coral helm commander. I draw a daze, cast my wild mongrel, he tried to fow the mongrel but countered by my daze. Wild mongrel discarding two Vegevine and rootwalla, the angry elements came back to ride for the victory.

The result, 6-2-0, with 18 points and place at 13th.

The deck list:
    Creature
    4 Wild Mongrel
    4 Vengevine
    4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Basking Rootwalla
    4 Aquamobea
    1 Orniththopter
    1 Wonder
    1 Trygon Predator
    Spell
    4 Survival of The Fittest
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    3 Stifle
    1 Spell Pierce
    Land
    4 Tropical Isalnd
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Wasteland
    1 Windswept Heath
    3 Forest
    1 Gaea’s Cradle

Sideboard
    4 Natural Order
    1 Dyard Arbor
    1 Progenitus
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Faerie Macarbre
    1 Tormod’s Crypt
    1 Trinket Mage
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 Umezawa’s Jitte
    1 Krosan’s Grip
    1 Trygon Predator

Price: portal boosters and a set of the ZEN fetch land.

Thanks: Sean for helping me creating this deck and tell me many tricks I could do with it. And all the good things that happened that day.

And here concludes the report.

Re: [Report] Eternal Festival Tokyo, 13th place with U/G Madness

Ok, portal boosters for a prize is awesome. Hopefully you got something cool :D

Second, obviously Scars of Mirrodin isn't out yet, but Memnite would be a good replacement for Ornithopter, since you're not running any equipment so flying really doesn't matter and one power's better than zero. Pretty cute to be able to overreach by one mana, or be able to afford an extra Vengevine in your chain.

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Nice report! And +1 for portal boosters as prizes, cool stuff. Do you happen to know where Legacy is played regularly in Tokyo? I may be travelling to Japan late this year/early next year and would like to hit it up. Let me know if you can help out!

You can go to wizard's website to locate tournaments. They host weekly legacy tournament in Tokyo as well. Go to magicthegathering.com, and find Tokyo->legacy tournaments. The one I usually go is located in Takadanobaba, and Nakano. The name of the store in Takadanobaba is "Hareruya", and the one in Nakano is "遊Vic*!".

If you have any question, feel to ask me.

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

Would it be possible to have the top8 decklists?
    Congratulations on the result.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    you just want us to do that because of your Silences, you sly dog.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Avatar of kicks_422's creation and property

May 2010
    Central Pennsylvania

Dec 2009
    Denmark

14 cards missing from ANT list :/

May 2010
    Central Pennsylvania

congrats winston!
    Soul Siphon--- {U}
    Tribal Instant---Wizard

Counter target creature spell. Scry 1.

Magic: The Gathering is a lifestyle, not just a game.

Quote Originally Posted by wwwwins View Post
    eot fetch for a treetop village, and that extra 3 damages killed me.
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm pretty sure you can't fetch for a Treetop Village.

Jan 2010
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Candle View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm pretty sure you can't fetch for a Treetop Village.
    Since he played against Zoo, I assume he´s referring to Knight of the Reliquary who "fetches" that Treetop Village eot. ;)

Thanks venice!. Yeap, sorry forgot to mention that the Treetop Village is fetched by Knight of the Reliquary.

Thread Information