Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MTGO Online Deck Series

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Re: MTGO Online Deck Series

Hi folks. Just thought I would mention that this is Blazelix' most recently posted deck:

3 Karakas
    2 Mishra's Factory
    13 Plains
    4 Wasteland

4 Ethersworn Canonist
    4 Flickerwisp
    3 Jötun Grunt
    3 Mangara of Corondor
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Serra Avenger
    3 Stoneforge Mystic

4 Æther Vial
    2 Oblivion Ring
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

...and it is different from the one in my thread OP by about 7 cards, and all of those cards have been in the deck at some point prior to MTGO D+T. Secret: It was thoroughly playtested prior to MTGO. I am certain that Blazelix is the man, but you are a fool if you can't see the wind carrying his wings. That happens a lot around here.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

I am the Killer Rabbit!
    Dec 2007
    Allen, TX

I have no doubt that Blazelix is a capable pilot of Death and Taxes. I just feel that his lists when compared to the ones that are played in Paper Magic are horribly out of date (as were mine when I played Death and Taxes on MTGO). But this is not necessarily his fault, but rather the fault of the client. It takes a superb pilot to be able to win consistently with a deck that far out of date.

However, at the same time I feel that the MTGO Meta is not an accurate Meta with which to be testing for the Paper Meta. At the best it is a great place to practice your technical play skill. But it is not that good of a place to learn what decks are at the top of the totem pole when it comes to a meta because around 10 to 20% of the cards for Legacy still have yet to be released.

That said I am still looking forward myself to getting back into playing MTGO when I can get the chance to purchase the cards that I need to be able to participate there.
    "He's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun. He's ancient and forever... He burns at the center of time and he can see the turn of the universe... and... he's wonderful."

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Make no mistake about it: there is no substitute for knowing your metgame and adapting to it. This is 100% true for MTGO and any local shop. The only difference between the two is the former is more randdom while the latter is usually fixed (say 50% known decks). The fact thatBlazelix and D&T has manageds to come out on top numerous times is a positive sign for the deck. I distinctly remember the discussion regarding Ethersworn Canonist being dismissed in favor of Aven Mindcensor and Goldmeadow Harrier by and large. Perhaps most paper metagames lack an abundance of combo, but Canonist has proven very useful.

I'm of the opinion that there is an optimal list for any metagame, and through weeks of testing Blazelix and others online have concluded that the list he plays is the best fit for MTGO.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

I am the Killer Rabbit!
    Dec 2007
    Allen, TX

Out of curiosity, if you were to create a deck design. And then some Professional Magic Player picks the deck up and plays the hell out of it, but does not give you credit for creating the deck or even innovating it. Not to mention his friends go around telling people that he is the one who deserves all the credit for the deck... wouldn't you be the slightest bit peeved about that? I know I would.

The Creator of the deck deserves as much, if not MORE credit than the people playing the deck, due to the fact that if it were not for the creator of the deck, there would be no deck to play in the first place.

Further, if the list Blazelix is playing right now is the best fit for MTGO. Does that mean you guys do not believe Scars of Mirrodin added anything worth testing to the deck?
    Last edited by DalkonCledwin; 10-15-2010 at 12:49 PM.
    "He's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun. He's ancient and forever... He burns at the center of time and he can see the turn of the universe... and... he's wonderful."

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

Back to the initial topic. I had originally gotten into MTGO playing pauper and have a decent pauper card pool but it's been boring me... as much fun and innovation as the format contains the decks are ultimately very similar and the best decks are still the best decks until some awesome new commons are printed to spark something that can contend with the current tier.

So because of that, i have not even run my MTGO client except to pick up a FTV Relics box (was going to use it and build one of my EDH decks online..) but then ultimately decided fuck it, becuase i didn't want to spend 100+ dollars on a digital EDH deck... and i never got into legacy because i wasn't active on MTGO for the master's edition 1-3 releases to pick up staples... and I refuse to pay near paper prices for digital product unless i have no other choice as legacy dies in paper around me.

However...

Depending on how much these decks cost... i might consider picking one up and sliding into a tourney or two when i can't access my LGS for tournaments.
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

I am the Killer Rabbit!
    Dec 2007
    Allen, TX

these decks do have the benefit of allowing people who previously didn't have the budget for MTGO to be able to afford playing MTGO Legacy with little expense (again depending on how much they cost). Speaking of the costs for these decks. I highly doubt they will run more than the more conventional Pre-Cons. And at the worst they may cost what a Dual Deck costs due to the prevalence of Tournament Quality Rares in these. But other than that I don't think they should be all that expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Hi folks. Just thought I would mention that this is Blazelix' most recently posted deck:

3 Karakas
    2 Mishra's Factory
    13 Plains
    4 Wasteland

4 Ethersworn Canonist
    4 Flickerwisp
    3 Jötun Grunt
    3 Mangara of Corondor
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Serra Avenger
    3 Stoneforge Mystic

4 Æther Vial
    2 Oblivion Ring
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

...and it is different from the one in my thread OP by about 7 cards, and all of those cards have been in the deck at some point prior to MTGO D+T. Secret: It was thoroughly playtested prior to MTGO. I am certain that Blazelix is the man, but you are a fool if you can't see the wind carrying his wings. That happens a lot around here.
    That's not blaze's most recent build.

I am the Killer Rabbit!
    Dec 2007
    Allen, TX

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    That's not blaze's most recent build.
    maybe not his most recent build, but its strikingly close to the one posted on the Decks of the Week Archive for 10/11/2010, which is the most recent deck those who do not have access to an MTGO account can look at. For the record the one posted on said date is as follows:

2 Flagstones of Trokair
    4 Karakas
    2 Mishra's Factory
    10 Plains
    4 Wasteland

3 Ethersworn Canonist
    4 Flickerwisp
    3 Jotun Grunt
    3 Mangara of Corondor
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Serra Avenger
    3 Stoneforge Mystic

4 Aether Vial
    2 Oblivion Ring
    1 Runed Halo
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

SIDEBOARD:
    2 Aura of Silence
    2 Burrenton Forge-Tender
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Kitchen Finks
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    2 Ravenous Trap
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Tormod's Crypt

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    . I am certain that Blazelix is the man, but you are a fool if you can't see the wind carrying his wings. That happens a lot around here.
    You are not anything close to a wind carrying Blaze to 4-0s/3-1's and top 8's, while It is your deck. WotC printed it in a box because Blaze has over 60 placings in 5 months. more than 1 every 3 days. He also doesnt play bad cards like Harrier and Condemn.

No one is taking away the credit for you making the deck- which i feel you should also include the six hundred fourty three people who helped it change from your intial build of the deck; a failed UW Tempo attempt into WWeenies with Abilities, but Blaze is the REASON it is even being played online and not you or this thread or the thread on Salvation.

Flame snipped. Verbal warning. The next one won't be verbal. - Bardo
    Last edited by Bardo; 10-17-2010 at 04:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

RawR Bitch
    Sep 2007
    Norwich, CT

Does anyone know if there has been a possible release date of these decks? I wasn't able to find a date on the wizards website.
    Co-Founder of Team Awesome - I heard Randy Buehler say a while back that good players give themselves the most number of turns to find the answer.
    The Source on MTGO - Predator8785 and RockOut
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Women come and go, turn one protection is forever.

I am the Killer Rabbit!
    Dec 2007
    Allen, TX

Quote Originally Posted by rockout View Post
    Does anyone know if there has been a possible release date of these decks? I wasn't able to find a date on the wizards website.
    http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazin.../other/112309a

That is the link to all KNOWN product that is to be released on MTGO. I do not however know if that includes Pre-Cons, but it does not seem to because I seem to recall that some EDH Precon's were released earlier this year which are not included on that list. I think what that link amounts to is all product that has an equivalent release date for paper product. With the exception of the Masters Editions which are considered sets in their own right and thus need to be treated similarly to other sets.

Feb 2007
    Rochester, NY

Quote Originally Posted by menace13 View Post
    You are not anything close to a wind carrying Blaze to 4-0s/3-1's and top 8's, while It is your deck. WotC printed it in a box because Blaze has over 60 placings in 5 months. more than 1 every 3 days. He also doesnt play bad cards like Harrier and Condemn.

No one is taking away the credit for you making the deck- which i feel you should also include the six hundred fourty three people who helped it change from your intial build of the deck; a failed UW Tempo attempt into WWeenies with Abilities, but Blaze is the REASON it is even being played online and not you or this thread or the thread on Salvation.

And where are you from? Who even speaks that way? Wind carrying his wings?? How old are you 78?
    Technically, Finn is the reason Blaze is playing it. If Finn didn't come up with the deck, Blaze wouldn't be playing it, because the deck wouldn't exist. 'But but someone else woulda...' would yield the exact same discussion. Just replace Finn's name with someone else's.

Also by your reasoning, we should totally give all credit to Intel/IBM/other tech company for the transistor and forget about John Bardeen, Walter Brattain, and William Shockley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    If I could vote by not voting (N/A), I would do that. As I see it, all of those cards help make Legacy what it is -- which I find to be a very fun and balanced format. Zapping any of those cards would harm and otherwise perfectly fine format.
    Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    I love how every time a deck does marginally well at a single tournament, everyone flips the fuck out and starts waving the banhammer around.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Cabal_chan View Post
    Technically, Finn is the reason Blaze is playing it. If Finn didn't come up with the deck, Blaze wouldn't be playing it, because the deck wouldn't exist. 'But but someone else woulda...' would yield the exact same discussion. Just replace Finn's name with someone else's.

Also by your reasoning, we should totally give all credit to Intel/IBM/other tech company for the transistor and forget about John Bardeen, Walter Brattain, and William Shockley.
    No. Not Really. The point was and still is that WotC made that box online due to Blaze's success with the deck online. Has nothing to do with Finn, at all. In your flawed logic, then it would have been any other random deck in Blaze's hands regardless.
    Respect my shine bitch!

Monster Xero
    Sep 2006
    Minneapolis

No. Not Really. The point was and still is that WotC made that box online due to Blaze's success with the deck online. Has nothing to do with Finn, at all.
    You don't actually know what WotC's reasoning behind making this deck was. However, if Finn hadn't invented the deck, it for sure wouldn't be a preconstructed deck, because it wouldn't exist.
    Team ICBE

Try not to wake up on fire.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Xero View Post
    You don't actually know what WotC's reasoning behind making this deck was. However, if Finn hadn't invented the deck, it for sure wouldn't be a preconstructed deck, because it wouldn't exist.
    No, I do know why WotC made those decks.
    Budget options that have been shown to be viable online- thanks to Blaze-. WotC wouldnt have printed that particular one if Blaze didnt play it so often and well.
    Respect my shine bitch!

I am the Killer Rabbit!
    Dec 2007
    Allen, TX

Quote Originally Posted by menace13 View Post
    No, I do know why WotC made those decks.
    Budget options that have been shown to be viable online- thanks to Blaze-. WotC wouldnt have printed that particular one if Blaze didnt play it so often and well.
    LOL, has WotC actually come out and specifically stated that that is their reasoning for making these decks? Or are you just automatically assuming that that is their reasoning for making these decks?

Apr 2010
    California

On MTGO, I am the player Blazelix. I have been running a "Death and Taxes" deck online since MTGO Legacy first started. To say that is half true because JarHorsk is the first player to successfully place with a mono white Death and Taxes build online. I am the first player to place with "Flicker Teeg" in Classic online (http://puremtgo.com/articles/format-...ed-and-classic). I played a GW Death and Taxes deck in an early legacy event and did not place. Since then I have placed in both Daily Events and Premier Events online plus MOCS VII at 37th place with Death and Taxes.

My original goal was to get Death and Taxes featured on mtg's Daily Deck List as a 1-day fly. I ran Benevolent Bodyguards for 3 months in the animal that is MTGO. This lead to me being the "WW deck with Karakas which should be a good matchup" (http://www.channelfireball.com/artic...n-a-real-deck/). The "White Weenie" player with "several good showings" ((http://puremtgo.com/articles/look-legacy-april-7-13-beginning). Finally, The "average Joe" playing a "homebrew white weenie deck" online (http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/s...of_Legacy.html). Now Death and Taxes on MTGO Legacy is much more than a simple white weenie list.

To say Finn is the one carrying up my wings is underestimating the Hive Mind. My fellow clannies and playtest buddies are the ones who have helped me improve my skills. I started with an old build of Death and Taxes from Deckcheck.net and have been improving the list since. I ran Land Tax in a classic build to fuel Jotun Grunts. I also ran Mana Crypt to get a turn 2 Elspeth on the battlefield. Now in my legacy build, I am running Leyline of Sanctity in my sideboard. Putting all the credit in once place is selfish as I have never said Death and Taxes is my own creation or pawned the deck as my own. Death and Taxes is now just another theme deck, which is much more than I wished for.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Quote Originally Posted by DalkonCledwin View Post
    LOL, has WotC actually come out and specifically stated that that is their reasoning for making these decks? Or are you just automatically assuming that that is their reasoning for making these decks?
    They-WotC- did not.
    I think they took a look into the the numbers and needed a way to boost online constructed. Finding budget decks that can win and offering them in a boxed package. Seeing it is the 2nd most placing deck online and that this is called MTGO online Deck series and Blaze has more than half of those 100 showings of the deck?.. I am going to have to say No, I dont think, I know.

Do you have a better arguement? Maybe WotC pulled straws? If i want to oo live in oblivious bizaro world, I might be inclined to not see simple correlations.
    LOL!!111ONE11ELEVEN.
    Respect my shine bitch!

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

So, to sum it all up, Finn created the deck, and Blaze tweaked it for a given meta? Isn't that what everyone is supposed to do? No offense to you, man, your post was perfectly polite, and I'm sure you're a damn good pilot. But your friends (if they are that, I'll just dub them "supporters") are leaving a less than favorable impression, due to their poor manners.

Furthermore, I'm willing to say that it may be (I'm not aware enough to make any surer statement) due to Blaze that Wizards is taking notice with regards to MTGO. However, Finn is responsible for the creation of the deck, and its popularity in paper magic, which is (as far as I'm aware of) much more popular with the Legacy format. So the credit should ultimately be given to Finn.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Apr 2010
    California

As mentioned earlier, MTGO Legacy and Legacy are not the same. I did not simply port a netdeck to MTGO in April when MTGO Legacy first started. The issue is not related to who discovered America first. Not who played the deck first. You could argue that person was JarHorsk. You also could also argue the player is Koby because Koby is the first to place with Death and Taxes in a Premier Event. This is about who made the deck popular on Magic Online which lead to the creation of a digital theme deck.

Yes, the new digital theme deck would have been created without any of my influence at all. Eventually wotc would have found a budget deck for their new deck series and published the list we have. I just find it hard to believe that Finn is the one who has the most influence with the creation of Exiler. I cannot remember the last time Finn was mentioned in a paper legacy article. Finn, who has no MTGO account and no solid results with "his" deck online.

I am flattered that Finn is aware of my Abolish build of Death and Taxes that I ran once. Finn has already posted my list (sans sideboard) in this very thread. It could be Finn who is copying people's decklists is waiting for his next build to be published. The original "Death and Taxes" deck was built by Finn on MTGSalvation. That whole thread produced the deck you see today. Finn is simply absorbing decklists and re-branding them as his own. To answer the original question, I am happy to see decks like these offered to new players online.

Thread Information