Thread: [SCD] Psychogenic Probe

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

[SCD] Psychogenic Probe

I'm creating a new thread because I did a search for 'Psychogenic Probe' and got no hits.

I was watching the SCG Open today, and kept thinking that while PP doesn't shut down Survival, it can get crazy amounts of damage in.

In Survival, you are looking at the following cards that have effects that cause you to shuffle your library:

- KotR
    - SMystic, depending on the list
    - Survival
    - At least 4 fetches, depending on the list

Canadian Threshold

6 fetches, ponder (potentially)

Countertop

- 2 Trinket Mage
    - 8 fetches

Rock

- 4 KotR, 8 Fetches

'BUG Control'

- 9 fetches, plus two effects that force your opponent to shuffle their library.

Then, the question is where would it fit? Burn? Maybe... it could deal at least 6 damage over the course of a game, if not more.

What If you stuck it in something that ran Extract, Extirpate, heck, Bitter Ordeal and Sadistic Sacrament with Damnation and Thoughtseize...

Just throwing ideas out there. What do you guys think?

I am the Killer Rabbit!
    Dec 2007
    Allen, TX

Re: [SCD] Psychogenic Probe

you realize 3 to 4 of the decks you listed all have ways of dealing with the card you are suggesting... some of which main deck those ways?

That said, I could see it being run in a burn deck as their primary or secondary answer to Vengevival. But I don't think it really fits anywhere else.
    "He's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun. He's ancient and forever... He burns at the center of time and he can see the turn of the universe... and... he's wonderful."

Ha, I actually tried that exact deck out a few months ago.

It absolutely wrecks combo decks that go off turn 2-3, and DESTROYS DDFT. It loses to like, everything else.

The Extract Deck + Psychogenic Probe also can't just be dependent on drawing Probe, so the real "win con" has to be to exile all your opponent's win conditions, which doesn't work against aggro. It's also just not fast enough.
    I'm a musician and would love your support.
    Please visit www.samandluke.com and check out the debut album, Standing in a Room!

--- Decks that Storm ---
    --- Also Goblins for when I don't feel like thinking ARRGH GOBLINS ---

Member-ish
    Feb 2006
    Manila

I fail to see how Probe destroys DDFT. I guess it could hurt Ad Nauseam as every tutor after that costs 2 more life, but DDFT? There aren't any search effects after the search for Doomsday (if you get it via Infernal, not Wish) and the Doomsday search itself.
    The Source: Your Source for "The Source: Your Source for..." cliche.

I'm sorry, my post was unclear. The Extract deck that runs Extract, Sad Sac, Extirpate, Bitter Ordeal, and all the other "search target player's library for X number of cards, then exile them" with rits and whatnot, that's what eats DDFT alive.

My friends' and my gauntlet was shallow at the time so we did a lot of testing. Turns out Extract.dec is not viable against decks with more than 3 cards of win-con. :P
    Last edited by sam.; 10-18-2010 at 04:20 AM. Reason: grammar error
    I'm a musician and would love your support.
    Please visit www.samandluke.com and check out the debut album, Standing in a Room!

--- Decks that Storm ---
    --- Also Goblins for when I don't feel like thinking ARRGH GOBLINS ---

You'd have to cast 2 sad sac's against DDFT to beat it because it runs 1x tendrils MD and 4x burning wish usually so that's 5 win con's. About the probe. If your meta is VV survival heavy just run a standard burn list with psychogenic probe in place of incinerate or something MD because chances are you will crush the VV survival player and psychogenic probe makes survival cry very hardcore and fetching costs 3 life so it is a bolt to the face every time they fetch when it sticks. The only bad part is that as a topdeck card the probe is so meh.

Also the latest canadian threshold list I saw top4 at SCG Nashville had 1 ponder and 4 preordain which is very interesting but I can understand it. A clique was cut for a ponder since he ran only 1 clique. Glad to see canadian threshold placed at an almost 200 person event.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Thread Information