View Poll Results: Play Zoo or G/W

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Play Zoo

4 13.79%
  • G/W is strictly better

9 31.03%
  • Play Either, they both are solid and depend on meta.

16 55.17%

Thread: Zoo vs. G/W Survival

Zoo vs. G/W Survival

I seem to see less Zoo top 8's at SCG 5k's and in my local community. It seems to be losing power. GW Survival seem much better to me, lets consider both decks.

Zoo: Burn (more removal), Good 1 drop's allowing for pressure.

GW: Possible Iona Combo, more high curve creatures (Knight and Vengivine) in addition to SOTF combo.

Both have same answers for combo, Gaddock Tegg.

Match-ups (my personal opinion):

GW vs. Zoo: G1: 70/30 G2-3: 60/40
    GW vs. Belcher/Ad G1: 40/60 G2-3: 50/50
    GW vs. Merfolk Seems even, counter-spells vs. removal, both decks have strong aggro. depends on build and players.
    GW vs. U/G Madness G1: 65/35 G2-3: 60/40 GW has mainboard Knights, Goyfs, and Qasali's,) Blue Green has mind harness in board both both decks have Macabre.)

Zoo vs. Belcher/Ad G1: 35/65 G2-3: 55/45 (Fast hands can wreck combo, but you usually lose G1, G2, you have hate and burn but the doesn't mean you win.)

Zoo vs. Merfolk G1: 45/55 G2-3: 55/45 (You may disagree, but heres my reasoning, G1 burn is good, but merfolk is fast and very powerful. G2, you have possible red blasts, and vexing shusher making the match-up much easiler.)

Zoo vs. U/G Madness G1:35/65 G2-3: 55/45 G1, is tough for obvious reasons, g2 is easy due to K-grip and removal + zoo has Knight's and Goyf's which beat vengivines.

I realize some decks were not mentioned (Loam, Lands, Landstill, Counterbalance, and New Horizions) feel free to discuss them, but I mentioned what I felt was a strong variety of Tier 1 decks, maybe belcher isn't but combo match-ups are relevant.

Is Zoo still worth playing? G/W seems better in most way? Also what zoo list do you like? Big Zoo? or more burn and 1-drops. What about main boarding Tegg? or side boarding bigger creatures/ More removal for G/W SOTF and Rock match-ups?

Re: Zoo vs. G/W Survival

I want to add my 2 cents to your MU considerations on the GW Survival side of things:

I think that the Belcher MU is worse than you estimated, also the UG Madness I think is a little worse G1, possibly even the Zoo MU, especially if they open with a fast start, but the Merfolk MU is way better than you estimate.

I think both decks are legit choices, but currently (until people really start to react to SotF) I think GW is the stronger choice.

Thread Information