Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Mystical Tutor be unbanned now?

Should Mystical Tutor be unbanned now?

With Survival Vengevine absolutely dominating, now seems like a good time to unban Mystical Tutor and print some even stronger graveyard hate.

B/U Reanimator and Ad Nauseum Tendrils were wiped off the face off the earth by the Mystical ban. No one was asking for the ban and the ban killed both decks completely and utterly. The decks weren't even winning that much before the ban. They won at a much lower percentage than Countertop or Merfolk did.

If Vengevine is allowed, it seems unfair to disallow two decks that weren't anywhere near as good as Vengevine. Allowing these decks would make graveyard hate that much more potent. If wizards printed some even stronger grave hate to accompany the unbanning, it along with the reintroduction of Tendrils should be enough to rebalance the format without banning anything.

Arbitrary Wielder of Justice

Oct 2003

Re: Should Mystical Tutor be unbanned now?

No. If people stopped playing decks that weren't totally embarrassing, we wouldn't even have this 'problem.' Unbanning Mystical would be a cure worse than the disease.
    When in doubt, mumble.

When in trouble, delegate.

No. People should be more creative with deckbuilding. It's actually a good thing deckheck.net shut down.

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I think anybody who actually has a legacy collection is playing survival. People on the budget are playing embarassing decks as Frogboy mentioned. Unbanning mystical wouldn't help. People will still have survival fever and will continue playing it.

Dis iz da WAAAGH!
    Jan 2007
    Chicagoland

I've been playing Elf Survival for longer than Vengevine has been out and I'm wanting to switch. I already was able to race Reanimator, and Vengevival is a bit faster than Elf Survival.
    DCI Lvl II Judge

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Leftconsin View Post
    I've been playing Elf Survival for longer than Vengevine has been out and I'm wanting to switch. I already was able to race Reanimator, and Vengevival is a bit faster than Elf Survival.
    This is exactly the same thing I discovered. Elf has a problem turning Survival into an instant win within 2 turns (or rather, needs to generate way too much mana to formally win).

Vengevine solved the problem easily. GGGGG -> attack for 16. Weeeeeee! Reload for GG.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    No. If people stopped playing decks that weren't totally embarrassing, we wouldn't even have this 'problem.'
    I agree.

Jun 2010
    Oceanside, CA

No mystical should stay banned, there is no diversity in the format if we are just teeter tottering back and forth between banning s and unbanning of the same cards.

A healthy format is not one where I revert back to my storm list from 8-12 months ago, ignore you and just win no turn 2.

The community needs to gather up its best and brightest and we need to start discussing other cards which can be unbanned and would have a positive impact on the current meta game. Including more archetypes will allow for a greater diversity and depth to an incredibly rich playing field.

Cards like:
    Frantic Search
    Gush
    Earthcraft
    Timespiral

My 2 cents.

Rapin' your villages, Burnin' your women
    Dec 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Jodahae View Post
    No mystical should stay banned, there is no diversity in the format if we are just teeter tottering back and forth between banning s and unbanning of the same cards.

A healthy format is not one where I revert back to my storm list from 8-12 months ago, ignore you and just win no turn 2.

The community needs to gather up its best and brightest and we need to start discussing other cards which can be unbanned and would have a positive impact on the current meta game. Including more archetypes will allow for a greater diversity and depth to an incredibly rich playing field.

Cards like:
    Frantic Search
    Gush
    Earthcraft
    Timespiral

My 2 cents.
    I don't see how mystical would lead to a non-diverse format. The format was just as diverse before the ban, wizards was just flipping out because they wrecked some scrubs with AdN. Also, the idea of a Madness-Combo-Counterbalance triangle intrigues me.

Also, excepting mystical, I dont feel anything on the B/R list is safe to unban.

No. Both decks it makes good are boring to play and play against

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kruchkow View Post
    Also, excepting mystical, I dont feel anything on the B/R list is safe to unban.
    (Begins the same old Land Tax unbanning discussion...)

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

Yes. MT wasn't causing problems to begin with. There was no good reason for it to be banned. There were some bad reasons and now a little bit of bandwagoning. Personally, I felt like the month or two after the MT ban were the hardest times for me to beat combo... Because combo went from being synonymous with ANT to "maybe TES, maybe SI, maybe Shelldrazi, maybe Show 'n' Sneak, maybe...".
    Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Plow their Mom every chance you get!

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by otherside View Post
    No. Both decks it makes good are boring to play and play against
    Talk for yourself, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    you just want us to do that because of your Silences, you sly dog.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Avatar of kicks_422's creation and property

Who says he wasn't?

Nov 2006
    Brasil

"Not causing trouble" is not what one should take into account to ban a card. ANT had pretty good results against a field flooded with CB+Top, a controlish deck that should be able to handle combo as "favorable match". ANT was imbalanced, even tho it was not that much played.
    ANT should have won GP Madrid that game, iirc acording to emidln, ANT player made a mistake.
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

Aug 2010
    Lucca, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Gui_Brasil View Post
    ANT should have won GP Madrid that game, iirc acording to emidln, ANT player made a mistake.
    I don't agree with you: ANT palayer DIDN'T make a mistake: beacause he reveled a lot of cards in Nausea, but he didn't find a mana source...
    remember that he started reveling cards with no mana in pool, coz the reanimator player made Daze on nausea and the guy pay the cost.

The mistake was failure to play his LEDs when storm count would not matter but Duress/Thoughtseize would. That would give him +2 mana in this pool if he dropped just LEDs or +3 if he dropped all artifact mana.

As always, magic players need to consider not only their own strategy, but their strategy with regard to what their opponent can do from the information they have thus far. In game 3 of a top8 at a Grand Prix, you damn well better know your opponent has two major disruption spells: Force of WIll and Thoughtseize/Duress. You can do much about Force except Duress it or sometimes assemble natural Tendrils or 2nd bomb with SDT. Thoughtseize/Duress can be played around if you the have the right combination of cards, and he did have the right combination of cards.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Quote Originally Posted by PunkRocker1134 View Post
    (Begins the same old Land Tax unbanning discussion...)

What's hilarious is there's several white based decks that just destroy survival without a second thought, but need Land tax to be able to keep up with Jace control.

Quote Originally Posted by dahcmai View Post
    What's hilarious is there's several white based decks that just destroy survival without a second thought, but need Land tax to be able to keep up with Jace control.
    White decks that play Jace can do that now. There's a card, it's called Humility. I hear it's really good against decks with a bunch of dorks+abilities. What's better than hosing a bunch of dorks with abilities? Tutoring for the card that does it with Enlightened Tutor. ETutor brings more value to the matchup in the form of Engineered Explosives, Oblivion Ring, and Pithing Needle.

Sure, you're never going to beat Merfolk in games that you don't resolve Humility, but given how well Survival has been doing, that's probably a chance you just have to take.

You can play it as a thopter deck. You can play it as a more traditional control deck that just grinds out Jace advantage. You can probably even run it with CounterTop like in the past (although I'd argue that you don't really want to be playing CB when the field is accelerating into 3 and 4 drops on turns 2 and 3). The point is that you just want to play Humility and ways to find it.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by dahcmai View Post
    This. I play Quinn and I'm happy with both aggro and control matchups. Not so much with control though.

Speaking of Land Tax, is it really that broken with Scroll Rack?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Thread Information