Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Mystical Tutor be unbanned now?

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Re: Should Mystical Tutor be unbanned now?

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    This. I play Quinn and I'm happy with both aggro and control matchups. Not so much with control though.

Speaking of Land Tax, is it really that broken with Scroll Rack?
    Not in Legacy. In old Extended maybe, but not in Legacy.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

Yes it should be unbanned now (because it never should have been banned in the first place).

If you have a helpless opponent who has done nothing to impede your progress or blow up your permanents and you have GGGGG ready to spend you probably should win.

Merkwürdigeliebe
    Aug 2006
    Vienna, AT

Yes. It wasn't a problem to begin with.

Yes it should be unbanned. Never should have been banned in the first place.
    Hill Giant means business.

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

No. Solid ban. And keep dreaming. They're not going to just re-unban it after banning it the first time fixed Legacy until Vengevine.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

I don't know if Wizards will go for the plan of fixing a slightly broken interaction by letting two of the most consistent combo decks to ever get sleeved up back into the format. I would love to play NLS again, but it's probably better for the format if we don't see so many hybrid combo decks like Reanimator and the various ANT lists that used tutor to transform around hate. I never did get a chance to take the final form of NLS to a large event though...
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

No, unbanning Mystical Tutor would be disastrous right now. Yes, Reanimator and ANT would push out Vengevine decks, but people would quickly realize how much more powerful said decks are with tutor. They would swarm the meta and would likely dominate.

Why they did not before? They simply did not catch on as i suspect that combo decks are not as popular as the common tribal or aggro-control decks.

Yo sé, mi español es terrible :S
    Jun 2010
    East SF Bay, CA (Summer and Winter breaks) or Austin, TX (college)

No. Ad Nauseam players who liked to play combo decks on autopilot can stop whining. Survival Madness isn't nearly as annoying as ANT or Reanimator were. I think Vacrix's excellent article, Ill-Gotten Pains, is correct here.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRock View Post
    Regardless of Threshold variant though, CB = , , and .
    Quote Originally Posted by kiblast View Post
    c'mon, 5 minutes to side 3 cards? who are you? Deep Blue challenging Kasparov?

I'm glad it was banned and hope it remains banned.

I fail to see how unbanning one of the most broken tutors to ever exist is a wise idea.
    Suddenly, Fluffy realized she wasn't quite like the other bunnies anymore.

-Team R&D-
    -noitcelfeR maeT-

Quote Originally Posted by Rico Suave View Post
    I fail to see how unbanning one of the most broken tutors to ever exist is a wise idea.
    Because then more people would play combo, and since combo beats Survival, Wizards wouldn't have to ban Vengevine.

It's perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    Because then more people would play combo, and since combo beats Survival, Wizards wouldn't have to ban Vengevine.

It's perfect.
    Combo beats Survival? MD Fow, Daze and Spell Pierce would like to have a word with you.

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

You know what other decks play MD Fow, Daze and Spell Pierce? Like half the format. Combo doesn't seem to have an issue with them either.

Quote Originally Posted by Meekrab View Post
    You know what other decks play MD Fow, Daze and Spell Pierce? Like half the format. Combo doesn't seem to have an issue with them either.
    Are you saying combo is unbeatable? Gee, I've beaten expirienced players with goblins back when MT was unbanned. I'm not saying that Combo can't beat Fow, Daze and Spell Pierce, but it's not as straight forward as you're saying.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

But people already are playing more combo. Its only a matter of time before the results surface. Just recently I saw a post in the SI forum.. in an 138 person tournament 2 SI players were seating right next to each other. What are the chances of that happening? More people are playing TES and Solidarity, Spring Tide is winning tournaments.. Further, Mystical Tutor would just make combo too easy and you wouldn't have all these cool old school combo decks becoming viable again.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

I would honestly be for unbanning Vampiric Tutor before Mystical.

What would the best Vamp Tutor decks be if it was legal? Probably ANT, Reanimator, and some two card combo like Show and Tell. Some Rock or Attrition deck might be like the fifth or sixth best option, the gist is that the main thing people would be doing is comboing.

In context of that, lets consider this: are any of the combo decks Vamp helps getting things they couldn't Mystical for? ANT can get LED, but is better than Dark Rit + 2 life? Reanimator can get a guy to Show and Tell or a land, but they would again much rather have 2 life. You can't even pitch a Vampiric Tutor to Force.

Even if they are getting non-Mystical fetchable cards, is there actually a deck using Vamp that is more resilient, powerful, and faster than Reanimator or Tendrils?

Seriously, Mystical is actually more degenerate than Vampiric Tutor right now.

Quote Originally Posted by AriLax View Post
    Even if they are getting non-Mystical fetchable cards, is there actually a deck using Vamp that is more resilient, powerful, and faster than Reanimator or Tendrils?
    BG Survival. Maybe not all 3 of those things but probably at least 2/3.
    Also being able to get a creature for use with show and tell seems quite relevant and totally worth the 2 life if it wins the game.

Quote Originally Posted by AriLax View Post
    I would honestly be for unbanning Vampiric Tutor before Mystical.

What would the best Vamp Tutor decks be if it was legal? Probably ANT, Reanimator, and some two card combo like Show and Tell. Some Rock or Attrition deck might be like the fifth or sixth best option, the gist is that the main thing people would be doing is comboing.

In context of that, lets consider this: are any of the combo decks Vamp helps getting things they couldn't Mystical for? ANT can get LED, but is better than Dark Rit + 2 life? Reanimator can get a guy to Show and Tell or a land, but they would again much rather have 2 life. You can't even pitch a Vampiric Tutor to Force.

Seriously, Mystical is actually more degenerate than Vampiric Tutor right now.
    Another tutor for Survival? Great! I'd like that.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

And find what? Survival is already tight for deck space. No build would play it.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Thread Information