Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should Mystical Tutor be unbanned now?

Re: Should Mystical Tutor be unbanned now?

Creature for Show and Tell: No different usually than Mystical for Entomb.

Survival: GWB could play 8 Tutors, 4 Survival. Would still be slower than Storm and vulnerable to similar hate.

Cards that ANT would like to tutor for but can't with Mystical Tutor:

Lion's Eye Diamond
    Sensei's Divining Top
    Serenity
    basic Island
    Dark Confidant
    Vendilion Clique

Of those, cards that Reanimator would like to tutor for:

Serenity
    Emrakul

I'm not saying that other decks wouldn't also find cards, but you'd actually be shoring up the only weaknesses that exist in the two combo decks. Giving them a more resilient gameplan to find SDT and LED (the two keys in the ANT/DD hybrid and one of the best ways to beat discard or heavy control with UB ANT) and opening up the option of Show and Tells to go along with Emrakul while both of them being tutorable (by vamp and SnT by Burning Wish) leaves you in a rough situation as a counterbalance deck. You're now fighting the GP top8 deck that was designed to beat Counterbalance while this same deck is crushing everyone else by being ANT that can pay 1BW to smash canonist, chalice, thorn, crypt, and pillar.

Reanimator gets an alternate to Show and Tell in the form of Serenity, something that negates the most commonly played graveyard hate and potential permanent-based solutions like Humility.

The only real light is that the Counterbalance decks would probably also play Vampiric Tutor and use it to setup CB/Top lock or find Natural Order/Firespout/Painter combo. I'm not sure how many colors the CB deck plays, but it's probably based UGB with the ability to tutor into edicts, firespouts, ee, academy ruins, and shackles as the situation dictates.

The rest of the decks, well, I don't know that I'd support playing something without 4 Force of Will, 4 Vampiric Tutor, and Underground Sea.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Quote Originally Posted by AriLax View Post
    I would honestly be for unbanning Vampiric Tutor before Mystical.

What would the best Vamp Tutor decks be if it was legal? Probably ANT, Reanimator, and some two card combo like Show and Tell. Some Rock or Attrition deck might be like the fifth or sixth best option, the gist is that the main thing people would be doing is comboing.

In context of that, lets consider this: are any of the combo decks Vamp helps getting things they couldn't Mystical for? ANT can get LED, but is better than Dark Rit + 2 life? Reanimator can get a guy to Show and Tell or a land, but they would again much rather have 2 life. You can't even pitch a Vampiric Tutor to Force.

Even if they are getting non-Mystical fetchable cards, is there actually a deck using Vamp that is more resilient, powerful, and faster than Reanimator or Tendrils?

Seriously, Mystical is actually more degenerate than Vampiric Tutor right now.
    That could never be true, old extended played unrestricted V.Tuts and it was in every deck- Reanimator was played back then with a sideboard of 15 singeltons ranging from Enchantments/Artifacts to creatures and every hate card, anti-hate card that could be tutored for(which is everything and that was old Ext, Legacy has 10k+ cards to tutor for.)-.

Vamp Tuts can also be sideboarded to bring in game 2 and 3, so a small black splash is all that is needed. Any deck would have to have a really, really good reason not to include the 2nd best tutor in game, when all it requires is a couple swamps in the deck.

No aggro deck can successfully employ Mystical to its highest potential, same is true of control in Legacy, but every archetype can use Vamp and use it rather well.

Zoo,Gobs,Merf could splash black for it, Team America would find room, The Rock/Deadguy/Eva green would love that ability, Jacestill and Countertop and a host of decks would add it in.

Mystical only enables combo- Reanimator,ANT and Show and Tell- decks since cards like Mana Drain,YWill,Tinker,Balance, and Blue power are banned no other archetype can take advantage of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

BUG Landstill would kill for Vamp tuts. Least I would immediately find room. I'd love to only have Loam when I need it or not clog my hand with deeds against storm. Things like that are the stuff of dreams for control decks, especially ones that already run black.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Yeah, actually, i think Vampiric would not be as bad as Mystical. Think about it, Reanimator would have an hard time playing FoW with vamp instead of mystic, the old lists played 20-21 blue spells with mystical including the fatties (4 brainstorm 4fow 4 mystical 4 careful study 4 Daze 1 roboakroma 1 leviathan 1 SnT). You'd have to play a couple more blue fatties to be confortable with vamp. AnT would play it, but aside from LED and lands you can get anything already with mystical. It would have a nice boost sure, but control decks able to find an answer to iona using vamp tutor in response to exhume/entomb? Or vamp for a singleton mindbreak trap the moment you see you're playing against storm? Or Vamp for pithing needle/extirpate against Survine?

Having Vamp instead of Mystical would lead probably to a more control based format while still boosting combo. Vamp is like a dream for rock/control decks. I remember my old Rock in extended that played singleton e. plague, edict , planar void, naturalize and living death :P

A espancar até enjoar...
    Aug 2010
    Lisbon

If vamp was unbanned there would be no reason to play anything but ad nauseam...
    Acima de nós só DEUS...

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Catitas View Post
    If vamp was unbanned there would be no reason to play anything but ad nauseam...
    Oh, I doubt I'd play AnT. There would be better choices. I would probably stop playing Rock and start playing a CB Hexmage deck heavy on disruption and permission with 4 MD Extirpates and light removal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Plow their Mom every chance you get!

Thread Information