Thread: Mono U Merfolk 2nd place at Asgard Games - Workshop event

Mono U Merfolk 2nd place at Asgard Games - Workshop event

So my friend Chris and I decided Friday night to go play legacy on Saturday morning. I look on the stores website and it says legacy at 1 o’clock. Saturday morning I set off in plenty time to get to Chris’s and we carpool down into Houston, which takes about an hour because Houston is huge, and traffic is awful.

Round 1 – So the store website says 1 o’clock. We get there at 12:50. Will the storeowner says sorry we started at 12. Boo. He says he can put my buddy and me both in as late entries so we both get a loss. ☹ We say yes and go to pay. He tells us it is $25. I kind of look at him in disbelief because it is usually $10 he points to the counter and says it is a tournament for a workshop and duals. Nice! $25 gets paid.

Quick stop to Einstein bagels to go get some food while round one finishes. While in the Einstein’s we decide what to play. I have only ever played in 4 legacy events in my life up to this point. Having played UWgb fish, Canadian Thresh, NoProg and Merfolk in my previous tournaments. Last time I played at this store I was wielding Merfolk. I would have done well except for misplays like attacking with Lord of Atlantis, etc. I decide just to stick with playing FOW's and play merfolk again. My friend decide to play with my ANT list.

My List:
    4 AEther Vial
    4 Standstill
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    3 Spell Pierce
    1 Echoing Truth

4 Cursecatcher
    4 Silvergill Adept
    4 Coralhelm Commander
    4 Lord of Atlantis
    4 Merrow Reejerey

4 Mutavault
    4 Wasteland
    12 Island

SB
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Tormod’s Crypt
    1 Spellpierce
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Umezawa’s Jitte
    1 Llawan, Cephalid Empress
    2 Stifle
    3 Hydroblast
    2 Submerge
    1 Hibernation

Round 2- BUG Landstill with Treasure Hunt instead of Standstill (From what I saw)

Super nice guy we chat and play 3 great games.

Game 1 - I over commit and get punished by him playing treasure hunt into mass removal each time he plays it. He has both EE and Pernicious deed. Game 1 I do get to echoing truth 2 Coralhelm Commanders back in response to deed which is pretty sweet. I still lose though.

Games 2 and 3 he plays crop rotation. I take the 2 for 1 each time and it slows him down enough for me to island walk all over him. One game he needed the crop rotation because he was cut off of black.

Round 3 – Lands/ Scapeshift
    Game 1 - I counter his first two spells and wasteland his only green source. From there I just aggro the hell out of him.

Game 2 - I am a retard and forgot to side out standstills and he eventually uses bosejiu to cast scapeshift.

Game 3 - With my sideboard correct I race through his multiple maze of iths and vesuvas. He is tight on mana due to all the mazes but plays two firespouts a cursecatcher takes one for the team each time.

Round 4 – ANT ID because we will both make T8.

Quarters – Sea Stompy
    Game 1 - I let him resolve some equipment, then proceed to play daze, fow, fow and daze. Meanwhile fishes attack him even though he has no island in play.

Game 2 – I bring in Llawan, Cephalid Empress. I mulligan to 6 and open, Island, Wasteland, Vial, Vial, Llawan, Cephalid Empress, Echoing Truth. I keep. He accelerates out Jiitte turn 1 and Trinket Mage on turn 2. He starts attacking for 6 each turn. I play my two vials with trinket he fetches pithing needle. On one turn he goes to play chalice at two I have vial at 3 and echoing truth in hand. I bounce his pithing needle. Then let chalice resolve and win a counter war over him replaying Pithing Needle. I put vial on four counters and vial in the Llawan, Cephalid Empress. My opponent shakes his head and packs it up. Jitte has 2 counters on it but Llawan, Cephalid Empress is a 2/3.

Semi – Welder Survival (Metalwalker)

Game 1 - I put him on survival and welder surival pretty early. I let all of his spells resolves till he attempts to cast survival. My hand is daze, coralhelm and FOW. I go into the tank for a minute because he has one mana still open and 4 cards in hand. I have 2 fish on the board and at least one Mutavault. I decide to remove coralhelm commander. His follow up is quirion ranger. I daze. This play wins me the game. He is now just a turn or two too slow to combo me out when he drops fauna shaman the next turn.

Game 2 – I bring in some hate and have submerge in my opening hand as well as echoing truth. Submerge kills birds of paradise in response to a fetchlands and my fish are bigger than his Goyf. He does Tidehollow Sculler and Thoughtseize me but it is not enough.

Finals – Zoo

Game 1 - I lose the game because I don’t crank up vial on turn 3. My opening hand is (Island, Mutavault, Standstill, LOA, Silvergill Adept, Coralhelm, Cursecatcher)

Game 2 – His hand is just much better than mine and I don’t draw a single sideboard card even though I brought in 7-8 cards. Oh well he plays well and has infinite removal for all my fishes.

+
    Coralhelm Commander for being bananas all day. I only got to island walk a couple times all day so flying Coralhelm got there.
    Chris for going to sprinkles and getting me a cupcake
    Winning an Unlimited Volcanic.

-
    Coming to the tournament at the wrong time.
    Houston traffic.
    Funeral procession number one and two on I-45 on the way there
    Accident on 59 on the way home

-Cheers-

The only one he ever feared
    Oct 2009
    Sweden's Jerusalem

Re: Mono U Merfolk 2nd place at Asgard Games - Workshop event

Really random that the store had the wrong time on their site. In any case, with only 4 rounds of swiss the tourney must have been small, like 16 people, right? Really nice of you to take the loss like a man and get 2nd in any case. Tough luck to run into one of our worst matchups in the finals.

Regarding the list: Did the maindeck Echoing Truth ever make a difference? I find that random 1-ofs in a deck that lacks the filtring power of Brainstorm, Ponder and fetchlands to be really iffy. Even 2-ofs is a bit short in my experience.

Nonetheless, nice work, congratulations on your finish and thanks for a nice report.

Quote Originally Posted by Purgatory View Post
    Really random that the store had the wrong time on their site. In any case, with only 4 rounds of swiss the tourney must have been small, like 16 people, right? Really nice of you to take the loss like a man and get 2nd in any case. Tough luck to run into one of our worst matchups in the finals.

Regarding the list: Did the maindeck Echoing Truth ever make a difference? I find that random 1-ofs in a deck that lacks the filtring power of Brainstorm, Ponder and fetchlands to be really iffy. Even 2-ofs is a bit short in my experience.

Nonetheless, nice work, congratulations on your finish and thanks for a nice report.
    There were 17 people in total (I think). So yeah you were pretty much on the money. When we arrived we were going to just leave but the owner was like there arent that many people here and we are going to do a top 8. Seeing as there was prizes for top 4 they didnt want to auto cut to top 4.

The echoing truth was honestly amazing for me all day. My list was basically saito's list but mono blue rather than adding black. In testing playing 21 lands just felt like too many. I tested Mishra's factory instead of another island which was fine but i felt like it was just not as good as another blue spell. There are no more merfolk that are 1 or 2 drops that I wanted to run so I was left with the choices of running - Kira, Merfolk Soverign, Counter or Bounce. Personally I hate Merfolk Soverign unless you run the all lords all the time version. As an aside Merrow Reejery was the weakest card in my deck all day. Being a 3 drop also kept me away from both Soverign and Kira.

I didnt like Kira just because my plan was to bring in Jittes for matchups like goblins. Though Kira would have made my zoo games a little easier. Being a 3 drop also kept me away from both Soverign and Kira. I thought the deck was pretty good on counters. Though I did think about running a one off spellsnare instead of echoing truth. I used echoing truth to force through final damage, bounce my creatures in response to removal and bounce permanents all day. Echoing truth also pitches to FOW which I did at least twice and would not have been able to do if it had been a land. I was also conscious that there were going to be 3 combo players and they would all have empty the warrens. I would rather have one out with no good way to get it than just know i was stone cold dead to either 10 goblins or some other troublesome permanent.

-Cheers-

Congrats on your finish. Nice to see your playing Legacy again. I still need to order the rest of the uncommons so I can play merfolk.

Thread Information