Thread: [EDH] Braids

Overseas mascotte of IcBE
    Jul 2005
    Tilburg, the Netherlands

[EDH] Braids

I was going to finish the chaos draft I held with some friends next Sunday, but unfortunately one of the guys can't make it. I offered to bring some EDH decks for the other two guys so we can at least play. I am the only one who still plays regularly and has a pretty decent collection, so I have no problem with it. The only problem is that I only have a Sisay deck at the moment, so I started looking through my Legendary collection to see what other decks I could make. I already had build a Dragon deck, so I guess I'll just rebuild that one, but I was really stuck on the 3th one.

I came across Braids, but remembered she was banned, so I didn't bother with her. I was going for Stonebrow, but after looking at the banned list, I was bazzled only the black Braids is banned. I reread the blue one and it's a fricking Show and Tell every upkeep!

Here is the draft I shoved together in half an hour. I would like some comments on the list, although I might not be able to make the suggested changes. I have a nice collection, but blue is a color I never really played outside of competive play (and I tend to avoid it even there, no Jace the Moneyslurper for me), so I don't have much of the casual cards. I have also put a lot of cards in the other 2 decks (I only have 1 Strip Mine for instance), and I won't be able to spend a lot of money on it. I'm just saying because I might not be able to make all the changes.

Here is the list:
    General:
    Braids, Conjurer Adept

Lands:
    27x Island
    Wasteland
    Maze of Ith
    Soaring Seacliff
    Tolaria West
    Lonely Sandbar
    Cephalid Coliseum
    Faerie Conclave
    Halimar Depths
    Academy Ruins
    Minamo, School at Water's Edge
    Eye of Ugin

Card quality and quantity:
    Kami of the Crescent Moon
    Arcanis the Omnipotent
    Magus of the Future

Ancestral Vision
    Sensei's Divining Top
    Brainstorm
    Ponder
    Preordain
    Candles of Leng
    Mind Spring
    Standstill
    Concentrate
    Foresee
    Fact or Fiction

Control:
    Ertai, Wizard Adept
    Venser, Shaper Savant
    Draining Whelk
    Duplicant

Pact of Negation
    Echoing Truth
    Counterspell
    Trickbind
    Wipe Away
    Rewind
    Dismiss
    Nevinyrral's Disk
    Force of Will
    Spelljack
    Time Stop
    All is Dust

Steal/Copy other's stuff:
    Gilded Drake
    Sakashima the Impostor
    Vesuvan Shapeshifter

Vedalken Shackles
    Bribery
    Treachery
    Dominate

General Utility:
    Djinn of Wishes

Proteus Staff
    Show and Tell
    Jace Beleren
    Time Warp
    Planar Portal
    Mindslaver

Making playing Show and Tell worth it:
    Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
    Guile
    Wurmcoil Engine
    Keiga, the Tide Star
    Platinum Angel
    Goliath Sphinx
    Palinchron
    Artisan of Kozilek
    Pathrazer of Ulamog
    Tidal Kraken
    Deep-Sea Kraken
    Tidespout Tyrant
    Darksteel Colossus
    Myojin of Seeing Winds
    Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
    Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
    Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

Any help would be appreciated! Only a few more days to tweak it a little and another one still to build.....
    4th: 293/363
    5th: 82/434
    Vi: 159/167
    Wl: 100/167
    Te: 318/335
    St: 132/143
    Ex: 136/143
    US: 235/335
    3/8 Sealed boosters
    1/8 Sealed boosterboxes

Only 632 cards left for a full Korean set, over 69% done (last update 05/27)
    Always looking for sealed product!

Sep 2009
    Bratislava, Slovak republic

Re: [EDH] Braids

I was trying to imagine similar deck. Any thoughts ended at point when people said that when I play Braids, it will be the opponent who will benefit first.

The cards that are used are pretty nice for such deck. If there are any methods which cause opponent to sacrifice permanent each turn it will be veeery funny. However... In blue? There are cards saying "pay or sacrifice"... Aura flux, Pendrell mists... and so on...

If you get your opponent to state when he cannot pay all the upkeeps for his permanents while you can or you have no upkeep costs at all you will benefit from the Braids Ability.
    Last edited by Offler; 11-18-2010 at 08:18 AM.

You can benefit from her first if you can manage to flash her into play. :D

Ward of Bone is pretty awesome in Braids. Knowledge Exploitation is just begging to join the party, especially if he can invite Eye of the Storm to tag along.

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

Braids and Paradox Haze are amazing. Also if you planning on mostly multiplayer mind's eye and Rhystic Study provide ridiculous card advantage.

And as far as big blue game altering fatties go some other good ones might be Inkwell Leviathan and Stormtide Leviathan.

you might try platinum emperion instead of platinum angel. Staying at positive life is better than going into negative but he offers just a little less protection. Might want to include the guy with landfall steal permanents (dont recall the name).

I think minds eye is also a good replacement for candles of leng.

Thread Information