Page 276 of 389 FirstFirst ... 176226266272273274275276277278279280286326376 ... LastLast
Results 5,501 to 5,520 of 7773

Thread: [Deck] The Rock

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Re: [Deck] The Rock

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    Let us know if you become a merchant of death. I would recommend getting Confidants when you can, though. They're only going to go up.

Is anyone here specifically in need of cards? Is anyone still running Shocks instead of duals or doesn't have Sylvans, etc.? I've got a ton of extra stuff that I may just send out.

-Matt
    You're joking right? You can have my girlfriend if you send me a deck :)
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Feb 2010
    innsbruck, austria

Is anyone here specifically in need of cards? Is anyone still running Shocks instead of duals or doesn't have Sylvans, etc.? I've got a ton of extra stuff that I may just send out.

-Matt
    i'm still running shocks, sadly..... but right now i do not even have the money for real duals.... sylvans would be awesome as well

i'm curious about the prices, and how shipments would work from the US to europe

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Let us know if you become a merchant of death. I would recommend getting Confidants when you can, though. They're only going to go up.

-Matt
    I still need sylvans... if you are handing out/selling rock extras.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

-Matt

I have some BUG stuff up for trade looking for Junk/Maverick stuff.
    I have :
    1 Jace
    1 FoW
    1 underground (signed)
    3 shardless agent
    1 strix
    4 visions
    4 misty rainforest
    1 foil jap creeping tar pit

What I am looking for:
    3 savannah
    3 scrubland
    4 stoneforge
    2 dci bitterblossom
    3 marsh flats
    4 windswept heath
    1 maze
    1 karakas
    4 mom
    1 batterskull
    1 ftv dryad arbor

I think this is about it for whst I am looking for and what I have up gor trade. I also live play in elmira ny so if anyone local is looking to trade it would be easy.

Im on the toilet right now so I can't post the list but, had an awesome showing with my new rock list last night at our Tuesday local, going essentially 3-1.

I lost to burn, beat dredge, drew against Sam blacks zombies (I had the third game locked up, but we weren't playing for about 35 minutes, its really casual environment and we got distracted for awhile, so I count this as a win since at a real tournament I would have won in the next turn or two with overwhelming board presence), and beat the mirror.

Burn is just tough. Not a lot of great answers.

Dredge I beat via nihil spellbombs and teeg. And game three I saw three hate pieces in my mull to 6, snap keep.

Zombardment I got draw engines online and batterskull gets there.

The rock, game one got close, I put myself to 4 with sylvan to recover from a mull and to dig out of his creatures. Eventually draw engine vs not draw engine, engine wins. I end the game at like 26. Next game I keep a weird hand full of high impact equipment and removal / sweepers. He pulses my and his bob which gave me the clear to start dumping equipment, stoneforge flashed in a lot of stuff and a 10/10 ooze with sofaf and a 6/7 goyf with jitte get there.

Happiest with the sideboard, I designed it to just be able to tune the deck in directions rather than straight hard counter strategies.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Post your list?

-Matt

Post your list?

-Matt
    No longer on the toilet!

//Creatures: 15
    4x Deathrite Shaman
    4x Dark Confidant
    3x Stoneforge Mystic
    3x Tarmogoyf
    1x Gaddock Teeg

// Spells: 18
    3x Lingering Souls
    1x Maelstrom Pulse
    2x Abrupt Decay
    3x Swords to Plowshares
    3x Cabal Therapy
    3x Thoughtseize
    3x Green Sun's Zenith

// Stuff: 5
    3x Sylvan Library
    1x Batterskull
    1x Umezawa's Jitte

// Lands: 22
    3x Bayou
    2x Savannah
    2x Scrublands
    3x Wasteland
    1x Karakas
    4x Verdant Catacombs
    4x Marsh Flats
    1x Forest
    1x Swamp
    1x Plains

// Sideboard: 15
    1x Abrupt Decay
    1x Swords to Plowshares
    1x Pernicious Deed
    1x Duress
    1x Thoughtseize
    2x Nihil Spellbomb
    2x Surgical Extraction
    3x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1x Gaddock Teeg
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Sword of Feast and Famine

This list felt just..super flexible. I didn't miss Knights much, which I thought I would, stoneforge just feels a lot more powerful. My idea with the sideboard was to be able to just..fill out in any direction I need to. If I need more spot removal, I have it, if I need more discard, I have it, along with the extra equipment, and then the standard anti-graveyard / anti-combo cards, even though Thalia and Teeg come up -a lot-.

Burn:
    Out: 3x Thoughtseize 3x Therapy
    In: 3x Thalia, 1x Teeg, 1x Ooze, 1x Abrupt Decay

Dredge:
    Out: 3x Thoughtseize, 2x Abrupt Decay, 3x Cabal Therapy, 3x Lingering Souls
    In: 2x Nihil Spellbomb, 2x Surgical Extraction, 3x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, 1x Gaddock Teeg, 1x Scavenging Ooze, 1x Pernicious Deed, 1x Swords to Plowshares

Zombies:
    Out: 3x Thoughtseize, 3x Cabal Therapy
    In: 2x Nihil Spellbomb, 1x Scavenging Ooze, 1x Pernicious Deed, 1x Swords to Plowshares, 1x Abrupt Decay

The Rock:
    Out: 3x Thoughtseize, 3x Cabal Therapy
    In: 2x Nihil Spellbomb, 1x Scavenging Ooze, 1x Pernicious Deed, 1x Swords to Plowshares, 1x Abrupt Decay

I'm curious...

How crucial is Wasteland anymore?

4 color Deathblade runs an insanely greedy mana base and dominates the format on the back of Deathrite Shaman. Shardless BUG runs 3-4 colors and does great in the format, again on the back . Countertop strategies run and fetch enough basics to invalidate Wastelands. Your abusive combo decks win before the Wasteland matters, although hitting a sole Underground Sea against a one-lander then running out hatebears can be a valid path to victory. Omniscience runs almost solely Islands.

Your traditional decks that attack the mana base - Death and Taxes, Goblins - are okay, but haven't put up results. Neither has Rock, for that matter.

Removing Wasteland(s) gives Knight builds extra utility to run a combination of Tower of the Magistrate, Cabal Pit, Nantuko Monastery, Thespian Stage/Dark Depths. This gives you:

• Anti-Stoneblade
    • Anti-DRS
    • Jace/Batterskull Killer
    • 20/20 EOT Game Ender

Obviously, Loam builds can profit well off of chaining Wastelands (although this is one of the most brutal anti-Graveyard metas in quite some time) and Wasteland backed up by Thalia can be a great path to victory.

I do believe that sdematt recently had a podcast on this topic but I can't remember his thoughts, lol.

I've had my share of games where knocking out a crucial dual kept someone off of 2UU or 1W, but overall that didn't keep the greedy Deathblade manabase from winning 2 SCG's in a row.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

-Matt
    LoL, nah, I'm still pretty set all around, tho if you have any (up to 3) Tarmogoyfs or a Karakas for trades, all my cards are pretty much gathering dust. The most I need to do is keep myself updated on S/B cards, but otherwise I'm solid. I know you have a vast collection, so I'm not sure what I would be capable of trading minus duals or fetches.

Haven't even opened my Factory sealed box of Modern Masters . . .

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    I'm curious...

How crucial is Wasteland anymore?

4 color Deathblade runs an insanely greedy mana base and dominates the format on the back of Deathrite Shaman. Shardless BUG runs 3-4 colors and does great in the format, again on the back . Countertop strategies run and fetch enough basics to invalidate Wastelands. Your abusive combo decks win before the Wasteland matters, although hitting a sole Underground Sea against a one-lander then running out hatebears can be a valid path to victory. Omniscience runs almost solely Islands.

Your traditional decks that attack the mana base - Death and Taxes, Goblins - are okay, but haven't put up results. Neither has Rock, for that matter.

Removing Wasteland(s) gives Knight builds extra utility to run a combination of Tower of the Magistrate, Cabal Pit, Nantuko Monastery, Thespian Stage/Dark Depths. This gives you:

• Anti-Stoneblade
    • Anti-DRS
    • Jace/Batterskull Killer
    • 20/20 EOT Game Ender

Obviously, Loam builds can profit well off of chaining Wastelands (although this is one of the most brutal anti-Graveyard metas in quite some time) and Wasteland backed up by Thalia can be a great path to victory.

I do believe that sdematt recently had a podcast on this topic but I can't remember his thoughts, lol.

I've had my share of games where knocking out a crucial dual kept someone off of 2UU or 1W, but overall that didn't keep the greedy Deathblade manabase from winning 2 SCG's in a row.
    To be fair though, Deathblade has been playing 3 Wastes and been winning with them ;)

Notice how the last 5 Opens I believe at least the winners have had at least 3x Wasteland. It is still a crucial card and drawing 2 in a hand vs a greedy mana base or a shaky non basic keep may just win the game by itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

I think it's *possible* to cut Wasteland if you feel like you have a sufficiently defined meta to do so. I wouldn't recommend it, but it's something you could try.

What I said about Wasteland was that it's very pervasive and keeps the format in check (or at least, it *should*, but Deathrite Shaman is kind of bending those rules and allowing 4C decks to function).

I think that I'm going to stick with some Wastelands for now, but that avenue is one that has rarely been explored so if you'd like to make groundbreaking testing, please give us your results. I'd be interested to see what you find.

In other news, I got to have this wonderful play today against Deathblade:

Their:

Tapped Deathrite Shaman, tapped Wasteland, tapped U. Sea, and Umezawa's Jitte.

My:

Deathrite Shaman, Sylvan Library, Savannah, Bayou.

It rolls over to my turn after tapping out to cast Jitte after a main-phase Brainstorm. I draw with Sylvan Library to see Swords to Plowshares, Wasteland, and Abrupt Decay. I promptly declare "North Korea is best Korea!" and lose 8 life, going to 12. I then Swords DRS, Decay Jitte, and Waste his Sea and proceed to pass. It was glorious!

In the main tournament, I got to Devastating Dreams for 4 against Enchantress and wipe our 4 enchantments as well as 4 lands. Yes!

-Matt

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Anyone else have some news?

-Matt

A hail Wizards for finally printing this in foil:

Jun 2012
    São Paulo, Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by alphacat View Post
    A hail Wizards for finally printing this in foil:

What is it? Judge award?

About the news:
    I gave a break to the gsz version - replaced it with stoneforges again.
    For the time being I'm enjoying it. I'd like to run both gsz and sfm, but the manabase won't allow it since I'm keeping the hymns and lilianas.
    Thus far I've been doing very well but I haven´t played big tournaments yet due to time issues. When I get home next week I'll post an updated list (still 61 cards, back to only 3 bobs). My only doubt is wether to keep library ot top - library is greedier, nicer, top is safer and costs 1 mana, wich is good since I'm overflowing with 2 cmc cards.
    The only complain I have is that bob was safer on the gsz version: altough on both versions I have 8 3 cmc drops, with stoneforge I have batterskull...

Mar 2007
    RI

Quote Originally Posted by Sughayyer View Post
    What is it? Judge award?
    From The Vault: Twenty
    TPDMC

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Quote Originally Posted by Sughayyer
    What is it? Judge award?
    It is in the new From the Vault: 20

Edit Ninja'd

Feb 2010
    innsbruck, austria

i just had an intresting thought

what about yavimaya hollow as a utility land

right now most of the removal in the format allows us to regenerate our creatures (except swords to plowshares, terminus and perish)

we might be able to get lots of value out of that card, what do you guys think?

on that topic i have got a question:

what would happen if my oppenent uses P.Fires on my confidant, and i regenerate him.... would my confidant die if he P.Fires again, or uses abrupt decay after regenerating my Bob?

EDIT: just realized another intresting thing.... once we regenerate a creature it gets tapped, so we could even use this on an opponents creature, effectively tapping it, and then get the damage in on a planeswalker or even in his face to maybe kill him...... could this work?

EDIT again: just realized that for the creature to get tapped it would be necessary to inflict lethal damage or to destroy it right away...... sad, this would have been very funny :P

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Yes it would die. Regenerate only works once. Once the regenerate has been used it is done. Also you can only regenerate a creature once per turn

Edit: you can target a creature as much as you want with a regenerate effect, but it will only work once per turn. May actually work as a psych out. Regenerate bob, in response to him dying target him again and maybe your opponent won't know how it works and he won't try to kill him again
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Seeing my already professed love for utility lands, Yavimaya Hollow certainly looks very interesting since it has the distinct advantage of getting around Abrupt Decay. I imagine it would be a meta option for Knight decks in place of Tower of the Magistrate, where you're infested with BGx decks (BUG and Jund) instead of Stoneblade.

I haven't had much a chance to playtest at all since I haven't had any Legacy coming up, but I have my local monthly this weekend and I should be able to go. If I have time this week I'm going to get Thespian Depths in there and see what changes will be necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Yes it would die. Regenerate only works once. Once the regenerate has been used it is done. Also you can only regenerate a creature once per turn

Edit: you can target a creature as much as you want with a regenerate effect, but it will only work once per turn. May actually work as a psych out. Regenerate bob, in response to him dying target him again and maybe your opponent won't know how it works and he won't try to kill him again

What? If my River Boa is blocked, I can regenerate it. And if you then bolt it, I can still regenerate it. A regeneration "shield" only works for one portion of lethal damage, and you can't stack "shields" on top of one another (so I can't pay GGG to give my Boa three "shields"), but I can keep regenerating for as many times as I can pay the cost.
    "I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each. I do not think they will sing to me." -T.S. Eliot

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer Click here to comment

Thread Information