Page 362 of 389 FirstFirst ... 262312352358359360361362363364365366372 ... LastLast
Results 7,221 to 7,240 of 7773

Thread: [Deck] The Rock

Re: [Deck] The Rock

I'm looking to build a rock deck, this is what I have so far:

4 Drs
    3 crop rotation
    3 gsz
    3 kotr
    4 NO
    2 loam
    1 teeg
    1 progenitus
    1 ruric thar
    1 scavenging ooze
    1 centaur vinecrasher
    1 tireless tracker
    1 qasali pridemage
    1 dueling grounds
    3 abrupt decay
    3 cabal therapy or collective brutality
    2 sylvan library

3 thespian stage
    1 dark depths
    2 cycle lands
    1 ghost quarter
    1 boseiju
    1 maze of ith
    1 bojuka bog
    2 forest
    1 plains
    1 swamp
    4 windswept Heath
    4 verdant catacombs
    1 dryad arbor
    2 Savannah (shock or borrow)
    1 bayou (shock or borrow)

Hey guys, I would like some more deckbuilding advice. First, here's my list for reference.

Lands (21)
    2 Bayou
    1 Forest
    1 Karakas
    2 Marsh Flats
    1 Plains
    1 Savannah
    2 Scrubland
    1 Swamp
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Wasteland
    3 Windswept Heath

Creatures (15)
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Dark Confidant
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Tarmogoyf

Sorcery (10)
    4 Thoughtseize
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    2 Lingering Souls
    1 Toxic Deluge

Instant (7)
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Abrupt Decay

Artifacts (3)
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull

Enchantment (1)
    1 Sylvan Library

Planeswalkers (3)
    3 Liliana of the Veil

Sideboard (15)
    1 Chains of Mephistopheles
    1 Choke
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Garruk Relentless
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Zealous Persecution

After playing a fair amount of matches and getting familiar with the deck, I've noticed that Lingering Souls just breaks matchups against fair decks. I am going to fold to combo so I might as well strengthen my main deck towards the fair matchups. That being said, I only run 2 Lingering Souls and I would like to up the count to 3. What should I cut? Here are my options.

1) Sword of Fire and Ice. I am leaning towards this one since it doesn't cut my creature or removal count. Plus, it's the weakest equipment in the deck and I never tutor for it with Mystics. I would just rather tutor for a Batterskull or Jitte. It's not bad having a 3rd equipment since I did run into a game where I had both equipments already in hand but at that point, I feel like SoF&I is overkill. It also doesn't screw with my curve with Dark Confidant.

2) Dark Confidant. I think cutting bob is wrong, but I feel like I can cut him and go down to 3 to run a card that is literal card advantage. Aka, cutting a creature that nets me card advantage for a card that is literally a 4 for 1.

3) Swords to Plowshares. I run 7 discard spells, 4 Decays, 1 Deluge, 3 Lillys. I don't like cutting another removal spell but maybe it's worth it for a 3rd souls.

So what are people's opinions? Which card should I cut for a 3rd Lingering Souls? Or is 2 fine? Thanks everyone for the help.

So my friend made a suggestion about my previous post. First off, he suggested cutting a Hymn to Tourach since 7 discard spells is a lot.

He also suggested that instead of a 3rd Lingering Souls, I should run 1 Bitterblossom. What are peoples opinions on these changes? I am pretty iffy on this card since Abrupt Decay is a thing. Not to mention, getting the flyers immediately in contrast to waiting over the course of a couple turns + life is a drawback.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Dark Confidant
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Tarmogoyf
    1 Scavenging Ooze

3 Thoughtseize
    2 Cabal Therapy
    3 Hymn to Tourach

3 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Abrupt Decay
    1 Green Sun's Zenith

3 Lingering Souls
    2 Sylvan Library
    2 Painful Truths

1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

2 Scrubland
    3 Bayou
    2 Savannah
    1 Forest
    1 Swamp
    1 Plains
    1 Marsh Flats
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Windswept Heath
    3 Wasteland
    1 Dryad Arbor

Sideboard
    2 Choke
    2 Zealous Persecution
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Bitterblossom
    2 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Sylvan Safekeeper
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Garruk Relentless
    3 Surgical Extraction

This is what I'm running. As always, I find Liliana extremely lackluster most of the time, since ditching cards sucks, but with Lingering Souls, it's obviously breaking parity there. My thought to that are moreso along the lines of "fuck it" and I'm running more card draw, since Liliana doesn't beat Miracles, but drawing more cards certainly can.

I think I'm fine cutting back to two Equipment, but I guess there's always the option of going down a discard slot, perhaps cutting Hymn entirely and just maxing Therapies, then playing another Sword of bringing back the Batterskull. Uncertain, but I can't get in a ton of games to test. Cutting Fire and Ice seems pretty iffy, considering it's the best Sword. If the new black STP gives Shardless a ton of ground, going back to SoLaS/SoFF or just a second Jitte seems good as well, but I'd never cut SoFI.

My two cents. Merry Xmas/Happy New Year/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Dark Confidant
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Tarmogoyf
    1 Scavenging Ooze

3 Thoughtseize
    2 Cabal Therapy
    3 Hymn to Tourach

3 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Abrupt Decay
    1 Green Sun's Zenith

3 Lingering Souls
    2 Sylvan Library
    2 Painful Truths

1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

2 Scrubland
    3 Bayou
    2 Savannah
    1 Forest
    1 Swamp
    1 Plains
    1 Marsh Flats
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Windswept Heath
    3 Wasteland
    1 Dryad Arbor

Sideboard
    2 Choke
    2 Zealous Persecution
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Bitterblossom
    2 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Sylvan Safekeeper
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Garruk Relentless
    3 Surgical Extraction

This is what I'm running. As always, I find Liliana extremely lackluster most of the time, since ditching cards sucks, but with Lingering Souls, it's obviously breaking parity there. My thought to that are moreso along the lines of "fuck it" and I'm running more card draw, since Liliana doesn't beat Miracles, but drawing more cards certainly can.

I think I'm fine cutting back to two Equipment, but I guess there's always the option of going down a discard slot, perhaps cutting Hymn entirely and just maxing Therapies, then playing another Sword of bringing back the Batterskull. Uncertain, but I can't get in a ton of games to test. Cutting Fire and Ice seems pretty iffy, considering it's the best Sword. If the new black STP gives Shardless a ton of ground, going back to SoLaS/SoFF or just a second Jitte seems good as well, but I'd never cut SoFI.

My two cents. Merry Xmas/Happy New Year/etc.
    Thanks for your list and advice.

A) How do you like 3 bobs? Thats the card I am leaning towards cutting atm since I think cutting my 3rd Hymn is wrong.

B) Lillys have been amazing for me. She pressures the opponent so well and you can discard the extra discard spells late game when needed.

C) How do you like not having Batterskull in your list? It wins me so many games that I cant imagine not having one, even if mystic dies.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by KoDiamonds View Post
    Thanks for your list and advice.

A) How do you like 3 bobs? Thats the card I am leaning towards cutting atm since I think cutting my 3rd Hymn is wrong.

B) Lillys have been amazing for me. She pressures the opponent so well and you can discard the extra discard spells late game when needed.

C) How do you like not having Batterskull in your list? It wins me so many games that I cant imagine not having one, even if mystic dies.
    A) I've played 3 Bobs on and off for a while and it's totally fine, especially if you're supplementing with Painful Truths and Sylvans. You want as many Bobs and Sylvans against Miracles as you can, but it's good.

B) Yeah, she's fine, I agree, but Painful has been much better. I like Liliana much more in Jund where you break the parity a lot more.

c) I've played without Batterskull since it was printed. I just don't like Batterskull in non-Brainstorm decks that aren't Vintage Shops.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Anyone still play the rock? Or is it just bad Grixis at this point because no brainstorm?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Anyone still play the rock? Or is it just bad Grixis at this point because no brainstorm?
    The rock is nothing like Grixis?
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

It doesn't lose to Miracles as much...

Fatal Push is what has me off it these days. It's fine, but where I live, not tons of higher end players, so very few top tier legacy lists = more low-end non-blue lists playing new standard cards.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Fatal push seemsmediocre against this deck, especially if you're on the souls plan. Makes your stone forge and her weapons better because less decay possibly. Dunno. Seems not too different to me
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Applies in modern as well where Lingering Souls should trump Fatal Push. I mean it does kill DRS, SFM, Bob, and Goyf but Bolt killed everything but goyf also. Decks aren't going to run more removal spells, but probably supplement their package with Push. No big deal. Doesn't kill more than 1 spirit token so its fine.

So what do people think of Scavenging Ooze as a sideboard card? My anti-graveyard cards are 2 Surgical Extractions and 1 Grafdigger's Cage. I'm seeing a lot of B/R Reanimator a lot online and Scavenging Ooze just seems way too slow. Is there another card that's fast enough against this deck that I can run? Or having a repeatable exile effect like Scooze worth it to have in the board?

Learning Blue cards
    Nov 2012
    Beijing,China

So what do people think of Scavenging Ooze as a sideboard card? My anti-graveyard cards are 2 Surgical Extractions and 1 Grafdigger's Cage. I'm seeing a lot of B/R Reanimator a lot online and Scavenging Ooze just seems way too slow. Is there another card that's fast enough against this deck that I can run? Or having a repeatable exile effect like Scooze worth it to have in the board?
    Leyline of void.
    I hear they got twisters miles wide in the Midwest.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Applies in modern as well where Lingering Souls should trump Fatal Push. I mean it does kill DRS, SFM, Bob, and Goyf but Bolt killed everything but goyf also. Decks aren't going to run more removal spells, but probably supplement their package with Push. No big deal. Doesn't kill more than 1 spirit token so its fine.

Mise a maindeck Ooze. Play 2-3 Surgicals in the side. Feel alive again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokugawa View Post
    Leyline of void.
    Leyline occupies way too many sideboard slots. Unless you are implying I cut Grafdigger's Cage and 2 Surgicals for 3x. But I feel like Surgicals can also be used in other matchups.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Playing this list tomorrow at my monthly because I'm bored of Maverick. Would probably be better off with Goyfs, but fuck it.

4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Birds of Paradise
    4 Thoughtseize
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Sylvan Library
    2 Stone forge Mystic
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Knight of the Reliquary
    3 Painful Truths
    3 Lingering Souls
    3 Siege Rhino
    1 Umezawas Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow

4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills
    2 Savannah
    2 Bayou
    1 Scrybland
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    4 Wasteland
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Karakas
    1 Horizon Canopy

SB:
    1 Duress
    1 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Abrupt Decay
    2 Zealous Persecution
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 Surgical Extraction
    2 Faerie Macabre
    1 Armageddon
    1 Wilt Lief Liege
    1 Dromokas Command
    1 Garruk Relentless

Playing this list tomorrow at my monthly because I'm bored of Maverick. Would probably be better off with Goyfs, but fuck it.

4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Birds of Paradise
    4 Thoughtseize
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Sylvan Library
    2 Stone forge Mystic
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Knight of the Reliquary
    3 Painful Truths
    3 Lingering Souls
    3 Siege Rhino
    1 Umezawas Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow

4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills
    2 Savannah
    2 Bayou
    1 Scrybland
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    4 Wasteland
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Karakas
    1 Horizon Canopy

SB:
    1 Duress
    1 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Abrupt Decay
    2 Zealous Persecution
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 Surgical Extraction
    2 Faerie Macabre
    1 Armageddon
    1 Wilt Lief Liege
    1 Dromokas Command
    1 Garruk Relentless
    How do you like Faerie Macabrre? It seems great against BR reanimator since they run Chancellor of the Annex postboard vs us.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I've been on Macabre since before BR got good. It's only gotten better for me. I'm actually sad now because people actually expect it.

Got top 4 at my monthly. 3-0-double ID onto top 8 then win in top 8 draw in top 4 for beer and BBQ. List was pretty tuned to beat up on fair decks. Beat Maverick, Reid Duke GP deck, Michael Majors BUG deck, double ID, crush Reid Duke GP list again. Paincestral Recall was awesome. Boarded out 4 thought seize every match. Deck felt great. Nice True Name. Here's a Rhino. Fuck you

I've been on Macabre since before BR got good. It's only gotten better for me. I'm actually sad now because people actually expect it.

Got top 4 at my monthly. 3-0-double ID onto top 8 then win in top 8 draw in top 4 for beer and BBQ. List was pretty tuned to beat up on fair decks. Beat Maverick, Reid Duke GP deck, Michael Majors BUG deck, double ID, crush Reid Duke GP list again. Paincestral Recall was awesome. Boarded out 4 thought seize every match. Deck felt great. Nice True Name. Here's a Rhino. Fuck you
    Congrats on your tournament results! I must say, your list has more of a maverick feel to it with Knight of the Reliquarys and Revokers but no Hymns, Lillys, or Bobs. How do you like Painful Truths over something like Dark Confidant?

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Getting the cards all immediately is pretty nice. Plus you don't have to worry about mana costs. I think the only issue I have with my current list is the lack of real threats at two mana. Probably will up the stone forge count. I just like the flexibility that Revoker and knight give me. As for hymn, I just hate top decking discard in the late game. If I were to add hymn it would probably be at the expense of like revokers. Revoker is much better to top deck in the mid to late game

Thread Information