Page 388 of 389 FirstFirst ... 288338378384385386387388389 LastLast
Results 7,741 to 7,760 of 7773

Thread: [Deck] The Rock

Re: [Deck] The Rock

First of all, thanks for the feedback. Also thanks for your explanation about Brutality, you describe exactly how I felt about it when I played it. Imo its just a reasonable SB card but not for the maindeck.

Regarding SFM I know how to play around command with it, but in those scenarios it is just a "2 mana draw a card you`ll almost never play" which makes it similiar to Elvish Visionary and thats not near to playable in our deck. If I wanted equips I would just play 2 copies of Jitte maindeck since the Swords aren`t necassary aside from Miracels and the BSkull isn`t neede when you run Goyfs. Especially when you run more then four virtual copies of it.

Hymn to Tourach is a really huge magic card and in some MUs I miss it but since we cut Lilly Veil we can`t T1 TS -> T2 Hymn -> T3 Lilly Veil into empty hand anymore. Well we could play Lilly Veil for sure but shes just not worth it imo. Also I found Grixis and Miracels being really resilient to Hymn due to Snapcaster and KCommand/Accumulated Knowledge along with all their cantrips. But if you want to play Hymn its still fine I guess, just not as good as it was.

Now to the cards I run. I guess you made a mistake there because I DO run 2 copies of Last Hope and she is a real beast.

Another mistake probably because I didn`t explain enough is about GSZ. I dont run Zenith to get the package. I run Zenith because its acceleration and a 1drop thats still good in the mid- and lategame. The package can easily be trimmed down or completely cut for e.g. Hymn and maybe I will try this again at some point.
    You could easily cut Excavator and put Teeg in the board. Scooze is really really good against Grixis which is why I play a second one in the SB but it is not necassary, just find it better than Hymn. Knight of Autumn is good because of its flexibility but could also be cut if you wanted to. I just love having a creature that trades well with Strix while being lifegain and chumpblocker in aggro MUs. The four life have been relevant a fair amount of times.
    The fact that Zenith is Goyf 5-8 isn`t a reason to run it. But the fact that it is a potential 1drop that turns into a Goyf late in the game is really good.

Maybe Im more on the aggro route with this list and not on the disruptive line that Rock used to be in the past but as far as it works Im fine with that. And again, you can play hymns with some easy changes but I found it to be not that good agaisnt two of the most palyed decks atm so it isnt worth it imo.

Hey everyone, back again with another one of my drafts. My last draft had Green Sun's Zenith in it, to try to minimize the lack of bad topdecks. However, the deck is primarily black based, so tutoring for Dryad Arbor just isn't good color wise. My next draft is starring Mox Diamond. It feels like it synergizes better with Tireless Tracker on top of being able to Hymn on turn 1. Here's the list.

Lands (25)
    3 Bayou
    2 Cabal Pit
    2 Forest
    2 Horizon Canopy
    2 Marsh Flats
    4 Swamp
    2 Treetop Village
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland

Creatures (10)
    3 Dark Confidant
    4 Tarmogoyf
    3 Tireless Tracker

Sorcerys (8)
    3 Thoughtseize
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Maelstrom Pulse

Instants (7)
    3 Fatal Push
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Assassin's Trophy

Planeswalkers (3)
    3 Liliana of the Veil

Artifacts (5)
    4 Mox Diamond
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

Enchantments (2)
    2 Sylvan Library

Sideboard (15)
    1 Bitterblossom
    1 Chains of Mephistopheles
    2 Choke
    1 Golgari Charm
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Hymn to Tourach
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    2 Pithing Needle
    4 Surgical Extraction
    1 Toxic Deluge

I feel like the list could use another Life From the Loam. I'm thinking of either cutting a 4th Mox Diamond, a 3rd Fatal Push, a Jitte, or a Pulse. What do people think?

I tried to minimize the amount of dead draws so I jammed an extra Cabal Pit and Horizon Canopy (which makes me definitely want a 2nd Loam). The sideboard is also a mess so I would love input in that as well. It probably needs some Damping Sphere for Storm?

Thanks!

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I think with Diamond/extra lands you can start adding some cards at the upper end of the curve (not too many, still have Confidant in the list.) I'm thinking PW's like Garruk Relentless and Nissa, Vital Force. I wouldn't play more than 2 cards at 4-5 mana, but against the grindy control decks playing something big like that is really, really good. I think Lili-Last-Hope is a maindeckable card as well. Diabolic Edict seems like an omission, I'd probably jam 1-2 copies in your board. Without white you're less equipped to deal with Depths/Lands, StP is one of the best cards against them. Lili-Veil is good but Depths players can play around it pretty easily.

I'm loving the Jitte maindeck, I was going to suggest it. I think Ramanup Excavator, even without GSZ, would be very good here, especially considering you are light on threats. It's an option to get your 'Loam' effect count higher without going all-in on Loam and pressures opponents' life total while you grind them out. You could also play 1-2 GSZ as a value card rather than an engine card (Trackers 4+, a couple singleton silver bullets like Excavator, Scooze, maybe an Eternal Witness.) Speaking of Scooze...very surprised it isn't in here in some number, at least in the sideboard.

Crop Rotation seems like a pretty cool card to synergize with the utility lands. It isn't as powerful when it isn't getting Dark Depths, but it can still be very good. Tutoring for Horizon Canopy/Wasteland/Cabal Pit with Loam seems like a very good play. You could sideboard the Depths/Stage combo or just leave it out. I was playing Crop Rotation in Nic-Fit without Depths to find Phyrexian Tower/Ghost Quarter/Bojuka Bog/Karakas and it was great. It starts to get you closer to Aggro Loam minus the Knights, but that's ok. Your mana will be much more stable so it could be a fair tradeoff. Tracker is awesome at providing value, similar to knight if a little less powerful overall.

Keep fighting the good fight!
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Agree with Ramunap. Being a 2/3 is so huge against lands to dodge PFire and your own recurring wastelands while you get to cast other spells is super good against them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I think with Diamond/extra lands you can start adding some cards at the upper end of the curve (not too many, still have Confidant in the list.) I'm thinking PW's like Garruk Relentless and Nissa, Vital Force. I wouldn't play more than 2 cards at 4-5 mana, but against the grindy control decks playing something big like that is really, really good. I think Lili-Last-Hope is a maindeckable card as well. Diabolic Edict seems like an omission, I'd probably jam 1-2 copies in your board. Without white you're less equipped to deal with Depths/Lands, StP is one of the best cards against them. Lili-Veil is good but Depths players can play around it pretty easily.

I'm loving the Jitte maindeck, I was going to suggest it. I think Ramanup Excavator, even without GSZ, would be very good here, especially considering you are light on threats. It's an option to get your 'Loam' effect count higher without going all-in on Loam and pressures opponents' life total while you grind them out. You could also play 1-2 GSZ as a value card rather than an engine card (Trackers 4+, a couple singleton silver bullets like Excavator, Scooze, maybe an Eternal Witness.) Speaking of Scooze...very surprised it isn't in here in some number, at least in the sideboard.

Crop Rotation seems like a pretty cool card to synergize with the utility lands. It isn't as powerful when it isn't getting Dark Depths, but it can still be very good. Tutoring for Horizon Canopy/Wasteland/Cabal Pit with Loam seems like a very good play. You could sideboard the Depths/Stage combo or just leave it out. I was playing Crop Rotation in Nic-Fit without Depths to find Phyrexian Tower/Ghost Quarter/Bojuka Bog/Karakas and it was great. It starts to get you closer to Aggro Loam minus the Knights, but that's ok. Your mana will be much more stable so it could be a fair tradeoff. Tracker is awesome at providing value, similar to knight if a little less powerful overall.

Keep fighting the good fight!
    Thanks for your input as always! I am not really comfortable adding expensive bombs in the main since lands will be discarded and we have Liliana of the Veil to pressure. I definitely like a planeswalker in the board though.

I really like your suggestion of Ramunap Excavator (thanks Megadeus for providing your feedback as well!) He seems better than the 2nd Loam and like you pointed out, can attack. I also like Green Sun's Zenith now that I think about it.

Im not sure if Crop Rotation can fit with Mox Diamond. We are already negative in card advantage in that department and we arent tutoring up anything thats game winning. Its more for value, which Crop Rotation isnt good at.

So for changes, it would be

-1 Forest
    -1 Maelstrom Pulse
    -1 Tireless Tracker
    -1 Sylvan Library
    -1 Umezawa's Jitte
    +1 Dryad Arbor
    +1 Ramunap Excavator
    +2 Green Suns Zenith
    +1 Scavenging Ooze

Lands (25)
    3 Bayou
    2 Cabal Pit
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Forest
    2 Horizon Canopy
    2 Marsh Flats
    4 Swamp
    2 Treetop Village
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland

Creatures (11)
    3 Dark Confidant
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    4 Tarmogoyf
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    2 Tireless Tracker

Sorcerys (9)
    2 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Thoughtseize
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    1 Life from the Loam

Instants (7)
    3 Fatal Push
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Assassin's Trophy

Planeswalkers (3)
    3 Liliana of the Veil

Artifacts (4)
    4 Mox Diamond

Enchantments (1)
    1 Sylvan Library

Sideboard (15)
    1 Choke
    1 Diabolic Edict
    1 Garruk Relentless
    1 Golgari Charm
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Hymn to Tourach
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    2 Pithing Needle
    4 Surgical Extraction
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

I also moved the sideboard around a bit. Had to move Jitte to the side since I have no idea what I can cut for it (maybe a Fatal Push or Abrupt Decay?) I also hate cutting the 2nd library but I really am having trouble fitting everything in.

Any other thoughts? Also, is the ratio of 25 lands + 4 mox diamond correct? Thanks!

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Crop Rotation is definitely game-winning against certain decks. Crop Rotation into Bojuka Bog is incredible against Dredge and Reanimator, CR into Karakas is amazing against Reanimator and Sneak/Show. It doesn't necessarily fit your deck plan (it takes up at least 4 slots = 2 CR + 2 Utility Lands) but I have had great success with Crop Rotation. One-mana instant speed tutors, even for just a land, are very good.

Good luck with testing, I'm always paying attention to see if there's a configuration for Rock to be playable again.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

So I played a couple matches online coupled with a league (I really wish they had friendly leagues on MTGO, just to test out the kinks).

In terms of single matches
    Beat Merfolk
    Beat Turbo Depths
    Beat Delver
    Lost to Storm
    Beat Storm
    Lost to Elves
    Beat Reanimator

Felt good going into my league, but didnt go so well.
    1-2 D&T. Game was super close but Cataclysm is backbreaking both postboard games.
    2-0 Burn. GSZ for scooze is good
    0-2 Affinity. Didnt play optimally game 1 and completely punted game 2 (miscalculated ravager math)
    1-2 Turbo Depths. Punted game 1 completely. Felt really bad.
    0-2 Storm.

Makes me want to try Chalice of the Void over the 3 Thoughtseize. I can cut a Push and add an extra Decay/Trophy. What do people think?

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by KoDiamonds View Post
    So I played a couple matches online coupled with a league (I really wish they had friendly leagues on MTGO, just to test out the kinks).

In terms of single matches
    Beat Merfolk
    Beat Turbo Depths
    Beat Delver
    Lost to Storm
    Beat Storm
    Lost to Elves
    Beat Reanimator

Felt good going into my league, but didnt go so well.
    1-2 D&T. Game was super close but Cataclysm is backbreaking both postboard games.
    2-0 Burn. GSZ for scooze is good
    0-2 Affinity. Didnt play optimally game 1 and completely punted game 2 (miscalculated ravager math)
    1-2 Turbo Depths. Punted game 1 completely. Felt really bad.
    0-2 Storm.

Makes me want to try Chalice of the Void over the 3 Thoughtseize. I can cut a Push and add an extra Decay/Trophy. What do people think?
    Chalice fights with Hymn to Tourach a little; you may Chalice them off 1 drops but then Hymn is really not that useful. They will end up discarding some number of useless cards left in hand, so Hymn isn't really doing much. I would probably switch over to Collective Brutality over Hymn with Chalice main. It's likely the best 2 mana targeted discard spell. White has been historically very good against Storm because of Canonist, and more recently Kambal.
    My approach against Storm has always been to play a minimum of 5 discard main alongside the Hymns. Sideboard brought in Canonist.

How is your curve playing out? Are you doing meaningful things every turn or are you waiting for the right opportunities to play your cards out/waiting for mana? Mox naturally pushes you to 3 drops sooner but I've always been of the mindset to make sure I can still curve out, regardless of acceleration. Being able to curve out without Mox Diamond is important. When DRS was in the format I always wanted either DRS or discard t1, Hymn or Library t2, and t3+ I wanted to have removal or threats. Those were my ideal games, the ones I noticed I was winning. I think Wasteland is putting a little bit of a kink in all of this as well. If you have an efficient 1-2 mana curve you can pop off Wastelands at any time turns 2-on, but when you are gearing so hard for the mid-game there may be missed opportunities to utilize Wasteland. A 2nd targeted discard alongside Wasteland t2 can be devastating. Again, this is in light of not having Mox available t1, which can obviously let you Wasteland and Thoughtseize t1 (on the draw.)

I think there are better Chalice decks, I would sideboard it at the most. It fights pretty hard with Hymn to Tourach, attacking completely different axes (one doesn't care how many cards are in hand because a lot of them are dead, the other wants to strip the hand as a 2-for-1) I would also re-evaluate the curve to make sure there are consistent combinations of plays turns 1-3 that deal with what's beating you. The further you go down the GSZ path, the more grindy of a deck you have that cuts early disruption for a more powerful mid-game. The more discard/efficient curve you have the more tempo oriented you become with a traditional Rock plan. Both have upsides and downsides.

I think another option, and call me crazy if this is just nuts, is Trinisphere Once you have three mana you should be all set, you can curve discard into Library/Scooze/Goyf/Hymn or land a devastating turn three 3Ball. It's almost one-sided, really. You don't mind 3-mana Hymns and your most powerful mid-game plays are 3 or more mana anyways (Tracker, GSZ, Liliana.) Adding one mana to your cards isn't a big deal, Hym and Trophy for 3 mana are fine. Cutting opponent's off cantrips and spanking Storm seems like a fair tradeoff to me. Hymn works with Trinisphere better, too. It can take lands to prevent their answers to Trinisphere. EDIT: This is going way too deep, but Sinkhole then becomes pretty spicy. Mox Diamond into Sinkhole/Wasteland/3Ball. Evil...
    Brainstorm Realist

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I think another option, and call me crazy if this is just nuts, is Trinisphere Once you have three mana you should be all set, you can curve discard into Library/Scooze/Goyf/Hymn or land a devastating turn three 3Ball. It's almost one-sided, really. You don't mind 3-mana Hymns and your most powerful mid-game plays are 3 or more mana anyways (Tracker, GSZ, Liliana.) Adding one mana to your cards isn't a big deal, Hym and Trophy for 3 mana are fine. Cutting opponent's off cantrips and spanking Storm seems like a fair tradeoff to me. Hymn works with Trinisphere better, too. It can take lands to prevent their answers to Trinisphere. EDIT: This is going way too deep, but Sinkhole then becomes pretty spicy. Mox Diamond into Sinkhole/Wasteland/3Ball. Evil...
    You're crazy. Oh wait, Lejay went 5-0 with this:

Creatures [9]
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    2 Dryad Arbor
    2 Knight of Autumn
    4 Knight of the Reliquary

Instants [3]
    3 Abrupt Decay

Sorceries [4]
    4 Green Sun's Zenith

Enchantments [9]
    1 Armadillo Cloak
    2 Courser of Kruphix
    2 Engineered Plague
    4 Sylvan Library

Artifacts [11]
    3 Trinisphere
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Mox Diamond

Lands [24]
    1 Bayou
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Cabal Pit
    1 Karakas
    1 Snow-Covered Plains
    1 Snow-Covered Swamp
    1 Tower of the Magistrate
    2 Ghost Quarter
    2 Maze of Ith
    2 Savannah
    2 Snow-Covered Forest
    2 Wasteland
    3 Windswept Heath
    4 Verdant Catacombs

Sometimes I joke that Lejay could do well with a ham sandwich...but sometimes I think that isn't a joke...
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

The chalice + trinisphere shell is just very good right now. Plug has probably been pretty criminally underplayed for some time, it's the only chalice/trinisphere deck that gets to play mox diamond, sylvan library, gsz and ancient tomb.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Chalice fights with Hymn to Tourach a little; you may Chalice them off 1 drops but then Hymn is really not that useful. They will end up discarding some number of useless cards left in hand, so Hymn isn't really doing much. I would probably switch over to Collective Brutality over Hymn with Chalice main. It's likely the best 2 mana targeted discard spell. White has been historically very good against Storm because of Canonist, and more recently Kambal.
    My approach against Storm has always been to play a minimum of 5 discard main alongside the Hymns. Sideboard brought in Canonist.

How is your curve playing out? Are you doing meaningful things every turn or are you waiting for the right opportunities to play your cards out/waiting for mana? Mox naturally pushes you to 3 drops sooner but I've always been of the mindset to make sure I can still curve out, regardless of acceleration. Being able to curve out without Mox Diamond is important. When DRS was in the format I always wanted either DRS or discard t1, Hymn or Library t2, and t3+ I wanted to have removal or threats. Those were my ideal games, the ones I noticed I was winning. I think Wasteland is putting a little bit of a kink in all of this as well. If you have an efficient 1-2 mana curve you can pop off Wastelands at any time turns 2-on, but when you are gearing so hard for the mid-game there may be missed opportunities to utilize Wasteland. A 2nd targeted discard alongside Wasteland t2 can be devastating. Again, this is in light of not having Mox available t1, which can obviously let you Wasteland and Thoughtseize t1 (on the draw.)

I think there are better Chalice decks, I would sideboard it at the most. It fights pretty hard with Hymn to Tourach, attacking completely different axes (one doesn't care how many cards are in hand because a lot of them are dead, the other wants to strip the hand as a 2-for-1) I would also re-evaluate the curve to make sure there are consistent combinations of plays turns 1-3 that deal with what's beating you. The further you go down the GSZ path, the more grindy of a deck you have that cuts early disruption for a more powerful mid-game. The more discard/efficient curve you have the more tempo oriented you become with a traditional Rock plan. Both have upsides and downsides.

Your input is always the best. I was scared of the subtle nombo with Hymn as well so tried some matches having Brutality instead. I feel like this version took 2 steps back as when you dont have a Mox Diamond in an opening hand, the deck felt super clunky. The deck loses its early game action. Also, Chalice nombos with Liliana the same way as Hymn. Losing Thoughtseize, Hymn, AND Liliana would defeat the purpose of the deck.

Meanwhile, I tried the Depths list that 5-0d with Lilianas and Loams. I just dont like the Depths style. However, I did take some things from the deck.

I am going back to the Mox Diamond + GSZ list with no Chalices and want input on the following changes.

A) I think the deck needs 2 Loams. Being able to consistently recur Wastelands is huge for the deck.
    B) I think I need to add an Urborg to the list. I feel like this will smooth out the mana a bit and will let me hold off on cracking fetches until a Tracker is in play.
    C) What are peoples thoughts on Barren Moor and Tranquil Thicket over Horizon Canopy? I like how the cyclers didnt "waste" land drops unlike Horizon Canopy. I could Wasteland AND cycle in the same turn.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Your input is always the best. I was scared of the subtle nombo with Hymn as well so tried some matches having Brutality instead. I feel like this version took 2 steps back as when you dont have a Mox Diamond in an opening hand, the deck felt super clunky. The deck loses its early game action. Also, Chalice nombos with Liliana the same way as Hymn. Losing Thoughtseize, Hymn, AND Liliana would defeat the purpose of the deck.

Meanwhile, I tried the Depths list that 5-0d with Lilianas and Loams. I just dont like the Depths style. However, I did take some things from the deck.

I am going back to the Mox Diamond + GSZ list with no Chalices and want input on the following changes.

A) I think the deck needs 2 Loams. Being able to consistently recur Wastelands is huge for the deck.
    B) I think I need to add an Urborg to the list. I feel like this will smooth out the mana a bit and will let me hold off on cracking fetches until a Tracker is in play.
    C) What are peoples thoughts on Barren Moor and Tranquil Thicket over Horizon Canopy? I like how the cyclers didnt "waste" land drops unlike Horizon Canopy. I could Wasteland AND cycle in the same turn.
    The cycling lands look like they'd be a lot better in your list, especially since you aren't playing any knights or splashing for any hatebears.

Your posting on GB rock reminded me that we have talked about that exact archetype a while back (during the top miracles era). Not sure but there might be some decent discussion about the archetype near there. I ended up trying the list below and took it to a couple of locals and a pretty casual tournament. The matchups where I had the most problems were D&T (crusader) and Combo decks (it just never felt like I had enough interaction).

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    I'm very open to that idea, what would you cut for the 3rd loam? I'm thinking the 2nd eternal witness or the singleton crop rotation. There is a tournament for a dual nearby this weekend, I think i'm going to make some minor modifications based on your suggestions and my experience and see how that goes. Changes are: -1 Crop Rotation, -1 Eternal Witness, +1 Life from the Loam, +1 Bayou main. -1 Choke, -1 Leyline of the Void, -1 Ghost Quarter, +3 Hymn to Tourach side.

1 Cabal Pit
    1 Karakas
    4 Wasteland
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Misty Rainforest
    3 Bayou
    1 Treetop Village
    2 Forest
    2 Swamp
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Barren Moor
    1 Tranquil Thicket

4 Mox Diamond

1 Sylvan Library

3 Liliana of the Veil

4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Dark Confidant
    1 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Eternal Witness
    2 Tireless Tracker

4 Abrupt Decay
    3 Fatal Push
    3 Life from the Loam
    2 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Thoughtseize

Sideboard:
    1 Choke
    1 Garruk Relentless
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    2 Toxic Deluge
    1 Golgari Charm
    1 Crop Rotation
    2 Diabolic Edict
    1 Reclamation Sage
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    2 Leyline of the Void
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

That's a really cool looking list, I love the EWitness. I think 4x Abrupt Decay is outdated (as CaptHaddock says) and should free up some slots for additional discard, probably Hymns maindeck. I would go -2 AD, -1 DRS (obviously) + 3 Hymn to Tourach maindeck. That frees up 3 sideboard slots for Trinisphere, if you decide to try that out. I also feel this is a good time to try 1x Excavator, cutting one of the Loams. It's worse with the cycle lands but doubles as a threat. I know that Trinisphere makes your Loams coast 3, but I think it would feel pretty good to keep your opponent off 3 mana. I might have to pick up some 3Balls myself to try it alongside Sinkhole.
    Brainstorm Realist

Has anyone been playing Abzan in the current meta? I have touched Legacy in months and am going to brainstorm a list together. So far, Ive heard theres a lot of 4 color W6 online so maybe we can build to beat that. This probably means we cant run Bobs anymore, but Stoneforge still seems decent as well as Lingering Souls? .

I definitely want 6 one-cmc discard spells with Hymns. Anyone have any suggestions on how I should build it for the current meta before I submit a rough draft list? Thanks!

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I was playing Bobs in Turbo Depths but recently dropped them for Elvish Reclaimers, which could be a good avenue for the Rock. Elvish Reclaimer and Plague Engineer seem to be very good options for the deck to provide extra value. I'm curious how Force of Vigor could shore up matchups like Moon Stompy, too.
    Brainstorm Realist

(V) (;,,;) (V)
    Jul 2008
    Minneapolis, MN

Has anyone been playing Abzan in the current meta? I have touched Legacy in months and am going to brainstorm a list together. So far, Ive heard theres a lot of 4 color W6 online so maybe we can build to beat that. This probably means we cant run Bobs anymore, but Stoneforge still seems decent as well as Lingering Souls? .

I definitely want 6 one-cmc discard spells with Hymns. Anyone have any suggestions on how I should build it for the current meta before I submit a rough draft list? Thanks!
    I haven't tinkered with a list (let alone played) since mid July. I was splitting between two different options (both using Judge's Familiar): SFM package or GSZ (which I notice now I forgot to add while brainstorming). I don't think either will fit your requirements (or are very good for that matter) but you're welcome to use them for ideas. Hope they help.

Option A -- Option B
    It's the same google doc so I hope the links actually bring you to the correct tab (fyi - tabs are located at the bottom and sorted by date - Newest First - back to 2012. Message me if you want further... that's a different sheet.).

For what it's worth, I wish you the best. I think that the lack of card control in our builds has been our biggest obstacle since top's banning. Bob is decent but fragile and gunned down on sight. Library is clunky and forces us to have foresight vs the ability to react (could have always been Mirri's Guile if we're honest with ourselves). In that filtering/drawing department we don't have many options that are able to pull even their own weight consistently and that's our biggest handicap. If you can fix your draw (or at least make them more consistent) you'll be good. Otherwise, it may not be worth it outside of sentimental reasons... and that hurts ME to say.
    Tinkering with some crafting theory. Here

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by damionblackgear View Post
    I haven't tinkered with a list (let alone played) since mid July. I was splitting between two different options (both using Judge's Familiar): SFM package or GSZ (which I notice now I forgot to add while brainstorming). I don't think either will fit your requirements (or are very good for that matter) but you're welcome to use them for ideas. Hope they help.

Option A -- Option B
    It's the same google doc so I hope the links actually bring you to the correct tab (fyi - tabs are located at the bottom and sorted by date - Newest First - back to 2012. Message me if you want further... that's a different sheet.).

For what it's worth, I wish you the best. I think that the lack of card control in our builds has been our biggest obstacle since top's banning. Bob is decent but fragile and gunned down on sight. Library is clunky and forces us to have foresight vs the ability to react (could have always been Mirri's Guile if we're honest with ourselves). In that filtering/drawing department we don't have many options that are able to pull even their own weight consistently and that's our biggest handicap. If you can fix your draw (or at least make them more consistent) you'll be good. Otherwise, it may not be worth it outside of sentimental reasons... and that hurts ME to say.
    I tend to agree. Nic Fit is a better control deck with a more powerful top end and Turbo Depths is better as an 'aggressive' BG deck. Maverick, however, has been doing fairly well lately, many lists being Abzan colored. I think the GSZ engine is necessary to make rock work at this point in history. I'll try and link some Dark Maverick lists for you to scope out.

https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=22364&d=351793&f=LE

https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=22534&d=353474&f=LE

EDIT: I love the Hidden Stockpiles in Option B! I think that card, alongside Lingering Souls/Cabal Therapy/SFM package could be very good. I was even thinking Cabal Therapist could be good in that shell. I tried pretty hard to make a Deadguy deck that way, but green offers Decay, Library, GSZ, and other powerful options.

If you take nothing else away from my posts, try out Elvish Reclaimer. The card is gas. Above a few posts we were talking Mox Diamond and Crop Rotation; Reclaimer and Diamonds seems really, really good.
    Brainstorm Realist

So I've been brainstorming some thoughts, but here are three lists. (First off, apologies for the bad formatting, I am just exporting from MTGO)

The first list is kind of a more "stockish/standard" list.
    3 Dark Confidant
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Tarmogoyf
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Assassin's Trophy
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Lingering Souls
    2 Hymn to Tourach
    1 Nurturing Peatland
    4 Thoughtseize
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Forest
    1 Plains
    2 Scrubland
    2 Swamp
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Bayou
    3 Marsh Flats
    2 Windswept Heath
    3 Wasteland
    1 Savannah
    1 Silent Clearing

2 Plague Engineer
    2 Containment Priest
    3 Surgical Extraction
    1 Nihil Spellbomb
    1 Hymn to Tourach
    1 Collector Ouphe
    1 Choke
    1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 Bitterblossom

It's similar to lists that I have 5-0d with in the past. I am not sure if the power level of the deck is there and I am considering adding a Green Sun's Zenith package, which would lead to this list

3 Dark Confidant
    3 Tarmogoyf
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Assassin's Trophy
    4 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Lingering Souls
    1 Nurturing Peatland
    4 Thoughtseize
    2 Sylvan Library
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Tireless Tracker
    1 Forest
    1 Plains
    2 Scrubland
    2 Swamp
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Bayou
    3 Marsh Flats
    2 Windswept Heath
    3 Wasteland
    1 Savannah
    3 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Dryad Arbor
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

2 Plague Engineer
    2 Containment Priest
    3 Surgical Extraction
    1 Nihil Spellbomb
    1 Collector Ouphe
    1 Choke
    1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    1 Bitterblossom
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Hymn to Tourach

We could also consider cutting Stoneforge Mystic. She's kind of clunky and I'm not sure if she is where we want to be in the current meta.

This next list is cutting Stoneforge completely, which makes room for main deck Hymns, Ramunap Excavator, etc.

3 Dark Confidant
    3 Tarmogoyf
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Assassin's Trophy
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Lingering Souls
    1 Nurturing Peatland
    4 Thoughtseize
    2 Sylvan Library
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    1 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Forest
    1 Plains
    2 Scrubland
    2 Swamp
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Bayou
    3 Marsh Flats
    2 Windswept Heath
    3 Wasteland
    1 Savannah
    3 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Tireless Tracker
    1 Dryad Arbor
    2 Hymn to Tourach

2 Plague Engineer
    2 Containment Priest
    3 Surgical Extraction
    1 Nihil Spellbomb
    1 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 Collector Ouphe
    1 Choke
    1 Bitterblossom
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Garruk Relentless

I think I prefer the 3rd list and my only reservations about it is how top heavy the 3rd drop slot is. I could cut a 3 drop (maybe a Liliana) for a 24th land. I'd love to hear some input!

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Two cards that I think should be on your test list are Elvish Reclaimer and Tidehollow Sculler. Both offer more options early in the curve and provide ancillary value (Reclaimer feeds you utility lands/Wastelands, Sculler is tempo positive and is an artifact to feed Tarmogoyfs.)

I'm not sure how good Dark Confidant is with wren being so prevalent, but I don't think it's bad if you have enough threats to distract from him. Your disruption package should deal with Wren just fine (Decay/Trophy/discard,)
    Brainstorm Realist

Well even if SFM is clunky atm I liked it more in my testings than Confidant since it doesnt die to W6 AND its much better against all those delver decks hanging around. Unfortunately the metagame isnt really great for Confi imo
    Also Im not sure about lingering souls with all those Plague Engineers. I tried to rather go the Maverick route and play KotR with the DD/Stage package plus KARAKAS! and it has been amazing so far. Only sad part is this doesnt really feel like classic Rock anymore

Thread Information