Page 337 of 389 FirstFirst ... 237287327333334335336337338339340341347387 ... LastLast
Results 6,721 to 6,740 of 7773

Thread: [Deck] The Rock

Re: [Deck] The Rock

I'm not sure a kitchen finks or a baloth somewhere in your 75 quite illiviates the matchup to be worth it.

And no, in my experience playing legacy here for a year and half, I would say burn is no more popular than anywhere else.

Jul 2013
    Texas

Learning Blue cards
    Nov 2012
    Beijing,China

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    The name! “Abzan deathblade”, oh no...

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...l=1#post876266
    I hear they got twisters miles wide in the Midwest.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Maharis, was that you?

-Matt

Jul 2013
    Texas

Unfortunately no, just nice to see the deck!

Quote Originally Posted by BTY View Post
    Huh? The link goes to Wilkin's deck at Syracuse. 2nd at Providence was 'Temur Delver'

Deck
    1st Omni-Tell Adam Brennan
    2nd Temur Delver Tanner Parente
    3rd Miracles Christopher Stitson
    4th Sneak & Show Jason Grigely
    5th 12-Post Aaron Gazzaniga
    6th Omni-Tell Daniel Hall
    7th Death & Taxes Jake Bartlett
    8th Omni-Tell Cory Abrams

Here's the link for Providence: http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckd...ion=Show+Decks

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

He is commenting on the correct list but wrong event. That list is more Deadguy Ale, but still worth seeing that the same shells - deathrite, decay, sfm - are doing good work.

Notice how Omni put up a ton of results lately. Go go gadget Discard, Teeg, Grip, Surgical, Canonist, Display of Dominance, etc. Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by I_Hate_Counterspells View Post
    Huh? The link goes to Wilkin's deck at Syracuse. 2nd at Providence was 'Temur Delver'

Deck
    1st Omni-Tell Adam Brennan
    2nd Temur Delver Tanner Parente
    3rd Miracles Christopher Stitson
    4th Sneak & Show Jason Grigely
    5th 12-Post Aaron Gazzaniga
    6th Omni-Tell Daniel Hall
    7th Death & Taxes Jake Bartlett
    8th Omni-Tell Cory Abrams

Here's the link for Providence: http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckd...ion=Show+Decks
    Ya sorry, that was my bad, SCG didn't have the providence lists up this morning and I wasn't reading.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

It's all good.

We obviously know that the core is viable, it's just about tweaking numbers and some selections (Liliana yay or nay, GSZ yay or nay, Souls, etc.).

With an increase in Miracles, it's possible Display of Dominance may deserve a piece of the pie :P

Since I'd rather not study the kidney, let's talk about the 13th place list:

4 Dark Confidant
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Tarmogoyf
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll

Planeswalkers (2)

2 Liliana of the Veil

Lands (22)

1 Forest
    1 Plains
    2 Swamp
    2 Bayou
    3 Marsh Flats
    1 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    3 Windswept Heath

Spells (20)

1 Batterskull
    2 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Thoughtseize
    1 Vindicate

Sideboard
    1 Crucible Of Worlds
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Choke
    1 Pernicious Deed
    1 Rule of Law
    1 Warmth
    1 Wheel of Sun and Moon
    1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Disfigure
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Liliana of the Veil
    2 Duress
    1 Vindicate

I mean this in the nicest possible way, this person either lurks or posts here. That manabase is straight mine except for the 4th Wasteland over the Arbor and some small changes. Top is being played over Sylvan, and this build is running Hymn. I think we can agree this is the stacked aggro Junk variety, basically playing less manipulation and more like the true Mox Diamond Junk lists we saw around 2010/2011. Just play max good things and win. Council's might be better over Vindicate, but who knows if that's card availability or the thinking that double white is rough on the manabase (which it is). Hymn means you might also Sinkhole them, so pressuring the manabase more isn't necessarily a bad idea.

The sideboard is obviously a fucking mess of an E. Tutor board. I think I've made myself clear I'm not a fan of them anymore. I just prefer lots of high impact cards with multiple copies. I'm a big fan of even if things get countered that I'm not totally hooped.

Cage, Needle, Choke, and Deed all make perfect sense since we do generally see them as 2-3 of's in other sideboard. Crucible is suspect - what matchup are we bringing Crucible in? Are we trying to Wastelock someone? If that's the case, why are we not running Knights? Are we trying to grind other midrange matchups? If so, why not run Loam and Dredge to feed Deathrite and not die to Abrupt Decay?

I'm curious why Rule of Law isn't Canonist. Of course, the effects aren't 100% the same, but the manacost is relevant in those matchups. Warmth is great, but why this over COP Red? I mean, one comes in Summer, and one comes in Korean. As well, one prevents and one gains life, meaning one is shut off by Vortex.

Lastly, Wheel is interesting Dredge/Painter hate - why not just play Grip or something? Or another Needle?

The extra removal in the board seems interesting. There's another Decay, Disfigure, Vindicate, and Liliana - seems like a lot when the main point of your deck is to do all of these things anyway. Where's the Elves hate? How are you not losing to Pyromancer? I'm not opposed to more Jace answers, don't get me wrong. I'm just wondering if you would want to pack removal maindeck.

As well, this seems weak to OmniTell. I guess you hope they don't have Leyline because your only answers are discard based? Brainstorm's a card, so I think having permanent based hate in conjunction with discard is where you'd want to be.

If I were to play this style:

4 Dark Confidant
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Tarmogoyf
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    1 Scavenging Ooze

Lands (22)

1 Forest
    1 Plains
    2 Swamp
    2 Bayou
    3 Marsh Flats
    1 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    3 Windswept Heath

Spells (23)

1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    1 Sensei's Divining Top
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    4 Abrupt Decay
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Thoughtseize
    2 Vindicate

Sideboard
    2 Zealous Persecution
    3 Gaddock Teeg
    3 Pithing Needle
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Containment Priest
    1 Display of Dominance
    2 Duress

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Firstly, I'm still on this deck because I love it. My deck is similar to the one above mentioned with slight changes. Secondly, I'm friends with both Christopher Stitson (3rd place playing miracles) and Cory Abrams (8th place with Omni-Tell.) Good old boys from Maine gettin' the job done.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Apr 2014
    Southern California

There is a 1k legacy tournament this weekend and I plan on playing Junk Blade. I wrote up the following list and plan on playing in a local weekly tournament tonight to get in some games and do any tweaking. I expect a lot of Burn, Miracles and Show and Tell Decks. There is also a large amount of Shardless, Patriot/Grixis Delver in my Meta.

1 Scrubland
    4 Wasteland
    3 Marsh Flats
    2 Windswept Heath
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Karakas
    2 Swamp
    1 Plains
    1 Forest
    2 Bayou
    1 Savannah

3 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Dark Confidant
    3 Tarmogoyf
    3 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll

4 Abrupt Decay
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Thoughtseize
    1 Vindicate
    2 Hymn to Tourach
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull

SIDEBOARD
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Hymn to Tourach
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Choke
    2 Toxic Deluge
    1 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Circle of Protection: Red
    2 Containment Priest

Aug 2014
    Central New York

I'll just toss this idea out for everyone to think about. After thinking about Eli's UWR creation, Myth Realized may be interesting in a tweaked Junk list. You could run a larger spell package while keeping your threat count up. Discard and the vast amounts of removal all "grow" Myth. Dark confidant plays nice with it as well. The main question I have is whether Junk colors more or less 'work' to make Myth legacy playable akin to cantrips in the UWR shell. Your creature package could be 4 DRS, 4 Confidant, 4-6 flex, 3-4 Myth. Given how players currently assemble junk, you're looking at a card that plays well with Lingering, Liliana, removal, discard, and equipment. The downside is how shitty this card is as a topdeck/late drop. You need to play Myth and another spell to make it a 1/1 (or 5 mana to play it, pump once, and allow animation). Not sure how prohibitive/pipe-dreamy we're talking. Upside is a quick beater that gets better without you necessarily overextending.

This is a very rough idea but something I felt worthy of sharing. I'm still mulling over the Collective Company card as well.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

It's an interesting thought. Does it replace, say, SFM? That clears up slots, for sure.

Creatures (13)

4 Dark Confidant
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Tarmogoyf
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    1 Scavenging Ooze

Lands (22)

1 Forest
    1 Plains
    2 Swamp
    2 Bayou
    3 Marsh Flats
    1 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    3 Windswept Heath

Spells (26)

1 Sensei's Divining Top
    2 Sylvan Library
    4 Myth Realized
    4 Abrupt Decay
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Lingering Souls/Dredge Spell? More hand disruption?
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Thoughtseize
    2 Vindicate

Learning Blue cards
    Nov 2012
    Beijing,China

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post

The sideboard is obviously a fucking mess of an E. Tutor board. I think I've made myself clear I'm not a fan of them anymore. I just prefer lots of high impact cards with multiple copies. I'm a big fan of even if things get countered that I'm not totally hooped.

Cage, Needle, Choke, and Deed all make perfect sense since we do generally see them as 2-3 of's in other sideboard. Crucible is suspect - what matchup are we bringing Crucible in? Are we trying to Wastelock someone? If that's the case, why are we not running Knights? Are we trying to grind other midrange matchups? If so, why not run Loam and Dredge to feed Deathrite and not die to Abrupt Decay?

I'm curious why Rule of Law isn't Canonist. Of course, the effects aren't 100% the same, but the manacost is relevant in those matchups. Warmth is great, but why this over COP Red? I mean, one comes in Summer, and one comes in Korean. As well, one prevents and one gains life, meaning one is shut off by Vortex.

Lastly, Wheel is interesting Dredge/Painter hate - why not just play Grip or something? Or another Needle?

The extra removal in the board seems interesting. There's another Decay, Disfigure, Vindicate, and Liliana - seems like a lot when the main point of your deck is to do all of these things anyway. Where's the Elves hate? How are you not losing to Pyromancer? I'm not opposed to more Jace answers, don't get me wrong. I'm just wondering if you would want to pack removal maindeck.

As well, this seems weak to OmniTell. I guess you hope they don't have Leyline because your only answers are discard based? Brainstorm's a card, so I think having permanent based hate in conjunction with discard is where you'd want to be.
    Agree. "Simply" spot removal and discard should not sleep in Junk sideboards. If they are bad in 60, they worse in 75.

Some deck has sideboard PtE...because all the removal they have MD are 4x Stp. Junk is not such deck.

Some deck has sideborad "3x Duress"...because they don't have access to White, and their hate cards suck. Junk is not such deck.

If more discards are needed in game2 againt combo decks, sculler may be better. At least it could give you some clock, and does not fuel their DtT.
    I hear they got twisters miles wide in the Midwest.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

I think sculler is fine, but you may want more turn 1 discard to lead into turn 2 hatebear. Thalia and Teeg are some of the best. I think if youre on the Hymn wagon, then Thalia seems fine because you ideally thalia on t2/hymn on t3. But, turn 1 interaction is important. Im mot sure Id run Hymn so Id have more targeted discard in the main, and those Duress slots could become Thalias.

Jul 2013
    Texas

I've thought about Myth in BW, but never with G really because I think there are better threats once you play G.

However, there are lots of interesting things to think about:

1) Raven's Crime + Loam is obviously a nice way to chew up their hand, then safely attack with a big Myth. You can run an Entomb toolbox, Entomb triggers Myth, etc. Also Darkblast.

2) Lingering Souls triggers Myth twice, and provides a separate angle of attack. Without Stoneforge Mystic, Knight of the Reliquary + Gavony Township is a nice way to build up spirits as well while increasing threat density.

3) Cabal Therapy also does a good job of getting problem cards out of their hand while triggering twice if we use something like Dryad Arbor or Lingering Souls to do it.

4) Living Wish triggers Myth and finds the best creature to follow up Myth considering we're giving up a trigger. Of course it is generally slower than we would like but it does provide a trigger and toolbox. Blending a Myth strategy with a Marit Lage strategy can be nightmarish for opponents.

5) Sterling Grove, of course. Greater Auramancy in a deck with enchantment creatures and tutors might be hilarious.

6) Recurring Nightmare triggers it over and over. There are more than a few non-creature spells in BWG that return themselves to the hand for repeated casting/triggering, but they are mostly junk.

The advantage of adding G to a Myth deck is the ability to dig and explore existing synergies, I think grindy GY decks are the way to go. Mentor benefits from some of these things too like Retrace.

Does anyone here have any experience with chrome mox?

My thoughts are that against fast combo and delver when we die we often have cards still in our hands, we didnt have time to use them or were resource famished.
    With mox we can get an early mana advantage that then allows us to deploy our spells significantly faster ie let us keep up.
    I'm also assuming we can recover from the card disadvantage reasonably well.
    Against all the fair decks it gives us a huge tempo boost, turn 1 shaman and discard or turn 1 SFM etc

I suggest chrome mox because that mox can replace lands where as mox diamond needs even more of them, and Loam isn't something that I'm interested in (I think it's far too slow, especially main deck)

So has anyone tried it before, or have experience with other decks? I'll be testing it tonight but would like to pick your brains etc

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

I used to play it in Deadguy, and it was fine at the time, but that was also like 2007. The card does give you some explosiveness, for sure, at the sacrifice of the stuff in your hand. All artifact mana died in popularity when Deathrite was printed, generally because all the other cards were bad topdecks, and we're the deck that wants to go into the mid/late game, so we'll be seeing all of those dead mana sources coming up, over and over.

Now, against fast combo, they're likely fine since it you do land the hate piece, you're good. But, I feel like many times you just want consistency and DRS is the best, bar none. Against fast combo, I think going T1 discard into Turn 2 bear or Hymn is about the best we can do. I think if you're especially looking to poop on fast combo, try a combination of 1-CMC disruption, Teeg, Thalia, and possibly stuff like Mindbreak Trap or Orim's Chant. How the hell do they win when you Chant in response to tutor or something? Not sure they can.

-Matt

I was thinking of using it in conjunction with shaman to make it more likely we get that fast mana growth.

i guess I'll try it and either fall in love or not and move on to nic fit again. Why can't I play both again? If wizards would just set the deck minimum to 80 cards...

Thread Information