Page 378 of 389 FirstFirst ... 278328368374375376377378379380381382388 ... LastLast
Results 7,541 to 7,560 of 7773

Thread: [Deck] The Rock

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Re: [Deck] The Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Wakkz View Post
    Hi all!
    Im new to Legacy, but have been a liliana, goyf, bob user for a while.
    This Junk list is something I have been looking for and was wondering why no love for fatal push?
    Or is StP better when I can exile my own creature to gain life or something?
    If you have a strong emphasis on Scavenging Ooze, I would play more Fatal Push. Exiling is generally just a free upgrade with StP, and its already in your colors. Most Eldrazi and Griselbrand are immune to Fatal Push, both of which are very popular in Legacy. It also makes opposing Scavenging Oozes worse. StP has some minor friction with Deathrite Shaman (because you can't use your own Deathrites to gain life) but that comes up rarely (in my experience.) *shrug* Test both out. I am honestly too lazy to swap them out, and I'm not sure what number I would swap out. I would always want some number of StP. Fatal Push is much better in non-white decks because they need it (grixis, bug, etc.)
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

The big thing with Swords is that you can deal with bigger creatures (obviously). Marit Lage, Gurmag Angler, the Eldrazi, and Mirran Crusader are the typical threats that you need Swords to deal with instead of Fatal Push.

Push does work better with a deck that wants to T1 Thoughtseize or DRS, so that's something to keep in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

This is what I've been testing out online

4 Dark Confidant
    4 Tarmogoyf
    3 Tireless Tracker
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Ramunap Excavator

3 Fatal Push
    1 Nameless Inversion
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Surgical Extraction
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    3 Thoughtseize
    1 Maelstrom Pulse

3 Mox Diamond

4 Bayou
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    5 Swamp
    4 Forest
    4 Wasteland
    2 Windswept Heath
    1 Polluted Delta

Sideboard

2 Null Rod
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Engineered Plague
    2 Bitterblossom
    3 Leyline of the Void
    2 Make Obsolete
    1 Go for the Throat
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    1 Toxic Deluge

My meta has Reanimator and Bauble/Bomberman so Null Rod and Leyline are for those. Not much, that I've seen, combo. There is Burn so not sure what to SB for that, possibly more discard. I have thought about adding another dual/basic and an off-color answer but haven't decided. With mox/fetch/shaman, 1 off-color card wouldn't be hard to fit in. Make Obsolete is high CMC but being 1-sided is what I need over Golgari Charm. If Charm hit artifacts it would be better for my meta. Choke over Bitter Blossom is a probable swap too.

Last several weeks meta (that I remember) :

Bauble/Bomerman - Painter - MonoR Sneak (same player)
    BR reanimator (trying to switch to DnT)
    Elves
    Jund
    4c Good Stuff
    Burn
    "Miracles"
    BUG Delver

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by harbingerofthevoid View Post
    My meta has Reanimator and Bauble/Bomberman so Null Rod and Leyline are for those. Not much, that I've seen, combo. There is Burn so not sure what to SB for that, possibly more discard. I have thought about adding another dual/basic and an off-color answer but haven't decided. With mox/fetch/shaman, 1 off-color card wouldn't be hard to fit in. Make Obsolete is high CMC but being 1-sided is what I need over Golgari Charm. If Charm hit artifacts it would be better for my meta. Choke over Bitter Blossom is a probable swap too.
    If you're just looking for the -1/-1 effect why not just play Marsh Casualties? BB shouldn't be hard to get in just plain BG Rock.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

@harbingerofthevoid: If that is your metagame, I would consider swapping Thoughtseize with Inquisition of Kozilek. It hits everything you want it to without the lifeloss, which can be significant against burn, and even Jund, with such a strong emphasis on Dark Confidant (once you go straight b/g you lean on Bobs in a big way, in my experience.) I also think Scavenging Ooze would be nutty-good in that metagame, especially strong with all of the green mana you have available.

I can't help but think that Phyrexian Obliterator x1-2 would also be incredible, or even Garruk Relentless. Fair decks won't attack into Obliterator and Garruk Relentless makes it such a slog to get through combat for them if unanswered. For Elves I like Darkblast and the aforementioned Marsh Casualties. In general I think your deck would really love 1-2 Sylvan Library or Mirri's Guile.

EDIT: What's the Nameless Inversion for? Goyf pumping? I don't think it's worth the sub-par card choice (IMHO.)

EDIT #2: Obliterator would force some number of Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Went 3-1 for the third week in a row. Tried out a couple green Sun and excavator. He won me a game against Jund, and... attacked for 2 against sneak and derp. I got to play him and get back a dryad Arbor to protect from Liliana and then go to town with a jitte. Was pretty sweet. So far I'm 4-0 and then 3 3-1's at my weeklies. I'm worried though that some of my wins are coming against some sub-par opponents. I don't think I'll get as many free wins against people this weekend at the classic in Atlanta, but we'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Went 3-1 for the third week in a row. Tried out a couple green Sun and excavator. He won me a game against Jund, and... attacked for 2 against sneak and derp. I got to play him and get back a dryad Arbor to protect from Liliana and then go to town with a jitte. Was pretty sweet. So far I'm 4-0 and then 3 3-1's at my weeklies. I'm worried though that some of my wins are coming against some sub-par opponents. I don't think I'll get as many free wins against people this weekend at the classic in Atlanta, but we'll see.
    Nice! Good luck!
    Brainstorm Realist

With Lands having an uptick presence in my meta, is Tsabo's Web worth considering? (I have an Enlightened Tutor toolbox sideboard)

I feel like my sideboard is lackluster in that matchup, only having 2x Surgicals and 1x Pithing Needle. It would be nice having a silver bullet like Web and 2x copies of Enlightened Tutor to tutor it up. On the flip side, it is a SUPER narrow card and wont be brought in vs other matchups.

Thoughts or other suggestions?

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

The lands matchup is one reason why I started playing Knight of the Reliquary again. Knight can tutor up Wasteland to stall them out for a turn or two, he's almost always out of Punishing Fire range, tutors up Karakas, and he can activate for a timely Bojuka Bog. It doesn't get rid of their inevitability (which is huge) but it can let you play a tempo game against them. Their faster starts are almost unwinnable (in my limited experience against lands) if you don't draw exactly into Wasteland + Surgical Extraction. Karakas/Maze of Ith are both susceptible to their Wastelands, so they are not a fool-proof answer.

EDIT: Tsabo's Web doesn't stop the Depths combo, so I don't think its worth slots at all really. Locking up Grove or other utility lands doesn't seem like enough. I would sideboard more Pithing Needles.
    Brainstorm Realist

If you ran some kind of troll Rock deck with Thalia Heretic then Tsabo's web would be hilarious. Otherwise, agree with running Needles and Wastelands.
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

So I tried the Mom list, liked it for the edge in fair matchups, hated it against anything unfair. My reasoning was always to sideboard them out against unfair matches, but I forgot that most unfair matchups cause me to sideboard some amount of dead removal. That leaves me with wimpy 1/1 attackers that are at least better than nothing. Yuck. So I went back to more discard, here is my current list (pretty stock) with 2 flex slots.

4x DRS
    4x Bob
    3x Sculler
    4x Goyf
    2x KotR

3x Thoughtseize
    3x Iok
    2x Hymn
    3x Abrupt Decay
    4x StP
    2x Sylvan Library
    2x Liliana of the Veil

2x OPEN

4x Wasteland
    1x Maze of Ith
    1x Karakas
    4x Verdant Catacombs
    3x Windswept Heath
    1x Marsh Flats
    2x Scrubland
    1x Bayou
    1x Savannah
    2x Swamp
    1x Forest
    1x Plains

Sideboard
    2x golgari charm
    1x containment priest
    1x gaddock teeg
    2x ethersworn canonist
    1x scavenging ooze
    2x surgical extraction
    2x choke
    1x life from the loam
    1x bojuka bog
    2x pithing needle

My thoughts on the 2x open slots: Vindicate, Painful Truths, Lingering Souls, more Hymns, more Knights, more Liliana, maelstrom pulse. If I end up using Lingering Souls the sideboarded golgari charms will become zealous persecution. I know some folks are high on Painful Truths. With Bob/Library is it worth jamming more draw or do I play more threats?
    Brainstorm Realist

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Another week, another 3-0-1. Crucible man was sick as fuck. Got to just whittle down dnt man with cabal pit. Got to just wasteland and attack a lands player. Got to waste lock eldrazi. Probably will just play Maverick at the quarterly win a mox this weekend, but I think I'm something like 12-3-2 with the deck over the past month and a half. Definitely haven't been worse than 3-1 any time
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Another week, another 3-0-1. Crucible man was sick as fuck. Got to just whittle down dnt man with cabal pit. Got to just wasteland and attack a lands player. Got to waste lock eldrazi. Probably will just play Maverick at the quarterly win a mox this weekend, but I think I'm something like 12-3-2 with the deck over the past month and a half. Definitely haven't been worse than 3-1 any time
    Are you on Diamonds?

Is it a 2/2 split of Excavators and Green Sun's?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Sweet! I know your game plan is going big and fast with a strong emphasis on Loam/lands/Diamond. KotR has been overperforming for me as of late, but I also use Deathrite Shaman; theres tension between those two roommates. So far it has been Bert & Ernie tension, not anything I can't work around. Knight turns on DRS mana ability but shrinks Knight, but on average my knights have been 8/8 (which is plenty big enough lol.)

A few questions, if you don't mind:

1) How much combo do you face? Post-board your Thalia/Canonist plan is really strong, and I'm guessing you are pulling on Brutality main quite a bit as discard. I can't bring myself (yet) to cut Hymn to Tourach, but maybe its correct in the current fair-heavy metagame.

2) How good has Rogue's Passage been (if you still play it)? The classic tech is Sejiri Steppe, but I can see Passage's repeatability being very good.

3) Do you feel cycle lands/loam/Truths is a better card draw engine than Sylvan Library/Dark Confidant currently? It seems quite good, just slow. Against slow grindy decks it seems great, against faster decks it seems underwhelming.

Keep fighting the good fight!
    Brainstorm Realist

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Yeah my list with maybe a tweak or two is in an earlier post.

1) I face a fair amount of combo here, but it's mostly big fatty based (Reanimator show and tell) or depths. Which both of those karakas/ bog or infinite wastelands are very good. I'm probably a dog to storm, but nobody really plays it.

2) Passage is my pet land at this point. It definitely has won me games that no other land could. Maybe it's a trap, idk. Everyone keeps telling me it's terrible, but I'm going to keep playing it. I could see now that excavator is in the deck canopy may be better.

3) I don't have any of the draw spells at the moment actually. I'm leaning on cycle lands plus loam pretty much. I really need to try some other stuff. I just am lazy. I do find I run out of gas sometimes, but crucible man has kind of replaced the other card advantage things. I wished I had a ghost quarter the other night.

I think I may cut decay for more STP and put in a Pridemage or sage to green Sun for. Grixis has been an issue the last couple of times I've faced it.

What did you cut for the 2x GSZ + Excavator? I might run the list at my next couple of 3 round locals.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I keep my list updated on Untapped. Haven't picked up a Stronghold yet, but it's replacing tower of the magistrate.
    Junk Loam Blade:

Maindeck (61)
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Tarmogoyf
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    2 Ramunap Excavator
    2 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Abrupt Decay
    3 Collective Brutality
    2 Life from the Loam
    3 Lingering Souls
    4 Mox Diamond
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Batterskull
    1 Barren Moor
    2 Bayou
    1 Cabal Pit
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Forest
    1 Karakas
    1 Mishra's Factory
    1 Rogue's Passage
    2 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    1 Swamp
    1 Tranquil Thicket
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    4 Wasteland
    3 Windswept Heath

Sideboard (15)
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Crop Rotation
    1 Surgical Extraction
    3 Zealous Persecution
    1 Krosan Grip
    1 To the Slaughter
    2 Choke
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Thespian's Stage

Shared via TopDecked MTG https://www.topdecked.me/decks/03902...2-bd8ce644cbbf

Decided to go with this build for FNM:

Main:
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    3 Tireless Tracker
    4 Abrupt Decay
    1 Darkblast
    1 Fatal Push
    3 Diabolic Edict
    2 Surgical Extraction
    4 Wasteland
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Bayou
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Cabal Pit
    3 Swamp
    3 Forest
    1 Windswept Heath
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Ghost Quarter
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Garruk Relentless
    1 Collective Brutality
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek

Sideboard:
    2 Chalice of the Void
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Null Rod
    1 Thorn of Amethyst
    3 Leyline of the Void
    1 Engineered Plague
    1 Dread of Night
    2 Marsh Casualties
    1 Toxic Deluge

Went 2-1 (5-3) for 3rd. Field was Rock, DnT, Junk, Deadguy, BR Reanimator, Food Chain and 2x ANT.

R1 RB Reanimator 2-0
    G1 Some quick discard hitting Animate Deads that pumped Goyf. Drew 4 off Tracker. Inquisition and Collective Brutality took him off any reanimation spells.
    G2 More discard, a little land destruction. Tracker and Goyf again. He finally got to get Tidespout Tyrant in play but I had Diabolic Edict in hand.

SB
    + 2 Needle, 1 Thorn and 3 Leylines never drew any of them
    - 4 Decay, 1 Push, 1 Darkblast

R2 ANT 1-2
    G1 I got Tendril'd like t3(?)
    G2 T0 Leyline. T1 can't remember, Shaman or Inquisition probablly, T2 Null Rod. Later, E. Plague on Goblin. Scoop. I think this game landed a chalice on 1 as well.
    G3 I had 2 4/5 Goyf, he had 12(?) Goblins.

Ghost Quater on a basic is tight when they run only 2 basics.

SB
    + 2 CotV, 2 Null Rod, 1 Thorn, 3 Leyline, 1 E. Plague, 1 Marsh Casulties, 1 Deluge
    - 1 Excavator, 1 Darkblast, 1 Push, 4 Decay, 1 Garruk, 3 Diabolic Edict

R3 ANT 2-1
    G1 Tendril'd pretty quick
    G2 He Duress my Null Rod. He also brought in Fatal Push. Made it tough to stick a creature. he made me discard Liliana and E. Plague so i got to swing with 5/6 Goyf. He Tendril'd to stay alive hitting me for 14. Couldn't kill Goyf so it took 3 more swings to finish it.
    G3 Get a Chailice on 0. Ghost Quater is good again. 2 big Goyf. He Ad Nauseum I Deathrite in response. He goes down to 3 life but drew no gas.

SB
    + 2 CotV, 2 Null Rod, 1 Thorn, 3 Leyline, 1 E. Plague, 1 Marsh Casulties, 1 Deluge, 2 Needle
    - 1 Shaman, 1 Darkblast, 1 Push, 4 Decay, 1 Garruk, 1 Cabal Pit, 3 Diabolic Edict, 1 Surgical

Hell yeah 13 card SB!

Didn't get to play vs any of the other fair decks but seemed to fair pretty well vs the other half. All in all I'm liking this build fine. Sadly never drew Garruk or Excavator. I never drew Darkblast any game either but it wouldn't have done any good any way. Ended up only taking I believe a total of 4 damage form Bob out of 8 games. I mean I only saw him 3 times so...

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I also did FNM this past friday with my list. I went 1-2-1, beating 4c Aggro Loam, losing to Elves and Uw stoneblade, and drawin with Jeskai Stoneblade. Bob and Library were awesome all night long. I need better answers for elves, and a better way to grind out the stoneblade matchups. I will be using this as my sideboard going forward:

1x Engineered Explosives
    2x Zealous Persecution
    2x Ethersworn Canonist
    1x Gaddock Teeg
    1x Containment Priest
    2x Surgical Exraction
    1x Bojuka Bog
    1x Maze of Ith
    1x Pithing Needle
    1x Garruk Relentless
    2x Choke

One potential way to grind out the stoneblad matchups would be to play Lingering Souls maindeck over Knight. I would lose the toolbox, but I would gain some serious grind power. Not sure on what is better, for now sticking with Knight. I also played a Treetop Village, which overperformed by a lot. All of my cards were doing incredible at doing what the deck needs. Mana was perfect, Sculler was aces just pure gas. I also was reinforced just how good Liliana is. Three maindeck now.

Overall, I really like where the deck is at. Goyf and Bob are just amazing as always, and with a great curve of discard into threats they shine. I am in the minority of junk/deadguy players in that I don't play SFM. It might be wrong but I really like all the discard setting up big goyfs/knights for big swings. I feel like I was in every game. Some misplays were made and some slot choices weren't optimal, but that can be rectified. Lovin' the bgw life.
    Brainstorm Realist

So I think I am ready to take the next step in terms of playing on MTGO. I play the competitive leagues religiously for modern but have been hesitant for Legacy (Its such a wide open format and punishes more for misplays). Ive been sticking to tournament practices but i think ill start a Legacy League this week or next. I guess Ive been hesitent running a deck thats not exactly tiered.

Heres my current list. Any input before I run it through?

Lands (22)
    3 Bayou
    1 Forest
    3 Marsh Flats
    1 Plains
    1 Savannah
    2 Scrubland
    1 Swamp
    1 Treetop Village
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Wasteland
    2 Windswept Heath

Creatures (14)
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Dark Confidant
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Tarmogoyf

Sorcery (11)
    4 Thoughtseize
    2 Hymn to Tourach
    3 Lingering Souls
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    1 Toxic Deluge

Instant (6)
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Abrupt Decay

Artifacts (3)
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull

Enchantment (2)
    1 Mirri's Guile
    1 Sylvan Library

Planeswalkers (2)
    2 Liliana of the Veil

Sideboard (15)
    1 Chains of Mephistopheles
    1 Choke
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Engineered Plague
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Humility
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Zealous Persecution
    Last edited by KoDiamonds; 08-01-2017 at 12:24 AM.

Thread Information