Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Format Discussion - The Ban List

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

Re: Format Discussion - The Ban List

Unban Skullclamp, I have a set already.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

Nov 2010
    Belgium

Quote Originally Posted by javert View Post
    Why is Skullclamp still in the ban list? Much like Mind twist or Hypnotic specter, the decks that use Skullclamp aren't the ultimate brokeness anymore. Affinity is no longer the most scary aggro deck and now even one - drops have two or three thoughness. Although the card draw is undeniably good, by the time it becomes a relevant engine in Legacy it's already the late game and the deck looks midrange. Against any good combo deck, Skullclamp is a card as dead as Jitte and against control skullclamp wouldn't help a lot once a Countertop lock or some powerful enchantment like Moat is online. Elves remain as the most likely suspect to abuse it but, hey if even with Glimpse it's a laughable deck then having just another redundant card won't make it that much better. If it became tier 1, would it be bad to have another deck joining the gaunglet?
    Ok....

Everyone who said the words: Oath, Skullclamp, Minds Desire, and Gush in one sentence with the word "unban" please get into line here in front of me to get a kick into your nuts.... Seriously ? You ever played one of this cards ?

Gush just makes about every Tempo and Combo Deck one turn faster... I played it for fun in my merfolk at the kitchen table and it was so sick...and thats not even the deck gaining most out of it.

Minds Desire: I am not even willing to talk about that card... desire into desire is auto win, always its not just drawing cards, there is no restriction in 1.5 and 4 desire basicly allow you to drop your deck on the table.

Skullclamp, jeah there are no decks that are tribal based ...like elves merfolk, goblin, oh and affinity isnt around anymore, and last I heared noone played creature decks like D&T and Zoo, besides all that wizards would never print a card like 2 mana search a scullclamp,1 manan play it uncounterable and get crazy with it....................................... no wait........

Oath, jeah I heared Combodecks that have like 20-24 slots for removal are pretty good, nah...maybe I am mistaken.

guys guys... how should anybody take youserious if you suggest stuff like that.

Nov 2006
    Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Could someone explain to me why people get completely terrified when it comes to unbanning Mind's Desire, while we have a card right now that costs one mana less and wins the game just as hard as Desire does? Although you can't run more than like 3 AdN and the card becomes worse at lower life, costing one less definitely makes up for that. Uncounterability is only partially the case, as ramping up to 6 mana will leave you vulnerable to counters, and because you can still counter the IT or BW. Don't get me wrong. I would understand it if the card wouldn't get unbanned, but it's really not as bad as you make it to be.
    "Part of me belives that Barrin taught me meditation simply to shut me up."

-Ertai, wizard adept

http://solidarityprimer.proboards85.com/index.cgi

Quote Originally Posted by Bahamuth View Post
    Could someone explain to me why people get completely terrified when it comes to unbanning Mind's Desire, while we have a card right now that costs one mana less and wins the game just as hard as Desire does? Although you can't run more than like 3 AdN and the card becomes worse at lower life, costing one less definitely makes up for that. Uncounterability is only partially the case, as ramping up to 6 mana will leave you vulnerable to counters, and because you can still counter the IT or BW. Don't get me wrong. I would understand it if the card wouldn't get unbanned, but it's really not as bad as you make it to be.
    Ad Nauseam isn't a Mind's Desire. It's really not even close. If you're just going to write off things like being entirely uncounterable as a minor thing, it doesn't sound like you're asking for an explanation so much as not accepting the one right in front of you.
    Suddenly, Fluffy realized she wasn't quite like the other bunnies anymore.

-Team R&D-
    -noitcelfeR maeT-

Another way to look at it is Ad Nauseam is "just" drawing cards, Desire is drawing and casting them - in other words Ad Nauseam is just fuel and Desire is both fuel and an engine (and a virtual uncounterable one at that too). Besides, Desire was a beast even in the strictly inferior Snap engine - letting it loose in an envioment like legacy is like letting a wolf into a flock of lambs.

Nov 2006
    Brasil

About Earthcraft, I think Enchantress would be pleased to solve their kill condition dilema with it, and I think it would be way too powerful there so that I really don't think it will be unbanned.
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

Yea, if uncounterability (and lack of vulnerability to any answer cards in general) was no big deal combo decks wouldn't jump through hoops to cast 9 spells in a turn for Tendrils aka the best combo win condition ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Gui View Post
    About Earthcraft, I think Enchantress would be pleased to solve their kill condition dilema with it, and I think it would be way too powerful there so that I really don't think it will be unbanned.
    I'm pretty skeptical that Earthcraft and Squirrel Nest would overpower Enchantress. Both are pretty mediocre on their own and it already has a pretty nice win con in Sigil of the Empty Throne.

Nov 2006
    Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by FieryBalrog View Post
    I'm pretty skeptical that Earthcraft and Squirrel Nest would overpower Enchantress. Both are pretty mediocre on their own and it already has a pretty nice win con in Sigil of the Empty Throne.
    Hmmm... I see... but Earthcraft is faster than Sigil and has the secondary ability of accelerating the deck.
    I'm skeptical about people claiming for its unban not being the ones that are willing to abuse it. xD
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.

Jul 2008
    Netherlands

Nameless One also talked about Goblin Recruiter, whats everybody's opinion on that? Is the format ready for food-chain goblins?

Nov 2006
    Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by 1maarten1 View Post
    Nameless One also talked about Goblin Recruiter, whats everybody's opinion on that? Is the format ready for food-chain goblins?
    IMO, the only unbannable card from his post is Mind Twist, but I'm afraid of missing something and fail to understand its power, so I would be flattered with an explanation ^^

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Hmmm... I see... but Earthcraft is faster than Sigil and has the secondary ability of accelerating the deck.
    I'm skeptical about people claiming for its unban not being the ones that are willing to abuse it. xD
    Enchantress would just use Sacred Mesa. It's not too bad on its own, and would function essentially the same as squirrels nest. Forest w/ wild growth + Mesa + earthcraft = win next turn. The rest of the deck would focus on stalling until it could establish this combo. Enchantress could become top tier, and I still don't think it's overpowered since the combo is relatively fragile.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Accellerate the deck when you play 4 creatures? ._.

Earthcraft make for a nice combo with mesa but honestly even that use strike me as win more (Enchantress already easily do 5+ pegasi a turn with a Sanctum alone). Squirrel nest is unplayable by itself and wouldn't be played even with Earthcraft.

Earthcraft would at most push some T2 decks into T1.5, and that's it. Twist is useless. Tax is decent but scroll rack + Tax is so slow and worse than countertop as a card-advantage engine i can't see any reason why the card's still banned.

Recruiter would make Goblin a better version of Vengevival decks, i'll say no thx.

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Rico Suave View Post
    Ad Nauseam isn't a Mind's Desire. It's really not even close. If you're just going to write off things like being entirely uncounterable as a minor thing, it doesn't sound like you're asking for an explanation so much as not accepting the one right in front of you.
    This. Ad Nauseum into another Ad Nauseum loses you the game. Mind's Desire into another Mind's Desire + whatever other storm boosters you flip is just another nail in the coffin.

Quote Originally Posted by FieryBalrog View Post
    Ewww, Enchantess would never play Squirrel's Nest LOL. We already play 7-8x Wild Growth Effects so we would just switch over to Sacred Mesa instead of Sigil or in addition to Sigil. Sacred Mesa + a double growthed land + Earthcraft = infinite mana and infinite tokens or single growthed land + EarthCraft + Mesa = just infinite tokens. Anyone who has ever played against Enchantress can tell you double Growthed land is the rule not the exception. Not to mention Earthcraft is never dead as it usually will draw cards off Enchantress effects and it turns your Argothian Enchantresses into super mana dorks since they never attack and rarely block anyways. Argothian Enchantress, Wild Growth, draw, Earthcraft, draw, untap land tap for mana another Enchantress, draw, untap lands, play more growth effects, draw, draw, play Sacred Mesa, infinite tokens + mana, play entire deck and burn you out with Words of War. Not saying it's too broken to ever come unbanned but it's far from as safe as people seem to think. As an Enchantress player I would obviously play it and I don't think it's safe enough to unban just on what it could do for Enchantress alone. I didn't even think about it before but Dovescape might even be maindeckable at that point and that could get pretty stupid quickly since Earthcraft + Enchantress + Dovescape is pretty much GG every time. Enchantress would definitely change quite a bit to say the least, and you'd be hardpressed to talk anyone into playing Squirrel Nest when it's 10000x worse than Mesa or Dovescape.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

I think Mindtwist can easily come off the list.
    Go ahead and unban Earthcraft.
    I think Vengevine and Survival should hang out where they are.

As for Recruiter... I think it could be unbanned and not break the format. The problem I see is the time it would eat up arranging the proper order to just keep chaining goblins.

Same goes for Landtax essentially as Recruiter.

I has big critta!
    Jun 2010
    Frankfurt, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Valrina View Post
    Ok....

Everyone who said the words: Oath, Skullclamp, Minds Desire, and Gush in one sentence with the word "unban" please get into line here in front of me to get a kick into your nuts.... Seriously ? You ever played one of this cards ?

Gush just makes about every Tempo and Combo Deck one turn faster... I played it for fun in my merfolk at the kitchen table and it was so sick...and thats not even the deck gaining most out of it.

Minds Desire: I am not even willing to talk about that card... desire into desire is auto win, always its not just drawing cards, there is no restriction in 1.5 and 4 desire basicly allow you to drop your deck on the table.

Skullclamp, jeah there are no decks that are tribal based ...like elves merfolk, goblin, oh and affinity isnt around anymore, and last I heared noone played creature decks like D&T and Zoo, besides all that wizards would never print a card like 2 mana search a scullclamp,1 manan play it uncounterable and get crazy with it....................................... no wait........

Oath, jeah I heared Combodecks that have like 20-24 slots for removal are pretty good, nah...maybe I am mistaken.

guys guys... how should anybody take youserious if you suggest stuff like that.
    I think you really have a point here.
    Playing a Deck with Mind's Desire (even though unpowered) in Vintage just makes you realize how incredibly awesome this card might get.
    What no one here seems to get is that the main differences between AdN and MD are:
    1. AdN makes you pay life -> your curve has to be low -> less tendrils, AdN, IGG you want to flip (or more time to go off, since you don't die that fast) -> 4MD,3ToA,2IGG -> ARE YOU SHITTING ME?!?
    2. it is blue -> FoW
    3. Your flips are way less likely to fail assuming that you play a bunch of ToA's, considering that flipping 2BB + IT wins you the game pretty much.
    4. sort of immunity to counters, because of storm mechanic.
    5. You just do not really care if you have floating mana after MD... What do you need it for anyways...
    6. If it fails in an early state of the game it still leaves you with plenty life and most likely some cantrips & disruption to bombard the opponent with...

Seriously? I'd love to put 4of those cuties in my Storm Combo-Deck to go nuts with it. (I'd definitely play them!!!)

Oath is just even more insane, being a ~6-10 Card Combo, that is ready turn 2, going nuts turn 3 with so much protection AND most likely a big, fat emrakul that can not be hit by StoP and recurrs with Oath, all by itself... COME ON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1maarten1 View Post
    Well, they've printed an all-goblin combo finish:
    Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker,Lightning Crafter,Skirk Prospector

While the CC of that list looks bit high, Skirk Prospector,Mogg War Marshal, and Goblin Warchief, combined with Goblin Ringleaders is a ridiculously potent all-goblin mana production scheme, and the Gobbos do have plenty of ways to cheat cards into play.

And, really, while Skirk Prospector,Mogg War Marshal, and Lighting Crafter are possibly marginal, the rest are quite potent even without the combo, and most are quite nice with Food Chain too.

I really don't think there will be that many permutations of sort order to consider once the fastest ramp & kill stuff has been worked out once.

I suppose it would encourage people to chase those blatant chase cards even more, but it's probably not healthy for the format.

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

Quote Originally Posted by nodahero View Post
    As for Recruiter... I think it could be unbanned and not break the format. The problem I see is the time it would eat up arranging the proper order to just keep chaining goblins.
    What time does this eat up? The recruiter stacks are not difficult to make and shouldn't take much time at all aside from teh shuffling. Not to mention since you're normally doing this turn 2-4, your games aren't taking long. If the opponent can survive an onslaught of 4 piledrivers, multiple tokens, warchiefs/chieftans, etc.. on say turn 3? Oh, you some how cheated a moat onto the table? That's fine, I've got Skirk Prospector, Siege Gang Commander, and Goblin Sharpshooter. You're still dying, this turn.

If the deck didn't face disruption this happened consistantly betweens turn 3-4, and even if they strip your Food Chain, you're basically playing Vial Goblins. Swarm and turn em sideways.
    Last edited by Sims; 12-15-2010 at 12:34 PM. Reason: stupid quote tag.
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Back in my casual days, when Legacy was still Type 1.5, I used to have a Gobvantage deck. You can beat someone with turn 3 Recruiter to Ringleader, Piledriver, Piledriver, Piledriver, Prospector.. I cant remember the exact sequence but it was that hard. Given that that was before Siege-Gang Commanders joined the Goblin gang.

I also think Goblin Recruiter would be too good for the format. I only added it on the opening post because it was included by Stephen Menendian's Unban article about the same time last year.

Its funny because at around the same time, Skullclamp wasn't really considered broken. Maybe it was just underplayed back in those days (compared to Jitte). Remember that Crazy88.dec?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

I do, and it was no where near the most borked application of Clamp.

Also, to anyone who thinks that Survival/vine is too strong or fast right now and thinks the unbanning of Recruiter is a good idea:

You're crazy.
    Last edited by Sims; 12-15-2010 at 02:39 PM. Reason: typo
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

Thread Information