Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: GerMagic.de and Deckcheck.net wil go offline on 22.oct.

Jul 2009
    Berlin / Germany

GerMagic.de and Deckcheck.net wil go offline on 22.oct.

Hi,

Maybe some of you would like to know:

The German Community Site : GerMagic.de will go offline, cause of the actual WPN anouncement. With this site Deckcheck.net will also go offline. This means there will be no International Site with Decklists anymore. EvilBernd doesn't want to give out the Data, so the decklists will be simply lost.

"Please note: Because of recent activities from WotC's side (for smaller parts this and for bigger parts this), this site will be taken down on October, 22nd. It's my decision and not some sort of take-down from Hasbro. I do it, because I don't support a game, that doesn't support its players. I will not sell the site, the domain, or my database, so please refrain from asking.

A big "Thank you very very much!!" to all the players, TOs and judges who submitted decklists and who supported this site during its time being.

Yours truly, EvilBernd."

I hope he will made up his mind in the next few days, otherwise it will be a great loss for the magic communtiy.

The only one he ever feared
    Oct 2009
    Sweden's Jerusalem

Re: GerMagic.de and Deckcheck.net wil go offline on 22.oct.

I think it's pointless to - as a reaction to sites being closed down - close down even more sites that don't affect WotC, just the community.

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

So... What?
    Why the closing of the sites?
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

Jul 2009
    Berlin / Germany

Event's like Prerelease and some other events like gateway (Premier Events .. FNM and so on), cannot take place anymore without a Store. Which means in some citys will be no more tournaments. There was also some other little things in the past, why Evilbernd doesn#t want to go on with this sites.

keepin' it unreal
    May 2007
    Gothenburg, Sweden

What was magicdraftsim.com? Why was it shut down?

And what is the relation between limiting events to stores and closing websites?
    "Want all, lose all."

Jul 2009
    Berlin / Germany

I do it, because I don't support a game, that doesn't support its players.
    This is the Link to his Blog (it's in german).

And yes there is no real relation and at least with this decision he also doesn't support the players.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

So he's making a stand by screwing the community over? Nice job. Doesn't really seem to make sense to me, to be honest. I understand this decision sucks, but petition against Wizards to change it, don't screw over the people who still want to play.

-Matt

No time to actually play Legacy
    Jun 2009
    Washington, D.C.

That is terrible news. Deckcheck is such an important staple in the Magic community. Does anybody else know of a viable substitute site?

Dec 2009
    Germany

I think the point why EvilBernd is closing his sites is that he is one of those tournament organizers without a shop and will be screwed by the changes.

After putting a lot of work into the community for years (which he has done for free without getting paid for it) and therefore also indirectly supporting WotC I can actually understand why he is pissed even though I don't like his decision and reaction.

Touch the sky

May 2008
    Lisboa, Portugal

Hmm... Maybe we could start building one? Anyone who wants to be a part of the project leave me a PM. We only have some days to export the decklists from deckcheck before it closes.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    MWS is an idiot filter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthuloo View Post
    If they are particularly ugly : Tarmo & Goyf
    If they fight all the day: Urza & Mishra (if one is a female: Chandra & Jace - if one is good and the other is evil: Gerrard and Yawgmoth )
    If instead they collaborate: Brainstorm & Fetchland
    If they always seem to listen to you, but in fact they don't: Maro & Aaron
    If they have tentacles: Cthulu & Emrakul

You could scrape the lists from deckcheck in a matter of hours, tops - I assume some people already are.

The real problem with running a site like deckcheck is the amount of work the data entry for new lists takes.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Mar 2007
    Montreal, Qc

I didn't believe it the first time I went on Deckcheck today... such a loss for every netdeckers. I hope someone will take the job.

Yo sé, mi español es terrible :S
    Jun 2010
    East SF Bay, CA (Summer and Winter breaks) or Austin, TX (college)

OMG this is extremely sad. Both the WoTC decision and the Deckcheck.net reaction.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRock View Post
    Regardless of Threshold variant though, CB = , , and .
    Quote Originally Posted by kiblast View Post
    c'mon, 5 minutes to side 3 cards? who are you? Deep Blue challenging Kasparov?

I respect EB's decision because he was a great organizer and supporter for Magic in my local area. His work has been severly crippled by the announcement and seeing the love and effort he has put into the game during the years WOTC just slammed the door shut in his face yelling: "Shit on you!". However I also read defiance in his reaction and personally feel it is not right to drag the communit yand the knowledge deckcheck provides down with him.

I have crawled and stored lecagy data from deckcheck since beginning of the year but it is a major setback for my legacy statistics since it relies on it a lot. Also the DTB sections on TheSource had like 80% decks listed on deckcheck as source for analysis. It will become much harder now to track down a relevant number of legacy tourneys. The problem is NOT to provide a website that can technically host the same functionality but to gain enough publicity along with the confidence and trust of all players that not the same is happening to their work putting decklists online again.

Certainly, I don't think anyone would trust anything the guy does in the future after this stunt.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

I thought initially when fist reading the post, why wouldn't anyone sell the site if they were not going to continue? After dwelling on it, I can understand and I thought of all that hardwork for something that does not pay and that must be a ton of hours the guy spent to suddenly, with not only a failure to receive any warnings, but also a complete lack of any consolation support. In light of his predicament, he is nice enough to permit a week for anyone to collect all the data for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Yo sé, mi español es terrible :S
    Jun 2010
    East SF Bay, CA (Summer and Winter breaks) or Austin, TX (college)

Quote Originally Posted by Nekrataal View Post
    I respect EB's decision because he was a great organizer and supporter for Magic in my local area. His work has been severly crippled by the announcement and seeing the love and effort he has put into the game during the years WOTC just slammed the door shut in his face yelling: "Shit on you!". However I also read defiance in his reaction and personally feel it is not right to drag the communit yand the knowledge deckcheck provides down with him.

I have crawled and stored lecagy data from deckcheck since beginning of the year but it is a major setback for my legacy statistics since it relies on it a lot. Also the DTB sections on TheSource had like 80% decks listed on deckcheck as source for analysis. It will become much harder now to track down a relevant number of legacy tourneys. The problem is NOT to provide a website that can technically host the same functionality but to gain enough publicity along with the confidence and trust of all players that not the same is happening to their work putting decklists online again.
    Yup. I can understand if he no longer wanted to spend his time hosting this stuff, but he could have transferred ownership to someone. :(

For the time being, I'm thinking of crawling the Deckcheck.net database and archiving the webpages.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRock View Post
    Regardless of Threshold variant though, CB = , , and .
    Quote Originally Posted by kiblast View Post
    c'mon, 5 minutes to side 3 cards? who are you? Deep Blue challenging Kasparov?

pussy head man from outer space
    Mar 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Ciberon View Post
    Hmm... Maybe we could start building one? Anyone who wants to be a part of the project leave me a PM. We only have some days to export the decklists from deckcheck before it closes.
    Error, the Admin of "Mtg-forum.de" a german Community has offerd to launch a new Database, if he can't convince EvilBernd to save Deckcheck.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    You could scrape the lists from deckcheck in a matter of hours, tops - I assume some people already are.

The real problem with running a site like deckcheck is the amount of work the data entry for new lists takes.
    Some of the guys, responsible for the Legacy and Standard Decklists @ Deckcheck have already offered to continue their work.

//€: The whole Deckcheck-Legacy team will support the-Mtg-Forum.de-database Projekt.
    Last edited by Valdez; 10-16-2010 at 04:50 PM.

ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)
    Jun 2007

I've spoken directly with the admin several times about his data in the past. He doesn't like sharing. My reaction back then: Son, I am disappoint. I'm not surprised by his current reaction.

For anyone who wants the data (in the easiest to acquire form), just use a offline browser or crawling tool which downloads the entire site. A fast connection will have in it all in an hour. I don't have to time to adjust my old scraper at this very moment, so I'm going to have to just crawl myself. The data won't be lost.

I hope that a new place for tournament data submission with a real team of people to organize the data will pop up fast. There are ways to avoid WotC's aggressive IP protection that we may need to employ to ensure we have no future problems. That might sound paranoid, but clearly WotC are control-freaks enough to take down independent metadata. The next database should be extremely difficult to take down (legally, and otherwise).

peace,
    4eak

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

That is seriously some stupid policy from WotC. They sure aren't helping their reputation for making ridiculous decisions.

Thread Information