I was thinking about how much can one benefit from shuffling its own library when I have seen Psychogenic probe.

Why in the hell would someone deal damage due shuffling. Well there is a lot of situations when card orders to shuffle a library. Mostly all tutors do so, and in EDH, Singleton 100 or german highlander needs to make the decks bit more consistend they will surely need some tutorings.

However there is an opposite card. Myr Mindservant. What the... Ok... How in the hell can shuffling help me. Have you ever had manascrew or manaflood and and you was sure that in next turns is nothing coming to help you? Yeah i would like to use some shuffling at this point. Sometimes just lands stick together...

Honestly I was considering whether to play or not Myr Mindservant. Until I realized that same effect is on many many other cards, but not as a main effect, but as side-effect to prevent player from knowing what follows in library. But how can shuffling a library really improve your game?

As far i know when anyones play an effect which searches in library all of the players have to take a look at the library. Is this a benefit before shuffling? Yes. If there is any problem due very bad card order you will probably notice it.

The question from my side to people here if it is legal or fair to check out the library for such problems to solve them by shuffling just as an side effect of the tutor. Legal? Maybe... The card orders you to search in library and then to shuffle. Fair? ...

From this point of view any tutor - especially the low mana tutors can affect the game course very intensly. From the other hand a style how the deck is being shuffled is something special. I was doing tricks with poker card deck... someone takes a random card from the deck. Then he puts it on the bottom of the poker deck. I will shuffle the deck and then start to search in it. Then I will pick one card, reveal it and in most cases i will be able to show card which was chosen. How is this possible? well when the guy was looking on the card he chosen I have taken a look at the card on the bottom of deck. Only thing I need is to shuffle carefully enough.

Personally I dont like cheaters, because I am interested in the game, but if you confront shuffing done by computer and shuffing done "by hand" you will find certain differences. From time to time I have to "deconstruct" my deck to take a look what to add, what to remove. Then i shuffle it 5-6 or more times. Why so much? If i shuffle it only once or twice I am able to see some cards coming from library in some specific order. usually it means and disadvantage to me however it can mean opposite.

Shuffling can make a difference - i noticed that after long game player just take the grave, all cards from battlefield and land, put it on top of library and shuffle a bit. Just notice that sometimes both players had more than 15 lands in play out of 30? Why the manascrew then? Let me guess... :D

currently i have not found any rule in comprehensive rules how to shuffle propery. Not only to be sure that all my lands are not together, not only to prevent cheating...