Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: DCI update 12/20/10 - Survival banned; Time Spiral unbanned

Re: DCI update 12/20/10

Very disappointed.

Be warned, the precedent has been set. When people complain, they ban stuff. This will only encourage people to complain about more things until everyone is happy and nothing is left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Interestingly enough, I would argue that BS is the Dark Ritual in this case.
    Tom? Is that you? I thought you were going to go work on DnD?

Nov 2005
    Germany

I'm sad to see Survival gone because it was the centrepiece of many terrible but awesome decks hanging right on the edge of playability. But maybe it was only a question of time since the creature power creep started... sad.

I'm very disappointed. I would love to play the format which is something between legacy and vintage. Skullclamps, Oath of Druids, Survivals etc unbanned. Moxes, Timewalks etc banned.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Without saying that Survival's banning was wrong or that Brainstorm/Force should be banned, it's ridiculous to pretend that there's not a blue-blind slant to bannings in Legacy. The assumption does in fact seem to be that it's normal for blue to be the most prolific color, and that if this changes something is odd and has to be fixed.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

I think we all saw it coming, but most of us are still disappointed. You can't expect anything involved with Wizards of the Coast to be done with the best interest of the game at heart, but you can always hope. [sarcasm]So glad I went out and spent $700 putting together Rock just in time for it to start sucking again.[/sarcasm] With Survival out of the picture, the field dynamics change and decks that were well positioned in the metagame are now back to being junk. Remind me again why I thought it was worthwhile to eschew MWS for paper magic? If anyone is interested in buying a Rock deck wholesale, let me know. I mize well go to the SCG in KC since I've already got a room and the time off plus way too much money worth of cardboard, but after that, I'll be dumping it off and I'd rather do it in one lump sum than piecemeal. Lesson learned; after KC, I'm done with this game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Plow their Mom every chance you get!

Nov 2010
    Belgium

Quote Originally Posted by Valrina View Post
    *predicts future*

Surival gets the hammer
    Burning Wish goes to the Watchlist
    Land Tax is unbanned
    Time Spiral is unbanned
    from the predict the future thread... come on boys I know it...but wizards if you read my posts please read it completly you need to unban Land Tax... and lol on everyone buying time spiral for a shitload of money now ;9

My 4 are happy with me here since 3 weeks ^^

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeyMikey View Post
    I think we all saw it coming, but most of us are still disappointed. You can't expect anything involved with Wizards of the Coast to be done with the best interest of the game at heart, but you can always hope. [sarcasm]So glad I went out and spent $700 putting together Rock just in time for it to start sucking again.[/sarcasm] With Survival out of the picture, the field dynamics change and decks that were well positioned in the metagame are now back to being junk. Remind me again why I thought it was worthwhile to eschew MWS for paper magic? If anyone is interested in buying a Rock deck wholesale, let me know. I mize well go to the SCG in KC since I've already got a room and the time off plus way too much money worth of cardboard, but after that, I'll be dumping it off and I'd rather do it in one lump sum than piecemeal. Lesson learned; after KC, I'm done with this game.
    Small loss. You're whining because of a move that was obviously on the table for months, throwing a tantrum and acting like there's any motivation for Wizards to ban Survival other than interest in the format's health. It's one thing to say that they made a misjudgment, but to whine and bitch that they don't care about the game because you didn't like their decision is pathetic.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Feel It
    Oct 2010
    Mtgthesource.com, where else? :)

Very sad and very unfair (on the archetype, format, and secondary market) but not unexpected. I just wonder why they couldn't have more patience to wait a few more months, to give this format more time. Or if they had to ban something, nuke VV instead and see how Survival performs then.

Time Spiral is at least a new toy for us to play with. Whether it will be a great unbanning though remains to be seen.

Team Nijmegen Failtrain Captain
    Nov 2009
    Nijmegen, Netherlands

It was inevitable, as the game keeps progressing, survival's power will be increasing.

You saw this happening when iona came, then vengevine and after that necrotic ooze-combo was born. The power-level of surival was reaching it's limit and it will have crossed the line of being acceptable in the end. Wizards shouldn't have to create new sets with survival's power in mind.

It's a shame, but it had to be done someday anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by CorpT View Post
    Very disappointed.

Be warned, the precedent has been set. When people complain, they ban stuff. This will only encourage people to complain about more things until everyone is happy and nothing is left.
    What bugs me the most is that the tone of the DCI implies that "this stuff is permanent" in various ways. They do that on multiple levels, trying to bathe the ruling in an objective, context free light. That's understandable since people question authority and they're used to be questioned. On the other hand, players infer "this is permanent" to an even higher degree, even though Vintage shows us that nothing is written in stone and heck, maybe change can be interesting.

OTOH, if things were done differently regarding tone and expectation:

1. Maybe it might be ok to ban vengevine until something else caused sotf to be the most problematic card in the format; if things change, and can be unchanged, fewer huffs about decisions that have to be scientifically "pure" over "expedient to fun."

2. Card value might be more consistant as cards came in and out and back into legality. I know a lot of people get off on the magic meta financial game and considering themselves "good" at it, and I've been one of those people for the past few years (written for Quiet Speculation, the whole deal). But I'm tired now. I don't want to have to liquidate cards every time Erwin says they're ridiculous or wade through all the major retailer sites at 12:01 after a DCI update. That's not fun for me anymore.

They call me a slob, but I do my job...
    Sep 2009
    Back to the city by the sea, blowin' in the wind, fighting with hordes of retired people

The most funny thing is that the unban of Time Spiral ha blatantly been done so they can just continue to brag about the shortest ban list ever. Doesn't this sound a bit stupid? A format were Homelands is banned will have a way longer ban list, without minimally affecting the metagame.
    Team Stimato Ezio: You're off the team!

People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.
    -Kierkegaard

May 2007
    Slovenia, Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Cthuloo View Post
    The most funny thing is that the unban of Time Spiral ha blatantly been done so they can just continue to brag about the shortest ban list ever.
    I was just thinking about the same thing. I couldn't care less about the unbanned stuff every time the anouncement is made.

A format were Homelands is banned will have a way longer ban list, without minimally affecting the metagame.
    Lol, you made my day (even though now i only have a playset of "edh chase rares"; i just need to make 3 more edh decks to use all of my Survivals).

random scrub

Sep 2004
    Costa La Haya

Quote Originally Posted by Fossil4182 View Post
    In Legacy, the Goyf era when Threshold and Counterbalance decks were dominating the meta game, no one complained with Aggro Loam and Dragon Stopmy created a "warp'd meta game".
    That's the thing: people should just complain more, and make a video blog about it. It's hard to deny that Survival archetypes are strong, but so are Workshop, Oath and Tezzeret archetypes in Vintage. I played some Vintage before Legacy's inception, so perhaps my view is skewed: but shouldn't an eternal format have defining (format warping) archetypes? At least in Vintage it's clear that there are old cards so strong that they can't be matched by random type 2 cards. What does Legacy have in that category? Dual lands, FoW, LED... On the bright side, at least EDH lets people play with proper tutors, and from now on I can complain about Counterbalance warping the metagame, then Tarmogoyf, then Rhox war monk... all I need is to learn how to post a video on Youtube ;)
    "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"

+1 to about everything was said so far. Sad to see Survival go. Really wish we could have more crap unabnned. But the worst part is that it's not over yet. I'm sure internet talking heads are penning two weeks worth of called shot articles and comparing Survival and Necropotence.

Sigh.

Will it be possible to ask for the ban of vial when stupid-merfolks will get 3 places in every top 8 ?

'cause it seems to work like this now with wizard...
    Forgive my bad English...

Trample, Haste
    Mar 2009
    Italy

Oh, come on, please stop complaining! We all knew it was going to happen! Nobody is happy obviously because it's a great archetipe, but it was expected.

@Cthuloo: Your predictions where correct! (He told me that they would say that this is the shorter ban list ever etc..)

Anyways let's see if the new unban will lead to something.
    Team Stimato

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    He told you a foil from Time Spiral was Summer?
    This man must be a Jedi.

not really someone worth listening to
    Jun 2006
    مجريط , Spain

The song remains the same: everybody is out there talking about the very same card all the time, about how it dominates the metagame, about how unfair it is. Some people say that it's not so dominant somewhere, some people tell them to shut the fuck up, all the Legacy-related articles consist in people bitching about how powerful a deck is, a few other talk about it being beatable but concede it will be banned. Repeat for two months. Then it gets banned and now everybody is dissappointed and talk about how unfair other shit had been before and wasn't banned. Gonna check out Mish Mash, maybe there's something yummy in the chicks thread.
    We tried to copy the Source, but then we realized we're spanish
    If my post results dumb or offensive, it's probably just me miserably failing at being ironic in a foreign language

So we're back to the Storm<CB/Fish<Gobs/Zoo<Storm meta then i guess.
    Needs more goyfs.

To be honest I'm also getting tired of all the complaining in here. Get...over...it!

EDIT:
    So we're back to the Storm<CB/Fish<Gobs/Zoo<Storm meta then i guess.
    I think that's a good thing.

I'm not that disappointed, as this decision has been predicted for quite a while.

However, I AM disappointed that Wizards didn't throw us a bigger bone though. Banning Survival killed 5~6 viable decks in the format, one would think that they could at least unban a few more cards to open up space for deck design. Unbanning TS is simply not enough, as it won't do much of anything.

I think at this point, I want DCI to just unban as many cards as possible, and let the metagame work itself out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dia_Bot View Post
    To be honest I'm also getting tired of all the complaining in here. Get...over...it!
    Feel free to leave, door is dataway ------------------->

Thread Information