Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: [Deck] Tempo Faeries

Re: [Deck] Tempo Faeries

I think it has been a thing since the deck was created. Most people I've talked to agree that is a solid tier 2 deck, albeit an unpopular one.

I really want to thank Jona for this thread though. I recently got into legacy, and I love playing this deck. My playgroup runs RUG thresh, BUG cascade, Death and Taxes, white weenie, and ANT. This deck has been holding its own against them.

My current decklist runs
    //19 land//
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Blood Crypt (soon to be replaced with Badlands)
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Wastelands
    2 Island
    1 Swamp

//10 Creatures//
    4 Spellstutter Sprites
    3 Vendilion Clique
    3 Tombstalker

//4 Enchantmentt//
    4 Bitterblossom

//27 Instants & Sorceries//
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    4 Stifle
    2 Spell Snare
    1 Spell Pierce
    2 Cabal Therapy
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Go for the Throat
    1 Doomblade

//Sideboard//
    3 Relic of Progenitus
    3 Engineered Explosives
    2 Extripate
    1 Surgical Extration
    3 Firespout
    3 Lightning Bolt

Most of the feedback I've gotten was to maybe include the 20th land, and play 2 hymns in place of Inquisition. Maybe change my removal to include Smother or Ghastly Demise.

I am also really tempted to give the green splash a second look. Abrupt Decay is really good, and it gets rid of a lot problem cards like engineered plague and Liliana. The green splash also gives access to deathrite shaman which I think could fill in the role of Jitte very well. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Quzu View Post
    I think it has been a thing since the deck was created. Most people I've talked to agree that is a solid tier 2 deck, albeit an unpopular one.

I really want to thank Jona for this thread though. I recently got into legacy, and I love playing this deck. My playgroup runs RUG thresh, BUG cascade, Death and Taxes, white weenie, and ANT. This deck has been holding its own against them.

My current decklist runs
    //19 land//
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Blood Crypt (soon to be replaced with Badlands)
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Wastelands
    2 Island
    1 Swamp

//10 Creatures//
    4 Spellstutter Sprites
    3 Vendilion Clique
    3 Tombstalker

//4 Enchantmentt//
    4 Bitterblossom

//27 Instants & Sorceries//
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    4 Stifle
    2 Spell Snare
    1 Spell Pierce
    2 Cabal Therapy
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Go for the Throat
    1 Doomblade

//Sideboard//
    3 Relic of Progenitus
    3 Engineered Explosives
    2 Extripate
    1 Surgical Extration
    3 Firespout
    3 Lightning Bolt

Most of the feedback I've gotten was to maybe include the 20th land, and play 2 hymns in place of Inquisition. Maybe change my removal to include Smother or Ghastly Demise.

I am also really tempted to give the green splash a second look. Abrupt Decay is really good, and it gets rid of a lot problem cards like engineered plague and Liliana. The green splash also gives access to deathrite shaman which I think could fill in the role of Jitte very well. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
    if u splash red, have u tried terminate over doomblade?

I definitely want to try it, but I don't own any. That is my list as is, but I haven't run into too much trouble with creature removal. I mentioned abrupt decay mainly to deal with Liliana and engineered plague, and to be creature removal too when I needed it to be.

Next time I play, I'll probably play
    -2 spell snares
    -1 spell pierce
    -1 vendilion clique

+4 lightning bolts

Just to see if I like it better. Also borrowing some hymns from a friend to see how they run instead of Inquisition of Kozilek.

Lurker
    May 2007
    Berkeley, CA

Necro'd.

1) A recent take on this deck won a 167-person event:
    http://mtgdecks.net/decks/view/87367

The above list looked sweet to me. You get to Green Sun for Edric to make Bitterblossom just rad. You can reset Reclamation Sage, V.Clique or Spellstutter Sprite via Quickling. And it affords way more style-points than Team America or Shardless builds.

-

2) I tweaked the above list (wasn't hyped on Dimir Charm or Faeries that cost four mana) and took the following version to my local $5 four-round event:

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Spellstutter Sprite
    2 Scryb Ranger
    2 Quickling
    3 Vendilion Clique
    1 Edric, Spymaster
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Dryad Arbor

2 Spell Pierce
    4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Abrupt Decay
    3 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Sylvan Library
    3 Bitterblossom
    1 Umezawa's jitte

2 Mutavault
    1 Island
    1 Forest

3 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Bayou
    4 Mistry Rainforest
    3 Polluted Delta
    2 Verdant Catacombs

Round one against my guy Adam with Death & Taxes: I had fast Bitterblossoms and drew lots of Spellstutter Sprites. They did god-like things like counter Flickerwisp and the 3/4 catboss legend. Quickling reset my Reclamation Sage mid combat, that was sweet. I don't remember precisely why this match got long but I do remember playing imperfectly. It ended in a draw.

Round two against Aluren: I have endless counters for his Recruiters (note that Bitterblossom is tribal and thus it + token + Spellstutter = legit counter for 3c on turn 3) and although he stalls me with Orzhov Pontiff I am able to grind through and get this 2-0.

Round three against URbg Pyromancer: he makes lots of tokens, counters three Brainstorms from me and Dazes my Bitterblossom, and also has multiple Forked Bolts. I had to flash out a V.Clique as a blocker just to kill a Pyromancer, life sux. I fall to 1-1-1, then we play a third game just for funsies, which I squeak out by containing his initial onslaught, then having two Blue Elemental Blasts for his two Forked Bolts, and casting Spellstutter Sprite on his Git. Probe to make sure he can't claw back in.

Round four against Sneak & Show: he goes off god-like and I just don't have enough super-relevant hate to make him care. Like I board out Abrupt Decay and Jitte and slow stuff and bring in Flusterstorm and Spell Pierce and Pithing Needle and Blue Blast but it doesn't matter Emrakul just crushes me. We even play a third game and it's the same. I hate this matchup but the opponent, Jesko, was turbo-nice and I couldn't stay mad at him.

-

3) Where to go from here? The deck is too fun not to tweak and try to improve.

I don't find the Mutavaults terribly exciting. I get that they have the potential to make Spellstutter better and/or maintain pressure against sorcery-speed removal and unguarded planeswalkers, but I think Wasteland randomly punishing opponents who are land-light and dealing with Karakas (which jams up V.Clique and Edric) and other annoying stuff (Tabernacle could be a problem and my Pyromancer opponent vowed to bring Lands next week) is probably just better.

Quickling often felt more cute than good; it's pretty situational. There's a temptation to just put more utility or beatdown in that slot. 4x Thoughtseize seems a more appealing sideboard option than more Spell Pierces and junk. So I dunno. Stifle could be cute, but the deck's clock isn't insane, so I'm not sold on that route either.

Thoughts?
    "It possesses no intelligence, only counter-intelligence."

Jul 2009
    Durham, NC, USA

Quote Originally Posted by danpo View Post
    Necro'd.
    Quite.

I like the list a lot, though, and Quickling is pretty tight. Thanks for sharing it, and the great report!

Something I did want to point out, though, in case you or others maybe missed it:

Quote Originally Posted by danpo View Post
    Aluren: I have endless counters for his Recruiters (note that Bitterblossom is tribal and thus it + token + Spellstutter = legit counter for 3c on turn 3)...
    Not only does that work perfectly to hard counter his 3-drop, you don't even need to pay any mana for the Spellstutter Sprite! Like Dream Halls, Aluren affects both players. "Nice Aluren, man. Too bad about your Recruiter getting countered." Plus you can Quickling the Sprite back for free and cast it again for free (to counter a 4-or-less-drop this time).

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Isn't Goyf just better than Quickling in this deck? Being able to draw 7 copies of Goyfs sounds really exciting. Also, with all the ramp available in that deck, Daze/Wastes sounds phenomenal.
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

It looks sweet to Quickling back a Spellstutter, but I think this deck really wants a Scavenging Ooze to Zenith for. That said, I really like the promise of Edric and Bitterblossom representing a way to keep up with the card advantage of Treasure Cruise. If the format devolves into pure card advantage races, I think this could be a reasonable approach. It's a little rough to be so vulnerable to -1/-1 effects, but there's still a lot of potential here. I don't have the time or opportunity to jam enough games to feel comfortable bringing this to GP NJ, but you can bet I'll be trying this at my next weekly. This deck is exciting in a way that I haven't seen in a while.

Lurker
    May 2007
    Berkeley, CA

Yeahhh! Glad to get someone else psyched on Legacy Faeries in 2014.

It's true, there are times where you're holding Quickling and just want a body and instead the card basically amounts to a situational instant that you just have to sit there and hate.

Scavenging Ooze is indeed tempting with the Green Sun package, but you already have DRS helping hate the graveyard, and I feel like Ooze is less impressive when you don't make heaps of green mana. I'm also not jazzed on going with a Daze/tempo-type package, because this deck's clock is not blazing fast. Maybe I'm wrong though: stub the other guy's toe with a well-placed Stifle and by the time he's back in maybe you're dominating the board with a squadron from Bitterblossom. I guess if that's your argument then the question becomes, why not play the full 4x Bitterblossom? I'm just free-styling here.

Anyway I hate to be the guy lobbying for a more predictable BUG build because, as I said a few posts up, I think this package offers crazy style points over Shardless and Team America and whatnot. That said, my temptation is to shore up the disruption package with some kind of hand-hate somewhere in the 75 (not sure it's 4x Thoughtseize though, because Bitterblossom DOES kill you).

I had daydreamed about Tarmogoyf taking over the Quickling slot (pros: less susceptible to Golgari Charm/Zealous Persecution; blocks Tarmogoyf. Cons: is not a faerie; is negative style points) but a more ambitious experiment I'm leaning toward is Spell Snare. It hits both the -1/-1 effects I mentioned and opposing Goyfs, and is also relevant against Infernal Tutor and Burning Wish and Stoneforge and Pyromancer and a lot of other annoying stuff in my meta. If it could also bone Sneak-and-Show it would've been the first thing I mentioned in this post, really. I guess it's cool to take advantage of so much of the deck having flash by leaving mana open for counters.

Hey, also: the sideboard I played last week was a total pile of cards and needs help. My meta has a disproportionate amount of Maverick/Death&Taxes, Storm, Sneak&Show and a few tempo players and occasional goofy combos like Food Chain, Aluren, etc. Thoughts?
    "It possesses no intelligence, only counter-intelligence."

Hey guys=)

I came across some threads in the forum and this seems to be the "official" one (even though it has been inactive for some time).

Does still anybody play faeries these days? I didn't find that much content so far but I would be very interested in building a fae deck (maybe with Delver, mayber a Standstill or even a BUG build).

Kind regards

[Deck] BUG Faeries

Some time ago I fell in love with BUG Faeries, so with the appearance of Leovold (colleague of Edric), I thought it's the right time to let them fly again - elves are faeries without wings in the end.
    After the BUG Nemesis hype some Merfolk Rogues found their way into the swarm - I could swear TNN has wings.

Anyways, here is the list I won a small local tournament with 27 participants.

http://tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=22106&iddeck=170193

1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Edric, Spymaster of Trest
    1 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Sower of Temptation
    2 Scryb Ranger
    2 Vendilion Clique
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Spellstutter Sprite

2 Daze
    3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will

3 Green Sun's Zenith

2 Bitterblossom

1 Umezawa's Jitte

1 Forest
    1 Swamp
    2 Bayou
    2 Island
    2 Mutavault
    2 Underground Sea
    3 Tropical Island
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta

[Sideboard]
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Glissa, the Traitor
    1 Garruk Relentless
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Diabolic Edict
    1 Submerge
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Flusterstorm
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Sword of Feast and Famine

Where to go from here...

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

I'm on-board with you in terms of running a Delver-less BUG aggro-control deck that plays the most absurdly pushed creature in recent history (Leovold), and I can see the potential in playing a mixture of cards that take advantage of Spellstutter Sprite.

While it's hard to argue with results, I was wondering about a few things:
    1. Did you feel like the GSZ + utility creature package was worthwhile? Or do you suppose a more streamlined configuration might work better?
    2. Did you like running 2 Daze without Wasteland? I usually feel like Daze is an 'all or nothing' sort of card, and if there's not a commitment to it, it seems like it's usually better to just run an alternative.
    3. Is there a reason you're not running Jace TMS somewhere in the 75? Seems like he'd be a perfect fit.

edit:

Here's what I would start out testing with:
    20 lands (9 fetch, 4 Sea, 2 Trop, 1 Bayou, 4 Waste)
    4 DRS
    4 Spellstutter Sprite
    3 TNN
    2 Leovold
    1 VClique
    2 Bitterblossom
    2 Jace, TMS
    4 FoW
    4 Daze
    4 Bstorm
    3 ADecay
    3 FPush
    3 Ponder
    1 UJitte

SB:
    2 PNeedle
    1 UJitte
    1 Liliana otV
    2 Surg. Extraction
    1 G. Cage
    2 Invas. Surgery
    2 Marsh Casualties
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Diabolic Edict

It's basically Team America that tweaks a few numbers and drops Goyfs and Hymns in exchange for Sprites, Jace and Blossom.

I am not necessarily sold entirely on this approach, as Hymn is incredibly powerful on its own, same with Tarmogoyf. Whereas the Fae cards sort of require some situational gamestates to be a lot better. I suppose it largely depends on what you end up facing. But I do agree that a BUG Aggro tempo deck doesn't really need to play Delver of Secrets anymore thanks to the absurdity of Leovold (and Fatal Push, to a lesser extent).
    Last edited by wcm8; 02-14-2017 at 02:29 PM.

I really love the GSZ toolbox and think that's what makes this BUG list hot and spicy.
    Fetch the Leovold, Edric for cardadvantage (if you have some boardpresents), main R.Sage, Scryb Ranger against Delver and block-bounce with Dryad Arbor. Glissa and S.Ooze from the board :)

The original list played 2 Spell Pierce, but i wanted more "free counter" and I already tested cutting 2 basics for 2 Wastelands.
    I love to hit my opponent "out of the blue" and if they saw the Daze they play around it in fear. A friend of mine even promotes to play 1 ofs Spell Pierce, Daze, Spell Snare and Counterspell. Spellstutter Sprite with Bitterblossom or Mutavault are "Counterspells" too.

Properply I should play a Jace in the main, as another "win-option" and "creature-removal". Just got one and have to find a spot in the main.

Still not sure what to play at the next eternal weekend, maybe i bring the swarm to paris..

Re: [Deck] BUG Faeries

A new article on Channel Fireball about BUG Faeries
    https://www.channelfireball.com/arti...aeries-legacy/
    Congrats to HJ_KAISER for the win :)

*Necro the Thread*

Hey Guys we try to make BUG Faeries playable for us and sadly there are no recent results. So i tried to come up with a playable list. Atm its pretty raw and untested. What do you guys think? I tried to take a more Bug Delver style approach.

3 Underground Sea
    3 Tropical Island
    1 Cavern of Souls
    1 Pendlehaven
    3 Wasteland
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Misty Rainforest

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Spellstutter Sprite
    3 Scion of Oona
    2 Scryb Ranger
    2 Vendilion Clique
    1 Mistbind Clique

4 Bitterblossom
    2 Umezawa's Jitte

4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Abrupt Decay
    4 Daze
    2 Fatal Push
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Spellpierce

I have no Sideboard right now since i try to make the main playable it was not a high priority.

Thread Information