Page 184 of 197 FirstFirst ... 84134174180181182183184185186187188194 ... LastLast
Results 3,661 to 3,680 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

It was originally released in Alara, so it's likely been looked at before. I'm fairly certain that PnKN is a better fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

I didn't realize it was a reprint. I'm sure it's been looked at before, but not in this meta's context. You just lost your main way of dealing with Planeswalkers in a rules change, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    I didn't realize it was a reprint. I'm sure it's been looked at before, but not in this meta's context. You just lost your main way of dealing with Planeswalkers in a rules change, right?
    Yes, but as it turns out, its not too much harder to just kill the controller of the planeswalker. Not many planeswalkers see play in legacy, and Lilly and Jace are particularly bad at defending themselves against this decks threats.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Plus we got Sorcerous Spyglass.

bruizar

I'm testing Najeela, the blade-blossom instead of Goblin Rabblemaster. Maybe in conjunction with, since Rabblemaster is a Warrior too.

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    I'm testing Najeela, the blade-blossom instead of Goblin Rabblemaster. Maybe in conjunction with, since Rabblemaster is a Warrior too.
    ...Why?

Seriously, she brings nothing to the party.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by ZTurgeon View Post
    ...Why?

Seriously, she brings nothing to the party.
    Doesn't force you to attack with creatures, triggers on its own tokens so it has more inevitability.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Doesn't force you to attack with creatures, triggers on its own tokens so it has more inevitability.
    But you're forced to attack to get any tokens...

Isn't Hanweir Garrison better?

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    But you're forced to attack to get any tokens...

Isn't Hanweir Garrison better?
    She's better than Garrison. The Tokens trigger her as well. So she does spiral out of control quickly. For the ease of formatting, lets note the turn you play her as turn 1.

On Turn 1, She does 0 damage.
    On Turn 2, She does 4 damage.
    On Turn 3, She does 6 Damage.
    On Turn 4, She does 10 Damage.

With Garrison, it goes

On Turn 1, They do 0 damage.
    On Turn 2, They do 4 damage.
    On Turn 3, They do 6 Damage.
    On Turn 4, They do 8 Damage.

And Rabble goes

On Turn 1, He does 1 damage.
    On Turn 2, He does 6 damage.
    On Turn 3, He does 8 Damage.
    On Turn 4, He does 10 Damage.

So Rabble and Najeela technically kill on the same turn on a locked board. However, Rabble does much more of his damage up front. Additionally, You can double rabble to cut a turn off the clock and you cannot double Najeela. And with the high amount of baleful strix running around, Rabble seems much better.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by ZTurgeon View Post
    Rabble and Najeela technically kill on the same turn on a locked board. However, Rabble does much more of his damage up front. Additionally, You can double rabble to cut a turn off the clock and you cannot double Najeela. And with the high amount of baleful strix running around, Rabble seems much better.
    You can double Garrison as well, plus no worries about opposing Karakas if you're focused on damage instead of locks. And Garrison can profitably attack into creatures like Thalia, Guardian of Thraben.

Points noted (and appreciated ), but I think I'd still argue Garrison is better.

Hey folks,

I wrote my first (of three) articles on Red Prison. Many of these things might be obvious to you at this point, but this is what I've learned after a couple weeks of streaming with the deck.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

My concern with Karn builds is the impact on Chrome Mox (And the manabases in general, with the addition of Great Furnace). Getting Wasted off red seems rough.
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by bakofried View Post
    My concern with Karn builds is the impact on Chrome Mox (And the manabases in general, with the addition of Great Furnace). Getting Wasted off red seems rough.
    karn sux teferi rox. Said it immediately, and I'll say it again. Glorified grafted skullcap., not a specialized PW that addresses actual problems. the only deck that could use it profitably is mud imo...

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

"Not a specialized PW that address actual problems"

He's an easy to cast Walker that lets us dig for cards and close a game. That's better than the slot used on Hazoret (where mine goes) and likely better than the second Pia and Kiran Nalaar.

Also, thank you for using my question about mana stability to plug an "I told you so" that isn't borne out by results.
    -ktkenshinx-

Quote Originally Posted by bakofried View Post
    It's come up a few times, but not as frequently as you might think. Since Blood Moon effects prevent it from being Wastelanded, there's a small window where it's usually vulnerable. I've had it Abraded/Ancient Grudge a few times as well, which is annoying.

Yeah, it's real unlikely for Great Furnace to have a real downside. If you have a blood moon in play, then wasteland doesn't do it. If you don't have one in play, then it's unlikely to be targeted over the much juicier target of sol lands.

Apr 2018
    France

Has anyone thought of bottled cloister ?
    It's a nice draw engine (bit weird with Hazoreth for sure) and allows you to keep ensnaring bridge active. As you usually "vomit" your hand, I think the risk to have your whole hand exiled is not very relevant no ?

Quote Originally Posted by Medea_ View Post
    It's come up a few times, but not as frequently as you might think. Since Blood Moon effects prevent it from being Wastelanded, there's a small window where it's usually vulnerable. I've had it Abraded/Ancient Grudge a few times as well, which is annoying.
    Disagree. If you need to lay a basic into a sol-land (T1 Mountain, T2 Tomb/City) then Furnace gets you timewalked really hard. I really can't imagine Furnace being anything other than a liability; into Price of Progress as well, yikes. And that's coming from my deck - my top end is CMC 3, and I don't understand how you can manage to hit CMC 4 if you run 4 fewer basics against Wasteland. Hitting 4 mana is a big concern for Bridge builds. It's no Island, but IMO Mountain really is a champ in this deck.
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."
    Drunken Master strategy. If I don't know what I'm doing, how would you?

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Quote Originally Posted by frogger42 View Post
    Disagree. If you need to lay a basic into a sol-land (T1 Mountain, T2 Tomb/City) then Furnace gets you timewalked really hard. I really can't imagine Furnace being anything other than a liability; into Price of Progress as well, yikes. And that's coming from my deck - my top end is CMC 3, and I don't understand how you can manage to hit CMC 4 if you run 4 fewer basics against Wasteland. Hitting 4 mana is a big concern for Bridge builds. It's no Island, but IMO Mountain really is a champ in this deck.
    Maybe I'm playing this wrong, but I tend to keep hands that can play a lock piece turn 2, and those hands all lead on basic mountain.
    -ktkenshinx-

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by frogger42 View Post
    Playing Great Furnace isn't drastically different than running Cavern of Souls... and versions of this deck successfully play 3-4 of those. Not looking to imply that criticism of Great Furnace isn't warranted, just that certain shells are willing to accept the downsides in order to reap the benefits.

Thread Information