Page 186 of 197 FirstFirst ... 86136176182183184185186187188189190196 ... LastLast
Results 3,701 to 3,720 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

bruizar

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by ZTurgeon View Post
    She's better than Garrison. The Tokens trigger her as well. So she does spiral out of control quickly. For the ease of formatting, lets note the turn you play her as turn 1.

On Turn 1, She does 0 damage.
    On Turn 2, She does 4 damage.
    On Turn 3, She does 6 Damage.
    On Turn 4, She does 10 Damage.

With Garrison, it goes

On Turn 1, They do 0 damage.
    On Turn 2, They do 4 damage.
    On Turn 3, They do 6 Damage.
    On Turn 4, They do 8 Damage.

And Rabble goes

On Turn 1, He does 1 damage.
    On Turn 2, He does 6 damage.
    On Turn 3, He does 8 Damage.
    On Turn 4, He does 10 Damage.

So Rabble and Najeela technically kill on the same turn on a locked board. However, Rabble does much more of his damage up front. Additionally, You can double rabble to cut a turn off the clock and you cannot double Najeela. And with the high amount of baleful strix running around, Rabble seems much better.

What I like about Najeela is the ability to work with warrrior synergies, and the fact that the warriors aren't forced to attack. So you can send a Mutavault or a Ghitu Encampment (this is a warrior too) and get an extra token for it. I'm still exploring whether there exists other warriors (in red) that are any good. I like Blood Chin Rager, but it's black and doesn't lock out the opponent or further the plan unfortunately. Maybe goblin chainwhirler. I doubt there is an easy way to generate 5 colored mana. Rabblemaster may end up being the better card, but there is a lot of design space to cover with Najeela. One advantage is that Najeela creates white warrior tokens that do not receive -1/-1 from Holy Light which is used in DNT/Soldier Stompy sideboards for instance. Very corner case, but I believe magic is a game where the inches make the difference between winning and losing.
    Last edited by bruizar; 06-13-2018 at 05:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    I believe magic is a game where the inches make the difference between winning and losing.
    Hi Bruizar!
    I think this is absolutely true. In context of the current builds of this deck, though, I feel like Blood Moon, Chalice and Ensnaring Bridge are all trying to win by miles. Either they win outright, or they miss the mark... by miles. These lock pieces all look to generate massive card advantage immediately and throughout the game to win. I think decks like Czech Pile and other decks of incremental advantage (Strix, Snapcaster, cantrips + fetches, etc.) try to win more by adding up those inches bit by bit.

My end thought here is that I think the creature version of Dragon Stompy is more about winning by these increments (after the lock pieces get Forced). That's kind of how a lot of my games end up going, is by landing a lock piece, or winning through combat with weenies. Maybe that'd be a build and playstyle you'd more want to try. Just a thought.
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."
    Drunken Master strategy. If I don't know what I'm doing, how would you?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

What does everyone think about new Sarkhan?
    I do not see him slotting into the currently popular and successful build of this deck, but he could be a new ham sandwich used to eventually kill the opponent once locks are established...

Perhaps a replacement for Tuktuk Scrapper in Moggcatcher builds?

Re: [DTB] Dragon Stompy

No more DRS or probes

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    I do not see him slotting into the currently popular and successful build of this deck, but he could be a new ham sandwich used to eventually kill the opponent once locks are established...
    I don't think he's very good in DS.
    First ability...sucks. Needs a card in hand to pitch.
    Second ability...sucks. Needs lots of dragons in the deck.
    Ultimate...not gonna happen. Needs tons of support. It's better to play cards that can win the game without lock pieces landing.

I might grab a copy for EDH, but that's about it.
    Goblin Trashmaster

Perhaps a replacement for Tuktuk Scrapper in Moggcatcher builds?
    Most likely 100% replaces scrapper. Gives both more flexibility and raw power.
    Quote Originally Posted by danpo View Post
    At minimum I'd say it outclasses Beetleback Chief.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Zupponn View Post
    Needs lots of dragons in the deck.
    I'm not saying we're there yet... but eventually we'll hit a critical mass were dragons will be playable in Dragon Stompy.

Demanding Dragon seems semi-playable. Add in Glorybringer and Thunderbreak Regent and there's a threat package with evasion, bulk, and built in removal.

Hell, at that point Dragonlord's Servant starts looking good. It curves into Sarkhan and has a body capable of protecting against attacks from early threats.

Or we take new Sarkahn, Daretti, Jaya and other dicard outlets and jam some Fiery Temper xD

Gesendet von meinem CS40 mit Tapatalk

eventually we'll hit a critical mass were dragons will be playable in Dragon Stompy.
    It's better to play cards that can win the game without lock pieces landing.
    = a Dragon like Thunderbreak Regent seems decent BUT does not fit or fix something. Personally i like

or or
    a lot more than any Dragon. Why?
    It can do stuff under Ensnaring Bridge and *kill something if you have to + easier to cast.
    (*Gaddock Teeg, Sanctum Prelate etc)

Pia and Kiran Nalaar > Thunderbreak Regent > 5 mana Dragon

Maybe playable in Modern.
    Last edited by Wichtelman; 07-09-2018 at 09:28 AM.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Wichtelman View Post
    It can do stuff under Ensnaring Bridge and kill something if you have to + easier to cast.
    (Pia and Kiran Nalaar > Thunderbreak Regent > 5 mana Dragon)
    Well, you wouldn't be running bridges with those dragons. You'd go with a more traditional aggressive style of DS.
    Quote Originally Posted by danpo View Post
    At minimum I'd say it outclasses Beetleback Chief.

Well, you wouldn't be running bridges with those dragons. You'd go with a more traditional aggressive style of DS.
    Good Luck beating Stoneforge, True-Name Nemesis, Griselbrand, Daze and Company.

Already tried it in tournament play...

Quote Originally Posted by Zupponn View Post
    Its just not worth it.

Why play a 4/4 flying dragon, when you can play Karn and make a 4/4 ground robot, and keep a karn around. Or play a Chandra, kill their threat, and have a Chandra on the table.

If you want to play Sarkhan, I would advise just having his mana mode be blank. Don't play bad cards to make other cards better. This is how you fall into the trap of equipment and other cards that don't do enough. We have good midrange cards now in red. We don't need to try to piece together ways to win anymore.

Now that this archetype has a version that is considered DTB, I'm wondering how that affects discussion in this thread.

For example, I wanted someone to share a "current" version with the Moggcatcher Goblin toolbox approach. Is that cool or do we create a separate thread in new & developing called "Goblin Prison Stompy"?

I really do want to see a list (preferably with Goblin Trashmaster).

Thanks!
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

I like the new gobo lord from Core19, castable and very relevant abilities. In a Catcher package I run: kiki, settler, SGC, Redcap(should change with the ban) stingscourger

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jandax View Post
    I like the new gobo lord from Core19, castable and very relevant abilities. In a Catcher package I run: kiki, settler, SGC, Redcap(should change with the ban) stingscourger

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Hi i am also interested on a list

Feb 2008
    Breda Area, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Octopusman View Post
    Now that this archetype has a version that is considered DTB, I'm wondering how that affects discussion in this thread.

For example, I wanted someone to share a "current" version with the Moggcatcher Goblin toolbox approach. Is that cool or do we create a separate thread in new & developing called "Goblin Prison Stompy"?

I really do want to see a list (preferably with Goblin Trashmaster).

Thanks!
    I doubt that is needed (at least for me it isn't).
    I still find it hard to believe that a "Meta deck" can be a deck to beat. Contradictio in terminis, seems the meta doesn't know how to adjust.

Before miracles cards were printed and DRS was but a twinkle in R&D's eye, the control deck of the format was Landstill, and many variations of it. Well, it's nemesis was Dragon Stompy. The old aggro version with arc sloggers and rakdos pit dragons. It was a tiered list, and probably will be until the format is on solid ground again. It's not like you have terrible matchups with most of the decks that are speculated to be tier 1 currently.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

I, like many of you, have become interested in Mogg Stompy since the recent banning announcement. Having a few new goblins get printed also didn't hurt...
    SCG is coming to Philly next weekend and I'm interested in putting some wear on my Moggcatchers.

4 Blood Moon
    3 Magus of the Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Trinisphere

4 Moggcatcher
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    2 Siege-Gang Commander
    1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
    1 Goblin Chainwhirler
    1 Goblin Trashmaster
    1 Goblin Settler

4 Abrade
    2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance

11 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

This list is just a launching point to get a conversation going. So tell me how wrong it is and suggest changes!
    I really like Abrade right now and am fairly set on running 4 in the main deck. That might be reason enough to throw Trashmaster in the sideboard, but he is also a lord that shrugs off Pyroclasm...

What do you say people??

I, like many of you, have become interested in Mogg Stompy since the recent banning announcement. Having a few new goblins get printed also didn't hurt...
    SCG is coming to Philly next weekend and I'm interested in putting some wear on my Moggcatchers.

4 Blood Moon
    3 Magus of the Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Trinisphere

4 Moggcatcher
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    2 Siege-Gang Commander
    1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
    1 Goblin Chainwhirler
    1 Goblin Trashmaster
    1 Goblin Settler

4 Abrade
    2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance

11 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

This list is just a launching point to get a conversation going. So tell me how wrong it is and suggest changes!
    I really like Abrade right now and am fairly set on running 4 in the main deck. That might be reason enough to throw Trashmaster in the sideboard, but he is also a lord that shrugs off Pyroclasm...

What do you say people??
    I would drop a sgc for a lightning crafter. That plus Kiki plus trashaman is infinite. I think it's one of the only reasons to play moggcatcher over the standard list

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    I would drop a sgc for a lightning crafter. That plus Kiki plus trashaman is infinite.
    Infinite only if there are infinite artifacts for trashman to target, right?

Thread Information