Page 179 of 197 FirstFirst ... 79129169175176177178179180181182183189 ... LastLast
Results 3,561 to 3,580 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Jul 2017
    Newfoundland, Canada

Re: [DTB] Dragon Stompy

I would have posted this last night but it was 11:30pm by the time I got home so I wanted to sleep.

Played the list I posted last night at my LGS. I didn't take notes for my SB so I'm trying to go from memory here.

Round 1 vs Maverick

Game 1 - locked him out with Trinisphere and Magus - started the slow burn with Chandra and top deck Fiery. He eventually gets around it with DRS, lands Mother of Runes, I bate him by targeting Mom with Chandra and then cast a second one to get rid of DRS. This is where I go wrong, he lands Knight - kills Chandra. Gets a bunch of counters on Knight and smashes me in the face. Very long grindy game.

Out 2 Rabblemaster, In 2 Trinisphere

Game 2 - Opponent scoops after I land Ensnaring Bridge on Turn 3

Game 3 - Opponent mulls to 3 trying to find basics. Turn on Magus followed by Hazoret beat down/burn ftw.

Round 2 vs Wish Fins

Game 1&2 - the deck just said nope and gave me the most horrible draws, Chrome Moxes and lands - nothing else.

Round 3 vs Burn (was not looking forward to this match but it wasn't that bad)

Game 1 Chalice on 1 on the play. Beat face with Rabblemaster + tokens and Magus.

Out 2 Chrome Mox, In 2 Trinisphere

Game 2 I establed a board but Smash to Smithereens took out Chalice and I died to Eidolon grinding me down and Fireblast sealed the deal.

Game 3 stick Chalice and Trinisphere, Chalice is blown up so I replace it. Hit with Rabblemaster and a couple tokens which get dealt with. Land Chandra, opp has double Eidolon - drop a bridge and grind to the win with Chandra (1 life when I won lol)

Round 4 vs Lands (again not looking forward to this match - my opponent usually wins every week).

Game 1, turn one Sol Land followed by turn 2 Blood Moon. Second I played a basic Mountain on turn 2 I heard, please don't play Blood Moon. Opponent scoops.

Game 2, this was the longest game in a while and I thought I was done. Established a lock with Chalice on 1, Blood Moon and Trinisphere. Moon get gripped and I drop Bridge. Opponent constantly cycling through his deck with Loam and Tireless Tracker. I land Chandra and he play Glacial Chasms to shut her off. I land 2 more Chalices, one on zero to turn off more Moxes and on 2 to shut off Loam. He makes a Merit Lage but with no way to remove my bridge he ends up sac'ing it (Tabernacle up keep). I finally land a Magus again and opponent concedes.

All in all, I'm very impressed with the deck but I want to make some changes.

First, Chrome Mox was a bad top deck so I'm thinking about taking some number out.
    I'd like to try some number of Blood Sun.
    Side board, Boil and Null Rod are likely going. I'm thinking about trying some Eidolon of the Great Revel in their and some Abrade.
    Play All The Decks!

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Glad you had fun with the deck!

I'm surprised your Lands opponent didn't realize, but Tabernacle is a destroy effect... And Marit Lage is indestructible... so he can skip that trigger all day long without losing his token.

Also, I encourage you to reconsider your decision to shave Chrome Moxen from the deck.

he ends up sac'ing it (Tabernacle up keep).

It's destroy, not sacrifice and it is indestructible. Did the lands player really not know that?

Hey all,

It's been a couple of months since I posted here, I'm planning on taking my version of stompy to GP Birmingham in May.

It's similar to the list I posted 20(ish) pages back haha. I can post it up here to save you all searching.

It runs 3 walking ballista (Used to run 4) and has some spicy cards in the SB. I haven't added any of the new cards people are playing (blood sun and beserker to name a couple).

Jul 2017
    Newfoundland, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Glad you had fun with the deck!

I'm surprised your Lands opponent didn't realize, but Tabernacle is a destroy effect... And Marit Lage is indestructible... so he can skip that trigger all day long without losing his token.

Also, I encourage you to reconsider your decision to shave Chrome Moxen from the deck.
    Check the next quote re: Tabernacle.

I'm going to shave one and add another Trinisphere main deck. I like the card but the game against Wish Fins just made me super sour but I'm over it now. I know there's going to be times the deck just doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by useL View Post
    he ends up sac'ing it (Tabernacle up keep).

It's destroy, not sacrifice and it is indestructible. Did the lands player really not know that?
    He must as he's a good player usually but we both missed some triggers by that point in the game - there was a lot going on plus it was 10 at night now so I'm sure we were both tired.

Going to try some changes to the sideboard and see how that works. I'll post my findings once I get some testing in.
    Play All The Decks!

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Anyone have an opinion on Goblin Chainwhirler in Moggcatcher builds? His casting cost makes him as difficult to actually cast as Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker, so I can't picture him as anything more than a 1-of or sideboard card... Card is definitely pushed, but I'm not entirely sold on it's value in the deck.

Jan 2013
    Land of Snow and Purple Rain

Anyone have an opinion on Goblin Chainwhirler in Moggcatcher builds? His casting cost makes him as difficult to actually cast as Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker, so I can't picture him as anything more than a 1-of or sideboard card... Card is definitely pushed, but I'm not entirely sold on it's value in the deck.

Not sure it's worth the extra death and taxes help.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwathnar View Post
    I would have posted this last night but it was 11:30pm by the time I got home so I wanted to sleep.

Played the list I posted last night at my LGS. I didn't take notes for my SB so I'm trying to go from memory here.

Round 1 vs Maverick

Game 1 - locked him out with Trinisphere and Magus - started the slow burn with Chandra and top deck Fiery. He eventually gets around it with DRS, lands Mother of Runes, I bate him by targeting Mom with Chandra and then cast a second one to get rid of DRS. This is where I go wrong, he lands Knight - kills Chandra. Gets a bunch of counters on Knight and smashes me in the face. Very long grindy game.

Out 2 Rabblemaster, In 2 Trinisphere

Game 2 - Opponent scoops after I land Ensnaring Bridge on Turn 3

Game 3 - Opponent mulls to 3 trying to find basics. Turn on Magus followed by Hazoret beat down/burn ftw.

Round 2 vs Wish Fins

Game 1&2 - the deck just said nope and gave me the most horrible draws, Chrome Moxes and lands - nothing else.

Round 3 vs Burn (was not looking forward to this match but it wasn't that bad)

Game 1 Chalice on 1 on the play. Beat face with Rabblemaster + tokens and Magus.

Out 2 Chrome Mox, In 2 Trinisphere

Game 2 I establed a board but Smash to Smithereens took out Chalice and I died to Eidolon grinding me down and Fireblast sealed the deal.

Game 3 stick Chalice and Trinisphere, Chalice is blown up so I replace it. Hit with Rabblemaster and a couple tokens which get dealt with. Land Chandra, opp has double Eidolon - drop a bridge and grind to the win with Chandra (1 life when I won lol)

Round 4 vs Lands (again not looking forward to this match - my opponent usually wins every week).

Game 1, turn one Sol Land followed by turn 2 Blood Moon. Second I played a basic Mountain on turn 2 I heard, please don't play Blood Moon. Opponent scoops.

Game 2, this was the longest game in a while and I thought I was done. Established a lock with Chalice on 1, Blood Moon and Trinisphere. Moon get gripped and I drop Bridge. Opponent constantly cycling through his deck with Loam and Tireless Tracker. I land Chandra and he play Glacial Chasms to shut her off. I land 2 more Chalices, one on zero to turn off more Moxes and on 2 to shut off Loam. He makes a Merit Lage but with no way to remove my bridge he ends up sac'ing it (Tabernacle up keep). I finally land a Magus again and opponent concedes.

All in all, I'm very impressed with the deck but I want to make some changes.

First, Chrome Mox was a bad top deck so I'm thinking about taking some number out.
    I'd like to try some number of Blood Sun.
    Side board, Boil and Null Rod are likely going. I'm thinking about trying some Eidolon of the Great Revel in their and some Abrade.
    Don't cut Chrome Mox. The reason people run 4 is because they won't let us run 12. The card is what the deck wants to do. It is a bad top deck, and you just side 1-2 out in matchups where that would matter (mostly pile and miracles) but otherwise that card leads to the most busted openings, which is what the deck's bread and butter is.

Quick report. I went 4-1 twice on a whim to test out something new.

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    6 Mountain
    5 Snow-Covered Mountain

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere

4 Blood Moon
    4 Blood Sun

4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar

3 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    3 Fiery Confluence
    3 Karn, Scion of Urza

SB:
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Scab-Clan Berserker
    2 Sulfur Elemental
    2 Volcanic Fallout
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Quicksmith Rebel

Before you ask, yes Karn was amazing. Aside from the weird nonbos with Bridge, it drew me multiple cards and pooped out giant tokens. Notably, it finally did something that I had trouble with before, which was brickwall Gurmag Anglers.

W v Czech Pile
    W v BR Reanimator
    W v Unknown deck (If you know what Volcanic Island into Scrubland Stoneforge Mystic is, please share with the class)
    L v BR Reanimator
    W v Red Prison

W v Miracles
    W v Unknown deck (Opponent conceded to back to back turn 1 Chalice on 1. I suspect Grixis Delver)
    L v Miracles
    W v Grixis Delver
    W v Czech Pile

Matchups where Karn showed up and smashed face was the first Miracles opponent, and both Pile opponents. Both times they had to burn a lot to get through to Karn in order to deal with it.

Also, started shaving Confluences after the nerf. There aren't too many matchups where I want it anymore since the DnT community is starting to become divisive over whether or not SFM is good in the deck or not. As such, fewer equipment. Chandra was cut to try out 3 Karns, so I could get a better idea for how it works in the deck.

Feb 2008
    Breda Area, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by piroko139 View Post

Before you ask, yes Karn was amazing. Aside from the weird nonbos with Bridge, it drew me multiple cards and pooped out giant tokens. Notably, it finally did something that I had trouble with before, which was brickwall Gurmag Anglers.

Matchups where Karn showed up and smashed face was the first Miracles opponent, and both Pile opponents. Both times they had to burn a lot to get through to Karn in order to deal with it.

Also, started shaving Confluences after the nerf. There aren't too many matchups where I want it anymore since the DnT community is starting to become divisive over whether or not SFM is good in the deck or not. As such, fewer equipment. Chandra was cut to try out 3 Karns, so I could get a better idea for how it works in the deck.
    Karn seems like a cool option, which I thought was too weak, I was looking at Jaya as a new addition. Maybe have to look at Karn more closer (would be in a walker only build though with Burning Wishes)

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Jelmerz77 View Post
    Karn seems like a cool option, which I thought was too weak, I was looking at Jaya as a new addition. Maybe have to look at Karn more closer (would be in a walker only build though with Burning Wishes)
    I dismissed him too, but admittedly without too much thought.

piroko, how did Karn's dorks get big enough to compete with Anglers?

I dismissed him too, but admittedly without too much thought.

piroko, how did Karn's dorks get big enough to compete with Anglers?
    Wasn't difficult when there's several moxen, Chalice, Trinisphere, and the token itself. It was pretty trivial to get it that huge after a short while.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Played a local while I was on vacation. 20~ people just did 4 rounds and cut to top 4. Nothing really noteworthy and wasn't a good finish but still.

//Artifact
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Chrome Mox

//Creature
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    2 Hazoret the Fervent
    1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar

//Enchantment
    4 Blood Moon

//Land
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    11 Mountain
    1 Crystal Vein <- Only have 2 Cities. This is sometimes Forgotten Cave.

//Planeswalker
    4 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    1 Koth of the Hammer

//Sorcery
    4 Fiery Confluence
    2 Magma Jet

//Sideboard
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Sulfur Elemental
    1 Quicksmith Rebel
    3 Leyline of the Void
    2 Abrade
    1 Kozilek's Return
    2 Boil

R1 - vs. Team America(?)
    G1 - They rips my hand apart. Forces Blood Moon. I top deck another moon and win.
    G2 - They Wasteland a Tomb. Thoughtseize me. I top deck a moon and win.
    There were Confluences and Magma jets involved but landing a moon effect wins.
    2-0

R2 - vs. Turbo Depths
    G1 - Flying 20/20
    G2 - Get an Early Hazoret with haste. Fire off a Confluence and a Magma jet and get there before they can assemble anything.
    G3 - Flying 20/20
    As I was packing for my trip, i almost put in Dead/Gone... oops.
    1-2

R3 - vs. NicFit
    G1 - T1 Moon. They don't draw any basics before I hit Rabble Master and Chandra
    G2 - They Zenith around a bunch and blow my artifacts. Drop Sigarda and Thrun. I just lose after all that.
    G3 - I get Bridge T1. Koth T2. Hide behind a Bridge and Chalice as he hunts for Reclamation Sage, Witness it back, yadda yadda. i get a Moon which doesn't do much to them by now but I make a Koth emblem and burn all their creatures and then them. Boring but I drew 5 straight lands after the emblem hit.
    2-1

R4 - vs. DnT
    G1 - They get Flickerwisp with SoFI
    G2 - Rabble Rabble (that's 1 T1 and another T2)
    G3 - Can't get much going after a mulligan. I push out a Kozilek's Return too soon as I'm behind on board state. I get overrun.
    Never get any Sulfur Elementals.
    1-2

On Chrome Mox, I wouldn't ever cut it either. Obviously it leads to great T1 plays. Later, in my list, it feeds Chandra, Pia and Hazoret.

I want to try out going back to more Dragons and using Verix Bladewing, Thunderbreak and Thundermaw but we'll see.

Hey, got that 5-0 I was chasing.

For those that can't see the image for some reason

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Great Furnace
    4 Mountain
    3 Snow-Covered Mountain

4 Blood Moon
    4 Blood Sun

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Trinisphere
    4 Chalice of the Void

4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar

3 Fiery Confluence

3 Karn, Scion of Urza

SB:

4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Sulfur Elemental
    4 Scab-Clan Berserker
    2 Volcanic Fallout
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Quicksmith Rebel

W v BR Reanimator (2-1)
    W v Eldrazi Stompy (2-0)
    W v ANT (2-1)
    W v UR Delver (2-0)
    W v RUG Delver (2-1)

Not the most amazing league, but matchups where Karn was relevant were both Delver matchups and the Eldrazi matchup. Admittedly, in the Eldrazi matchup, I won off of the back of turn 1 Blood Moon both times, but Karn stabilized when the opponent was just casting big Endless Ones. Karn was able to stabilize the ground for me in the Delver matchups, and dug me into relevant action (at one point I reveal double Confluence to the opponent), basically everything I could ask for aside from killing Delver proper.

Also at one point, Iona was chump blocking Karn tokens in the BR matchup.

Average token size was about 6. The Great Furnace added a lot to that, for sure.

Feb 2008

Hey, got that 5-0 I was chasing.
    Nice result.
    Great Furnace seems like a great addition.

What is the reason for the Snow Covered Mountains?

Jelmer

The Snow-Covered Mountain was just a hedge if Miracles ever Predicts targetting me naming Mountain. It probably won't come up in 1000 games, but the opprotunity cost for doing that is simply remembering to put Snow-Covered Mountain on my deck registration sheet. There's no specific reason for it other than that.

Feb 2008

The Snow-Covered Mountain was just a hedge if Miracles ever Predicts targetting me naming Mountain. It probably won't come up in 1000 games, but the opprotunity cost for doing that is simply remembering to put Snow-Covered Mountain on my deck registration sheet. There's no specific reason for it other than that.
    Ok thought I was missing something

Feb 2008

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Great Furnace
    4 Mountain
    3 Snow-Covered Mountain

4 Blood Moon
    4 Blood Sun

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Trinisphere
    4 Chalice of the Void

4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar

3 Fiery Confluence

3 Karn, Scion of Urza

SB:

4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Sulfur Elemental
    4 Scab-Clan Berserker
    2 Volcanic Fallout
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Quicksmith Rebel
    Do you think 3 Karn is the correct number or was this to test and are you going to shift it down to 2 again?
    Would definately find room for the 4th Chandra.

Jelmer

@piroko139 congrats!! And what about Blood Sun, are you missing Magus of the Moon? I am also on the side of Blood Sun as multiple moon effects are redundant and the Sun allows you to draw one card.

Also, as long as you dont play Magus, have you consider playing with no creatures? It maximises your Ensnaring Bridges, your Fiery Confluences and removal from opponent will be useless. You may use such slots for playing Karn, more planeswalkers, Spyglass and Burning Wish.

I haven't missed Magus at all. I made the call to cut Magus because of the prevelance of Delver and Pile both having Bolt, so Magus would die to gusts of wind whenever I played it. Blood Sun often locked out harder than Blood Moon, and the cantrip isn't nothing.

I haven't considered no creatures, but if I were to cut all creatures, then I'd have to cut Karn too, since it basically wins through attacking.

I have been enjoying 3 Karn and will likely continue to test it in the near future. I occasionally miss the 4th Chandra, but Karn has been impressing me basically everytime I play it. I am currently testing a 2nd PnK to push the token even further, but I'm not sure if that's correct or not.

Thread Information