Page 187 of 197 FirstFirst ... 87137177183184185186187188189190191 ... LastLast
Results 3,721 to 3,740 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Re: [DTB] Dragon Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    I, like many of you, have become interested in Mogg Stompy since the recent banning announcement. Having a few new goblins get printed also didn't hurt...
    SCG is coming to Philly next weekend and I'm interested in putting some wear on my Moggcatchers.

4 Blood Moon
    3 Magus of the Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Trinisphere

4 Moggcatcher
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    2 Siege-Gang Commander
    1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
    1 Goblin Chainwhirler
    1 Goblin Trashmaster
    1 Goblin Settler

4 Abrade
    2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance

11 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

This list is just a launching point to get a conversation going. So tell me how wrong it is and suggest changes!
    I really like Abrade right now and am fairly set on running 4 in the main deck. That might be reason enough to throw Trashmaster in the sideboard, but he is also a lord that shrugs off Pyroclasm...

What do you say people??
    You forgot Stingscourger. I always run one in the main.

Also, is Chainwhirler worth it? Better than Murderous Redcap?
    Quote Originally Posted by danpo View Post
    At minimum I'd say it outclasses Beetleback Chief.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpollion View Post
    Infinite only if there are infinite artifacts for trashman to target, right?
    No it's all instant speed. You can target the same artifact mutiple times and never let the ability resolve. Including your own artifacts.

I can be dense sometimes. How exactly does this work?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    I can be dense sometimes. How exactly does this work?
    Moggcatcher in play. Fetch either Goblin Trashmaster or Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker. Next turn you leave Moggcatcher untapped and fetch the other piece end of their turn. Untap and find Lightning Crafter.

LC enters play and champion trigger goes on the stack. Before you choose a champion target, you copy it with Kiki. ***Copy enters play and champion trigger goes on the stack. Champion Kiki with the LC copy. LC copy has haste. Tap it to bolt the opponent. Sac it to Trashmaster to put 'destroy target artifact' on the stack. LC copy being sacrificed returns Kiki to play untapped. Before the 'destroy artifact' trigger resolves, copy LC with Kiki. Continue from *** until opponent is dead.

It is more reliable if your sac outlet is Skirk Prospector or Goblin Chirurgeon, but both those cards cost 1 Mana... The combo requires significant set up and is easily disrupted.

Moggcatcher in play. Fetch either Goblin Trashmaster or Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker. Next turn you leave Moggcatcher untapped and fetch the other piece end of their turn. Untap and find Lightning Crafter.

LC enters play and champion trigger goes on the stack. Before you choose a champion target, you copy it with Kiki. ***Copy enters play and champion trigger goes on the stack. Champion Kiki with the LC copy. LC copy has haste. Tap it to bolt the opponent. Sac it to Trashmaster to put 'destroy target artifact' on the stack. LC copy being sacrificed returns Kiki to play untapped. Before the 'destroy artifact' trigger resolves, copy LC with Kiki. Continue from *** until opponent is dead.

It is more reliable if your sac outlet is Skirk Prospector or Goblin Chirurgeon, but both those cards cost 1 Mana... The combo requires significant set up and is easily disrupted.
    I feel like if we're going tribal there should be more ways to take advantage of that. For example a few copies of cavern of souls. Can also name Humans and power out a Magus which could win the game against decks not expecting it.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    I feel like if we're going tribal there should be more ways to take advantage of that. For example a few copies of cavern of souls. Can also name Humans and power out a Magus which could win the game against decks not expecting it.
    The recent rules change made Cavern worse (not unplayable) in the deck.

And despite BigMana's tone, I tend to agree with his sentiment... Mogg Stompy isn't a tribal deck and it won't benefit us to force cute interactions into the deck.

Cavern may still be warranted but Lightning Crafter is pretty bad.

The recent rules change made Cavern worse (not unplayable) in the deck.

And despite BigMana's tone, I tend to agree with his sentiment... Mogg Stompy isn't a tribal deck and it won't benefit us to force cute interactions into the deck.

Cavern may still be warranted but Lightning Crafter is pretty bad.
    What was the recent Cavern rule change? (out of the loop).

I agree that Lightning Crafter is pretty bad, but I think it's still more valuable than the 2nd SCG. I can see where games can be won by having the combo than having a 2nd SCG, such as facing down lethal next turn you can win if you have a untapped moggcatcher and one piece (like trashman on the table) no matter the life they're at, even infinite life. Theres also something to be said about having instant speed wrath insurance via the champion trigger...esp if we can tutor it up via a Moggcatcher.
    However, I need to assemble the deck again and get some games in before I can make that call.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Lands that enter play under Blood Moon are Mountains and don't get a chance to take special actions (like putting counters on Dark Depths or naming a creature type with Cavern).

For you to win in response to the threat of dying, you would need 3 cards, one of which has to be Moggcatcher. It also begs the question of why you didn't just win already?

A 2nd or 3rd SCG will be more valuable in more game situations than LC.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

You also have to think about how good the cards are by themselves. LC is horrible while a second or third SGC is very good.
    Quote Originally Posted by danpo View Post
    At minimum I'd say it outclasses Beetleback Chief.

Quote Originally Posted by Zupponn View Post
    You also have to think about how good the cards are by themselves. LC is horrible while a second or third SGC is very good.
    Yes I agree LC is pretty terrible by itself.

May 2015
    Philadelphia

Just picked up this standard list for SCG Philly even though I haven't really played it.

These questions obviously stem from my lack of understand of the deck so interpret them accordingly.

What artifacts are we bringing in the Abrades for? I can't think of any scary artifacts even post board except maybe from MUD... Could I cut this for something more high impact like Dismember, Thorn of Amethyst or Ratchet Bomb? There's probably an obvious answer that I'm missing here.

Are 2 maindeck Pia and Kirans better than another Chandra and Karn? Seems sorta low impact compared to the walkers or fiery confluence.

I think the experimental goblin builds look like straight garbage. What about the new meta makes the goblin build more attractive?

Ctrl+C Ctrl+V Dragon Stompy:

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    11 Mountain

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Magus of the Moon
    2 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
    4 Fiery Confluence
    3 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    2 Karn, Scion of Urza

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Trinisphere

Sideboard
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    3 Scab-Clan Berserker
    1 Sulfur Elemental
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Abrade
    3 Kozilek's Return

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Aether Vial, equipment, small dudes. We don't really care about the big dudes (That's what Bridge is for) so much as aggressive dudes like Delver that can come down and get damage in before our shields are up. I don't recommend cutting Abrade.

Pia and Kiran Nalaar is deceptively powerful. You get a few flying blockers, a way to kill someone behind a bridge, and a decent clock all in one card. It also generates +2 artifacts for Karn tokens. It's also one of our few ways to interact with a Gaddock Teeg game 1.

No idea why people are interested in the Goblin version again. Looks less consistent and less powerful than a standard list.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Abrades destroy most of our opponent's outs to being Moon-locked. Mana dorks and rocks. Some Storm players will play LED to dodge Chalice @ 0. They are also very strong against D&T which is a very poor matchup.

You only need to play a few games with Pia and Kiran to understand their role. Strong card with lots of versatility.

In my experience, Goblin Stompy is stronger against D&T and Miracles.
    In my limited testing, I'm quite surprised at how strong Goblin Chainwhirler is.

How are things feeling in the world of Moon Stompy? I haven't played any games with the deck post-ban, but I imagine it is in a worse position. I've been playing Eldrazi to scratch my stompy urges.

Too many basics in my local meta right now for me...
    I am more confident playing Miracles or D&T. Or even Enchantress or Pox !
    Pox -- Miracles -- Lands -- Candelabra Enchantress -- Dragon Stompy -- Eldrazi Stompy -- Sultai Control

Jun 2018
    Massachusetts Area

Hey guys just wanted some advice on my current decklist and some changes I made. Feedback is appreciated

Lands
    4x city
    4x tomb
    11x mountain

Creatures
    1x pia and kiran
    1x jaya Ballard
    4x rabble
    3x magus
    4x simian

Spells
    4x chandra
    2x karn
    2x trinisphere
    4x chalice
    4x moon
    4x bridge
    4x confluence
    4x chrome mox

SIDE
    2x macabre
    2x berserker
    3x sorcerous spyglass
    2x pyroblast
    2x sulfur elemental
    2x abrade
    2x kozilek's return

I'm having trouble dealing with a turn 4 slammed Jace killing me. And needed more ways to kill someone under bridges. I considered hazoret for the slot for jaya Ballard, but she seemed solid on every ability for what she provided. The other consideration was a second pia and kiran to synergize with karn. There is also a slight problem with goblin trashmaster out of goblins that's been a pain to deal with while playing so I havent tried the great furnace yet. Thank you in advance for any help or feedback you provide!
    Last edited by ThermalLeech; 07-31-2018 at 07:58 AM.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

List looks fine!

You could try maindecking Spyglass or Revoker if the cards causing you problems all have activated abilities.

Any advice on optimizing my non-creature spells for the dragon shell? I'd seen a few lists out of Japan using stuff like Rolling Earthquake and even Bonfire.

4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Thunderbreak Regent
    2 Territorial Hellkite
    3 Stormbreath Dragon
    1 Hazoret the Fervent

3 Chandra, Torch of Defiance

2 Rolling Earthquake
    2 Fiery Confluence

4 Blood Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    11 Mountain

I wasn't sure if a split with an X sweep is worth considering or if 4 Confluences are still the way to go. Expecting to see lots of RUG and Grixis with a Vial Goblins in the field.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Based on the expected field, you might even prefer Volcanic Fallout...
    Your big stuff is as big or bigger than theirs. You might want to take a look at Fallout or Kozilek's Return (better than Fallout if the field is D&T).
    Both of these are generally sideboard cards though.

I'm not sure how good Rolling Earthquake is anymore. You take X damage plus any Ancient Tomb damage to make X relevant... It takes care of the small stuff, but the two options above do the same thing (and are either uncounterable or dodge protection) without doing you damage.

I think Territorial Hellkite will disappoint. Glorybringer would be the card I swap for it.

You might even consider something like Abrade as a swap for the Fiery Confluence spot.

Thank you, Ace.

I'll probably go with Fallout due to the blue in my meta. I had considered Glorybringer, but might look into finding room for 1-2 Sarkhan Fireblood to make it easier to support. I was looking at the 'latest' list for Dragon Stompy on the first page (the very last list in the OP, I believe) that uses Rabblemaster in a board with Arc-Slogger (5 Drop), FTK (4-Drop) and Moltensteel Dragon ('4-drop'); I'd guess its a pre DTK list since it uses Moltensteel over something like Thunderbreak Regent or the Nalaars and Hazoret. In place of Seething Song I had considered some number of Fireblood for its ramp and ability to get rid of dead cards, digging out gas and making it easier to have an empty hand for the solo Hazoret.

Thread Information