Page 192 of 197 FirstFirst ... 92142182188189190191192193194195196 ... LastLast
Results 3,821 to 3,840 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

I have a paper to work on for tomorrow night, so I figure now's the perfect time to procrastinate.

Here's an old version of my deck that I'd won a few duals at tourneys with:

10 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Zoetic Cavern
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Imperial Recruiter
    4 Rabblemaster / Prophetic Flamespeaker
    3 Sword of Fire and Ice
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Walking Ballista
    1 Manic Vandal
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 More Flex Slots, prolly Hanweir Garrison

SB:
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    4 Faerie Macabre
    3 Sword of Light and Shadow
    4 Imp Recruiter silver bullets: Stingscourger; Viashino Heretic; etc etc

I've enjoyed some decent success with this build, but facing Jitte/SoFI and Gurmag Angler are the biggest weaknesses of the deck - the two equip kill just about everything in the deck, and Gurmag is bigger than anything I can throw in front of it. So I needed a way to deal with equip - Imperial Recruiter -> Manic Vandal in the maindeck.

And like 2 months after I realized Goblin Cratermaker was printed I realized it was a card. Eats the biggest threats, Jitte and SoFI, kills Moxen and Mother of Runes, etc.

10 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Zoetic Cavern
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Goblin Cratermaker
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Gathan Raiders
    4 Avaricious Dragon
    4 Hazoret the Fervent
    2 Umezawa's Jitte

SB: 4 Thorn
    4 Faerie
    2 SoFI
    2 Sword Light and Shadow
    3 idk

I cut down on the equip hoping the Dragon might draw me into some (though I should probably add a 3rd equip to the MD - makes Zoetic Cavern a threat), and SoFI doesn't combo well with Hazoret, unlike Dragon and Raiders. While I'm not positive the fatties are where I want to take this build. I playtested Cratermaker vs Miracles, and it's AWESOME to eat Monastery Mentors, too. The Grizzly Bears does a lot of work.

I figure I'd share the two builds in case anyone wanted to try them out. I'm not sure how well they're positioned in the meta currently, but they're def fighters, and not the kind of deck to sit behind a Bridge and durdle and lose to JTMS.
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."
    Drunken Master strategy. If I don't know what I'm doing, how would you?

I have a question regarding hands that are playable:

In the dark, drawing first, will you keep a hand that can only produce a blood moon or chalice turn 2?
    And may be a chandra or a goblin for example?
    That seems too slow to me...

Will the decision change when you are on 6 cards for the same turn 2 blood moon?

For 6 cards, I will keep a hand that can only produce a chalice on turn 2.
    With the amount of mana acceleration we have and two draw steps (scry+draw), I think we are favored to get the chalice into play on turn 1?

For 5 cards, I believe we have to keep a turn 2 Blood Moon or turn 2 Goblin hand nevertheless.....

Another scenario, but this time is playing first:
    In the dark, playing first, will you keep a hand that can only produce a blood moon or chalice turn 2?
    And may be a chandra or a Goblin for example?

Will the decision change when you are on 6 cards for the same turn 2 blood moon?

For 6 cards, I probably will mull to 5 to make a turn one play lock pieces

For 5 cards, I believe we have to keep a turn 2 Blood Moon or turn 2 Goblin hand nevertheless.....

Quote Originally Posted by Misdirection View Post
    I have a question regarding hands that are playable:

In the dark, drawing first, will you keep a hand that can only produce a blood moon or chalice turn 2?
    And may be a chandra or a goblin for example?

For 6 cards, I will keep a hand that can only produce a chalice on turn 2.
    With the amount of mana acceleration we have and two draw steps (scry+draw), I think we are favored to get the chalice into play on turn 1?

Another scenario, but this time is playing first:
    In the dark, playing first, will you keep a hand that can only produce a blood moon or chalice turn 2?
    And may be a chandra or a Goblin for example?

For 6 cards, I probably will mull to 5 to make a turn one play lock pieces

There was a time when I think this was right, but with the power level of the deck, I think you can keep a turn 2 hand basically all the time now. Obviously i dont keep a hand that has a turn 2 hand and nothing else, but unless the matchup dictates that you must be incredibly fast (like a combo matchup), I have found much more success in instead being able to go do things like turn 2 Moon, Turn 3 Magus, Turn 4 Chandra. Against many decks, a basic hand like that will force them to have 3 answers in a row, and they usually can't commit to the board if they need to stop you. Adding in the 8 goblin package, and suddenly you have lots of hands that demand answers and that is the best way to play this deck. If you are constantly asking questions, you are winning. Once you stop, it becomes a very hard game.

Hey people, Been a long time admirer of the deck and finally got the pieces to finish it in paper. I'm wondering if anyone can point me towards a sideboard guide for the latest versions of the deck with 4 Rabble/4 LWB. It doesn't need to be for my exact list just a general guide so i have a good starting point to create my own. Thanks !

I second Blink's request. I just picked the deck up and I'm planning on taking to the SCG Worcester Classic. So any information that more experienced players could provide would be greatly appreciated. For reference I'm currently running this 75:
    4x Goblin Rabblemaster
    4x Legion Warboss
    4x Magus of the Moon
    1x Pia and Kiran Nalaar
    4x Simian Spirit Guide
    4x Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    3x Karn, Scion of Urza
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x City of Traitors
    4x Great Furnace
    7x Mountain
    4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Chrome Mox
    2x Trinisphere
    3x Fiery Confluence
    4x Blood Moon

Sideboard (15)
    2x Chaos Warp
    4x Ensnaring Bridge
    3x Pyrostatic Pillar
    2x Sorcerous Spyglass
    4x Sulfur Elemental

Quote Originally Posted by Packer View Post
    I second Blink's request. I just picked the deck up and I'm planning on taking to the SCG Worcester Classic. So any information that more experienced players could provide would be greatly appreciated. For reference I'm currently running this 75:
    4x Goblin Rabblemaster
    4x Legion Warboss
    4x Magus of the Moon
    1x Pia and Kiran Nalaar
    4x Simian Spirit Guide
    4x Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    3x Karn, Scion of Urza
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x City of Traitors
    4x Great Furnace
    7x Mountain
    4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Chrome Mox
    2x Trinisphere
    3x Fiery Confluence
    4x Blood Moon

Sideboard (15)
    2x Chaos Warp
    4x Ensnaring Bridge
    3x Pyrostatic Pillar
    2x Sorcerous Spyglass
    4x Sulfur Elemental

Well, Seeing as that is my exact list, I guess I will do it.

Grixis Delver
    IN
    2x Chaos Warp
    4x Ensnaring Bridge

OUT
    3x Karn, Scion of Urza
    2x Magus of the Moon
    1x Chrome Mox
    Sneak and Show
    IN
    2x Chaos Warp
    4x Ensnaring Bridge
    2x Sorcerous Spyglass

OUT
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    Miracles
    IN
    2x Chaos Warp
    3x Pyrostatic Pillar
    4x Sulfur Elemental

OUT
    3 Fiery Confluence
    2 Chrome Mox
    4 Magus of the Moon
    Storm (Both ANT and TES)
    IN
    3x Pyrostatic Pillar

OUT
    3x Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    Grixis Control
    IN
    2x Chaos Warp
    3x Pyrostatic Pillar

OUT
    1x Magus of the Moon
    2x Chrome Mox
    2x Trinisphere
    Eldrazi Stompy
    IN
    2x Chaos Warp
    4x Ensnaring Bridge
    2x Sorcerous Spyglass

OUT
    2x Trinisphere
    2x Chalice of the Void (Put it on 2)
    4x Goblin Warboss
    GB Dark Depths
    IN
    2x Chaos Warp
    4x Ensnaring Bridge
    2x Sorcerous Spyglass

OUT
    2 Trinisphere
    3 Fiery Confluence
    3 Goblin Rabblemaster
    Elves
    IN
    3x Pyrostatic Pillar

OUT
    3 Karn, Scion of Urza
    Lands
    IN
    2x Chaos Warp
    4x Ensnaring Bridge
    2x Sorcerous Spyglass

OUT
    2x Trinisphere
    3x Fiery Confluence
    2x Magus of the Moon
    1x Chalice of the Void
    Reanimator
    IN
    2x Chaos Warp
    4x Ensnaring Bridge
    2x Sorcerous Spyglass

OUT
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Blood Moon (Draw)
    3 Fiery Confluence (Play)
    1 Chandra, Torch of Defiance (Play)
    Eldrazi Post
    IN
    2x Chaos Warp
    4x Ensnaring Bridge
    2x Sorcerous Spyglass

OUT
    2x Trinisphere
    4x Chalice of the Void
    2x Karn, Scion of Urza
    UB Shadow
    IN
    2x Chaos Warp
    4x Ensnaring Bridge

OUT
    3x Karn, Scion of Urza
    3x Fiery Confluence
    UW Stoneblade
    IN
    2x Chaos Warp
    4x Ensnaring Bridge
    2x Sorcerous Spyglass

OUT
    4x Goblin Rabblemaster
    4x Goblin Warboss
    Death and Taxes
    IN
    2x Chaos Warp
    4x Ensnaring Bridge
    2x Sorcerous Spyglass
    4x Sulfur Elemental

OUT
    4x Goblin Rabblemaster
    4x Goblin Warboss
    2x Trinisphere
    2x Magus of the Moon

Awesome thanks so much Zac. Needless to say I was impressed with yours and Tom Kessler's finishes at the LaL Open last month and decided to finally pick up the deck after wanting to play it for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by ZTurgeon View Post
    Very nice.

Vs burn, Ur delver, threshold and infect you side in and side out. Thanks

4x Sulfur Elemental
    ZTurgeon, first off, THANK YOU for posting this! I've been running a similar list for the past month at my LGS and always going 3-1.

Secondly, I'm curious as to why you run 4x Sulfur Elemental. I see you only bring them in VS Miracles and D&T. I'm assuming you bring them in VS Miracles just to have more bodies on the field, not because you think you'll get all 4 on the field to kill their angels.

That makes me wonder - is the D&T matchup really so bad that we need 4 sideboard slots just VS that deck? I've been running Kozilek's Returns since I usually get paired up with a goblins player and I need the constant wipes.

I really want to give your list a try, but I'm nervous about running 0 Ensnaring Bridge main. I win enough game 1s just because of main deck ensnaring bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by caprino View Post
    Very nice.

Vs burn, Ur delver, threshold and infect you side in and side out. Thanks
    Do you mean we are not changing in any card vs those decks?

Quote Originally Posted by guslandt View Post
    ZTurgeon, first off, THANK YOU for posting this! I've been running a similar list for the past month at my LGS and always going 3-1.

Secondly, I'm curious as to why you run 4x Sulfur Elemental. I see you only bring them in VS Miracles and D&T. I'm assuming you bring them in VS Miracles just to have more bodies on the field, not because you think you'll get all 4 on the field to kill their angels.

That makes me wonder - is the D&T matchup really so bad that we need 4 sideboard slots just VS that deck? I've been running Kozilek's Returns since I usually get paired up with a goblins player and I need the constant wipes.

I really want to give your list a try, but I'm nervous about running 0 Ensnaring Bridge main. I win enough game 1s just because of main deck ensnaring bridge.
    The DNT matchup is quite bad as any equipment is hard for this deck.
    4 Sulfur Elemental may be an overkill though.

Against Miracles, I lost way more to Jace than anything else. Hence I will not worry too much against Mentor.
    So I would say Sulfur Elemental is more for DNT only.
    Agree that Kozilek's Return is a more versatile card against the field.
    Also, being able to kill Revoker, Stoneforge against DNT is sth to look at.

The DNT matchup is quite bad as any equipment is hard for this deck.
    4 Sulfur Elemental may be an overkill though.

Against Miracles, I lost way more to Jace than anything else. Hence I will not worry too much against Mentor.
    So I would say Sulfur Elemental is more for DNT only.
    Agree that Kozilek's Return is a more versatile card against the field.
    Also, being able to kill Revoker, Stoneforge against DNT is sth to look at.
    Sulfur elemental is very important against Miracles as well as D&T. And yes, 4 Sulfur Elementals and 3 Karns has been basically the only way I have found to tip the D&T matchup to our favor.

But as for Miracles, Having a flash uncounterable 3/2 that messes up Mentor is very important. It's good at fighting against Jace, Mentor, Counterspells and restricts their timing on terminus. Additionally that matchup is won of the basis of Threats vs Answers. After board, you just are so threat dense, and have a good spread of threats (Creatures, Planeswalkers, and Enchantments) that they simply can't keep up with everything. Their deck is made so that they fall behind, then use terminus as a way to instantly level the field, they play from a position of power. With a card like the Elemental, it's not uncommon to make them Terminus 1 or 2 cards thanks to the killing power of the Goblins, then end step a sulfer elemental and untap and jam a planeswalker. It just puts the opponent in very bad places.

As for K-Return, it's really only good against D&T right now. If you have a goblins player running around, it's good there, but realistically, that matchup is unwinnable.

Also, for what it's worth, Sulfur Elemental often comes in in bad matchups where you have bad lock pieces but nothing to bring in. Not many points in it's favor their, but against something like burn, having access to additional threats is much better than having access to conditional answers.

I've found that Rolling Earthquake makes the goblins match highly favorable. When it comes to Bridge, I've found it more a crutch than anything. We can usually put enough power in the red zone that the Bridge does more to benefit our opponents than to help us.

Quote Originally Posted by Saboo View Post
    I've found that Rolling Earthquake makes the goblins match highly favorable. When it comes to Bridge, I've found it more a crutch than anything. We can usually put enough power in the red zone that the Bridge does more to benefit our opponents than to help us.
    I think maindeck Burning Wish (perhaps in place of Bridge) makes a lot of sense. It can grab Rolling Earthquake and a bunch of other bombs from the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    I think maindeck Burning Wish (perhaps in place of Bridge) makes a lot of sense. It can grab Rolling Earthquake and a bunch of other bombs from the board.
    It's too slow. You need every card in this deck to do something because so much of the locked shell are do nothings. Spending time to try and burning wish the right thing is normally just worse than trying to apply more pressure and letting your opponent figure out what to do.

Deck is definitely gaining in popularity.
    It has grown from non-existence (I am the only one playing the deck) to like 10-15% of my local metagame

With its nature as a blood moon deck, the metagame has adjusted to have more basic land decks like burn and uw miracles

Deck is definitely gaining in popularity.
    It has grown from non-existence (I am the only one playing the deck) to like 10-15% of my local metagame

With its nature as a blood moon deck, the metagame has adjusted to have more basic land decks like burn and uw miracles
    My current version is minor favorite against burn and a pretty strong favorite against miracles. Moving the bridges to the board and adding quick threats has allowed you to race burn, and present miracles with a must answer card every turn.

Thank you very much for this!

As a humble noob who's never touched this deck in his life, I confess I'm a little put off by fiery confluence since the PW damage rules change. I'm stoked to see you're not playing 4; how important is the 3rd copy of this card, even?

ZTurgeon i'm wondering what your opinion is on the recent success of Hanweir Garrison. Is token factory 9,10 needed ?

Quote Originally Posted by Blink View Post
    ZTurgeon i'm wondering what your opinion is on the recent success of Hanweir Garrison. Is token factory 9,10 needed ?
    It's not unreasonable. I don't think its quite needed, but it also doesn't seem bad. Just turning the toggle slightly more in favor of aggression.

Thread Information