Page 125 of 197 FirstFirst ... 2575115121122123124125126127128129135175 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,500 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by AceOfJacks View Post
    He's only playing one. Seems like a noob move to me.
    You don't think it's good enough for this deck? From my testing so far it's been really powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by CovenantElite30 View Post
    You don't think it's good enough for this deck? From my testing so far it's been really powerful.
    No, that's not it at all. I was the idiot on camera. I one ran one, and I should have run more.

Quote Originally Posted by AceOfJacks View Post
    No, that's not it at all. I was the idiot on camera. I one ran one, and I should have run more.
    How many would you run? Are you playing any dragons in your list? How did you end up doing? Maybe write up a short report?

Thank dude.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

I went 7-2-0 today at EE5 in Baltimore, MD!
    That was good enough to place 14th out of the 277 in attendance.

Here's the list:

11 Mountains
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void

4 Magma Jet
    4 Hanweir Garrison
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster

2 Pia Nalaar
    2 Moggcatcher
    2 Goblin Settler
    1 Siege-Gang Commander

2 Smuggler's Copter

Sideboard
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Fiery Confluence
    1 Pillage
    1 Shattering Spree
    1 Ratchet Bomb
    3 Trinisphere
    2 Faerie Macabre
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Siege-Gang Commander

I wanted to give Pia and the Copter a try. But mostly I wanted to play Goblin Settler.
    My biggest concern with traditional Moggcatcher lists is how high the curve is. Kiki-Jiki is great when you find him with Moggcatcher, but otherwise he is pretty awful... The SGC in the board was a last second audible and replaced the 3rd Faerie Macabre. Neither card really ended up mattering this tournament.

I did not play against a single Tarmogoyf and I got deck checked 3 (!!!) times. I never appeared on the stream, but am happy to hear a Red Stompy deck got some exposure.

Round 1 - Jeff on Shardless Grixis 4C Young Pyromancer. Loss, 1-2.
    I win the die roll and we both mull to 6. He Forces my turn-1 play but can't stop me. I really only see Baleful Strix, so I put him on Shardless. Game 2 I am well on my way towards taking control of the game. I resolve a Moggcatcher which threatens his 2 basic Islands, but he steals it with a Sower of Temptation and I cannot bounce back. Game 3 I mull to 6 and am in a good spot with CotV on 1 and 2 until he plays Maelstrom Pulse. Not the way I wanted to start the event...

Round 2 - Macy on Esper Mentor. Win, 2-1.
    He's on the play and has Force for my shenanigans. I scoop after realizing I have no main-deck outs to a germ token equipped with a Batterskull, SoFaI, and Jitte. Game 2 he mulls to 6 and again has FoW, but my artifact hate let's me maintain control. Game 3 he doesn't have Force, so I win.

Round 3 - Will on U/R Delver. Win, 2-0.
    Not our best matchup, but what are you gonna do? He starts and has Force for whatever I tried to stick, but a Rabblemaster runs him over. Game 2 I mull to 6 and the game goes back and forth until we are both at 5 life. He makes some poor attacking decision which I capitalize on by trading a token for a Pyromancer, and double blocking an attacker he was reliant on. I took the game by Magma Jetting his last threat and my scry 2 revealed a Rabblemaster and Garrison on top.

Round 4 - Will on Eldrazi. Win, 2-0.
    Finally! He wins the die roll and leads with Ancient Tomb, Jitte. I take a gamble that I'm not playing the mirror and jam a Magus. He's able to kill the Magus with Jitte Counters, but I control the board with Magma Jet and SGC. Game 2 Blood Moon locks him out while Garrison and Rabblemaster tag team him. I finally have enough time to get a sandwich at Potbellys.

Round 5 - Chris on Esper Mentor. Win, 2-1.
    Ugh... This again. He mulls to an excellent 6 and starts. Thoughseize! He also has Force for the spell I try to play. Game 2 I mull to 6 but get there by attacking his lands. Game 3 we both mull to 6 and of course he has Force for my nonsense. I am pretty sure his FoW was a 2-for-1 though. That combined with me being on the draw and having more threats got me there.

Round 6 - Trevor on ANT. Loss, 1-2.
    We both immediately recognize each other, but he keeps telling me incorrect stories about the decks he remembers me playing at stores I've never been to. Last time I played him he was on Miracles. I say so and he let's me believe he's still on it. He Jedi mind tricked me and deserved the win... Game 1 he starts with Volcanic into Ponder but bricks on lands. I start with CotV@1 and follow with with a threat and he scoops having only shown me cards in Miracles. Game 2 he quickly storms me out and I see the error of my ways, having kept a glacially slow 7. I sideboard accordingly and proceed to mulligan to oblivion.

Round 7 - Ryan on Miracles. Win, 2-1.
    I start, but he has Force. I quickly run him over as he fails to find Terminus. Game 2 I mull to 6 and he has all the counterspells... Game 3 I lead with CotV@1 which strands his 2 Tops in hand. Rabblemaster gets there!

Round 8 - Elton on Mono-Red Painter. Win, 2-1.
    Great... This is the last deck I want to see at the top tables. On top of that, his buddy Ryan, who I played the round before had introduced us between rounds since Elton is a fan of goblins, and my deck has some. I joke about being paired against him the next round since we had the same record... He wins the die roll and the board gets to where he is reaching for new Chandra's ultimate behind the safety of an Ensnaring Bridge and my CotV@1 keeps him from assembling the combo. I stick SGC and Rabblemaster. I keep him from ultimating by throwing goblins, but when he -3's her to kill my Moggcatcher, I take the opportunity to take her out. Next turn I throw 6 damage at his face and he scoops cause he knows I do the same thing the turn after that. Game 2 he goes herp derp and wins. Game 3 I mull to 6 looking for Chalice. I don't find it, but I do get artifact hate. I destroy two bridges this game! Smuggler's Copter really pulled its weight here, attacking in the air and giving my creatures 'haste'. I won by using Pia to pump my thopter to lethal after he Revoked my Copter.

Round 9 - Dan on Infect. Win, 2-1.
    I bum him out by making us play rather than splitting, but he's a good sport about it. I mull to an awesome 6 on the play. Scrying shows a Blood Moon on top. I jam a CotV@1 and he doesn't have Force! Next turn is Blood Moon. He scoops on my turn 3 threat. Game 2 I get infected. Game 3 he mulls to 6 but doesn't have Force for my turn 1 Blood Moon. He never gets a basic and with that the evening is over.

I get $200 in credit which I use on a judge promo Mana Drain and a Death's Shadow. Mana Drain goes in Cromat, which means the cube gets a Mana Drain I never thought it'd get!

Pia Nalaar is the real deal! Smuggler's Copter is good, but I boarded it out almost every game... More testing required, I'm not sure my build is one where it can truly shine.

GG, Ace.
    G1, I mulled to 6. I kept a hand of double fetch, Top, Painter, REB, and Revoker. I saw Grindstone on top from the scry. That made me not want to play the Top turn 1 because I have all my combo pieces + protection. Your T1 Chalice made me regret that decision. lol
    Also, I decided to gun down Mogg Catcher over the SGC because I thought you may be running two SGC MD, so I figured the tutor to be more powerful. Not entirely sure if that was correct.
    Your deck was sweet. I was really impressed with the Copter. It made all your top deck creatures a threat.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

GGs L10!
    Dude, you told me your handle was L10 each time I asked, but all I could think was 'I don't remember any Eltons on theSource...'.

I believe you'd have won our first game if you had used Chandra's -3 more aggressively. But at the time you were looking for a secondary win-con since I was keeping you off the combo. Either way, you've sold me on new Chandra's power!

Quote Originally Posted by CovenantElite30 View Post
    How many would you run? Are you playing any dragons in your list? How did you end up doing? Maybe write up a short report?

Thank dude.
    I did not do as well as I should have. However, I will blame it on my inexperience as a player in general. I only play two weekly tournaments a week, one that fires every Monday without fail, and one that has the weirdest metagame due to lack of consistency on Thursdays. Most of my playtesting is against the same decks over and over again, none of which I played against at this tournament.

My list that I ran yesterday:

8 Mountain
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb

4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Hanweir Garrison
    4 Scab-Clan Berserker
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    2 Pia Nalaar

4 Sudden Shock
    4 Blood Moon

4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Chrome Mox
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Smuggler's Copter

Sideboard:
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Anarchy
    3 Shattering Spree
    2 Sulfur Elemental
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Trinisphere

Matches:
    Rd 1, win on camera vs eldrazi. He dropped after losing, stating that he did not want to have to win 8 matches in a row, then have to drive home.
    1-0

R2 2, win vs UR Delver in 3.
    G1 his burn is good enough to clear a path, and he beats with a Swiftspear and Stormchaser Mage.
    G2 trinisphere helps, but his null rod shuts off copter. I race him with Garrison and use trinisphere to slow his down. That trinisphere saved my ass.
    G3 double rabble plus scab clan hoses his life total. He cannot cast enough burn to clear my board without flat out dying to goblin tokens.
    2-0

R3, loss on camera vs eldrazi.
    Match started off camera.
    G1 he thinks I'm on painter, but i slam a blood moon as soon as I see eldrazi temple. I stomp with blood moon plus tokens before he can reach 4 mana to cast anything worthwhile.
    G2, correct sideboard, but the hate pieces I draw make this game drag on. I lost most of my threats to dismember, so I had to rely on Ensnaring Bridge to fend off endless ones and thought-knot seers. I lose to 2x endbringer after a grindy game.
    G3, we move up to the backup camera, but I make the mistake of sideboarding out the shattering spree for Scab-Clan Berserker. I brain farted, I guess ... and he wins because of jitte, on camera.
    2-1

R4, loss vs elves.
    G1 he combos out very quickly. I misplay, despite having lots of bodies on the table, I make the mistake of playing Magus of the Moon instead of Pia Nalaar. If I would have played Pia, I would have been able to turn off a blocker, and kill him with exact lethal. He comboed out at 1 life.
    G1 start off with Chalice @1, he Reclamation Sages, and combos out that same turn. If he didn't combo out that turn, I would have untapped and slammed Trinisphere in my hand, which would have pretty much won me the game.
    2-2

R5, win against BUG Food Chain.
    G1 I start off with City, Chalice @1. He incorrectly tells me about :another Eldrazi Matchup, I wonder which version you're playing" and assumes I'm on Eldrazi. I Goblin Rabblemaster him to death.
    G2, he keeps 2 Misthollows out, and I draw tons of hate pieces, but no threats. He flies over for the win.
    G3, I find a good mix of threats and hate. Turn 1 land pass, turn 2 scab clan, turn 3 magus. I win the game due to too much strain on his life total. Also, he tells a friend watching that I forced him to fetch a basic when I casted Blood Moon, and it was for a basic forest
    He claims if he had blue mana, he would have been able to win the next turn.
    3-2

R6, loss vs BUG Delver.
    G1, he kills every one of my threats with abrupt decay, then attacks 4 times with a lone Tarmogoyf for the game. Somehow he drew 3 abrupt decay.
    G2, he counters three spells in a row. Chalice, trinisphere, blood moon, all get countered. I run out of haymakers to throw down, then attacks me again with a Tarmogoyf until I die ... I draw no threats, but all the Equips!
    3-3

R7, win vs Miracles.
    G1 I land Chalice @1 and then 2x Rabblemaster. He lands Mentor, but I Sudden Shock it. Goblin beats.
    G2, I land Trinisphere. I land ScB, he stp's it. 2nd ScB, he Miracles Terminus. 3rd ScB, he stp's it. He Vendilion Cliques me, i respond with Sulfur Elemental. Sulfur and Clique trade. I land 4th ScB, which trades with Snapcaster. He plays Mentor and fetches to 1 life to keep up 3 mana to counter a spell. I topdeck Sudden Shock for the win.
    4-3

Rd 8, win vs white eldrazi.
    G1 he leads with t1 wasteland, petal, stoneforge. I play 2 nonbasics to bait his wasteland, but He draws no 2nd land. I sidden shock his stoneforge before he can use it, then beat with multiple hanweirs.
    G2 he out-tempos me with jitte. I cannot find a shattering spree to save my life. When all your dudes get machine gunned with jitte counters, it's very demoralizing.
    G3, he assembles the thalia first strike wall, but i have a thopter token, and a jitte. I jitte his creatures down, and he draws six lands to hardcast his batterskull. I topdeck spree. I spree his batterskull and beat for the win.
    5-3

Rd 9, loss to BUG Delver.
    Tired beyond belief, so I honestly don't remember if there were any spicy plays in the first 2 games. I do remember game2 where i went to 6 cards and forgot to scry. I announce city of traitors, then immediately ask if i can scry, promising it will not change my land drop. He calls a judge, judge asks him if he's ok with it, he says yes. So i get to scry, which ended up not mattering in the end, because that game was pretty much a blowout for him.
    G3 he plays t1 deathrite. I play turn 1 cavern, holding a second cavern and a spirit guide. I had tons of three drops, but they would all be uncounterable. Turn 2, he Hymns me and hits both mana sources. I get mana screwed as a result, and he literally durdle beats me with combat damage from 2x deathrite shaman and an unflipped delver.
    5-4

I like copter, and i will buy some more and add them. I think 2-3 is the correct number, I just need to figure out the spots.
    I do not know if I want new Chandra in this deck, because sometimes it's hard to get 4 mana with a blood moon effect on the table. Downside is everything dies to abrupt decay ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    GGs L10!
    Dude, you told me your handle was L10 each time I asked, but all I could think was 'I don't remember any Eltons on theSource...'.

I believe you'd have won our first game if you had used Chandra's -3 more aggressively. But at the time you were looking for a secondary win-con since I was keeping you off the combo. Either way, you've sold me on new Chandra's power!
    I had resolved Chandra seven times yesterday and won six of them (even once vs. Burn), three times from the ultimate (once with double Top). Sounds like it would have been seven out of seven if I played correctly. Thanks for the feedback!
    I definitely think you should give the new Chandra TOD a try. Though, I do think it is better in a more prision build with Ensnaring Bridge. Maybe a Mogg Catcher build + two~three SGC? I love all her abilities too, and used each one. Despite costing four mana, she is incredibly efficient with helping dump my hand for bridge lock with her mana ability.

Ace, I noticed that you play two copies of Faerie Macabre and a copy of Tormod's Crypt. What MU do you favor Faerie Macabre over the Crypt? On the draw, Faerie Macabre seems good against Reanimator for sure, and can't be counted by traditional counter magic. What other MU's do you bring them in?

@Ace - Was Pia the real deal due to pumping copter? What if you board out copter? I don't think you mention her elsewhere in your report unless she was one of the nameless threats.
    Very happy for you and your finish. Nice, concise, report. Keep it up!
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Ever sac an extra Mox or chalice to swing for lethal?
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Octopusman View Post
    Ever sac an extra Mox or chalice to swing for lethal?
    Seems fine vs Goyf decks playing defense.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by L10 View Post
    What MU do you favor Faerie Macabre over the Crypt?
    If I bring in one, I'm usually going to bring in all. The idea was more about diversifying my hate. If they Needle the Faerie, at least my Crypt is still live. Or they might just rush it out and guess wrong for what's in my hand. It helps to reduce Cabal Therapy blowouts too.

I essentially did the same thing with my artifact-hate by using a Pillage, a Spree, and a Confluence.

Quote Originally Posted by Octopusman View Post
    @Ace - Was Pia the real deal due to pumping copter?
    Pia felt right as a 2-of. You are generally happy to see her, but never in multiples and usually as a drawn threat after you've landed your lock pieces. She's the real deal because she costs the ideal amount (), she is spread across two bodies- one which flies, and has two relevant abilities.

At this point, I do not like playing creatures which cannot threaten to win against Miracles by themselves. If a creature doesn't make them want to use a Terminus 1-for-1 then we are giving them an advantage.

Pia also let's you block with a thopter, then sac it before damage to prevent Batterskull life-gain or Jitte counters.

Played at a LGS last night.
    7 players, 3 rounds.

List:

7 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Cavern of Souls

3 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    2 Smuggler's Copter

4 Sudden Shock
    3 Blood Moon

4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Magus of the Moon
    2 Pia Nalaar
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Hanweir Garrison
    4 Scab-Clan Berserker

Sb
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Anarchy
    3 Shattering Spree
    2 Sulfur Elemental
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Trinisphere

Notable changes from EE5 list:
    -1 Blood Moon, -1 Mountain
    +1 Smuggler's Copter, +1 Umezawa's Jitte

Rd 1: win vs homebrew Aetherflux Reservoir.
    His deck is designed to play a bunch of cantripping artifacts like Tsabo's Web, Wellsprings, etc. Combined with cards like Helm of Awakening, Etherium Sculptor, and such, he ramps into a Metalwork Colossus or a Reservoir amd gains a lot of life, killing me with 50 life activation.
    G1, I apply a lot of pressure on him with fast beats, and Scab-Clan Berserker seals the victory before he can combo out.
    G2, he gets a fast start, and I cannot slow him down before he chains out and kills me. Close game though, as his Spines of Ish Dah did major work.
    G3, Trinisphere plus Scab-Clan Berserker put pressure on his life total, but Pia Nalaar saves the day, as he has the new 0/4 Reach artifact in play. I end up sacrificing a Thopter to turn off his blocker and swing for exact lethal.
    1-0

Rd 2: win against Miracles.
    G1 Chalice @1 gets countered, but a second one off the top resolves. He can't cast any relevant spells, and the pressure eventually builds up on his life total.
    G2 he mulls to 5, has no lands, but scrys a land to the top. He passes turn with no turn 1 play. I draw a chalice, and play it to bait a counterspell. It resolves, he concedes.
    2-0

Rd 3, intentional draw against Jund Reanimator, but we play it out just for practice.
    G1 he turn 1 reanimates a dude. I try not to give him too much information, as I know I cannot race game 1.
    G2, I keep turn 1 Trinisphere, but no Leyline. I resolve turn 1 Trinisphere, and the beatdown commences. His spells cost too much to come back in time. Scab-Clan Berserker seals the deal, as the extra life is too much for him to pay to reanimate a blocker.
    G3, I keep 7 with Leyline and turn 1 chalice. He casts turn 1 Faithless Looting on the play, to try to find a way to deal with Leyline. I windmill slam Chalice on 1. He has no relevant spells to play turn 2. I windmill slam Magus of the Moon turn 2. He cannot cast anything turn 3. I slam trinisphere turn 3. He misses a land drop. I start beating with random threats. By the time he finds a Lotus Petal, his life total is too low to recover.
    3-0 (officially 2-0-1)

Thoughts:
    Removing 1 land does not seem like much, but in the wrong matchup it can be brutal. This deck slings a lot of haymakers, and luckily I didn't go up against a lot of counterspells. In the right environment it can shine brightly, but a lot of the plays seems risky. I will run with it for a month or so, and see how it performs moving forward. No changes planned at the moment, however I dislike having 1x Sword with mo way to fetch it. It's a great card, but 1x this and 1x that with virtually no card advantage can be rough.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Had an anemic turnout for Philly's weekly. I took first of nine.

11 Mountains
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void

4 Magma Jet
    4 Hanweir Garrison
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster

2 Pia Nalaar
    2 Moggcatcher
    2 Goblin Settler
    1 Siege-Gang Commander

2 Fleetwheel Cruiser

Sideboard
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Fiery Confluence
    1 Pillage
    1 Shattering Spree
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    3 Trinisphere
    2 Faerie Macabre
    1 Tormod's Crypt

List is -2 Copter, +2 Cruiser and - SGC, + Ratchet Bomb in the board.
    Still just trying out vehicles to get a feel for them.

Round 1 - D&T, loss 1-2.
    Game 1 I'm on the play and mull to 6. I can't deal with Stoneforge Mystic. Game 2 I hide under a bridge until Moggcatcher assembles SGC and the singleton Rabblemaster I kept in. Game 3 I keep Mountain, 2 Mox, Guide, Bridge, Magma Jet, Red Card. I draw a red card and play Bridge keeping Jet for one of his dorks. He plays Revoker and I don't draw land before he takes over.

Round 2 - Punishing Mav, win 2-1.
    I start and try to out aggro him but Stoneforge into Batterskull stops me. Game 2 a turn 0 Blood Moon takes the game. Game 3 I mull to 6 but get there thanks to Blood Moon and Pia Nalaar. I had enough spare Moxen, Chalices , and Thopters to keep attacking with Hanweir Garrison past Skull to amass an eventually lethal number of tokens regardless of Skull's lifelink.

Round 3 - ANT, win 2-1.
    I win the die roll. Magus into Rabble is enough to get there. Game 2 I mull to 3... Game 3 I keep 3 Mountain, CotV, Trinisphere, and 2 threats. I play CotV@0 and hope that's enough to slow him down so I can play 3ball on turn 3... It was!

Round 4 - Imperial Taxes, win 2-0.
    I mull to 5 and he starts with Wasteland -> Vial. He only sees 2 Wastelands and Hanweir Garrison takes over. Game 2 I get 2 Vials with a Shattering Spree and Garrison showed up in multiples, winning the game.

Fleetwheel Cruiser didn't stand out, but didn't feel worse than Copter the few times I saw it. I boarded it out just as frequently... I don't think this build wants either Vehicle.

Pia Nalaar was great all night. It's possible 3 is the right number of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post

Fleetwheel Cruiser didn't stand out, but didn't feel worse than Copter the few times I saw it. I boarded it out just as frequently... I don't think this build wants either Vehicle.

Pia Nalaar was great all night. It's possible 3 is the right number of her.

Thanks for the report. I'm looking to reassemble stompy for my next legacy weekly. Out of curiosity, as of right now, do you feel Jitte > vehicles?

Also, I assume your list eschews Cavern of Souls because you're not as goblin heavy as some of the other lists.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by amppyou View Post
    Thanks for the report. I'm looking to reassemble stompy for my next legacy weekly. Out of curiosity, as of right now, do you feel Jitte > vehicles?

Also, I assume your list eschews Cavern of Souls because you're not as goblin heavy as some of the other lists.
    I would say Jitte > Vehicles in the builds I've tested so far. Having said that, I haven't missed Jitte while I've been testing Vehicles. It isn't needed against a lot of lists.

And I usually forego Cavern unless a high majority of my creature base is of a single tribe. Unfortunately Cavern does nothing for us if our hand gives us Blood Moons over Maguses.

Edit:
    Just spoiled from Commander 16

I don't believe it is maindeckable, and I don't think you'd ever want more than 1 or 2 in the sideboard. BUT this card has some potential.
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 10-28-2016 at 12:04 PM.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

I thought that worked off SnT, but it actually don't, i'm dumb.

Still, it's essentially a 4 mana confiscate. Card is strong, it need a home though, and it's purely reactive too, so it may never find it.

Hey! I was the person at eternal weekend in the maid outfit.
    I ran the following list and ended up going 6-4.

Mana
    11 Snow-Covered Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

Lock
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void

Clock
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Hanweir Garrison
    2 Pia Nalaar
    2 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
    2 Koth of the Hammer
    1 Thunderbreak Regent
    1 Jaya Ballard
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

Removal
    3 Magma Jet
    1 Sudden Shock

Sideboard
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Trinisphere
    2 Volcanic Fallout
    2 Sulfur Elemental
    1 Sudden Shock
    2 Smash to Smithereens
    1 Shattering Spree

Round 1 vs Aluren (W)
    Game 1: Forced the Moon and then played coiling oracle revealing aluren. I try to play a garrison for beats but shardless into abrupt decay ends that then I get beat down.
    Game 2: Land the moon and then the sided revoker to shut him off of DRS.
    Game 3: Land another moon effect.
    Round 2 vs Grixis Delver (W)
    Game 1: I find removal for the delver and lock out with a chalice
    Game 2: Close back and forth but I land a trinisphere and a chalice. He plays a Gurmag angler but I land a pia and can afford to chump block.

Round 3 Vs Mono U OmniShowandTell(L)
    Game 1: Shows an Omni,Plays a Grieselbrand and draws to emrakul.
    Game 2: I think Trinisphere locks him out and I just win with him on 2 mana the entire game
    Game 3: Get a lock piece forced and then Emrakul shows up.

Round 4 vs D&T (L)
    Game 1: I keep a hand Moon Chalice and ways to play them T1 and T2. Lead with the moon and he goes Basic Plains Aether Vial pass and I become very sad.
    Game 2: I try to get a clock but I think I just lose to a resolved Jitte.

Round 5 vs Jeskai Stoneblade (L)
    Game 1: He forces my locks goes Jitte,True Name Nemesis and Ends it quick.
    Game 2: He counters the lock. We are at parity and plays Gideon Ally of Zendikar and then counters all my threats.

Round 6 vs Eldrazi (W)
    Game 1: See a Mishra’s Factory and go Moon and just win.
    Game 2: I mull to 6 and keep a super loose 3 Mountain 2 Rabblemaster 1 Thunderbreak regent. He mulls to 4 and I just draw a mox and play my threats.

Round 7 vs Burn (W)
    Game 1: Land a Chalice of Void and he concedes instantly. I put him on burn or delver and side in the trinispheres.
    Game 2: He smash to smithereens my first chalice but chalice 2 and 3 get there.

Round 8 vs Infect (W)
    Game 1: I win the roll and play moon and win. He tells me after the match he kept a daze spell pierce hand
    Game 2: he is able to fetch for basic forest and then GSZ to a viridian corrupter and I just can’t draw a removal.
    Game 3: I land a magus then a rabblemaster and it's over pretty quick.

Round 9 vs Burn (W)
    Game 1: We go back and forth but I land a chalice.
    Game 2: I keep a super loose 2 magus of the moon and Jitte and hope the Jitte gets me there. It is just wayyyy to slow.
    Game 3: Super tense game. I land a chalice at 1 and a trinisphere and kia and piran. He Pyroclasms my board and then is able to Destructive Revelry the Chalice. He tries to fireblast when I'm at 2 but still needs to pay 3 for trinispheres so I'm able to get in for 2.

Round 10 vs U/B Reanimator
    Game 1: I land a moon but he goes Basic Swamp,Basic Island,Petal and Reanimates a Griselbrand and I lose from there.
    Game 2: SNTs a Griselbrands that I try in vain to race.

Overall Thoughts:
    Koth Just felt terrible the entire weekend except for the one side event I drew him against MUD when the player had an ensnaring bridge. I was expecting some number of miracles matchups but somehow never ended up facing it the entire weekend. Show and Tell and Death and Taxes ended up being the most problematic matchups. Death and Taxes was a tough matchup and large part of the meta that I'd probably bring in 3 Firey Confluence to the sideboard.

I'm not really sure what to do vs show and tell.Ensnaring Bridge out of the side along with clocks that can get around punching into griselbrand?

Quote Originally Posted by jancz View Post

Overall Thoughts:
    Koth Just felt terrible the entire weekend except for the one side event I drew him against MUD when the player had an ensnaring bridge. I was expecting some number of miracles matchups but somehow never ended up facing it the entire weekend. Show and Tell and Death and Taxes ended up being the most problematic matchups. Death and Taxes was a tough matchup and large part of the meta that I'd probably bring in 3 Firey Confluence to the sideboard.

I'm not really sure what to do vs show and tell.Ensnaring Bridge out of the side along with clocks that can get around punching into griselbrand?

Your list does you no favors in those matchups.

Death and Taxes, Show and Tell and Burn tend to be the 3 hardest matchups (in my opinion). By boarding the trinispheres you really hurt your game 1 combo matchup, especially against omni-show, where the best thing you can put in off a show and tell is a trinisphere. Additionally, not running any ensnaring bridges in the 75 leaves you with basically no outs to giant creatures, as you are not on the moggcatcher build. Also, your threats are just that, threats. They don't have enough utility to deal with the kind of threats that SnT brings to the table.

Thread Information