Page 189 of 197 FirstFirst ... 89139179185186187188189190191192193 ... LastLast
Results 3,761 to 3,780 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Re: [DTB] Dragon Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by ThermalLeech View Post
    Hey guys how well do you think walking ballista would do for us main deck against death and taxes and other annoying things. Especially as another threat that kills under bridge?
    I currently run 3 in my main deck and they are absolute lifesavers, I tried 4 but it was clunky. 3 seem to be just right.

At a GP I had to use it against BR reanimator to shoot Iona naming red.

Aug 2014
    Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Valleysdai View Post
    I currently run 3 in my main deck and they are absolute lifesavers, I tried 4 but it was clunky. 3 seem to be just right.

At a GP I had to use it against BR reanimator to shoot Iona naming red.
    Hi Valleysdai:

could U let me know how your '75' looks like?

Thx,

megaflippo

Quote Originally Posted by megaflippo View Post
    Hi Valleysdai:

could U let me know how your '75' looks like?

Thx,

megaflippo
    Certainly, I've recently lent the deck out so am probably forgetting a couple of cards

My current Dragon stompy list:

Main

4 Chandra ToD

4 blood moon

4 ensnaring bridge
    4 chalice of the void
    2 chrome mox
    3 trinisphere

4 fiery confluence

2 pia and Kiran Nalaar
    3 magus if the moon
    3 walking Ballista
    4 simian spirit guide

13 snow-covered mountain
    4 ancient tomb
    4 city of traitors
    2 gemstone caverns

Side
    2 grafdiggers cage
    2 pyroblast
    1 cursed totem
    1 spellskite
    2 sorcerous spyglass
    2 torpor orb
    2 abrade
    1 kozilek's return
    1 damping matrix
    1 boil

Aug 2014
    Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Valleysdai View Post
    Certainly, I've recently lent the deck out so am probably forgetting a couple of cards

My current Dragon stompy list:

Main

4 Chandra ToD

4 blood moon

4 ensnaring bridge
    4 chalice of the void
    2 chrome mox
    3 trinisphere

4 fiery confluence

2 pia and Kiran Nalaar
    3 magus if the moon
    3 walking Ballista
    4 simian spirit guide

13 snow-covered mountain
    4 ancient tomb
    4 city of traitors
    2 gemstone caverns

Side
    2 grafdiggers cage
    2 pyroblast
    1 cursed totem
    1 spellskite
    2 sorcerous spyglass
    2 torpor orb
    2 abrade
    1 kozilek's return
    1 damping matrix
    1 boil
    Hi Valleysdai,
    thx for the list: can U tell me when to use 'cursed totem' from the SB?
    Against what MU is it good?
    Thx, megaflippo

can U tell me when to use 'cursed totem' from the SB?
    Against all decks with lots of creature abilities, but certainly against Elves and Maverick.

Mar 2012
    Denton, Texas

Been awhile since I posted. Last time I played the deck was when I got top 4 at SCG Classic in Dallas and planning on going to the team open as the Legacy player.

Main
    4-Blood moon
    4-Magus of the Moon
    4- Chalice of the void
    4-Ensnaring Bridge
    2-Trinisphere
    3-Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    1-Chandra, Pryomaster
    2-Karn, Scion of Urza
    2-Ghiraour Aether Grid
    1- Pia and Kiran Nalaar
    1-Walking Ballista
    3-Fiery Confluence
    2-Abrade
    4-Chrome Mox
    4-Simian Spirit Guide
    11-Mountain
    4-Ancient Tomb
    4-City of Traitors

Sideboard
    3-Tormod's Crypt
    2-Volcanic Fallout
    2-Kozilek's Return
    2-Spine of Ish Sah
    2-Sorcerous Spyglass
    2-Choas Warp
    1-Ratchet Bomb
    1-Pia and Kiran Nalaar

I haven't really liked the rabble master lists as I feel there is a big difference between stompy and prison.

The biggest card I am wanting to try out is the Spine of Ish Sah to try and help the sideboard games of Sneak and show as an extra show and tell target plus can be boarded in for any of the really grind match ups and has the possible upside of being reused with Pia and Kiran Nalaar.

Nobody playing Blood Sun over Magus ? The latter is so easy to kill for many decks (Grixis Control, 4c loam...)
    Plus, Blood Sun cantrips and let you take 2 mana out of your Sol lands. And it combines well with Fiery Confluence.
    Pox -- Miracles -- Lands -- Candelabra Enchantress -- Dragon Stompy -- Eldrazi Stompy -- Sultai Control

Feb 2008
    Breda Area, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by ParisFlorian View Post
    Nobody playing Blood Sun over Magus ? The latter is so easy to kill for many decks (Grixis Control, 4c loam...)
    Plus, Blood Sun cantrips and let you take 2 mana out of your Sol lands. And it combines well with Fiery Confluence.
    Yes you are right about almost all points. I found that you need a certain creature density if you want a creature to survive. I would play it if I could work out a completely creatureless build that would, either contain another "Hard" Lock piece over Trinisphere, so that I would have more time to kill with 1 or 2 Planeswalkers (Chandra or Karn) or another non creature kill-condition that would kill faster then the previously mentioned Planeswalkers.

Eldrazi Stompy however is on the rise. Magus kills them, Blood Sun does nothing vs them.

Hi Valleysdai,
    thx for the list: can U tell me when to use 'cursed totem' from the SB?
    Thx, megaflippo
    As well as the aforementioned elves and maverick it is extremely useful against decks like DnT, that utilise SFM. It can also replace dead cards against griselbrand decks. Mud gets hit by it too.

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Quote Originally Posted by ItsBill View Post
    Been awhile since I posted. Last time I played the deck was when I got top 4 at SCG Classic in Dallas and planning on going to the team open as the Legacy player.

Main
    4-Blood moon
    4-Magus of the Moon
    4- Chalice of the void
    4-Ensnaring Bridge
    2-Trinisphere
    3-Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    1-Chandra, Pryomaster
    2-Karn, Scion of Urza
    2-Ghiraour Aether Grid
    1- Pia and Kiran Nalaar
    1-Walking Ballista
    3-Fiery Confluence
    2-Abrade
    4-Chrome Mox
    4-Simian Spirit Guide
    11-Mountain
    4-Ancient Tomb
    4-City of Traitors

Sideboard
    3-Tormod's Crypt
    2-Volcanic Fallout
    2-Kozilek's Return
    2-Spine of Ish Sah
    2-Sorcerous Spyglass
    2-Choas Warp
    1-Ratchet Bomb
    1-Pia and Kiran Nalaar

I haven't really liked the rabble master lists as I feel there is a big difference between stompy and prison.

The biggest card I am wanting to try out is the Spine of Ish Sah to try and help the sideboard games of Sneak and show as an extra show and tell target plus can be boarded in for any of the really grind match ups and has the possible upside of being reused with Pia and Kiran Nalaar.
    Run Great Furnace with Aether Grid. It even counts as an artifact under moon effects. Confusion in the Ranks is also good versus Sneak and Show. It trades upon entry with a Show and Tell'd Sneak Attack or Omniscience and will force a creature trade when you cast one (they Show and Tell a fatty, you drop Confusion in the Ranks and next turn cast a creature to swap). I also would not play Abrade main because you can blow up artifacts with Fiery Confluence and there are better cards to run rather than those two.
    "Never argue with a fool, people might not know the difference."

Aug 2014
    Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Wizard View Post
    Run Great Furnace with Aether Grid. It even counts as an artifact under moon effects. Confusion in the Ranks is also good versus Sneak and Show. It trades upon entry with a Show and Tell'd Sneak Attack or Omniscience and will force a creature trade when you cast one (they Show and Tell a fatty, you drop Confusion in the Ranks and next turn cast a creature to swap). I also would not play Abrade main because you can blow up artifacts with Fiery Confluence and there are better cards to run rather than those two.
    Just as a general question: I never really liked Chandra Pyromaster... Ok draws U a card for '0' ability and pings your opponents, but the ultimatum is not that good neither (not sure U hit your FConfluence) .

I would just always put a Karn Scion of Urza in her place...

Any opinions why Chandra P is still good?

Any advice is most welcome!

Just as a general question: I never really liked Chandra Pyromaster... Ok draws U a card for '0' ability and pings your opponents, but the ultimatum is not that good neither (not sure U hit your FConfluence) .

I would just always put a Karn Scion of Urza in her place...

Any opinions why Chandra P is still good?

Any advice is most welcome!
    I tried her (the nice Comic Con version :)) in a PW build, along with Karn and the other Chandra (and Blood Sun in place of Magus).
    I have to say I am not a big fan. Chandra TOD is clearly better, and so is Karn. But I keep her as a 1-of, since I cant play 5 Chandra ToD, and I do not want a 3rd Karn (to keep my red cards count high enough for the Moxen).
    Pox -- Miracles -- Lands -- Candelabra Enchantress -- Dragon Stompy -- Eldrazi Stompy -- Sultai Control

Aug 2014
    Europe

Quote Originally Posted by ParisFlorian View Post
    I tried her (the nice Comic Con version :)) in a PW build, along with Karn and the other Chandra (and Blood Sun in place of Magus).
    I have to say I am not a big fan. Chandra TOD is clearly better, and so is Karn. But I keep her as a 1-of, since I cant play 5 Chandra ToD, and I do not want a 3rd Karn (to keep my red cards count high enough for the Moxen).
    The one reason I would consider playing her is pithing needle / sorcerous spyglass effect from the opponent: they always play it on Karn or Chandra TOD... so U still have 'an out'...

bruizar

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Koth of the Hammer seems so much better as a second red planeswalker than Chandra Pyromancer. Even Sarkhan Dragonspeaker pulls more weight imo.

Aug 2014
    Europe

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Koth of the Hammer seems so much better as a second red planeswalker than Chandra Pyromancer. Even Sarkhan Dragonspeaker pulls more weight imo.
    @bruizar : I agree...

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Well... this deck has returned to general obsurity post banning.

Thoughts? Not as strong as Rabblemaster, but creature type of goblin means there is some synergy.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Looks like interest here has really dried up. Hopefully this doesn't become a thread where I just babble to myself...

Ended up getting 3rd in the Duel for Duals at TopDeck Games in Haddon, NJ.
    Was only a 32 person event, but I got a Tropical Island for my troubles. Only lost to 1 player and ended up 11-5 in games for the day.

11 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Chrome Mox

4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Trinisphere

4 Moggcatcher
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    3 Goblin Chainwhirler
    3 Stingscourger
    2 Siege-Gang Commander
    1 Goblin Settler
    1 Goblin Trashmaster
    1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker

Sideboard
    4 Faerie Macabre
    4 Abrade
    2 Trinisphere
    1 Goblin Trashmaster
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    1 Forcefield
    2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance

Round 1, Leon - UW Stoneblade 2-0
    He wins the die roll, but I take the game. Game 2, I mull to 5 but still steal the win. Goblin Trashmaster was the MVP, and Moggcatcher made sure I could find him.

Round 2, PirateKing - Deadguy Ale 2-0
    He wins the die roll but mulls to 6. I believe he stumbles on land, and I'm able to take advantage. Game 2 starts poorly as I have to aggressively use Ancient Tomb. But Moggcatcher lets me find back to back Goblin Chainwhirlers to destroy his Bitterblossom faeries and his follow up Lingering Souls that threatened to finish me off.

Round 3, Dylan - Dredge 2-0
    I mull to 5 and him to 6. He leads with land, LED. I stick Chalice@1. He pops the LED and has dredgers and bridges but can't find any dudes. I snag a win. Game 2 he mulls to 5 and plays Careful Study into Faithless Looting. I remove his dredger and Looting with a Faerie and stick a Chalice@1. He can't recover.

So at this point I am undefeated for the day and feeling pretty untouchable. I have the opportunity to draw into Top 8 but I push my luck to get top seed.

Round 4, Matt - UB Death's Shadow 1-2
    Matt offers to draw and I decline. I win the die roll and play Magus of the Moon. Matt thinks for a bit... He cycles Street Wraith, then another. Then he scoops up his cards. Game 2 I mull to 5 and him to 6. He counters anything relevant from me and wins pretty easily. Game 3 I look at an awful 7 and confidently put my cards on the table. "Would you still like to draw?" I ask. He knows better and punishes me for my greed.

Round 5, Robert - Enchantress, 2-0
    I win the die roll and play Chalice@1. He and I battle it out for 30 minutes. The game kept wavering between me keeping him locked under Trinisphere and him bursting through it. Moggcatcher gives me inevitability though. Game 2 I play Moggcatcher turn 1 and confirm my intention to destroy every land he plays moving forward. He scoops.

Got there! I'm #2 going into the top 8. My Round 4 opponent is the top seed.

Quarter-finals, Tyler - Death & Taxes, 2-1
    He mulls to 6 and I start. Goblin Chainwhirler blows out his board of X-1s and I get the first game. I keep a no-lander for game 2(!!) It has 2 Chrome Mox and the option to play Rabblemaster or Chainwhirler on my opening play. He decides it is Chainwhirler by playing a Mother of Runes. I eventually get a 3rd Chrome Mox on the board, but never see a single land before he kills me. Game 3 is a grind-fest which eventually has us both hellbent with a cluttered board. He finds a Recruiter of the Guard which makes 'being the Monarch' important. I steal the title and sandbag a Chainwhirler only to draw a 2nd at the end of turn. My hand is Chrome Mox, Chainwhirler, Chainwhirler and I have 5 Mountain in play. He commits his hand to the board and passes the turn. I draw a red card (Abrade), imprint it and double Chainwhirler him out of the game.

Semi-finals, Matt - UB Death's Shadow, 0-2
    Ugh... this again. He ponders. I play Blood Moon. He Dazes. I show a Simian Spirit Guide. He casts Force of Will. I can't recover. Game 2 I mull to 3. It took all day, but my deck finally shit all over me. At least it got me to the semi-finals.

The list is a lot of fun. It was the same thing I took to SCG Philly where I was paired against Burn 3 times and the Bridge-Walker mirror once. I didn't see a single red deck this tournament and almost took it down.
    I enjoyed talking anime with PirateKing and Dylan. TopDeck Games is a great store and my thanks to them for continuing to put on events. Though it was pretty disappointing to see the condition of the duals up as prizes... My HP Trop was the one in best condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Looks like interest here has really dried up. Hopefully this doesn't become a thread where I just babble to myself...

Ended up getting 3rd in the Duel for Duals at TopDeck Games in Haddon, NJ.
    Was only a 32 person event, but I got a Tropical Island for my troubles. Only lost to 1 player and ended up 11-5 in games for the day.

11 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Chrome Mox

4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Trinisphere

4 Moggcatcher
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    3 Goblin Chainwhirler
    3 Stingscourger
    2 Siege-Gang Commander
    1 Goblin Settler
    1 Goblin Trashmaster
    1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker

Sideboard
    4 Faerie Macabre
    4 Abrade
    2 Trinisphere
    1 Goblin Trashmaster
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    1 Forcefield

Round 1, Leon - UW Stoneblade 2-0
    He wins the die roll, but I take the game. Game 2, I mull to 5 but still steal the win. Goblin Trashmaster was the MVP, and Moggcatcher made sure I could find him.

Round 2, PirateKing - Deadguy Ale 2-0
    He wins the die roll but mulls to 6. I believe he stumbles on land, and I'm able to take advantage. Game 2 starts poorly as I have to aggressively use Ancient Tomb. But Moggcatcher lets me find back to back Goblin Chainwhirlers to destroy his Bitterblossom faeries and his follow up Lingering Souls that threatened to finish me off.

Round 3, Dylan - Dredge 2-0
    I mull to 5 and him to 6. He leads with land, LED. I stick Chalice@1. He pops the LED and has dredgers and bridges but can't find any dudes. I snag a win. Game 2 he mulls to 5 and plays Careful Study into Faithless Looting. I remove his dredger and Looting with a Faerie and stick a Chalice@1. He can't recover.

So at this point I am undefeated for the day and feeling pretty untouchable. I have the opportunity to draw into Top 8 but I push my luck to get top seed.

Round 4, Matt - UB Death's Shadow 1-2
    Matt offers to draw and I decline. I win the die roll and play Magus of the Moon. Matt thinks for a bit... He cycles Street Wraith, then another. Then he scoops up his cards. Game 2 I mull to 5 and him to 6. He counters anything relevant from me and wins pretty easily. Game 3 I look at an awful 7 and confidently put my cards on the table. "Would you still like to draw?" I ask. He knows better and punishes me for my greed.

Round 5, Robert - Enchantress, 2-0
    I win the die roll and play Chalice@1. He and I battle it out for 30 minutes. The game kept wavering between me keeping him locked under Trinisphere and him bursting through it. Moggcatcher gives me inevitability though. Game 2 I play Moggcatcher turn 1 and confirm my intention to destroy every land he plays moving forward. He scoops.

Got there! I'm #2 going into the top 8. My Round 4 opponent is the top seed.

Quarter-finals, Tyler - Death & Taxes, 2-1
    He mulls to 6 and I start. Goblin Chainwhirler blows out his board of X-1s and I get the first game. I keep a no-lander for game 2(!!) It has 2 Chrome Mox and the option to play Rabblemaster or Chainwhirler on my opening play. He decides it is Chainwhirler by playing a Mother of Runes. I eventually get a 3rd Chrome Mox on the board, but never see a single land before he kills me. Game 3 is a grind-fest which eventually has us both hellbent with a cluttered board. He finds a Recruiter of the Guard which makes 'being the Monarch' important. I steal the title and sandbag a Chainwhirler only to draw a 2nd at the end of turn. My hand is Chrome Mox, Chainwhirler, Chainwhirler and I have 5 Mountain in play. He commits his hand to the board and passes the turn. I draw a red card (Abrade), imprint it and double Chainwhirler him out of the game.

Semi-finals, Matt - UB Death's Shadow, 0-2
    Ugh... this again. He ponders. I play Blood Moon. He Dazes. I show a Simian Spirit Guide. He casts Force of Will. I can't recover. Game 2 I mull to 3. It took all day, but my deck finally shit all over me. At least it got me to the semi-finals.

The list is a lot of fun. It was the same thing I took to SCG Philly where I was paired against Burn 3 times and the Bridge-Walker mirror once. I didn't see a single red deck this tournament and almost took it down.
    I enjoyed talking anime with PirateKing and Dylan. TopDeck Games is a great store and my thanks to them for continuing to put on events. Though it was pretty disappointing to see the condition of the duals up as prizes... My HP Trop was the one in best condition.
    Nice work vs DNT. Can I get a rundown of your semi-mirror against the Bridge Walker deck?

In Modern Sarkhan's been doing work with dragons. This is my legacy port of the deck:

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    12 Mountain

4 Blood Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    2 Fiery Confluence

4 Sarkhan, Fireblood

4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Thunderbreak Regent
    3 Stormbreath Dragon
    3 Glorybringer

Sideboard: 15
    4 Faerie Macabre
    3 Pyroblast
    4 Abrade
    2 Fiery Confluence

In Modern Sarkhan tends to be run with a good many of your 5-cost dragons to take advantage of the +2 mana off Sarkhan's ability. That's my logic and rational here.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Sure:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    The loss against the mirror (Chandra/Karn/Bridge version) was brutal. I won the die roll and lead with City -> Chalice@1. That lost me game one because I couldn't catch up on mana since City kills itself... Game 2 I resolved 3ball turn 1 and my opponent couldn't catch up. Game 3 was heartbreaking because I had just stabilized at 6 life with a Trashmaster and Moggcatcher on the board with a 3ball out. My opponent had an empty board, with 3 lands and a Chrome Mox with 1 card in hand. I entered my end step and had to decide if I was going to worry about Fiery Confluence or not. I decided to fade Confluence and make a Siege Gang end of their turn for a lethal swing (cause Trashman lords) my next turn. I'm immediately punished when my opponent untaps and plays Confluence... What I should have done was EoT search up Settler, nuke a land, then sac the Settler to Trashman to destroy the mox, locking them under 3 ball. Oh well.
    I think the addition of Chainwhirler to the Moggcatcher list makes that matchup even. After sideboarding, it might even be favorable.

Good to hear Sarkhan is doing work in Modern! I think it is inevitable that he could do work in Legacy, but I it'll require another bomby 4-drop dragon or two...

question to the moggcatcher people. why is nobody running goblin king as one-off? i think it works very well with our moon effects ... is there any reasoning?

Thread Information