4 city of traitors
    10 mountain

4 thorn of amethyst
    3 smash to smithereens
    3 sulfur elemental
    2 tormod's crypt
    2 sudden demise
    1 trinisphere

You could argue this curve is steep, but in my mind it's the same as when we ran 4x Arc Slogger (Stormbreath) and 4x Rakdos Pit Dargon (Avaricious) and 4x Seething Song, which to be honest I'm not sure why that last card got cut. Anyway:

Round one against Reanimator:
    G1 I win the roll and open with Seething Song into Blood Moon and Chalice on 1. He does not have FOW and scoops.

G2 he mulls and keeps a hand with T1 Duress. He sees a hand with Chalice, sol land, Chrome Mox, Rabblemaster and some other cards. He takes the Chalice. On my turn I topdeck Magus and slam sol land, imprint, moon you? He has FOW but is now down to two cards in hand. On his turn he plays Thoughtseize I think for Rabblemaster and then casts Reanimate on Rabblemaster, but I'm able to get an Avaricious Dragon out and eventually trade a Revoker for Rabbleman and bury him.

I feel dirty?

Round two against Omnishow:
    G1 he just always has the FOW and/or Spell Pierce when he needs it. I would like to drop Trinisphere in off S&T but I never see it. He goes off the turn before I dead him.
    G2 I board out Blood Moons and I guess Maguses (can't remember [[EDIT: It was Revokers. They're real pointless here.]]) for Thorns, the fourth Trinisphere and Tormod's Crypt bc Dig Through Time.
    He FOWs my T1 Thorn. A couple turns later I have Avaricious Dragon and Crypt and he is at 10 life, two lands and four cards in the graveyard. I consider popping his yard but figure if he cantrips or plays/cracks a fetch I'll still have time to blow up his graveyard before he's eligible for delve. This line of thinking fails to account for City of Traitors, which he is then able to play, Dig Through Time and release a bunch of ants on the spaghetti I'm covered in.

Cry.

Round three against Death-n-Taxes.
    This is around when I got too sad to take very good notes but basically I mulled to five G1 and went T1 Trinisphere / basically hellbent / staring contest, sit and stare awkwardly while wishing I could afford my own Revoker, eventually get out a Stormbreath but fail to race Batterskull?

G2 I mulled again and lost. We played two more and I went 0-4 against Death-n-Taxes. In one game Sulfur Elemental made two Stoneforge Mystics 2/1s I was unwilling to trade with. I smashed both pieces of equipment to smithereens but wound up losing to my own Ancient Tombs anyway.

-

Round four against Miracles variant feat. Back to Basics.
    I gave up on notes at this point but I lost G1 and stole games 2 and 3 with resolved Chalice of the Void and mean clocks like Rabblemaster and Stormbreath Dragon.

2-2

This deck is neat and does fun things but having now gone ~2-2 with it on three different occasions and seeing no hope for ever beating the Omnishow man or the Death-n-Taxes guy I am breaking up with it.
    Good luck have fun,
    -Dan
    Which is why dragons.dec is bad. Losing the race to a batterskull should be expected when you play bad cards. I find D&T to be a good matchup. Sneak and Show also used to be good but it's slightly worse due to people switching to Omnishow.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Does this appeal to anyone?

I have to give WotC credit for giving us a flyer in each of the last few sets.
    Haste is nice but Swords to Plowshares and Terminus make the Landfall ability underwhelming.

I'm thinking it's not good enough at 3/3 since it has to attack each turn...
    but I like the sound of Phoenix Stompy.

Jan 2013
    Land of Snow and Purple Rain

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Does this appeal to anyone?

I have to give WotC credit for giving us a flyer in each of the last few sets.
    Haste is nice but Swords to Plowshares and Terminus make the Landfall ability underwhelming.

I'm thinking it's not good enough at 3/3 since it has to attack each turn...
    but I like the sound of Phoenix Stompy.
    Would rather just play Stormbreath

Quote Originally Posted by potatodavid View Post
    Would rather just play Stormbreath
    Going to have to agree here. Which is not exactly fun to just throw out there because there is a CMC difference.
    I like the haste, but it's 3 and even then it's extremely easily removed and I don't want to be paying that much mana to get another 3/3.

Always looking for new toys each spoiler season but goodies are few and far between, especially in the 2R cost. Innistrad was good, though.
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

The phoenix is bad. I'm not sure if it will even see play in standard. The body is too small for the cost and the landfall ability costs way too much mana. I mean seriously, 6 mana? Plus a landfall? That thing is never coming back fast enough nor reliably enough to be relevent.
    Quote Originally Posted by danpo View Post
    At minimum I'd say it outclasses Beetleback Chief.

Here's the list I have been testing out. I have seen some really good things so far, but there are still a few spots that I'm not 100% sold on yet. No Dragons, but this was the only place I could find to post a list. I would love to hear some opinions. Has anybody else tried Hangarback yet?

4 Blood Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere

4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Lotus Petal

4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Hangarback Walker
    2 Eidolon of the Great Revel

4 Magma Jet
    2 Urza's Rage

4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    12 Mountain

I don't know if the 4th Trinisphere is needed. I also am not sure about the eidolons or the urza's rage. I do like both of them so far, but I am wondering if anything else would be better.

Cards I am considering are Rabblemaster, Phyrexian Revoker, Koth of the Hammer, and Bonfire of the Damned.

As far as sideboard, I do like either Eidolon or Sphere of Resistance as added combo hate. I also like Sulfur Elemental, Tormod's Crypt, Sudden Demise, a single Emrakul, Shattering Spree, Boil,

Jul 2013
    Rhode Island

Hangarback seems really good to blank liliana
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    To be fair, you're supposed to build a sizable pyre underneath it and light it with an arrow from afar.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice11 View Post
    Here's the list I have been testing out. I have seen some really good things so far, but there are still a few spots that I'm not 100% sold on yet. No Dragons, but this was the only place I could find to post a list. I would love to hear some opinions. Has anybody else tried Hangarback yet?

4 Blood Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere

4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Lotus Petal

4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Hangarback Walker

4 Magma Jet
    2 Urza's Rage

4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    12 Mountain

I don't know if the 4th Trinisphere is needed. I also am not sure about the eidolons or the urza's rage. I do like both of them so far, but I am wondering if anything else would be better.

Cards I am considering are Rabblemaster, Phyrexian Revoker, Koth of the Hammer, and Bonfire of the Damned.

As far as sideboard, I do like either Eidolon or Sphere of Resistance as added combo hate. I also like Sulfur Elemental, Tormod's Crypt, Sudden Demise, a single Emrakul, Shattering Spree, Boil,
    I'm a huge fan of Trinisphere. It's a must counter. It serves not only as protecting your own spells vs cheap disruption but it prevents them from playing spells as well. I always play 4.

I think Hangarback is good, but Rablemaster does a decent impression and can apply more pressure in a short time which is ideal given the lock pieces we generally play.

As for the 4th trinisphere, the faster you close out the game, the less of a liability the 4th one is. In a slower variant where you are aiming to use Hangarback I would avoid it as the dead draw will bite you a lot more than in faster variants.

Jul 2013
    Rhode Island

I think decks playing Pia and Kiran Nalaar, AKA Beetleback Chief 2.0, would want to at least consider Hangarback.
    To be fair, you're supposed to build a sizable pyre underneath it and light it with an arrow from afar.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Feels so good to Moon people on Turn 1. Sometimes, even on Turn 2 then Magma Jet their 1 drop.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Juice11 View Post

4 Blood Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere

4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Lotus Petal

4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Hangarback Walker

4 Magma Jet
    2 Urza's Rage

4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    12 Mountain

I've been too chicken to test hangarback. Glad you seem to like it.
    Can you speak to its effectiveness versus stuff like Lilliana as postulated?

I really like bonfire a lot. Never tried Urza's rage but it seems okay. Against permission, what are you trying to bolt? Against agro, would prefer a sweeper like Firespout, Bonfire, even pyroclasm before urza's rage, I think. Maybe it's better in your burn-centric build.

If you use revokers, I'd keep them in the side. If you can't get golems to stick, your list looks very toothless in the threat department and I'm not convinced there is enough burn or eidolon triggers to pull out a win without doing some beating. How big are your hangarbacks? 4 mana for a 2/2 or 6 for a 3/3 seems lackluster. Is the real value in the post dying flying beats? How often does it die versus exiled?

Thank you for your list! Looks fun!

If you've got 8ish moons, 8 sol lands, 4-12 other lock pieces, this is the right thread regardless of there being dragons in the list or not unless you're running painter's servant/grindstone. The name is basically the archetype not necessarily related to the creatures at this point. Werewolf and Goblin variants are some pages back.
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

I really like the idea of playing Endless One in Dragon Stompy. About a third of the games I play, I seem to get mana flooded with the deck and it would be amazing to be able to sink all that mana into a 9/9. And it could still be played as a 4/4 or 6/6 in other games where the deck isn't mana flooded.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Kant View Post
    I really like the idea of playing Endless One in Dragon Stompy. About a third of the games I play, I seem to get mana flooded with the deck and it would be amazing to be able to sink all that mana into a 9/9. And it could still be played as a 4/4 or 6/6 in other games where the deck isn't mana flooded.

It's just a 9/9 though. No evasion, no extra abilities, it seems just ok to me.

Jul 2013
    Rhode Island

Update to build

4 SSG
    4 Magus
    4 Prophetic Flamespeaker
    4 Rabbles
    4 Thunderbreak Regent

4 Seething Song

4 Blood Moon

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    3 Trinisphere
    2 Umezawa's Jite
    1 Sword of War and Peace

8 Sol Lands
    10 Mountains

Sideboard
    2 Anarchy
    1 Emrakul
    2 Manic Vandal
    2 Outpost Siege
    2 Sudden Demise
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Uba Mask

I saw a list on a deck aggregator website (MTG Goldfish) that was playing Flamespeaker in a deck with the old tech of Raiders and RPD. While I certainly like that build too, and the player was also on Punishing Fire+Grove too, I feel like Raiders and RPD are dated tech. He was also playing REB and Pyroblast in the side and that made me cringe. I replaced them with Rabbles and Thunderbreak Regent. I'm testing Regent but he seems like a better upgrade to RPD--I was playing Stormbreath before and even with Seething Songs, five mana seemed a bit of a stretch for me.

Or it could have just been me--I'm super out of practice with Dragon Stompy so I have to practice it more and more again. Ugh the deck is so unforgiving! But i digress.

Sideboard for me needs so much work. Uba Mask has been good, but not great. I will probably keep 2, and cut the 3rd. I really want to play Pyrokinesis.

Also, nothing from BFZ has really piqued my attention for this deck. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Redkid43 View Post
    Update to build

4 SSG
    4 Magus
    4 Prophetic Flamespeaker
    4 Rabbles
    4 Thunderbreak Regent

4 Seething Song

4 Blood Moon

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    3 Trinisphere
    2 Umezawa's Jite
    1 Sword of War and Peace

8 Sol Lands
    10 Mountains

Sideboard
    2 Anarchy
    1 Emrakul
    2 Manic Vandal
    2 Outpost Siege
    2 Sudden Demise
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Uba Mask

I saw a list on a deck aggregator website (MTG Goldfish) that was playing Flamespeaker in a deck with the old tech of Raiders and RPD. While I certainly like that build too, and the player was also on Punishing Fire+Grove too, I feel like Raiders and RPD are dated tech. He was also playing REB and Pyroblast in the side and that made me cringe. I replaced them with Rabbles and Thunderbreak Regent. I'm testing Regent but he seems like a better upgrade to RPD--I was playing Stormbreath before and even with Seething Songs, five mana seemed a bit of a stretch for me.

Or it could have just been me--I'm super out of practice with Dragon Stompy so I have to practice it more and more again. Ugh the deck is so unforgiving! But i digress.

Sideboard for me needs so much work. Uba Mask has been good, but not great. I will probably keep 2, and cut the 3rd. I really want to play Pyrokinesis.

Also, nothing from BFZ has really piqued my attention for this deck. Ugh.
    I've very interested to hear about specific experiences with Uba Mask.

Also, I put three Pyroblast in my board for tonight's weekly. I'm finally going to bite the bullet and take out the chalices to have a chance at countering some important spells against my horrible match ups (omni, miracles). This debate rages on so I guess I just have to see how it works out.

How has your experiences with Flamespeaker and Sword of War and Peace going? How does it favor versus Jitte?

You don't prefer Stormbreath over Regent? Curious to hear reasons since you have the songs for it. Thanks for keeping us updated.
    I'll try to put up a report for tonight's event with my updated list. Still messing around with sideboard as always. I need some fresh tech for omni & miracles (thorn?).

Jan 2013

Is the moggcatcher version of this deck viable any longer? Or is it just dead?

Quote Originally Posted by potatodavid View Post
    Is the moggcatcher version of this deck viable any longer? Or is it just dead?
    It's more viable than Dragon.dec. Unless you like losing to goyf, batterskull and planeswalkers.

Jul 2013
    Rhode Island

The songs help do degenerate things like turn 1 Blood Moon and Chalice at 1. I feel like that is more pressuring than Stormbreath.

Without Chalice at 1, a Swords Regent causes a 7 point swing in our favor (gain 4, they loose 3).

Again, my distaste for Stormbreath simply comes from inexperience. I need to get the deck more under my fingers before I start making my own misenformed choices. Ack.

Tolstoy with Flamespeaker is great. It comes up rarely, but it's wild when it works. You can basically 1 shot them which is right in vein with what the deck wants to do. The problem is Abrupt Decay--let's test Feast and Famine I guess?

Uba Mask is good, not great. Comes in against blue decks with brainstorm, but it's stellar against Miracles. They can't hide stuff with Top well or do fancy tricks like Terminus mid combat off of a Top draw. That happened one game and boy oh boy did it make the match up a little better. Rabbles is already good against them and messing their draws and top of deck helped way more.

It FEELS like Chains, but 4 mana is a lot and you need to invest a turn into it.

Jan 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Blastoderm View Post
    It's more viable than Dragon.dec. Unless you like losing to goyf, batterskull and planeswalkers.
    Yeah i don't have too many of those in my meta. Lots of lands, lots of combo. I figure if i can drop a turn 1 moon/chalice/3ball i should be okay.

Thread Information