Page 98 of 197 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102108148 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by potatodavid View Post
    I am going to try something similar and see how it goes. I feel like this was a budget deck that just went on a tear and landed in all the right MU's for the day.
    I hate to blame someone's success on luck but I have to agree, just don't see how a lot of these deck building choices are optimal.

Jan 2013
    Land of Snow and Purple Rain

Was just messing around with the matron list. it honestly feels extremely awkward. Decided to change things up a bit and drop all 4. Suggestions are needed. Hoping to optimise this a little more before thursday.

4XTomb
    4x City
    9x Mountain
    3x Chrome Mox
    4x Cavern

4x Mogg Catcher
    4x Simian Spirit Guide
    1x Settler
    1x Tuktuk
    1x Kiki Jiki
    2x SGC
    1x Krenko
    3x Rabblemaster

4x Moon Men
    4x Moon

2x Jitte
    4x Chalice
    4x 3 ball.

I think if I see a lot of S&T. I will try the Matron Build. Seems really strong if you can search for any number of answers.

Was just messing around with the matron list. it honestly feels extremely awkward. Decided to change things up a bit and drop all 4. Suggestions are needed. Hoping to optimise this a little more before thursday.

4XTomb
    4x City
    9x Mountain
    3x Chrome Mox
    4x Cavern

4x Mogg Catcher
    4x Simian Spirit Guide
    1x Settler
    1x Tuktuk
    1x Kiki Jiki
    2x SGC
    1x Krenko
    3x Rabblemaster

4x Moon Men
    4x Moon

2x Jitte
    4x Chalice
    4x 3 ball.

I think if I see a lot of S&T. I will try the Matron Build. Seems really strong if you can search for any number of answers.
    Moggcatcher does the same (grabs stingscourger). I would -1 Krenko and +1 SCG in your list.

I will do my best to attempt answering everyone's questions if I leave something out let me know.

Sandstone needle is slower than city of traitors but in no way limits your land drops and provides a color of mana that is more appropriate for the amount of RR casting cost cards.
    Red blast is just good enough in the current meta that it's non-bo with chalice is worth having them both. at times it may be removed from board if dig being baned makes tons of problematic blue cards irrelevant but until then its a good answer to countermagic on your important spells and hate for TNN and such.

Matron is being played strictly as moggcatcher 5-8 also a budget option as imperial recruiter is just way to pricey for me to bother with however the added benefit is its better synergy with Krenko, catcher, SGC, and so on.

the 3 of chalice was because I had three of them on me at the time T-sphere and chalice as four of made me run into either more than I cared to although in the future I will likely be running 4 chalice as it was by far the best performing lock piece between the two.

Magus of the Moon is just Blood moon #5 I had almost 0 instances of ever wanting to tutor for it as blood moon is a better permanent and with 4 MB shows up most games.

The use of cavern of souls as a 4 of is catering to the tribal nature of the deck and thus far has been very useful. the guarantee of resolving your threats through balance and force of will is not something that can be downplayed in my opinion.

As for Boil/boiling seas I understand that boil is strictly better however I only had one of each...

As for my amount of luck in the tournament I had a lot of good draws. the biggest advantage you have as a strategy like this is catching your opponent off guard. most people we're only vaguely familiar with the moggcatcher lists and bloodmoon is a very powerful card in a format of tricolor decks and fetchlands, and of course I am very familiar with the format so I was knowledgeable about all of the decks I played against all of which worked in my favor.

As for the land vs mana producing permanents and such I can only say that extra mountains are much much better against wastelands, and that chrome mox is a mediocre card that trades card advantage for an extra mana source. I dropped my fourth after much playtesting and despising it every time I drew into sans my opening hand (slight exaggeration)

There are several changes I would make to the deck for future use:
    -1 Chandra + one chalice: Chandra while being a decent card is really just a howling mine that can do a bad staff of nin impersonation her ultimate is useless in my list and I felt like lowering the curve to include a fourth chalice would be stronger.
    -1 sandstone needle + one city of traitors: I find sandstone usually better but to many makes it a bit slow plus A-tomb # 5 is nice to have

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHeart View Post
    I will do my best to attempt answering everyone's questions.
    Thanks for sharing man. Congrats on your performane and welcome to the Source!

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Thanks for sharing man. Congrats on your performane and welcome to the Source!
    Thanks been here alot before but didnt have an account

Jan 2013

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHeart View Post
    Thanks been here alot before but didnt have an account
    will definitely be trying something similar to your list out. Especially after looking at your changes. Congrats on your good results!

will definitely be trying something similar to your list out. Especially after looking at your changes. Congrats on your good results!
    Thanks let us know how it works for ya I definitely think the deck can use some tweaking

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    Sooo... the ol' "dies to removal"?

Edit: I reread and actually understand what you're saying now about REBs. Still really confused as to your general outlook on boarding Chalices tho.
    Thanks to Ace/Homebrew for articulating what I did poorly, apparently.

I'll side chalice out when I'm going to bring in blasts to do work against cards that chalice can't deal with. If I'm not playing the chalice in my hand so that I can blast the Show and Tell that will end me if it resolves, why isn't the chalice a different card? I'm very open to hearing other opinions with examples if anyone thinks taking chalices out for blasts if ever a bad idea.
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Played the following list to go 2-2 last night. First time playing it, super fun deck, definitely needs tweaking though. I also had a sideboard built from scraps with only half a plan towards the meta I usually see.

List
    Creatures:
    4 revoker
    4 magus
    4 rabblemaster
    4 thunder break
    4 stormbreath

Accelerant
    4 chrome mox
    4 seething song
    4 ssg

Prison
    4 chalice
    3 blood moon
    3 trinishpere

Lands
    4 tomb
    4 city
    10 mountain

Thoughts: the redundancy was important with some cards, but others it was too much. I know this is a pretty simple list. Going forward I'd like to cut 1 stormbreath, 2 magus, 1 seething song. Probably fill in with 2 rakka Mar, 1 koth and 1 sword/jitte. Also considering pulling 2 mountain and 2 city of traitors for 2 needle and 2 wasteland.

Matches;
    Bug delver 2-0
    G1 turn 1 moon meets FoW, turn 2 moon gets him to scoop
    G2 moon him on t2 he has death right and 2 flipped delvers by t3, on t4 I start playing thundetbreaks ftw

Some junk/maverick/true name deck
    Game one result in me dying to TNN being pumped by 2 noble hierarch
    G2 thunderbreak on t2 w/ ssg protecting it from daze followed up by bloodmoon shut the game down quick.
    G3 he has quasali pridemage and two hierarch with a jitte on the pridemage I pyroclasm, but he still has a counter on jitte, I lose

Burn
    G1 turn 1 chalice into trinishpere into thunderbreak
    G2 I take a lot from tombs and as I'm set up for the win the following turn at 8 life he double fireblasts me
    G3 chalice trinisphere and rabble master take care of business

Omnitell
    G1 almost had him, then he released the ants on me with omniscience on top
    G2 emrakul after a million cantrips all I had on board were lock pieces and moon men

With the likely uptick in Sneak and Show are people going to start running revoker main?

Quote Originally Posted by rlesko View Post
    With the likely uptick in Sneak and Show are people going to start running revoker main?
    Not sure how large a portion of the meta will be sneak but someone from the Source was already playing it at my weekly last night.
    I think we'll see more BGx which will have interesting targets for Revoker as well. Deed being the main one as it seems to be seeing a lot of play and it nukes our 3CMC collection quite nicely.
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

I tried out Hunter's list tonight with the following changes:

Main deck:
    -1 Goblin Rabblemaster
    -1 Krenko, Mob Boss
    +2 Magus of the Moon

-1 Chandra, Pyromaster
    +1 Chalice of the Void

-2 Sandstone Needle
    +2 City of Traitors

Sideboard:
    -1 Sphere of Resistance
    -1 Vexing Shusher
    -1 Red Elemental Blast
    -1 Boiling Seas
    +1 Ensnaring Bridge
    +1 Sulfur Elemental
    +2 Phyrexian Revoker

I went 2-2 and know where I made mistakes. Lessons were re-learned (it has been a while since I've played Moggcatcher and even longer since I've used Goblin Matron.

Sandstone Needle isn't a terrible card. I don't know that it is better in the deck than City, but I will continue testing it.

Goblin Matron surprised me greatly! I liked it a lot. Imperial Recruiter may be the better card, but I do not see the improvement Recruiter adds in this version of the deck being worth $698...

I'd like to test the Lightning Crafter combo (probably in the sideboard) and think Goblin Chirurgeon is the better sac outlet than Skirk Prospector.

Jan 2013

Goblin Chirurgeon is the better sac outlet than Skirk Prospector.
    No.

Keep in mind the chirurgeon taps whatever it regenerates.

No.

This is incorrect. The target is tapped only if it would actually be destroyed.

Feb 2014

No.

And? For the combo, you can always sac the token championing Kiki-Jiki and target the chirurgeon himself.

So it's more up to the better illustration of the chirurgeon (and maybe its ability to regenerates your important critters) vs the mana producing ability of the prospector. I think the mana can be very important here.

Why play these cute combos that remind me of my Krenko EDH when you can just get siege-gang each turn?

Mar 2013
    Richmond, VA

I played a mono red stompy list last night that resembled the list Bahra posted a few months ago, to a 0-2 record in the Legacy DE, I really wanted to try Avaricious Dragon and to be honest I don't think he is very good at least not as a 4 of like I tried. Now my question is how do you approach the miracles MU? or what cards should I have in my deck in order to have an advantage in this specific MU?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Blastoderm View Post
    Why play these cute combos that remind me of my Krenko EDH when you can just get siege-gang each turn?
    Engineered Plague, Ensnaring Bridge, Zealous Persecution, Golgari Charm, Goblin Sharpshooter, Electrickery, Empty the Warrens... Reasons exist, although they are admittedly narrow.

Don't get me wrong, SGC wins games! And is overwhelmingly what should be found with Moggcatcher.
    I'm just talking about dedicating 2 sideboard spots for a potentially surprising combo win that doesn't use the attack step. I'm not even recommending it at this point! Just interested to try it out. It helps that both cards aren't necessarily useless.

Engineered Plague, Ensnaring Bridge, Zealous Persecution, Golgari Charm, Goblin Sharpshooter, Electrickery, Empty the Warrens... Reasons exist, although they are admittedly narrow.

Don't get me wrong, SGC wins games! And is overwhelmingly what should be found with Moggcatcher.
    I'm just talking about dedicating 2 sideboard spots for a potentially surprising combo win that doesn't use the attack step. I'm not even recommending it at this point! Just interested to try it out. It helps that both cards aren't necessarily useless.
    Ah for the sideboard I suppose it's fine. I just hate putting these 1-of "toolbox" creatures in the maideck (kikjiki, goblin settler, etc). However I do have a Tuktuk scrapper in the main since blade will most likely become a thing again. My toolbox creatures of choice are only sided in if thought to have a significant impact:

- 1x Sharpshooter vs D&T/Elves/token decks
    - 2x Stingscourger vs Reanimator/Show and Tell/Big things
    - An extra Tuktuk scrapper - vs whatever necessary

Also don't get me wrong... huge fan of goblin combo since my Krenko EDH is a pure combo deck :) If you decide to play lightning crafter I think Rabblemasters are a must in the main in order to be able to cast it. This I can get behind since it's awesome even by itself.

Thread Information