Page 149 of 197 FirstFirst ... 4999139145146147148149150151152153159 ... LastLast
Results 2,961 to 2,980 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

anybody testing Ghirapur Aether Grid in stead of Quicksmith rebel slot .. being lower in mana cost / re-usable and fiery confluence proof ?

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    10 Mountains
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere
    4 Ensnaring Bridge

4 Sin Prodder
    1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar

4 Chandra, Torch of Defiance

4 Fiery Confluence
    2 Magma Jet

I'm not sold on Koth nor Quicksmith not Hazoret. The deck doesn't need more 4 drops. It needs more consistency or filtering at lower mana points.
    If you want any help against reanimator, I can give you my experiences (I haven't lost against them yet, but small sample size).

Have you tried gemstone caverns instead of 2 mountains? I've found them to be so valuable.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by heyoka View Post
    anybody testing Ghirapur Aether Grid in stead of Quicksmith rebel slot .. being lower in mana cost / re-usable and fiery confluence proof ?
    This is looking promising. Thanks for the suggestion.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Why no equip? Just curious.

Simian Spirit Guide becomes a mid-late game beatstick with a Sword of Fire and Ice.

And so does Zoetic Cavern, if you want a better topdeck than Mountain.
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."
    Drunken Master strategy. If I don't know what I'm doing, how would you?

Feb 2008
    Breda Area, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by frogger42 View Post
    Why no equip? Just curious.

Simian Spirit Guide becomes a mid-late game beatstick with a Sword of Fire and Ice.

And so does Zoetic Cavern, if you want a better topdeck than Mountain.
    Because an equipment is a lousy topdeck when you are behind or on an empty board. This deck used to play equipment (Swords / Jitte) and most people moved away from it. Usually the criteria "Can a card dig me out of a hole by itself" is one I like.

Regarding the cavern..... You really want to add more colorless mana to this deck? You are already playing 8 remember? I would never play that in my deck, I would rather play Mishra’s Factory over it and I wouldn't even go there in this deck.

Top 4-ed and split a Legacy 1k today with 31 players. Was running Dragon Stax:

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    11 Mountain
    1 Gemstone Caverns

3 Magus of the Moon
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Avaricious Dragon

4 Chrome Mox
    1 Mox Diamond
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Smokestack

Sideboard
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Trinisphere
    2 Pyrokinesis
    1 Fiery Confluence
    1 Volcanic Fallout
    1 Frenzied Fugue
    1 Stranglehold
    1 Confusion in the Ranks
    1 Torpor Orb

Frenzied Fugue was a fun card to try, but there weren't many situations where it was useful, as most games were grindy with just a few 1/X or X/1 creatures in play. Confusion was for S&T, but seems loose as a 1-of. Stranglehold was to help against elves and maybe catch some other things, as it can't be decayed and turns of rec sage tutor and fetches. Torpor Orb was really good, as it helped against D&T for many reasons and also great against elves (rec sage / visionary). The Gemstone Caverns performed well, it only bit me one game the whole day where i somehow didn't have a 2nd red source for two turns, but i managed to get at least 4 luck counters, so definitely worth it.

Gonna update the sideboard to the following:

4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Trinisphere
    1 Pyrokinesis
    1 Fiery Confluence
    1 Volcanic Fallout
    1 Sulfur Elemental
    1 Pyroclasm
    2 Torpor Orb
    1 XXXX

EDIT: Thinking on this some more, I thinking Walking Ballista deserves a slot. It helps if you flood, it's great against D&T as mom doesn't protect. It helps against young pyro decks. Not sure where to find room for it main or side.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

A harsh reality we face is that sometimes we're just dead to certain combinations and plays. Super unfair decks can generally have their way with us. Our only shot is to sideboard very narrow cards. Seeing as how our maindeck is tuned to defeat vast swaths of the meta, it's not a bad idea to just run silver bullets in our side. Just my mentality about this deck. We don't need to be janking it up for tech's sake. Run solid cards, lose only when we really have to

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I wrote a little primer about Red Prison after playing with a bunch last weekend. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

@shadowgripper

I'm really happy you picked up the deck and gave it a spin a few times. I've been at the beach over the weekend and haven't thought a out it much. I hope it was fun to play!

I think as far as cuts the 21 mana sources in some configuration are untouchable.

The Gemstone Cavern for a mountain is a great inclusion.

I bought two walking balista a few weeks ago and never put them in. I think they are very good answers. I want to try those or Siege-gang Commander as a two of. I don't have Elves! in my meta and I figured those two cards would feel really good and dree up the board to fight combo. I have felt that Blue decks or just decks light on permenants have a tough time in this match up and that is even further complecated by the confusion of what the lock it.

I like Torpor Orb alot and I have tested pretty extensively against D&T and have found that Sulfur Elemental isn't really needed as much as the early Bridge lock can get around prelate with the dragon and Rabblemaster in a long game.
    Fiery Confluence is something that I think needs to be a 2-3 in the board. The value is too good for it to not be in the 76. I think it's better in the board than Pyrokenesis and do understand that it's CMC is 5.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

This list top 4'd a 298-person Japanese tournament:

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    11 Mountain
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    3 Hazoret the Fervent
    4 Magus of the Moon
    1 Quicksmith Rebel
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Fiery Confluence
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Koth of the Hammer

2 Quicksmith Rebel
    3 Sulfur Elemental
    3 Volcanic Fallout
    2 Jokulhaups
    1 Slice and Dice
    4 Leyline of the Void

3 Hazoret and 3 Quicksmith Rebel. Interesting. Lots of board wipes in the sb.

Oct 2012
    Italy

I don't really understand if japanese players are trolls or what ... jokulhaups? really? i understand that you probably just win if it resolves because blood moon and planeswalkers stay on the field but come on, you can do better than playing six mana sorceries in legacy.

I like the rest of his list though... there too many 4 drops but since there are no good 3 drops that work well with ensnaring bridge it may be correct. I never liked sin prodder to begin with

Quote Originally Posted by LeoCop 90 View Post
    I don't really understand if japanese players are trolls or what ... jokulhaups? really? i understand that you probably just win if it resolves because blood moon and planeswalkers stay on the field but come on, you can do better than playing six mana sorceries in legacy.

I like the rest of his list though... there too many 4 drops but since there are no good 3 drops that work well with ensnaring bridge it may be correct. I never liked sin prodder to begin with
    Worth noting that it also has synergy with Hazoret. She stays around and whatever bridge or blockers that were keeping her at bay are suddenly gone.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

I really want to play Dragon Stompy in Vegas but I have no idea which build to run.

Aug 2007
    Williamsburg, Brooklyn

Quote Originally Posted by TLK View Post
    I really want to play Dragon Stompy in Vegas but I have no idea which build to run.
    The consistent one.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMycon
    It's really unfortunate that even a complete imbecile can learn. I guess you truly can't drive intuition out of anything.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Which is what?

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

This one

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Feb 2008
    Breda Area, The Netherlands

l
    Quote Originally Posted by QQQ View Post
    The consistent one.
    a constistent mono red deck that relies on top decks.... that's a contradictio in terminis...

Been a long time.
    Just wanted to post my GP Vegas list:

Sideboard
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Ashen Rider
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Sulfur Elemental
    2 Sudden Shock

Mainboard
    11 Mountain
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Sword of War and Peace
    2 Spellskite
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Fiery Confluence
    4 Magus of the Moon
    3 Trinisphere
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Chrome Box
    3 Sin Prodder
    4 Blood Moon

Spellskite has been amazing. Protects Moons/Chalices from Krosan Grip, Decay, Plow, Pridemage, Reclamation Sage, etc etc etc etc etc.
    Some guys have been messing around with it in Modern and thought I'd try it as I made room for a few slots.
    Took out Pia and Kiran for the Sword because it has 8 cards in the 4CMC slot already and if I was going to include a 1 of I think it should be capable of just winning the game.

Cheers.
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Quote Originally Posted by Octopusman View Post
    Been a long time.
    Just wanted to post mt GP Vegas list.

Cheers.
    I think the amount of Sulfur Elemental in the board is a little too high now that Miracles doesn't have as many Mentor shenanigans. It's good agaisnt D&T, but I don't know if a four of is really necessary for the match up with the 4 Fiery Confluence main. I also think Jitte would be better than the sword on paper even though I haven't tested it. Seems pretty good with Spellskite though. I don't have as much experience with that type of list to really be credible.

Spellskite has been amazing. Protects Moons/Chalices from Krosan Grip
    i think not... ^^

anyways how you fill the 14-18 flex slots for what you think will be the meta is your choice... ;-)

Thread Information