Page 112 of 197 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115116122162 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,240 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    For instance? I don't necessarily disagree, but I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on which match-ups in particular are improved. And I guess which get worse.
    I guess the specific example I'm thinking of is the Enchantress matchup, although it's not extremely popular. Merfolk, Miracles, and anything with Liliana seem improved as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by danpo View Post
    At minimum I'd say it outclasses Beetleback Chief.

Whats the verdict on Aftershock? Love the (potential) versatility. I just ordered some rabblemasters, Fiery Confluences, and scab clan berserkers

Also @ Ace / anyone can answer this

what Matchups does blood moon do the least work in? Thinking about the TKS sideboard.

Additionally, is there a recommended split of 3 drops vs 4 drops? I have so many different stompy "flex" cards, koth, rakka mar, chandra, rakdos pit dragon, gathan raiders, prophetic flamespeaker etc. I have no idea how to put them all together

It seems like most of the cards i've outlined above go into a "hellbent" build, thats gone out of flavor. But what about a card like Koth? Still good enough or no?
    Last edited by rlesko; 05-03-2016 at 03:32 PM.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Went 3-1 this week!

Main
    10 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    3 Prophetic Flamespeaker
    3 Thunderbreak Regent
    2 Sword of War and Peace
    1 Sin Prodder
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Magma Jet
    3 Fiery Confluence
    2 Koth of the Hammer

Sideboard
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Faerie Macabre
    3 Phyrexian Revoker

Changes from last time are:
    -3 Scab-Clan Berserker
    +1 Magma Jet
    +2 Koth of the Hammer

Storm is on the decline. I made a last second call to drop the Berserkers.

R1: Imperial Taxes, 2-1
    R2: RUG Delver, 1-2
    R3: 4C Delver, 2-0
    R4: Dark Maverick 2-0

Fiery Confluence stole game 2 against Imperial Taxes giving me the chance to win a third game.
    The games against RUG were close. 4C Delver and Mav were not.

Fiery Confluence was the MVP this week, destroying a Jitte with 5 counters on it against Mav. Turns out Thunderbreak Regent is real good against Jitte counters.

Sin Prodder never entered my hand. But it was in my deck for every game I played this week.

@rlesko - I drop Moons automatically against Burn, Painters, Goblins, Imperial Taxes, any deck that can shrug off Blood Moon. I'm also likely to switch to TKS, Revoker, and 3Sphere against Storm combo and Dredge. Depending on how I'm feeling, or if I think I'll catch my opponent off guard, I'll do the same against Miracles or Elves.

I've really liked Prophetic Flamespeaker and Thunderbreak Regent lately.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

If you like Flamespeaker, try him with Jitte or SoFI for extra insanity.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    If you like Flamespeaker, try him with Jitte or SoFI for extra insanity.
    Oh I have.

Geier Reach Bandit

Has anyone tried this in the main? 3/2 hasty for 2R seems good.

Flamespeaker is the real deal, eh? It seems like it takes so long to get the guy fully tricked out with your equipment, but maybe its just me. That's what's deterred me from trying him out.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by The Crow's Eye View Post
    Geier Reach Bandit/Vildin-Pack Alpha
    Has anyone tried this in the main? 3/2 hasty for 2R seems good.
    I have foil playsets of that and Breakneck Rider/Neck Breaker scheduled to arrive Saturday.

I don't expect these to make Werewolf Stompy more playable than other versions of the deck, but I wanted to test it before writing it off.

Thanks, I wasn't planning on going full werewolf; more like I just wanted another 3-drop that could explode at the drop of a hat. It seemed like GRB was my gal; she looks like she suffers from the same problems as Rabblemaster, that being the small toughness whereas the power is pretty , ah, powerful.

I have foil playsets of that and Breakneck Rider/Neck Breaker scheduled to arrive Saturday.

I don't expect these to make Werewolf Stompy more playable than other versions of the deck, but I wanted to test it before writing it off.
    Bandit intrigues me for sure. I think following her up with Instigator Gang is probably better than Rider. Maybe we'll get some more/better werewolves next set.
    Curious to hear how it goes!
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

@rlesko - I drop Moons automatically against Burn, Painters, Goblins, Imperial Taxes, any deck that can shrug off Blood Moon. I'm also likely to switch to TKS, Revoker, and 3Sphere against Storm combo and Dredge. Depending on how I'm feeling, or if I think I'll catch my opponent off guard, I'll do the same against Miracles or Elves.

I've really liked Prophetic Flamespeaker and Thunderbreak Regent lately.
    What about vs Miracles? Is shutting off their fetches in the face of SDT worth it? I could see switching to TKS + Revoker for your moons vs them. 3sphere also seems sub par vs them, correct?

How is 3sphere vs lands? One the reasons I'm drawn to this deck is the fact that is has very favorable match ups vs lands and eldrazi. If I was boarding vs lands, I would probably board in all the revokers, cut the magma jets, and I can see arguments to add faerie macabre as well as 3 sphere for the fiery confluences / koths?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Went 3-1 again last night.

Main deck:
    10 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon

4 Prophetic Flamespeaker
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    3 Thunderbreak Regent
    2 Sword of War and Peace
    2 Koth of the Hammer

4 Magma Jet
    3 Fiery Confluence

Sideboard:
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Faerie Macabre
    3 Phyrexian Revoker

Changes from last time are:
    -1 Sin Prodder
    +1 Prophetic Flamespeaker

R1: Burn, 2-0
    R2: Shardless BUG, 1-2
    R3: Mono 12 Post, 2-0
    R4: ANT, 2-1

No real comments this week...

@rlesko - I agree that 3sphere is sub-par against Miracles. Definitely bring in Revokers. I'd probably go:
    -4 Blood Moon
    -4 Magus of the Moon
    +4 Thought-Knot Seer
    +3 Phyrexian Revoker
    +1 Trinisphere

3sphere against Lands can be tricky. If you keep Turn 1 Trinisphere and they keep Wastelands, Ports, and Loam then you're in trouble. I'd keep in Fiery Confluence personally. Hitting their artifacts (especially Mox Diamonds) can keep them from getting back in a game, otherwise it throws damage at their face.

Went 3-1 again last night.
    2 Sword of War and Peace
    Do you feel like the 2 SoWP are the best equipments for Flamespeaker and Rabble? I'm pretty close to having cards for this list, might give it a try sometime if my local scene ever picks back up.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by square_two View Post
    Do you feel like the 2 SoWP are the best equipments for Flamespeaker and Rabble? I'm pretty close to having cards for this list, might give it a try sometime if my local scene ever picks back up.
    I don't think you can really go wrong with either SoWaP, SoFaI, or Jitte... I personally like the protection against and and believe SoWaP has higher potential to win a race while SoFaI and Jitte can better control the board. Your mileage may vary.

@rlesko - I agree that 3sphere is sub-par against Miracles. Definitely bring in Revokers. I'd probably go:
    -4 Blood Moon
    -4 Magus of the Moon
    +4 Thought-Knot Seer
    +3 Phyrexian Revoker
    +1 Trinisphere

3sphere against Lands can be tricky. If you keep Turn 1 Trinisphere and they keep Wastelands, Ports, and Loam then you're in trouble. I'd keep in Fiery Confluence personally. Hitting their artifacts (especially Mox Diamonds) can keep them from getting back in a game, otherwise it throws damage at their face.
    Good point about 3 sphere vs lands. It would seem dubious to try and go land drop for land drop in an 18 lands deck vs 36

I see you lost to shardless bug this week, do you think that is a bad match up? I played shardless for a bit and I always hated playing vs blood moons.

As I said before having positive match ups vs eldrazi and lands is really drawing me to the deck. Can you comment on the pros / cons of your current list to the one you ran here? http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...l=1#post922297

I like a lot of things in that build, such as the avalanche riders to screw up any basics which have already made their way in play, or to continually deter them from making 3 lands to play through 3 sphere.

I've noticed 18 vs 20 lands (With the inclusion of 4 caverns, I see a heavy human tribal approach there).

1. Do you think running scab clan and trinipshere are mutually exclusive?
    2. I like Koth as a threat thats not able to be answered via terminus / abrupt decay / other creature removal. Do you think you can't play Koth if you're playing the 8 mountain 4 cavern mana base?
    3. Why is the list with a seemingly lower mana curve playing 20 lands vs your list which plays 18?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by rlesko View Post
    I see you lost to shardless bug this week, do you think that is a bad match up? I played shardless for a bit and I always hated playing vs blood moons.
    My Shardless opponent hates playing against me, or at least says he does.
    Game 1 he kept 5 cards and I kept 7 (a no-lander with 2 moxen and 2 Spirit Guides, I was all-in on a turn 1 Flamespeaker). At the end of my first turn I had 1 card in hand. I won the cripple fight.
    Game 2 I kept 5 and he kept 7 (he also resolved all 4 Ancestral Visions...). All things considered, I put up a good fight.
    Game 3 I kept a hand that was all in on a turn 1 Rabblemaster with a Fiery Confluence and not much else. I believe he mulled to 6 and kept a hand with Force of Will. He countered my Rabblemaster and played a Goyf. Goyf hit me for 3 a turn while I drew land.

As I said before having positive match ups vs eldrazi and lands is really drawing me to the deck. Can you comment on the pros / cons of your current list to the one you ran here? http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...l=1#post922297
    The list I have been using lately is far more resilient to Punishing Fire. I have frequently used Fiery Confluence with either a Flamespeaker, Regent, or both on board to do 2 damage to creatures (and then hit face or an artifact), which is always a blowout.
    I would argue that the Human list is better (game 1) against a meta where Storm combo has a presence. I believe the Storm matchup in my current list goes from even/draw dependent to highly favored after boarding (- Blood Moon, - Magus of the Moon, -2 Magma Jet/-1 Fiery Confluence; + Thought-Knot Seer, + Trinisphere, + Phyrexian Revoker).

1. Do you think running scab clan and trinipshere are mutually exclusive?
    2. I like Koth as a threat thats not able to be answered via terminus / abrupt decay / other creature removal. Do you think you can't play Koth if you're playing the 8 mountain 4 cavern mana base?
    3. Why is the list with a seemingly lower mana curve playing 20 lands vs your list which plays 18?
    1. I do not, when I last used SCB I had a 2/2 split main deck (with the other 2/2 in the sideboard). Against Storm I would use all 8 cards. Otherwise I would usually use the better of the 2 games 2 and 3 while the lesser went in the board. The main thing SCB has going for it over Trinisphere is that it is a red non-artifact card (and therefore can be imprinted on Chrome Mox).
    2. It is probably easier if you go 9 Mountain/3 Cavern or 10 Mountain/2 Cavern. I would say the more copies of Koth you run, the more Mountains you should use. If he's a one-of then you are probably fine with 8 and 4.
    3. An argument could be made that the Human list is more mana-intensive (with echo and equip costs factored in), but I believe the main reason (the Human list is nedleeds', so honestly he'd have to explain his reasoning ) is because of Cavern of Souls. You can't just cut 4 Mountains and add 4 Caverns. I suspect that upping the land count by 2 mitigates the potential damage of adding more non-basic Mountains. I have seen lists that use 4 Caverns cut 1 or 2 Chrome Mox too.

The list I have been using lately is far more resilient to Punishing Fire. I have frequently used Fiery Confluence with either a Flamespeaker, Regent, or both on board to do 2 damage to creatures (and then hit face or an artifact), which is always a blowout.
    I would argue that the Human list is better (game 1) against a meta where Storm combo has a presence. I believe the Storm matchup in my current list goes from even/draw dependent to highly favored after boarding (- Blood Moon, - Magus of the Moon, -2 Magma Jet/-1 Fiery Confluence; + Thought-Knot Seer, + Trinisphere, + Phyrexian Revoker).
    Fiery Confluence does seem like an excellent main deck answer to cards such as Young P, Mentor, DRS, D&T etc and to keep board control. Storm has all but disappeared with the Eldrazi Menace around locally so I'm not too worried about that. On that same note, it seems like Goblin Rabblemaster is a bit random. I know he has excellent damage potential if unmolested but he dies to nearly ever form of removal and doesn't have haste. Is this just due to a lack of better options? Have you tried out additional dragons in that slot for synergy with thunderbreak regent or more prison elements such as 2 Trinisphere (thus freeing up sideboard slots).

Do you leave in blood moon vs D&T? On one hand I don't think I want to take 2 damage per ancient tomb activation. On the other hand, I might want the extra mana to play through thalia. On the OTHER hand (3 hands), Getting wasteland / ported out of the game seems awful. This seems like a bad match up, why not devote 2 Anarchy in the SB for it?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

It seems like Goblin Rabblemaster is a bit random. I know he has excellent damage potential if unmolested but he dies to nearly ever form of removal and doesn't have haste. Is this just due to a lack of better options?
    He's really an excellent card for this deck. He has the ideal mana cost () and under a lock (or stall) he can win the game on his own quickly. He also has the 'Goblin Guide Effect', where if you open on a hand with 2 and the ability to play them on turns 1 and 2, your chances of winning skyrocket. I had to be sold on him initially, but it was an easy sale once I actually tried him out.

Have you tried out additional dragons in that slot for synergy with thunderbreak regent or more prison elements such as 2 Trinisphere (thus freeing up sideboard slots).
    Dragons mean increasing the average mana cost in the deck. There are definitely builds that could benefit from Stormbreath Dragon, but not this one (I think Stormbreath would be amazing in a list that uses full playsets of Seething Song and Koth of the Hammer). I suppose Taurean Mauler is a dragon, but without Regent out the Mauler is unimpressive.

Do you leave in blood moon vs D&T? On one hand I don't think I want to take 2 damage per ancient tomb activation. On the other hand, I might want the extra mana to play through thalia. On the OTHER hand (3 hands), Getting wasteland / ported out of the game seems awful. This seems like a bad match up, why not devote 2 Anarchy in the SB for it?
    Anarchy is an amazing card that absolutely wrecks 1 match up... On top of that, sometimes they equip Phyrexian Revoker with SoFaI and are able to limit the effect of Anarchy. I've found I'd rather play Fiery Confluence.
    If the opponent is on Imperial Painter, I'm more inclined to board out all my Moons. In the past I would often board out the Blood Moons while keeping in the Maguses against mono- D&T. With my current build I would probably board out of Blood Moon and board into TKS, Revoker, and 1 Trinisphere.

He's really an excellent card for this deck. He has the ideal mana cost () and under a lock (or stall) he can win the game on his own quickly. He also has the 'Goblin Guide Effect', where if you open on a hand with 2 and the ability to play them on turns 1 and 2, your chances of winning skyrocket. I had to be sold on him initially, but it was an easy sale once I actually tried him out.
    Interesting. I guess I have a small aversion to him since he seems to be a nonbo with fiery confluence, dies to punishing fire, and doesn't trigger off thunderbreak. Do you find theres a lot of stalled out board states even without trinisphere?

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew
    Dragons mean increasing the average mana cost in the deck. There are definitely builds that could benefit from Stormbreath Dragon, but not this one (I think Stormbreath would be amazing in a list that uses full playsets of Seething Song and Koth of the Hammer). I suppose Taurean Mauler is a dragon, but without Regent out the Mauler is unimpressive.
    What about Avaricious Dragon? I agree I don't like going to 5cmc without running seething songs or more lands. But another 4/4 flyer for 4 doesn't seem bad, and his drawback doesn't even seem like much of a drawback.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew
    Anarchy is an amazing card that absolutely wrecks 1 match up... On top of that, sometimes they equip Phyrexian Revoker with SoFaI and are able to limit the effect of Anarchy. I've found I'd rather play Fiery Confluence.
    If the opponent is on Imperial Painter, I'm more inclined to board out all my Moons. In the past I would often board out the Blood Moons while keeping in the Maguses against mono- D&T. With my current build I would probably board out of Blood Moon and board into TKS, Revoker, and 1 Trinisphere.
    Fair enough. Fiery Confluence seems like an All star...

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Do you find theres a lot of stalled out board states even without trinisphere?
    Definitely! A Blood Mooned opponent with basics in their library and 0-1 basic on the board is usually in a stall. Likewise, Chalice @ 1 is never a lock but often a stall.

What about Avaricious Dragon?
    I have trouble getting past the situation where I cast it and pass the turn, discarding my hand. Then my opponent untaps and plows it...

Other than that, it's often a matter of space. I have eight 4 drops. I'd have to give up Koths or Confluences or raise my curve by cutting cheaper cards.

And if Rabblemaster is the low man on the totem pole, I still think it is better than Avaricious Dragon (while admittedly being easier to kill). The dragon comes down a turn later and takes 5 turns to kill with a single body. Rabblemaster kills in 4 turns with several bodies.

Dec 2013
    Barcelona

What about Avaricious Dragon? I agree I don't like going to 5cmc without running seething songs or more lands. But another 4/4 flyer for 4 doesn't seem bad, and his drawback doesn't even seem like much of a drawback
    My experience with avaricious dragon is that the dragon generates conflicts with magma jet and confluences as you can't keep in hand for using in the right moment. On the other side is excellent with ensnaring bridge.

For Goblin rabblemaster I have similar thoughts as Riesko, against cards as Thalia is almost useless. Maybe is time for Taurean again, as seems a good complement to Berserker.

Thread Information