Page 147 of 197 FirstFirst ... 4797137143144145146147148149150151157 ... LastLast
Results 2,921 to 2,940 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Feb 2013
    Canada

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

I'm glad to see some discussion about the Death and Taxes match-up. What are people boarding out against this deck?

MoM+Thalia seems like it can be answered by the super narrow, but DnT smashing, Sulfur Elemental. Casting cost of 2R makes it pretty perfect for this deck as well.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Hopkins View Post
    I'm glad to see some discussion about the Death and Taxes match-up. What are people boarding out against this deck?
    I board out Chalice, Trinisphere, Koth, and a few Blood Moon for:
    Pyrokinesis, Sulfur Elemental, Ratchet Bombs. Basically the stack based control for removal spells. Maindeck Aensnaring Bridge is nice, but you need something to kill their taxing effects. Some meta games call for Anarchy (vs Enchantress for example). Ratchet Bomb helps clean up Moms and Vials.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Went 2-2 at an fnm, both wins were against BR reanimator and the losses to nic fit and topless miracles.

With my losses it was just several bad top decks in a row that gave the opponent the room to win.

In both BR matches I suffered from bad draws but they did as well (one game I won while drawing 3 of my blood moons in turns 2-4 while the other was in hand).

Against BR reanimator blood moon is surprisingly useful at slowing them down.

Would you say that the bad drawing was just one of those days?

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Absolutely, we're a mono red deck. Them's the beats, sometimes. I personally like anarchy and ratchet bomb and a couple damage sweepers, namely sudden Demise and a 4th confluence. That could be anything else honestly but it's just what I have in my current board. I'll be taking out some number of moons, chalice on the draw-3ball on the play.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jandax View Post
    Absolutely, we're a mono red deck. Them's the beats, sometimes. I personally like anarchy and ratchet bomb and a couple damage sweepers, namely sudden Demise and a 4th confluence. That could be anything else honestly but it's just what I have in my current board. I'll be taking out some number of moons, chalice on the draw-3ball on the play.

I think the goblin prison list is funnier tthan the standard one, thoughtS?

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Yeah my preference is gobbos. We can't really go wider to win so we have to out prison them and go over the top with burn or hard locking them out of the game. Chandra and moggcatcher will be our wincons and i do think chalice is still good md because it neuters swords which will be the best answer they have to our creatures. We basically need to shave our hate cards from the main to more adept removal from the side and play for the long game. Bridge will hold them back, moons and hate will thwart their own taxing strategy while we sculpt a board state that'll either let us ult Chandra ftw or fling enough gobbos at their head via sgc or just kiki-settler them back to turn 0. It'll come mostly down to skill, as luck is the ever present variable.

Yeah my preference is gobbos. We can't really go wider to win so we have to out prison them and go over the top with burn or hard locking them out of the game. Chandra and moggcatcher will be our wincons and i do think chalice is still good md because it neuters swords which will be the best answer they have to our creatures. We basically need to shave our hate cards from the main to more adept removal from the side and play for the long game. Bridge will hold them back, moons and hate will thwart their own taxing strategy while we sculpt a board state that'll either let us ult Chandra ftw or fling enough gobbos at their head via sgc or just kiki-settler them back to turn 0. It'll come mostly down to skill, as luck is the ever present variable.

What is ur list?

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Posted several pages back

Card options vs D&T:
    - Jitte is a blowout. If we get counters on to a Jitte (watch out for StoP, active Mother of Runes and vial in Mirran Crusader or Flickerwisp), the game is typically over unless they vial in or play Revoker naming Jitte or use Council's Judgment on Jitte. 1-1 split md-sb is my recommendation into a D&T heavy meta. Jitte counters can deal with Mother of Runes, Mirran Crusader and anyone they would like to equip with something nasty. Batterskull and StoP are amongst their other "outs".
    - Ensnaring Bridge + Chandra / Sin Prodder / Quicksmith Rebel can be a blowout. At least until they resolve Council's Judgment on Bridge and/or Revoker on Chandra. Q.Rebel is a personal favorite of mine in this MU.
    - Smuggler's Copter, excellent vs. Prot Red guys. Also carries Jitte like a champ.
    - Thunderbreak Regent, great blocker and attacker unless they get Mirran Crusader, SoFI or flier + Batterskull/Jitte
    - Hazoret the Fervent, always a great blocker unless they have Mirran Crusader, SoFI or flyers
    - Revoker naming Stoneforge Mystic (to keep them off Batterskull and/or SoFI) or Mother of Runes
    - Meltdown (be careful of your own Revoker, bad vs Batterskull)
    - Shattering Spree (Replicate copies are not cast, so they resolve under Chalice)
    - Sudden Shock vs Mother of Runes
    - Slice and Dice, cycling
    - Volcanic Fallout
    - Rolling Earthquake
    - Sudden Demise (not as good as Slice and Dice, Volcanic Fallout or Rolling Earthquake since their Revoker lives)
    - Sulfur Elemental (not always as good as Slice and Dice, Volcanic Fallout or Rolling Earthquake since their Revoker lives)
    - Our Batterskull, especially if we get to equip it on to a colorless guy.

What nasty stuff competent D&T players have in store for us:
    - Batterskull
    - Jitte
    - MD SoFI which completely destroys us
    - MD Mirran Crusader
    - Sanctum Prelate @ 4 to shut down Confluence and Chandra
    - MD Revoker naming Chandra
    - MD Council's Judgment vs MD Bridge
    - SB Seal of Cleansing vs Bridge
    - SB Absolute Law which completely destroys us

D&T configuration running MD SoFI + SB Absolute Law is the hardest build for us to deal with. If you ever encounter a list without either in the 75, consider yourself lucky. Additionally, if the opponent is competent enough to choose 4 into Sanctum Prelate, we can be in deep trouble.

MD Jitte, MD Revoker, MD Quicksmith Rebel + SB artifact/creature mass wipes is how we can win this MU. For our win condition, we can either hide behind a Bridge (Chandra, Sin Prodder, Quicksmith Rebel) or dominate the airspace with Dragons and/or Smuggler's Copter -> Finish with Fiery Confluence or 2 into their face. Colorless guys with 3+ toughness can be super useful vs. prot red.

The MU win percentage has more to do with the D&T player's chosen 75 and their knowledge of our deck list in order to choose correctly for their Revoker, Prelate, Rishadan Port and Judgment. Assuming decent 75 + competent pilot, D&T has the advantage. But as long as we can keep their life gain and prot red in check, we are in the fight for the win. Sin Prodder triggers can really stack up in a grindy game and Prodder is not shut down by Revoker or Prelate @ 4.

Has anyone tried [card]avaricious dragon[/card] or [card]curse of chaos[/card] to get some card filtering?

Quote Originally Posted by Valleysdai View Post
    Has anyone tried [card]avaricious dragon[/card] or [card]curse of chaos[/card] to get some card filtering?
    I have been tweaking this for a couple of months now, but haven't posted it here. The deck has around a 70% win rate and takes a tremendous amount of practice with mulliganing, but once you understand the mechanics it is very rewarding and fun to play

LANDS:

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    13 Mountains

CREATURES:

4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Avaricious Dragon
    3 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

OTHER SPELLS:

4 Blood Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Mox Diamond
    4 Smokestack

SIDEBOARD:

2 Fiery Confluence
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Sun Droplet
    4 Trinisphere
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

As always the board is a work in progress, but the main deck is as good as it has ever been.

@Princessforfun

What decisions do you typically make when choosing between taking a mulligan or keeping? Are you basically looking for a fast Chalice/Moon-effect? Mox diamond seems a bit scary with only 17 lands.

@shadowgripper

The deck has 21 lands and yes. Acceleration + pay off of two locks or lock + threat is what you are looking for. Especially in g2/3. You just have to be disciplined and remember that bridge gets better when mulling.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Interesting point to take away: bridge and Mulligans work together

Interesting point to take away: bridge and Mulligans work together

Sarcasm? Lol

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Yeah a lil. Bridge doesn't need a Mulligan to get better😛

Could be down to play style but aggressively short handing oneself while giving into variance doesn't seem like the best of strategeries for mono red

Yeah a lil. Bridge doesn't need a Mulligan to get better😛

Could be down to play style but aggressively short handing oneself while giving into variance doesn't seem like the best of strategeries for mono red

I didn't mean intentionally mulling. This deck doesn't have a problem dumping it's hand, but some people are a little more shy about mulling and end up losing games. Bridge is a card that even if you have to mull to three in G1 you are still going to be in ok shape. That was the point.

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Princess, I like your list but I'd want some number of crucible of worlds to recur lands for smokestack...

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Princessforfun View Post
    I didn't mean intentionally mulling. This deck doesn't have a problem dumping it's hand, but some people are a little more shy about mulling and end up losing games. Bridge is a card that even if you have to mull to three in G1 you are still going to be in ok shape. That was the point.
    I got ya. Only experience can teach the discipline needed to best guide decision making regarding keepable hands. I agree with your logic that we keep hands with accel+lock-or-threat, all the while playing towards some kind of end game. As long time painter, I've kept my share of one landers but had to drop that habit with this deck as an example

Thread Information