Page 195 of 197 FirstFirst ... 95145185191192193194195196197 LastLast
Results 3,881 to 3,900 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

List looks interesting, and fun. The move away from Magus feels right given powerful new cards and the banning of DRS.

I played 8 rds yesterday at a local legacy event. I faced:

Miracles
    Mono R Goblins
    RW Painter
    BR Goblins
    4C Aggro Loam
    Mono R Moons
    UR Delver x2

Blood Moon came out every round except Loam. Anecdotal evidence, but I suspect Moon isn't great in the meta currently.
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."
    Drunken Master strategy. If I don't know what I'm doing, how would you?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Robert Beatty took down the 121-player SCG Classic in Pittsburgh yesterday. Beat Miracles, Bomberman, and U/R Delver in the top 8 to win it.

// Creatures (5)
    1 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

// Planeswalkers (8)
    4 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    4 Karn, the Great Creator

// Lands (19)
    11 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors

// Artifacts (17)
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    4 Trinisphere

// Enchantments (4)
    4 Blood Moon

// Instants (4)
    4 Abrade

// Sorceries (3)
    3 Fiery Confluence

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 Ensnaring Bridge
    SB: 1 Liquimetal Coating
    SB: 1 Mycosynth Lattice
    SB: 1 Ratchet Bomb
    SB: 1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    SB: 4 Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 1 Walking Ballista
    SB: 3 Scab-Clan Berserker
    SB: 2 Boil

Not to take from his victory, but the T8 lists don't look optimal. Dovin's Veto in Miracles. Swiftspear in UR Delver. The lists from 6th place UR Delver and maybe Bomberman look good (though idk much about Bomberman, just guessing). I question how close we should trust this result.
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by frogger42 View Post
    Not to take from his victory, but the T8 lists don't look optimal. Dovin's Veto in Miracles. Swiftspear in UR Delver. The lists from 6th place UR Delver and maybe Bomberman look good (though idk much about Bomberman, just guessing). I question how close we should trust this result.
    Shouldn't optimal be defined based on the results and quantity of players competing in the tournament? I doubt 121 people were playing rogue decks.

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Shouldn't optimal be defined based on the results and quantity of players competing in the tournament? I doubt 121 people were playing rogue decks.
    You’re definitely right about that, that we consider 121 people is a really good pool of players. But, ignoring the DS list, I think 5/7 of the T8 have sub-par builds. Just looking at the maindeck, I didn’t check the SBs. It’s kind of shocking. I’m not sure why that is, but I do know a lot of my legacy buddies skip the SCG classics because of the horrible EV. It’s the worst EV a magic tournament has. Even the side events make more sense to play in.

I played 8 rds yesterday at a local legacy event. I faced:

Miracles
    Mono R Goblins
    RW Painter
    BR Goblins
    4C Aggro Loam
    Mono R Moons
    UR Delver x2

Blood Moon came out every round except Loam. Anecdotal evidence, but I suspect Moon isn't great in the meta currently.
    I think I'm going to take that back. That tournament didn't see much Wrenn and Six, and Moon is a total blowout vs those greedy 3-4C decks. I faced W6 last night, and I think as we go on, there'll be more appearances by W6. The fact that Magus survives W6's minus one, and nullifies the +1, AND also attacks into W6 is absolutely devastating. I think jamming 4x Magus is the way to go.

Magus also survives Force of Negation (insert shrug emoji here). I smashed 4C Delver with a Blood Moon G2, then Magus G3 (though it's probably the only MU where Moon is an auto-win). I disagree with going down on Magus, as I generally find it stronger than Moon - I run equip - so I'll put that opinion out there. I side out Blood Moon before I hit Magus. Still, 8x Moon is the point we run accel, right?

Surprised this wasn't posted yet. Last weekend's MTGO Legacy Challenge saw this list take 2nd place.
    I think 6 moon effects is the minimum in the current 4c meta. I'm worried about losing Ensnaring Bridge from the main. I know Karn gets it, but then it isn't in play until turn 5 at the earliest, which can mean a lot of Delver damage.

// Planeswalkers (8)

//Creatures (14)
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Legion Warboss
    2 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

// Sorceries (3)
    3 Fiery Confluence

//Artifacts (12)
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Trinisphere

//Enchantments (4)
    4 Blood Moon

//Lands (19)
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    11 Mountain

//Sideboard
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Helm of Obedience
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Liquimetal Coating
    1 Mycosynth Lattice
    3 Scab-Clan Berserker
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Winter Orb

Quote Originally Posted by guslandt View Post
    Surprised this wasn't posted yet. Last weekend's MTGO Legacy Challenge saw this list take 2nd place.
    I think 6 moon effects is the minimum in the current 4c meta. I'm worried about losing Ensnaring Bridge from the main. I know Karn gets it, but then it isn't in play until turn 5 at the earliest, which can mean a lot of Delver damage.

// Planeswalkers (8)

//Creatures (14)
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Legion Warboss
    2 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

// Sorceries (3)
    3 Fiery Confluence

//Artifacts (12)
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Trinisphere

//Enchantments (4)
    4 Blood Moon

//Lands (19)
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    11 Mountain

//Sideboard
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Helm of Obedience
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Liquimetal Coating
    1 Mycosynth Lattice
    3 Scab-Clan Berserker
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Winter Orb
    That identical list took BOTH FIRST AND SECOND PLACE. It's the best deck in the current Wrenn&Six meta.

Yeah, it would be great if there was room to squeeze Bridges into the maindeck but Fiery Confluence can buy time against aggro decks and it's never a dead card unlike Bridge.

The full 4 Trini and 4 Chalice should give Delver nightmares :)

For anyone looking to pick up the deck again, I made a video primer about deck selection choices, matchup approaches, and sideboarding. Here's the link!

bruizar

Fantastic video

My current build:

4x Magus of the Moon
    4x Goblin Rabblemaster
    4x Simian Spirit Guide
    4x Thunderbreak Regent
    1x Hazoret, the Fervent
    3x Glorybringer

4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Chrome Mox
    3x Trinisphere

3x Blood Moon
    4x Fiery Confluence

2x Chandra, Torch of Defiance

4x Ancient Tomb
    4x City of Traitors
    11x Mountain

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Saboo View Post
    My current build:

4x Magus of the Moon
    4x Goblin Rabblemaster
    4x Simian Spirit Guide
    4x Thunderbreak Regent
    1x Hazoret, the Fervent
    3x Glorybringer

4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Chrome Mox
    3x Trinisphere

3x Blood Moon
    4x Fiery Confluence

4x Ancient Tomb
    4x City of Traitors
    11x Mountain

Do you have any results to share? I'm curious about the Glorybringers.

Quote Originally Posted by Saboo View Post
    My current build:

4x Magus of the Moon
    4x Goblin Rabblemaster
    4x Simian Spirit Guide
    4x Thunderbreak Regent
    1x Hazoret, the Fervent
    3x Glorybringer

4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Chrome Mox
    3x Trinisphere

3x Blood Moon
    4x Fiery Confluence

4x Ancient Tomb
    4x City of Traitors
    11x Mountain
    Sarkhan the Masterless?

Astrolabe makes Moons so so so bad. Which Chalice of the Void shuts off. Which Oko shuts off, and then smashes you even worse.

I'm moving over to Blood Sun, which I'm not super fond of, but it's usually a double Stone Rain on my opponent. (More like Stifle but that's not red.) Any thoughts on how to move forward in the Astrolabe/Oko meta?

bruizar

Astrolabe makes Moons so so so bad. Which Chalice of the Void shuts off. Which Oko shuts off, and then smashes you even worse.

I'm moving over to Blood Sun, which I'm not super fond of, but it's usually a double Stone Rain on my opponent. (More like Stifle but that's not red.) Any thoughts on how to move forward in the Astrolabe/Oko meta?
    I'm currently playing a RB painter list with REBs, Astrolabe, Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast and Angrath's Rampage. It's a different deck but you can learn from it. Rampage is especially effective as it hoses opposing Karn, Oko, Teferi, Jace, True Name Nemesis and the occasional Batterskull / Sword of Fire and Ice. I also suggest 4x Sorcerous Spyglass since you can often wasteland someone on the play with a proactive Spyglass on a fetchland. Spyglass is the cleanest answer because Brazen Borrower needs to target it to get 1 activation out of Oko. The Astrolabe decklists rely very heavily on fetchlands as they require both snow basics and duals.

I'm currently playing a RB painter list with REBs, Astrolabe, Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast and Angrath's Rampage. It's a different deck but you can learn from it. Rampage is especially effective as it hoses opposing Karn, Oko, Teferi, Jace, True Name Nemesis and the occasional Batterskull / Sword of Fire and Ice. I also suggest 4x Sorcerous Spyglass since you can often wasteland someone on the play with a proactive Spyglass on a fetchland. Spyglass is the cleanest answer because Brazen Borrower needs to target it to get 1 activation out of Oko. The Astrolabe decklists rely very heavily on fetchlands as they require both snow basics and duals.
    I think you're in the right plan with REBs and Angrath's rampage. I'm not positive about Spyglass, though I totally forgot it, and it definitely merits a consideration. I run 8 spirit guides, so hitting 3 mana T1 for Blood Sun is super viable. And I think vs Oko, the only thing you should name with Spyglass is Oko. That makes things awkward - I hate duress effects because you always tempo yourself. Spyglass would effectively be worse tempo than that. But I'll give it a mull.

I have a RG moons deck I semi-like (I played it at this past Eternal Weekend on camera, wooo!) and I think Sun + Choke is a great way to attack them. But prolly not good enough to really beat Astrolabe + Oko. Mono R has always been a meta deck, and I think the meta zipped us by this year, really really quickly.

bruizar

I think you're in the right plan with REBs and Angrath's rampage. I'm not positive about Spyglass, though I totally forgot it, and it definitely merits a consideration. I run 8 spirit guides, so hitting 3 mana T1 for Blood Sun is super viable. And I think vs Oko, the only thing you should name with Spyglass is Oko. That makes things awkward - I hate duress effects because you always tempo yourself. Spyglass would effectively be worse tempo than that. But I'll give it a mull.

I have a RG moons deck I semi-like (I played it at this past Eternal Weekend on camera, wooo!) and I think Sun + Choke is a great way to attack them. But prolly not good enough to really beat Astrolabe + Oko. Mono R has always been a meta deck, and I think the meta zipped us by this year, really really quickly.
    Although my painter list suffered a terrible combo match up, I beat all my Oko matches and 3 out of 4 delver matches (should have won all 4, grixis, ur, and a pteramander build, lost against UR once because arcanist took over which I cannot REB). I would consider moving Chalice to the sideboard for a bunch of REBs in Oko match ups. Sometimes you just got to kill your darlings. I also had a singleton chains of mephistopheles in the side for all those cantripping strixes, astrolabes and brainstorms.

Although my painter list suffered a terrible combo match up, I beat all my Oko matches and 3 out of 4 delver matches (should have won all 4, grixis, ur, and a pteramander build, lost against UR once because arcanist took over which I cannot REB). I would consider moving Chalice to the sideboard for a bunch of REBs in Oko match ups. Sometimes you just got to kill your darlings. I also had a singleton chains of mephistopheles in the side for all those cantripping strixes, astrolabes and brainstorms.
    I'm not a huge fan of REB'ing Oko in a Moons/Chalice deck. It feels really narrow. But I do like Spyglass a lot more. I'm trying to come up with ways to deal with Oko, since it's such a huge part of my LGS meta (about 1/3) and it's the main card I can't compete with. I feel the deck can deal with everything else I care for it to deal with (burn, Goblins, eh!)

Again, I'm RG, and these are the best cards I can think of to deal with Broko:

- Sorcerous Spyglass
    - Reb/Pyroblast
    - Choke/Boil + Blood Sun (restrict mana)
    - Hibernation
    - Cataclysm

The last two seem solid as they deal with a board state with a ton of Elk on field, too. I feel like R/G should have more ways to deal with nasty Blue cards, but I'm totally coming up short. Other thoughts for SB cards?

bruizar

I'm not a huge fan of REB'ing Oko in a Moons/Chalice deck. It feels really narrow. But I do like Spyglass a lot more. I'm trying to come up with ways to deal with Oko, since it's such a huge part of my LGS meta (about 1/3) and it's the main card I can't compete with. I feel the deck can deal with everything else I care for it to deal with (burn, Goblins, eh!)

Again, I'm RG, and these are the best cards I can think of to deal with Broko:

- Sorcerous Spyglass
    - Reb/Pyroblast
    - Choke/Boil + Blood Sun (restrict mana)
    - Hibernation
    - Cataclysm

The last two seem solid as they deal with a board state with a ton of Elk on field, too. I feel like R/G should have more ways to deal with nasty Blue cards, but I'm totally coming up short. Other thoughts for SB cards?
    Decks that run Oko are immune to mana hate. They play Arcum's Astrolabe, they will just dodge Choke by fetching for a snow-covered forest and casting an Astrolabe. I went through everything there is. Your options are Angrath's Rampage in Rakdos, Spyglass or REB. The only card you could consider if you're playing welder which you are not if you're running dragonstompy, is the immortal sun, and that sucks too because you're better off welding Sphinx of the Steel Wind. Hibernation doesn't actually do much at all plus it's off color (and so is cataclysm).

Even a card like Magmatic Sinkhole doesn't kill Oko.

Decks that run Oko are immune to mana hate. They play Arcum's Astrolabe, they will just dodge Choke by fetching for a snow-covered forest and casting an Astrolabe. I went through everything there is. Your options are Angrath's Rampage in Rakdos, Spyglass or REB. The only card you could consider if you're playing welder which you are not if you're running dragonstompy, is the immortal sun, and that sucks too because you're better off welding Sphinx of the Steel Wind. Hibernation doesn't actually do much at all plus it's off color (and so is cataclysm).

Even a card like Magmatic Sinkhole doesn't kill Oko.
    I included Cataclysm and Hibernation as examples of cards to use outside the box. Neither of them are in my colors. I found a green card I def want to try against Oko, and I suspect if I get it down early enough, it'll be a brick house. Thanks!

Thread Information