Page 126 of 197 FirstFirst ... 2676116122123124125126127128129130136176 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,520 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

With the printing of Smuggler's Copter, I really want to get back into this deck. I'd like to start here:

8 Mountains
    3 Cavern of Souls
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Chrome Mox

4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Hanweir Garrison
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    3 Pia Nalaar
    3 Scab-Clan Berserker

3 Smuggler's Copter

4 Magma Jet

4 Blood Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void

I haven't started testing yet but does anyone have any opinions or advice that would help direct me?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I too played at Eternal Weekend's Legacy main event, using this list:

11 Mountain
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb

3 Chrome Mox
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere

4 Gobblin Rabblemaster
    3 Hanweir Garrison
    4 Thunderbreak Regent

2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    2 Koth of the Hammer
    4 Magma Jet

SB:
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Fiery Confluence
    1 Anarchy
    2 Sulfur Elemental
    2 Pyrokinesis
    1 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Phyrexian Revoker

I went 3-2, then dropped since I did not care about non-T8.

Round 1 - Elves (2-1)
    Round 2 - D&T splashing Blue (0-2)
    Round 3 - Infect (2-1)
    Round 4 - D&T (2-1)
    Round 5 - D&T (1-2)

Stoneforge Mystic continues to be a huge thorn on my side. I can deal with all other creatures they have, but Jitte/Batterskull/Sword of Pro:Red are just tough as nails to beat. I should have played a 2nd Fiery Confluence in the sideboard. I don't know what else I can cut.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Stoneforge Mystic continues to be a huge thorn on my side. I can deal with all other creatures they have, but Jitte/Batterskull/Sword of Pro:Red are just tough as nails to beat. I should have played a 2nd Fiery Confluence in the sideboard. I don't know what else I can cut.
    The only logical cut is a Crypt or a Bridge. I'm guessing Crypt is worse than Bridge however.

You could also try [card]Unforge[/card] as well. It's very narrow and only makes sense in a metagame with tons of DnT/Stoneblade.

I'd consider upping Fiery Confluence to three copies. It's a blowout vs. DnT. I'd cut an Anarchy for sure, because FC usually kills all creatures (minus mom protection, Serra Avenger, Brimaz) and one/two artifacts along the way, and has the same CMC. I'd also probably cut Sulfur Elemental or Pyrokinesis for the third copy.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

jancz, what did you think of Pia Nalaar? Do you have any anecdotes from the tournament involving her?

koby, how do you sideboard against D&T with that list?
    You have 12 cards in your sideboard that *could* come in... (everything but the Crypts)

I think your best option against D&T is to hide behind a bridge and ultimate your walkers.
    I cut Rabblemasters against D&T because swinging into a Batterskull every turn sucks.

What did you think of Hanweir Garrison? and why did you opt for a playset of Regents, but only 3 Garrison?

I'm having a hard time vs. BR Reanimator. Best I've found so far is Faerie Macabre x 2 in the board but it's still weak. Chancellor of Annex shuts off other grave hate.

Ace - I noticed 2 Settlers... Can you talk about that a little bit why it got bumped up and how it's been working? I've been toying with the idea of going back to Stone Rain.
    Did you stop testing Cruiser? Seems good on paper but you mentioned that you thought it was underwhelming.
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Quote Originally Posted by Octopusman View Post
    I'm having a hard time vs. BR Reanimator. Best I've found so far is Faerie Macabre x 2 in the board but it's still weak. Chancellor of Annex shuts off other grave hate.

Ace - I noticed 2 Settlers... Can you talk about that a little bit why it got bumped up and how it's been working? I've been toying with the idea of going back to Stone Rain.
    Did you stop testing Cruiser? Seems good on paper but you mentioned that you thought it was underwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    I went 7-2-0 today at EE5 in Baltimore, MD!
    That was good enough to place 14th out of the 277 in attendance.

I wanted to give Pia and the Copter a try. But mostly I wanted to play Goblin Settler.
    My biggest concern with traditional Moggcatcher lists is how high the curve is. Kiki-Jiki is great when you find him with Moggcatcher, but otherwise he is pretty awful... The SGC in the board was a last second audible and replaced the 3rd Faerie Macabre. Neither card really ended up mattering this tournament.

Pia Nalaar is the real deal! Smuggler's Copter is good, but I boarded it out almost every game... More testing required, I'm not sure my build is one where it can truly shine.
    I'm looking to pick up a second settler right now myself.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

I'm on a casual kick and haven't played Legacy in a few weeks. I've been waiting on my pre-ordered C16 stuff.

I ordered play sets of Ash Barrens and Frenzied Fugue. I am probably deluded but I have high hopes that 4x Ash Barrens 1x Wastes will open up cards like Thought-Knot Seer to us. Again, I am probably deluded.

I was happy with my Moggcatcher package. It was a small enough package with high CMC cards that it was easy to cut them for anti-combo matches that might be decided in a turn or two. Otherwise back-to-back Settlers or SGC => Rabble did what was needed. Against Stoneforge/Batterskull decks I cut 3 Rabbles and hide behind Bridge, throwing goblins at my opponent.

I chose two Settlers because one might get exiled to Mox, but mostly because I want to be able to nuke both Plains against Miracles without having to rely on Kiki-Jiki (who is both difficult to cast and terrible on his own).

Cruiser and Copter are still being tested... I think the ideal number of Cruisers will be 1, but I'm still looking for the optimal list for it.

Don't forget that Simian Spirit Guide negates Chancellor. That isn't very helpful... But it's all I got for now. I haven't run into B/R Reanimator since it picked up in popularity and the lists have been optimized.

Quote Originally Posted by Octopusman View Post

B/R Reanimator is entirely about the dice roll, or who can break serve when the other one fails to do something on turn 1. I know after board I almost never keep a hand that can't turn 1 a Trinisphere, Blood Moon, Magus of the Moon, Chalice, Ensnaring Bridge, Moggcatcher or has one of my Faerie Macabres. If you can do those and still drop a chalice on 0, do that as well. Bring in null rods if you have them.

You can't afford to lose the games when you are on the play and any time you see a chance to steal a draw game with a high risk play, take it. Keeping that one lander with Faerie Macabre or Leyline of the Void is fine. They need unmask to stop that. If they are thoughseizing you intstead of themselves on turn 1, then you have a shot of grabbing that land and slamming the hate and maybe escaping.

Additionally Chalice 1&2 end the game so even if you have two cities or something completely non-optimal, getting a chalice on 1 and 2 more or less ends the game (some have sideboard sneak attacks).

Quote Originally Posted by ZTurgeon View Post
    B/R Reanimator is entirely about the dice roll, or who can break serve when the other one fails to do something on turn 1. I know after board I almost never keep a hand that can't turn 1 a Trinisphere, Blood Moon, Magus of the Moon, Chalice, Ensnaring Bridge, Moggcatcher or has one of my Faerie Macabres. If you can do those and still drop a chalice on 0, do that as well. Bring in null rods if you have them.

You can't afford to lose the games when you are on the play and any time you see a chance to steal a draw game with a high risk play, take it. Keeping that one lander with Faerie Macabre or Leyline of the Void is fine. They need unmask to stop that. If they are thoughseizing you intstead of themselves on turn 1, then you have a shot of grabbing that land and slamming the hate and maybe escaping.

Additionally Chalice 1&2 end the game so even if you have two cities or something completely non-optimal, getting a chalice on 1 and 2 more or less ends the game (some have sideboard sneak attacks).
    And exactly how many sb slots are you packing for reanimator? Sounds like something close to 15 ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by zangoasyl View Post
    And exactly how many sb slots are you packing for reanimator? Sounds like something close to 15 ;-)
    My current Sideboard is

4 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Faerie Macabre
    1 Tuk Tuk Scrapper
    2 Null Rod
    3 Sulfur Elemental
    2 Pyrokenesis

So I bring in 9 cards, but it doesnt matter much because you can straight up cut cards that interact poorly with them because both decks are so linear. So I really only have 3 card FOR them, but they also get hit with my more generic splash hate.

Played at my local FNM Legacy with Dragon Stompy. 3-1.

4 blood moon
    1 Magus of the Moon
    4 Imperial Recruiter
    1 Goblin Settler
    1 Kiki-Jiki Mirror Breaker
    1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    1 Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
    2 Vexing Shusher
    1 Phyrexian Revoker

3 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    1 Koth of the Hammer
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Trinisphere
    3 Chrome Mox
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Fiery Confluence

4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    14 Mountains

Board.
    1 Scab-Clan Berserker
    1 Fiery Confluence
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    3 Sudden Shock
    2 Kozilek's Return
    1 Vexing Shusher
    1 Sulfur Elemental
    2 Faerie Macabre
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper

Round 1. Burn. win 2-1
    He wins game 1 rather easily. I've played him before but forgot he was burn. So I didn't have Chalice, so it gave the appearance that my deck could have been painter. Game 2 and 3 Chalice shows up. I barely win game 3....I have Chalice at 1 and 2 and I'm at 5 life. Luckily I didn't go any lower since he shows me a Fireblast.
    Game 3 was memorable for me. I have a Koth in play with 3 mountains and an Ancient Tomb. I didn't want to use Tomb anymore so I tapped the 3 mountains for mana. I then untapped a mountain so I had 4 to cast Chandra. And with Chandra's +1 RR ability I cast a Chalice of the Void for 1 (which I drew that turn). I eventually Koth Ulitmate to ping my opponent to death.

Round 2. Eldrazi Win. 2-0
    I scouted so I knew what he was on. My starting 7 had a Chalice on turn 1 opener but luckily I knew that was not gonna do anything. My 6 had a Turn 1 Blood moon via Chrome Mox, Mountain and a Spirit Guide. KEEP. I draw a bunch of non-mana sources so I got knocked down to as low as 2 from Eldrazi Mimics and his Simian Spirit Guide. I eventually establish 3 ensnaring Bridges with Koth and Chandra. Koth and Chandra, again allowed me to empty my hand and cast the other 2 bridges in the same turn.
    Game 2. I think I established Kiki-jiki plus Goblin Settler lock.

Round 3. Miracles lose. 2-0
    Blood moon doesn't do as much when he has double Island. Boo. PLus I'm an idiot and attack with Shusher into blue Amush Viper (aka Snapcaster).
    Game 2, I knock him down to 3 with the help of Scab-Clan Berserker but he topdecks Terminus to get rid of the creature, otherwise he would have been dead the next turn.

Round 4. Elves. win 2-1
    Game 1. He's on the play and I get Hoofed.
    Game 2. Fiery Confluence and Kozilek's return later on sealed the deal
    Game 3. More mass removal. I ulitmate Chandra and then killed him with a Fiery Confluence.

Notes:
    -I really like the Berserker, I may try and fit it in main.
    -Eldrazi was an easy matchup with 4 Moon and 4 Bridges
    -Miracles matchup still seems a bit rough. Maybe I need Boil in there somewhere.
    -Fiery Confluence is awesome. It can be a mini board wipe, direct damage and artifact removal all in one. Was great vs Elves and even ok vs Eldrazi (I killed a Jitte and dealt 4 damage to opponent).
    -Mana Curve may be a bit high. A few games I was stuck, not being able to cast anything.
    -Being able to ulitmate with both Walkers felt great. And the mana ramping was very relevant, allowing me to empty my hand so Bridge could work.
    -Tuktuk Scrapper may be a bit redundant with 2 Fiery Confluence. Although being able to tutor for it is nice.

Just curious if anyone has tried Vaultbreaker? It's sort of janky, but I've been testing it as an alternative to Smuggler's Copter.
    Dash makes Vaultbreaker come down with haste and can surprise people taking out Planeswalkers.

Pros:
    Red spell, can pitch to Chrome Mox
    Can be a threat on it's own (vs equipment/vehicles)
    Can be played for 2R mana via Dash and no double-red and has haste
    Cycles cards in hand when attacking

Cons:
    No Flying
    Without Dashing, it's a 4 mana spell that is not really a big body with only 2 toughness.
    Doesn't cycle if you're blocking
    Dash can be mana intensive

Quote Originally Posted by tron View Post
    Just curious if anyone has tried Vaultbreaker? It's sort of janky, but I've been testing it as an alternative to Smuggler's Copter.
    Dash makes Vaultbreaker come down with haste and can surprise people taking out Planeswalkers.

Pros:
    Red spell, can pitch to Chrome Mox
    Can be a threat on it's own (vs equipment/vehicles)
    Can be played for 2R mana via Dash and no double-red and has haste
    Cycles cards in hand when attacking

Cons:
    No Flying
    Without Dashing, it's a 4 mana spell that is not really a big body with only 2 toughness.
    Doesn't cycle if you're blocking
    Dash can be mana intensive

For me no. My version runs 4 bridges main so if I'm attacking, it's with smaller dudes. I'm not saying the card is bad at all. It just doesn't fit in my deck because of the build.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Interesting list got posted to TC Decks. It got 9th of 169. It's the first time I've seen hellbent creatures in a while...

Creatures [21]
    2 Rakdos Pit Dragon
    3 Hanweir Garrison
    4 Gathan Raiders
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

Enchantments [4]
    4 Blood Moon

Planeswalkers [3]

Artifacts [14]
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Trinisphere

Lands [18]
    1 Hanweir Battlements
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    9 Mountain

Sideboard [15]
    1 Wild Ricochet
    2 Sudden Shock
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Boil
    2 Sulfur Elemental
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Shattering Spree

Source
    Based on the player names, I'm assuming the tournament occurred in Europe (probably Spain or Italy).

First impressions are that it is short on red non-artifacts (I count 24) and the curve is high considering only 26 mana sources. Still, results are results and the top 16 is full of competitive decks. I'm just happy to see Gathan Raiders.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Testing this list and liking it a lot right now:

4 Smuggler's Copter
    4 Magus of the Moon
    3 Pia Nalaar
    4 Thopter Engineer
    4 Hangarback Walker
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Arcbound Ravager

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Blood Moon

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    8 Mountain
    4 Cavern of Souls
    3 Chrome Mox
    3 Simian Spirit Guide

SB: 4 Leyline of the Void
    SB: 1 Boil
    SB: 2 Pyrokinesis
    SB: 4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    SB: 4 Sulfur Elemental

Lots of little nice interactions with Pia, Thopter engineer and Hangarback+Ravager, cavern to push most humans out vs cb, lower mana count due to nothing costing more than 3 and smuggler copter smoothing draws and giving pseudo-haste to all our tokens generator, multiple way to cycle multiple moxens with pia/ravager/copter etc... A couple of great furnaces over 2 mountains could be worth it for extra damage and shit since they still are artifacts under blood moon.

Revoker is also pretty good right now. Name Top vs miracles, vial vs D&T, LED/Petal vs storm, Grizzly vs reanimator, DRS vs all the BG based decks etc... and with almost everything in your deck demanding removal on it (almost everything has a side effect/mana sink ability to let them grow over time), it's sometimes a bit hard for your opponent to answer everything, especially vs 8 moons and 4 cotv.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Interesting list got posted to TC Decks. It got 9th of 169. It's the first time I've seen hellbent creatures in a while...

Creatures [21]
    2 Rakdos Pit Dragon
    3 Hanweir Garrison
    4 Gathan Raiders
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

Enchantments [4]
    4 Blood Moon

Planeswalkers [3]

Artifacts [14]
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Trinisphere

Lands [18]
    1 Hanweir Battlements
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    9 Mountain

Sideboard [15]
    1 Wild Ricochet
    2 Sudden Shock
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Boil
    2 Sulfur Elemental
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Shattering Spree

Source
    Based on the player names, I'm assuming the tournament occurred in Europe (probably Spain or Italy).

First impressions are that it is short on red non-artifacts (I count 24) and the curve is high considering only 26 mana sources. Still, results are results and the top 16 is full of competitive decks. I'm just happy to see Gathan Raiders.
    You can win with grey ogre if you lock your opponent :P
    I think the point of moving away from these creatures is that they are bad if your lock pieces don't work or are removed. I do find it funny though that he can meld battlements!

It seems we have a player who finished 9-0 day 1 in GP Chiba

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/c...ers-2016-11-26

But still needs to wait until round 15 to see the decklist

Quote Originally Posted by entreri_fans View Post
    It seems we have a player who finished 9-0 day 1 in GP Chiba

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/c...ers-2016-11-26

But still needs to wait until round 15 to see the decklist
    First deck listed in this link: http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/c...sts-2016-11-27

Thunderbreaks, 4x MD Fiery Confluence, 4x MD Sin Prodder, 3x Chandra, Torch, 4x Magus of the Moon.

Also, no Ensnaring Bridge. Though 1 Frenzied Fugue SB.

Cool list! I'm going to build this exact one and see what's up. I like the idea of MD Fiery.

Your guys' thoughts? I haven't been involved in this conversation. Was Sin Prodder tested already? What were the conclusions? Looks like this guy agrees with Koby on Thunderbreaks, at least.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Out of 2503 decks, two Dragon Stompy decks placed high enough for us to see their decklists!
    Looks like a total of 5 players using Dragon Stompy made day 2.

TAKAHIRO IKEDA'S DRAGON STOMPY - 37TH

Planeswalker (3)

Creature (20)
    3 Thunderbreak Regent
    2 Shaman of the Great Hunt
    3 Sin Prodder
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

Sorcery (4)
    4 Fiery Confluence

Instant (1)
    1 Magma Jet

Artifact (10)
    2 Trinisphere
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox

Enchantment (4)
    4 Blood Moon

Land (18)
    10 Mountain
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    60 Cards

Sideboard (15)
    1 Frenzied Fugue
    1 Scab-Clan Berserker
    1 Shattering Pulse
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Thorn of Amethyst
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Sudden Demise
    2 Pyrokinesis
    1 Chandra, Pyromaster

TAISHI AOKI'S DRAGON STOMPY - 39TH

Planeswalker (3)

Creature (20)
    3 Thunderbreak Regent
    1 Thundermaw Hellkite
    4 Sin Prodder
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

Sorcery (4)
    4 Fiery Confluence

Instant (1)
    1 Sudden Shock

Artifact (11)
    3 Trinisphere
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox

Enchantment (3)
    3 Blood Moon

Land (18)
    10 Mountain
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    60 Cards

Sideboard (15)
    1 Frenzied Fugue
    1 Sudden Shock
    1 Shattering Pulse
    2 Koth of the Hammer
    2 Thorn of Amethyst
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Sudden Demise
    2 Pyrokinesis
    1 Chandra, Pyromaster

The lists are very similar...
    Takahiro opted for 2 Shaman of the Great Hunt (over a Sin Prodder and Thundermaw Hellkite).
    He also chose Magma Jet over Sudden Shock and a 3rd Trinisphere over a 4th Blood Moon.

Sideboard differences are minor as well.

1 Scab-Clan Berserker
    2 Pyroblast

*versus*

1 Sudden Shock
    2 Koth of the Hammer
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 11-28-2016 at 08:26 AM.

Thread Information