Page 124 of 197 FirstFirst ... 2474114120121122123124125126127128134174 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,480 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by square_two View Post
    Smuggler's Copter is looking to be played in a majority of standard decks for the season. The looting ability is just insane and could be a very real way of filtering for this deck. Makes any goblin token or other creature you have currently stonewalled into 3 damage + filter, I can't imagine that being bad at all.
    There are a few issues with it. What makes it better than just playing a Jitte and running in the guy for counters? Equipment in this deck is powerful, but already a little dubious as you spend so much of your resources putting out fast lock pieces. With the copter specifically, discarding lands isn't always an option due to enemy deathrite shamans that have been stranded.

My guess is that the Vehicles end up just being worse than a compact growing threat like rabblemaster or garrison.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by ZTurgeon View Post
    My guess is that the Vehicles end up just being worse than a compact growing threat like rabblemaster or garrison.
    No argument there, but they wouldn't be fighting for the same spot as a Rabblemaster or Garrison. They would most likely compete with equipment for space.

Which brings us to...
    Quote Originally Posted by ZTurgeon View Post
    What makes it better than just playing a Jitte and running in the guy for counters?
    Unless you win the game with the first creature you equip the Jitte too, the vehicles are going to be more mana efficient.
    Fleetwheel Cruiser swings for 5 the turn it comes down, so a pretty good argument can be made that it is better than Jitte on an empty board.
    There are also several scenarios where the creature you would equip with Jitte cannot be risked because it is all that is keeping the opponent locked (Revoker or Magus) and the opponent has a 2-power creature on their side.
    Vehicles are also better than equipment the turn you play your creature.

I'll be actively testing (at least) Fleetwheel Cruiser, so I'll try to keep the thread updated with anecdotal evidence as I acquire it.

Edit - It is worth noting that I believe the 'flavor' of Stompy being used will greatly influence whether vehicles or equipment are superior. I expect Goblin Stompy to only ever want equipment, but most of the other flavors might prefer vehicles...

especially with the token producers. say you are about to be forced into attacking into an unfavorable board state with 2 rabblemaster, you can tap them both to crew your ship/car/train/space boat etc. and still attack with the swarm. no losing your valuable token generator.

I plan on testing some of these out after I get a few copies. Definitely interested in smugglers copter and the flagship as well. the deck has pretty little it can do about fliers

Quote Originally Posted by ZEROorDIE View Post
    especially with the token producers. say you are about to be forced into attacking into an unfavorable board state with 2 rabblemaster, you can tap them both to crew your ship/car/train/space boat etc. and still attack with the swarm. no losing your valuable token generator.

I plan on testing some of these out after I get a few copies. Definitely interested in smugglers copter and the flagship as well. the deck has pretty little it can do about fliers
    How has your testing been going with the deck?

I was considering playing one Cathartic Reunion in the main for some late game card draw. I find the deck runs out of steam a lot and top decking Chrome Mox late in the game is miserable.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Anybody been testing with the vehicles have any results? Are they worth it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Anybody been testing with the vehicles have any results? Are they worth it?
    I should have some information after Sunday! I just picked up 2 copters I intend to use at EE5 instead of equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    I should have some information after Sunday! I just picked up 2 copters I intend to use at EE5 instead of equipment.
    Any way you can post your list?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by CovenantElite30 View Post
    Any way you can post your list?
    I will, but I'm still deciding how I want to attack the format.

Hey guys, this may sound like a stupid question, but what match-up do you side out Magus of the Moon and/or Blood Moon? Burn, other red Stompy decks, Goblins, Sneak and Show, and OmniTell are obvious. But what about UR Delver, Death and Taxes, and Miracles?

Against UR Delver, the potential to cut then off blue mana is big, but is completely nullified if they can get one Island, so I do not think it is worth it.

Against Miracles, I think playing both are worth it despite them playing a lot of basics is that it prevents them from shuffling, getting more looks from Top and cantrips.

DnT is what I am torn against. The deck is super mana hungry, and stopping their mana denial strategy can give us breathing room. On the other hand, they can also just draw a lot of plains.

What about Nic Fit? Anyways, I just want you guys opinions on what decks the Moon prison strategy is poor. If there are decks you rather keep in Magus but side out Blood Moon, I am interested in that as well.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by L10 View Post
    Hey guys, this may sound like a stupid question, but what match-up do you side out Magus of the Moon and/or Blood Moon? Burn, other red Stompy decks, Goblins, Sneak and Show, and OmniTell are obvious. But what about UR Delver, Death and Taxes, and Miracles?

Against UR Delver, the potential to cut then off blue mana is big, but is completely nullified if they can get one Island, so I do not think it is worth it.

Against Miracles, I think playing both are worth it despite them playing a lot of basics is that it prevents them from shuffling, getting more looks from Top and cantrips.

DnT is what I am torn against. The deck is super mana hungry, and stopping their mana denial strategy can give us breathing room. On the other hand, they can also just draw a lot of plains.

What about Nic Fit? Anyways, I just want you guys opinions on what decks the Moon prison strategy is poor. If there are decks you rather keep in Magus but side out Blood Moon, I am interested in that as well.

Thanks.
    doesn't do much against U/R delver because price still counts all of your "non-basic mountains"

great against miracles, shuts off all of their fetch lands making their mana choices much more difficult. also, shuts down the shuffling

against d&t, I would happily shut off their wasteland/port/Karakas and force them into playing Plains or "mountains". keeps them off from bounce shenanigans with Karakas in addition to shutting off their mana denial plan.

haven't played against nic-fit in a while so maybe someone else can chime in here, but it is a mana hungry deck with 3 colors, so I can still see it being good despite the large amount of basics. they also have plenty of answers to blood moon so idk.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Hey guys, this may sound like a stupid question, but what match-up do you side out Magus of the Moon and/or Blood Moon?
    Not stupid, just complicated...
    You're talking about swapping up to 8 cards. Whenever you are moving around that many cards you have to consider what your sideboard consists of.

Even the burn match-up isn't necessarily -8 Moons... Ancient Tomb can really help their gameplan and an early Blood Moon might save you crucial life points.
    Can you post the list and sideboard you're using? It makes answering your question easier.

Thanks for the response guys. I have been jamming with this list that I found online.
    http://www.hareruyamtg.com/jp/k/kD04238W/
    The deck is pretty brutal. I really like Shaman of the Great Hunt in particular. He is savage with Goblin Rabblemaster and Hanweir Garrison.

But to answer your question Ace, this is how I have been sideboarding against Burn, Death and Taxes, and Miracles in particular with the list above.

Burn:
    -4 Magus of the Moon
    -3 Blood Moon
    -1 Instigator Gang
    +3 Phyrexian Revoker (cheap blocker, name on Grim Lavamancer)
    +4 Fiery Confluence
    +1 Trinisphere
    Though, I think you may have a point, Ace. When I SB all the Moons, I do feel Ancient Tomb does a lot of work against me. Maybe I should keep in some number of Magus of the Moon.

Death and Taxes:
    -4 Magus of the Moon
    -3 Trinisphere
    -1 Hero of Oxid Ridge
    +3 Phyrexian Revoker
    +4 Fiery Confluence
    +1 Blood Moon
    I feel Blood Moon is stronger in this MU because StP doesn't interact with it. Magus of the Moon is also weaker when I go for the nuclear option with Fiery Confluence.

Miracles:
    -3 Hero of Oxid Ridge
    -2 Chrome Mox
    +3 Phyrexian Revoker
    +1 Blood Moon
    +1 Trinisphere
    I side out the Chrome Mox because I never feel in a rush for mana against Miracles. Removing Hero of Oxid Ridge also lowers my curve a bit. The fact that Chrome Mox can get countered by CB on lands makes me wary of playing it.

Anyways, this is how I SB against these MUs. I am not entirely sure if it is correct.

Thanks!

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

That looks like a fun list! Lots of haste.
    Shaman otH looks really aggressive. I'd like to try it with Prophetic Flame speaker after seeing that list. How has Sin Prodder been?

The cards that make me feel hopeless when Burn matches go poorly are Searing Blood/Searing Blaze and Smash to Smithereens. Most Burn lists run Lavamancer as a 2-of, so I feel adding any number of Revokers is just guaranteeing you'll lose the artifact creature while taking 3 to the face.
    I agree with +X Confluence and +1 3Sphere. But mostly mulligan to turn-1 3sphere or CotV.

Against D&T (which is abysmal in my experience), I want bodies and Moon effects are generally weak. I actually keep Magus over the enchantment because plowing Magus means a creature I care about more gets to live. And if they keep a hand without Plains then Magus wins you the game anyways.
    Your modes for Confluence are typically going to be creatures, artifact, artifact. Revokers have a gillion targets here. I would go - Blood Moon and 3Sphere, + Revoker and Confluence.

Against Miracles you want a steady supply of threats and you want all your fast mana to power out a lock piece turn 1 (at that point they either have FoW or they don't). The reason Koth is in your sideboard is for this matchup. Trinisphere is worthless because... well, because you are playing against Miracles. The game will go long and they will hit all their land drops.
    + Revoker, + Koth. - 3Sphere, - Hero. Look for turn 1 CotV or Moon, but don't throw away a hand with 2 three-drop token-making creatures that you can play turns 1 and 2. Try to keep a reserve creature in hand for the inevitable Terminus. And they struggle against Koth.

Edit: If you ever main deck Confluence, resolving it early as 3x opponent is reeeeally good against Miracles. For main deck Mentor lists they can pretty much guarantee a token reset and usually get the Mentor too if they start to dominate the battlefield.

Thanks for the response guys. I have been jamming with this list that I found online.
    http://www.hareruyamtg.com/jp/k/kD04238W/
    The deck is pretty brutal. I really like Shaman of the Great Hunt in particular. He is savage with Goblin Rabblemaster and Hanweir Garrison.
    Indeed an interesting list. But it has an astonishingly low number of lands included. I always run 20 lands plus 4 apes and 4 chrome moxen, even though i do have a very low Stompy curve of not having a single 4cmc threat in my 75.
    How many lands are you guys currently running?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by zangoasyl View Post
    Indeed an interesting list. But it has an astonishingly low number of lands included. I always run 20 lands plus 4 apes and 4 chrome moxen, even though i do have a very low Stompy curve of not having a single 4cmc threat in my 75.
    How many lands are you guys currently running?
    19 lands with 1 five drop, 8 four drops, and only 3 Chrome Mox
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

What do you guys think of play 2 smuggler's copter in the main? I feel like the creatures that make tokens you have no problems turning this guy on and is a source of card advantage. I'm going to test with 2 and let you know how it goes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I just saw Smuggler's Copter on screen at EE5 in a red stompy list. The card took over the game won it for the guy. He made use of the mugus by using it to activate copter. Then the draw discard ability is so good in the stompy deck. Wish I had his deck list to see how many main he is playing.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Ace is testing them today he said. Does anybody still play seething song in this deck? I like the aspect of big mana, but maybe it's mostly reserved for mono red sneak variants. Also what about new 4 mana chandra? Is she not better than Koth? She's card advantage that can also be a clock, she can ramp you up in mana, and she can kill off dudes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Ace is testing them today he said. Does anybody still play seething song in this deck? I like the aspect of big mana, but maybe it's mostly reserved for mono red sneak variants. Also what about new 4 mana chandra? Is she not better than Koth? She's card advantage that can also be a clock, she can ramp you up in mana, and she can kill off dudes.
    Love the new Chandra, I play 2 in the main. Every time I have resolved a Chandra I won that game.

Quote Originally Posted by CovenantElite30 View Post
    I just saw Smuggler's Copter on screen at EE5 in a red stompy list. The card took over the game won it for the guy. He made use of the mugus by using it to activate copter. Then the draw discard ability is so good in the stompy deck. Wish I had his deck list to see how many main he is playing.

He's only playing one. Seems like a noob move to me.

Thread Information