Page 173 of 197 FirstFirst ... 73123163169170171172173174175176177183 ... LastLast
Results 3,441 to 3,460 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by Jelmerz77 View Post
    First thought is "Cute" and the double red isn't great. But recurring can be pretty nice.
    Maybe someone can test it in the creature build.
    Yeah, it doesn't appear better than Thunderbreak Regent. The phoenix 'dies' to bolt. And Regent at least does some damage if it gets plow'd. Needed haste to be Legacy relevant (IMO).

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

Quote Originally Posted by NormalGuy View Post
    What do you guys think of Rekindling Phoenix?
    It's got cool art!

Quote Originally Posted by NormalGuy View Post
    What do you guys think of Rekindling Phoenix?
    Thunderbreak Regent has better utility against removal since it triggers also from exiling and bouncing. Also +1 toughness.

Territorial Hellkite has the haste it's missing. Also higher stats AND higher damage per turn ratio even though attacking only every second turn.

Archdemon of Paliano is the benchmark for 2BB 5/4 flying vanilla beater. 2RR 4/3 stats are not even close, and the ability is not worth the drop in stats IMO.

Due to a change in my work schedule I've had to take a break from paper legacy and MTGO lately, but I'm about to jump back in to prep for GP Seattle. Going to be testing blood sun and other tech. Excited to jam moons again.

Saying that having less toughness is a big downside seems weird, because any toughness-based removal used on it (or going into combat vs a 3/x) will cause it to come back anyway

It also matches up way better against Baleful Strix than Regent does, blocks any big creature forever (Tarmogoyf, Angler, Marit Lage), you're more happy to trade it in combat (admittedly there arent many creatures in legacy where this specific sizing is relevant, I can only think of TKS and Hooting Mandrills).

I guess that it's worse than Thunderbreak Regent when your opponent uses plow on it. But given that 'worse' only means "you dont' get a free lava spike" is that really such a big deal? Maybe the prevalence of DRS + Bolt limits the strength of this card but there are some serious upsides when compared to the dragon.

Disclaimer: I have no experience playing this deck I just thought the Phoenix looked like a cool/good card, and I know people have used Thunderbreak in the past and this seemed like a significant improvement

Dec 2013
    NJ

It's also got a neat interaction with Feldon of the Third Path where when you copy the phoenix with feldon, then sac that token you get the phoenix 0/1 token, and then get to put the real phoenix card onto the battlefield. That's probably too cute, but seems pretty cool.

Anyone got their most recent Walker List handy?

I'm sort of close to building this deck on mtgo minus the Red Specific Pieces since I bought into Eldrazi Post and wanted more options to play fun and interactive magic

Thanks!
    Solnox on MTGO

Miracles is a good matchup for depths. Quote me on this

Griselbrand is not an interesting creature.

Dread it. Run from it. Marit Lage still arrives

Anyone try the new blood sun yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Im gonna sunday, at least two MD and if I can a third

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Edit:
    Current Moonwalker List:

11 mountain
    8 sol land
    4 chrome mox
    4 ssg
    4 chandra tod
    2 chandra pyromaster
    3 fiery confluence
    4 burning wish
    4 blood moon
    4 cotv
    3 trinisphere
    3 spyglass
    3 bridge
    3 blood sun

Side:
    4 macabre
    1 bridge
    1 trinisphere
    2 kozileks return
    1 roast
    1 fiery confluence
    1 boiling seas
    1 pyroclasm
    1 boom bust
    1 stone rain
    1 banefire

As mentioned, testing out Blood Sun in lieu of Magus at a bi monthly local. I shall share my impressions of the card!
    Last edited by jandax; 01-21-2018 at 03:13 AM.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

I've come to feel that subbing the Magus for Sun isn't the right direction to go in. That's still cutting a threat, I felt threat light today and when things lined up it went like clockwork. However I still wanted more action and after removing 3 wincons.

Quote Originally Posted by jandax View Post
    I've come to feel that subbing the Magus for Sun isn't the right direction to go in. That's still cutting a threat, I felt threat light today and when things lined up it went like clockwork. However I still wanted more action and after removing 3 wincons.

Remove 4 burning wish and add 4 Sin Proders and call it a day

Feb 2008
    Breda Area, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by CovenantElite30 View Post

How about "Nope". Sin Prodder does nothing for the "Walker" List and Burning Wish adds a lot of versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by Jelmerz77 View Post
    How about "Nope". Sin Prodder does nothing for the "Walker" List and Burning Wish adds a lot of versatility.
    Burning wish is slow and would rather be doing something else with my mama. This is just my opinion. I prefer the more proactive lists.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Nope.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

would rather be doing something else with my mama. This is just my opinion.
    Hahahahah!

Two Stompy lists placed at the SCG Classic this weekend.

4th - http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...?DeckID=118419

Creatures (9)
    2 Walking Ballista
    3 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

Planeswalkers (6)
    2 Chandra, Pyromaster
    4 Chandra, Torch of Defiance

Lands (19)
    11 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors

Spells (26)
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Chrome Mox
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Lotus Petal
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    3 Trinisphere
    4 Blood Moon
    1 Abrade
    4 Fiery Confluence

Sideboard
    1 Trinisphere
    4 Faerie Macabre
    2 Abrade
    2 Chaos Warp
    2 Kozilek's Return
    2 Sudden Shock
    2 Volcanic Fallout

13th - http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...?DeckID=118393

Creatures (8)
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

Planeswalkers (7)
    1 Chandra, Pyromaster
    2 Koth of the Hammer

Lands (18)
    10 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors

Spells (27)
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Fiery Confluence
    3 Rolling Earthquake

Sideboard
    3 Sorcerous Spyglass
    3 Trading Post
    3 Faerie Macabre
    3 Sulfur Elemental
    3 Abrade

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Hahahahah!

Two Stompy lists placed at the SCG Classic this weekend.

4th - http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...?DeckID=118419

Creatures (9)
    2 Walking Ballista
    3 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

Planeswalkers (6)
    2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Lands (19)
    11 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors

Spells (26)
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Chrome Mox
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Lotus Petal
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    3 Trinisphere
    4 Blood Moon
    1 Abrade
    4 Fiery Confluence

Sideboard
    1 Trinisphere
    4 Faerie Macabre
    2 Abrade
    2 Chaos Warp
    2 Kozilek's Return
    2 Sudden Shock
    2 Volcanic Fallout

13th - http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...?DeckID=118393

Creatures (8)
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

Planeswalkers (7)
    1 Chandra, Pyromaster
    2 Koth of the Hammer

Lands (18)
    10 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors

Spells (27)
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Fiery Confluence
    3 Rolling Earthquake

Sideboard
    3 Sorcerous Spyglass
    3 Trading Post
    3 Faerie Macabre
    3 Sulfur Elemental
    3 Abrade
    Looks like burning wish did well here lol. I like the Walking Ballista going to have to try them out. I’m also surprised to not see any Blood Sun. I’ve been using them online with success.

Mar 2012
    Denton, Texas

Hi, I was the pilot of the 4th place list at the SCG Classic this weekend. Will be writing a report soon but feel free to ask any questions. But want to say thanks to everyone that had been posting about this deck on here for the past 6 month or so. This was my first time playing it and I tried to read up on everything y'all had posted about.

Feb 2008
    Breda Area, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by ItsBill View Post
    Hi, I was the pilot of the 4th place list at the SCG Classic this weekend. Will be writing a report soon but feel free to ask any questions. But want to say thanks to everyone that had been posting about this deck on here for the past 6 month or so. This was my first time playing it and I tried to read up on everything y'all had posted about.
    What was your reasoning for adding the Walking Ballista?
    Particular matchups in mind?

Thx

Jelmer

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by ItsBill View Post
    Congrats! And welcome

In hindsight, what do you think of your sideboard choices? Anything you'd change?

Mar 2012
    Denton, Texas

SCG Classic Dallas/Fort Worth 1-21-18
    Players: Close to 70
    Rounds: 7

I will include Sideboard suggestions that I think can be good as I may not remember exactly what I did as I was still trying and learning as I went.

Round 1-Grixis Delver
    G1- Was a close one that I was able to lock out with blood moon and bridge and chalice. Though my opponent did say he had an out to the single bridge so I assume Kolaghan's Command

Sideboard-+2 Volcanic fall out, 2 Kozilek's return, 2 sudden shock, 2 abrade 1 trinishpere
    - 1-3 Magus of the Moon, 1-3 trinisphere(on draw), 1-2 Walking ballista

Thoughts are trinishpere on the play is another card that can be the nuts and protect your lock pieces but not as strong on the draw when they have daze and spell pierce available. Fallouts and sudden shocks just over more board and spot removal that is uncounterable while Kozilek's return is just an extra instant and cheaper board wipe for pyromancer +tockens, delver, and deathrite. The though on barista is normally leave it in as it can be a cheap way to deal with delver or pyro but get the extra board clear and uncounterable removal.

G2- He gets deathrite shaman and keeps me off blood moon and just drains me out of the with out me finding or resolving an answer.

G3- turn 1 trinisphere gets forced, t2 I play chalice for 1 with daze protection and then stick a blood moon, fall out his deathrite and young pyromancer and he concedes.

1-0
    Round 2- Death an Taxes

This is a match up I tested most against just because my friend loaning me the deck is a longtime DnT player so I fell good about the match up.

G1- Is scary. I get a blood moon out which protects me from ports and but I get stuck on 4 mana while he has thalia on board and I have too many cards in my hand to make bridge good. Luckily when he stone forged he went for batterskull then recruiters for mirrian crusader and gets me to 4 and then I finally get my 5th mana and confluence for 2 and kill his vial. With the board cleared and now being able to empty my hand we move on to the next game.

Sideboard +2 Kozilek's return, 2 Volcanic Fallout, 2 abrade, 2 sudden shock
    - 3 trinisphere, 2 CotV, 3 magus of the moon

After boarding the match up feels great. With all of the artifact hate and 6 mom proof answers (sudden shock, K Return and Walking Ballista) just make sure you have enough mana to not get out tempo by thalia.

G2- I kill everything he plays and stick a blood moon to make sure his Thalia stopped getting bounced by karakas.

2-0
    Round 3-Alluren

G1- He get basics backed up by deathrite so we get into a long game battling over chalice trying to lock out 2 and 3(already had a bridge in play) to stop him from comboing and sit behind a bridge for a long time since I couldn't ping him with chandra pyromaster because of leovold. So I have to wait for Fiery confluence to clear his board and finally start killing him then find a Chandra Tourch and close it out quickly.

Sideboard +Trinisphere, 2 Volcanic fallout, 2 Kozilek's Return, 2 Sudden Shock, 2 Abrade
    - I don't remember,just remember leaving in bridge which was wrong because he is a combo deck. I know I just wanted answers to his combo felt a lot of my hate pieces would be strong and while trinishpere doesn't stop his combo it does make them have to pay for everything and that gives us all the time along side chalice even when he has abrupt decay.

G2- I end up going for the kill to soon with fiery confluence while I have Fallout in hand and he combos me.

G3- fix my sideboard and take out bridges and I get a blood moon and kill his 2 deathrites, he is then stuck with 1 forest and 6 mountains and he couldn't do anything while I tick up Chandra's and have answers to anything attempt at comboing.

3-0
    Round 4-Burn

G1-Win the roll and mull to a turn 1 chalice and get a Chandra he has to kill but I have another that closes the game.

Sideboard +Trinisphere, 2 chaos warp, 2 abrade , 2 koliek's return
    -4 blood moon, -1 spyglass, -4 bridges

Just want to have answers to early creatures and and possible needles, Chaos warp was for vortex put revealed an extra purpose.

G2- he has smash for trinisphere along with turn 1 goblin guide and fire blasts me out.

G3- mull into a little bit slow hand but lots of gas. I play mountain go, he goes goblin guide I draw a city of traitor and play my trinisphere. he gets stuck on 2 lands and I stick a chalice on 1. 2 turns go by and I have chaos warp and figure out I can try and put him back on 1 land so I go for it end of turn and he gets a goblin guide. I fiery confluence to clear them and then land a walking ballista that I keep pumping and swinging to kill him before he can come back.

4-0
    Round 5-U/W Stoneblade

G1- I play trinisphere followed up by blood moon and he has his only back to basics which hindered me quit a bit due to not drawing enough lands to freely do what I wanted but I am able to get bridge down and finally get my hand low enough to sit at 4 life. I can't draw a Chandra, ToD and so I just sit behind my bridge and keep pining away with chandra, pyromaster and just pray he doesn't have an out to my single bridge. I would of loved to try and kill him with her let but couldn't because of trinisphere making me pay for all of them and the fact I had already seen 3 so end the game with Chandra, Pyromaster having over 25 loyalty. My opponent and I laugh about it.

Sideboard +2 abrade and 2 chaos warp
    - doubt really remember, again I just having a number of trinishpere versus the force and counter magic decks as it lets my important pieces resolve easier and I wanted the chaos warp for Jace, the mind sculptor.

G2- I get an early blood moon and them Chandra, ToD along with killing his equipments and he was never really in the game.

5-0
    Double ID into top 8

Quarterfinals-Lands

Finally get to play lands which there have been about 5 or so around me all day. Opponent knows what I'm on and isn't happy to make top eight straight into a nightmare match up.

G1 I keep a hand that has bridge and trinisphere. I play mountain pass. He goes double Mox diamond loam thespian stage. I untap and play bridge and opponent just sinks know he was going to have a turn 2 dark depths into a spot he can't really win but we play till i blood moon and draw Chandra, ToD.

Sideboard +2 abrade
    -trinisphere

not a lot to do in this match up since we already have such a lopsided match but wanted some more answers to his mana off mox diamond and any needle effects he brings in as well as tireless tracker. one thing I wanted to remind myself of was not to rely on just a magus of the moon with the new interaction of moon effects and lands that could give my opponent an easy 20/20 with 2 lands and a punishing fire.

G2- He mulls to 6 turn one gambles of mox diamond and has 4 cards. I have 25% chance to hit he tutor and I do which was molten vortex. didn't really matter since I have blood moon and spyglass and my opponent scoops them up.

Semifinals-Sneak and Show with Omni and Cunning wish

G1- I have a hand with spyglass and bridge. Turn 1 I spyglass and name sneak attack and just plan to make him show and tell my bridge in. Luckily I'm able to get a Chandra, ToD on board before he can draw a sunning wish and answer my single bridge.

Sideboard +2 abrade, 2 chaos warp
    - trinishpere, walking ballista

Don't have much here and want to see if there is anything else that can help out.

G2- I have bridge in hand and able to spy glass him again. get a chandra down and a turn or 2 from chandra ult and winning but he finds wipe away and swings with emrakul.

G3- We both mull to 5 and I have what seems like a great start of spyglass into chalice into chandra and hey draws into show and tell grisel brand and i can't find bridge in time

I loved playing the deck for the event and it did exactly what I hoped it would do for me in the few match ups i wanted to see. Still a lot to learn on how I want to sideboard and what is really needed versus what is overkill.

Walking ballista was included from a lot of testing versus DnT. I also found I didn't like either rabble master or hanweir garrison since I was on the bridge main plan so ballista seems to fit the bill. It was an early option to answer delver who can sometimes kill us to fast before bridge matters, can sit behind bridge and helps a ton versus DnT and their sanctum prelate which if they drop on locks us almost completely out before boarding. This is also why I included 1 abrade main.

I am looking forward to playing more of this and digging more to see if there is any other cards that can help or if it is more about mulligan decisions. Sorry for poor formatting was typing this off an on today while watching my daughter. Can't wait for some feedback and suggestions.

Thread Information