Page 100 of 197 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110150 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,000 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Site Contributor
    Feb 2011
    Vancouver

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

dropped by this thread to see if i could make a couple suggestions after using Rabblemaster and Regent in the 3- and 4-drop slots. Nice to see Rakka and Flamespeaker already getting some love.

How about Outpost Siege in the Chandra slot and Awaken the Ancient at the 4-drop slot? The latter seems a hell of a lot better than Griselhünd…
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    I'm not saying sugarcoat the tournament scene, that's impossible, but for God's sake just act like a damned grown-up. Be polite, play fast-ish but allow for a little thought now and then, represent the rules to the best of your ability and be a good sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    WotC fucks up something computer related. Film @ 11.
    @warfordium on twitter.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by warfordium View Post
    dropped by this thread to see if i could make a couple suggestions after using Rabblemaster and Regent in the 3- and 4-drop slots. Nice to see Rakka and Flamespeaker already getting some love.

How about Outpost Siege in the Chandra slot and Awaken the Ancient at the 4-drop slot? The latter seems a hell of a lot better than Griselhünd…
    Outpost Siege is definitely an interesting card to consider if you're looking to generate card advantage. It is easier to cast than Chandra if you're running her, so that's a plus. 3R is far superior in this deck than 2RR. I could see sexy combo shenanigans with the Dragon side and token generators, while the Khans side is straight up good on its own. This does provide some flexibility in the card as it could be used at any point in the game fairly well. Chandra's main advantage would be the unblockability that she offers with her +1, so I think it both depends on your playstyle and your build to determine which card would be superior in most situations.

Awaken the Ancient is really bad. First, it costs 1RRR and that color requirement basically makes it too inconsistent to be worth it. On top of that, a generic 7/7 with haste is nothing too special in the world of Swords to Plowshares and trying to find one of your 10 or 11 Mountains to enchant is going to problematic. Then if your opponent kills that Mountain your manabase could be royally screwed because of how heavily we rely on those Mountains to give our landbase some sense of stability. So, after all that, we look at the card and see that the costs are far too high to be worth running.
    Quote Originally Posted by danpo View Post
    At minimum I'd say it outclasses Beetleback Chief.

I've been lurking on this thread for a couple months and finally got the all the pieces for the shell of the deck together and took it for a spin last night. For my first serious foray into the Legacy format(as opposed to laughing at everyone with my coin flip deck), I think I did pretty well to go 2-2. Anyway, figured I'd give a report on what's effectively a first draft of the deck and ask for some feedback.

List
    3 Trinisphere
    3 Phyrexian Revoker

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

3 Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
    2 Hanweir Watchkeep
    2 Acolyte of the Inferno
    2 Pia and Kiran Nalaar

2 Stone Rain
    1 Pillage
    2 Darksteel Pendant

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    12 Mountain

Sideboard
    4 Pyroblast
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Faerie Macabre
    1 Trinisphere
    2 Flametongue Kavu
    1 Vexing Shusher
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Pyrokinesis
    1 Shatterstorm

1st match: UR Stoneblade
    Blood Moon did work but not enough. Between missing chalice triggers and Jitte being an absolute house I just kinda folded.

2nd match: Reanimator
    Game 1 Magus of the Moon early on shuts my opponent out. Game 2 I'm baddie and don't drop turn 1 Tormod's crypt because I think I'll have time to bait him into dumping more things in the yard to nail with it, so he drops Iona, Shield of Emeria on turn 2. Game 3 Blood Moon is a sweet card you guys.

3rd match: Combo
    I saw a whole lot of tops in game one, which were used to seriously slow down Hanweir Watchkeep, but the lock pieces eventually got there. Game 2 consisted of him sitting there staring at a trinisphere, eating a Stone Rain and then proceeding to not draw a third land. Also of note: Darksteel Pendant did a lot of digging while he was durdling with top, which probably resulted in me getting enough live draws to capitalize on the lock pieces.

4th match: Blue Stompy?
    I'm not really sure if the deck was an established archetype but it had a whole lot of serum powder, sol lands and blue. I made a lot of misplays and didn't have an answer to Jitte which basically solos my deck. Afterwards my opponent told me that the Hanweir Watchkeep seriously messed with his play sequencing, so I suppose it might function more as a lock piece in some matchups?

Overall I think my main issue is my sideboard. It's a bit of a mess right now and even with clear choices of things to bring in, I don't have a good sense of what to side out in most situations. Suggestions are welcome.

I felt the two Stone Rains did a fair bit of work last night. Two feels like a good number for the deck. It's not something you want overly often but it can ruin someone's day when people are keeping hands with low land counts or to knock out their sole basic.

Pillage seemed good on paper but ramping into it doesn't work and I found myself siding it out fairly often. The idea of having at least one artifact hate card maindeck is appealing, but this card just did not pull its weight.

Darksteel Pendant: did work. Nice to be able to drop it off a turn one sol land if need be. I'm not entirely sold on it, but being able to dig for threats/answers after establishing a lock proved to be surprisingly useful.

Mom and Dad do work. I don't know if I would want to run more than 2 in the deck though, as multiples are semi dead draws.

Acolyte of the Inferno: Honestly I was expecting more chump blockers to show up and I really just want this card to be better than it is. Gonna cut him and try something else.

Hanweir Watchkeep: In a similar vein, I expected more Tarmogoyfs to block with this guy's five toughness. As a threat he just feels too inconsistent, and burning your own turn not casting spells to flip him just is not reliable if you don't have Chalice or Trinisphere online.

Jaya Ballard: Was better when I was derping around the format with a half built shell and blowing up Omniscience. I've got a soft spot in my heart for this card and want to find a home for it, but it didn't do as much heavy lifting as I'd hoped. Dunno if I'm ready to cut it, but it might need a slightly different shell to really shine.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

I can get behind most of your choices except for the big threat selection. I would replace the Watchkeeps, the Acolytes, and at least one Jaya (maybe 2) with different threats. Good choices could be Rakka Mar, Rakdos Pit Dragon, and Goblin Rabblemaster.

I'm also not sure about the Pendants as they don't seem to do enough for me. Maybe they could be better as some kind of equipment like Jitte, SoFI, or SoBM. Even just adding more threats could be nice.

No matter what you do, build towards your own playstyle. Only you are going to know how the cards work within your deck.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I am 7-2 in GP SeaTac with Dragon Stompy.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    I am 7-2 in GP SeaTac with Dragon Stompy.
    Fuck yeah man!
    Keep it up. Looking forward to seeing your list.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

It's more or less the same list I posted a few months ago from Knightware:

4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    2 Stormbreath Dragon
    4 Thunderbreak Regent
    1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    10 Mountain

2 Chandra, Pyromaster
    2 Koth of the Hammer
    1 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    3 Magma Jet
    3 Trinisphere
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Feb 2015
    Seattle, WA, USA

Get there.
    "Move swift as a wind, stay silent as a forest. Strike fierce as a fire, be stalwart as a mountain."

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Like the list. Best of luck!

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Fact: Wizards can't Math.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

http://tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=18766&iddeck=142318

Goblin stompy was undefeated day 1 lol. Glad to see those sudden shocks in the SB.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    It's more or less the same list I posted a few months ago from Knightware.
    Koby,
    Looks like the differences are:

+ Pia and Kiran Nalaar
    + Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker

- Sword of Fire and Ice
    - Koth of the Hammer

Could you comment on how Sarkhan treated you? Would you continue using him?
    Were there any matches other than Reanimator/Sneak n Show where you would bring in Ensnaring Bridge?

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Blastoderm View Post
    http://tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=18766&iddeck=142318

Goblin stompy was undefeated day 1 lol. Glad to see those sudden shocks in the SB.
    I really like this list. With the 3x goblin settler along moon effects, you should crush control so easily.

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    I really like this list. With the 3x goblin settler along moon effects, you should crush control so easily.
    Boil and Koth in the SB are the final nails in the coffin :P

My meta surprisingly has only 1 Miracles so going this route isn't what I want to be doing. But this player certainly made the right meta call for this GP.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Koby,
    Looks like the differences are:

+ Pia and Kiran Nalaar
    + Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker

- Sword of Fire and Ice
    - Koth of the Hammer

Could you comment on how Sarkhan treated you? Would you continue using him?
    Were there any matches other than Reanimator/Sneak n Show where you would bring in Ensnaring Bridge?
    Pia and Kiran never came up. I think they can also be SCG but I wanted something a little cheaper for when I'm tight on mana. Never cast it all tournament though.

Sarkhan was good as a third Stormbreath. Only used the +1 mode, and it was great vs Baleful Strix.

Ensnaring Bridge also came in vs Shardless BUG decks because wtf how do we deal with Goyf? I lost 3 matches to Tarmogoyf beatdowns.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Speaking of goyf beatdowns, what do people think of aftershock? The card isn't super amazing against beatdowns for obvious reasons.. but hey, it is the red vindicate.

SGC and Rakka Mar are great vs Goyf.

The Moggcatcher based decks tend to be better vs Goyf than the Dragon and Planeswalker based decks. The ability for Moggcatcher to indefinitely answer a Goyf while also applying pressure is huge in those matchups. The deck is much weaker to damage based sweepers and bolts/punishing fire, so that is certainly a tradeoff. I was working on an artifact heavy version for a while to be the best of both worlds, but it was more prone to just dying to itself.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by ZTurgeon View Post
    I was working on an artifact heavy version for a while to be the best of both worlds, but it was more prone to just dying to itself.
    Plus you'd need to find an alternative to Chrome Mox. I wanted to explore Crumble to Dust in a build with Boom // Bust, Stone Rain, Fulminator Mage, Goblin Settler, and Ravaging Horde but I'd need to switch to Mox Diamond and I do not have any of those yet...

Thread Information