Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Feb 2015
    Seattle, WA, USA

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Maindeck

Made the following changes to the maindeck:
    -1 Krenko, Mob Boss
    -2 Koth of the Hammer
    +1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker (I might move Kiki-Jiki to the sideboard, this was who I swapped out for Krenko)
    +1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    +1 Murderous Redcap (I like the Redcap against decks that pack Pernicious Deed)

Mana
    11x Mountain
    4x City of Traitors
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x Chrome Mox
    4x Simian Spirit Guide

Hate
    4x Blood Moon
    4x Magus of the Moon
    4x Chalice of the Void
    3x Trinisphere

Wincon
    4x Goblin Rabblemaster
    4x Moggcatcher
    2x Siege-Gang Commander
    1x Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
    1x Murderous Redcap
    1x Tuktuk Scrapper

Other
    2x Umezawa's Jitte
    2x Sudden Demise
    1x Sword of Fire and Ice

Sideboard
    4x Phyrexian Revoker
    3x Stone Rain
    2x Sudden Demise
    2x Koth of the Hammer
    1x Trinisphere
    1x Stingscourger
    1x Goblin Sharpshooter
    1x Goblin Settler

I tried out the Revokers and they feel a lot better than Pithing Needle.

Sunday Night Legacy, Green Lake Games
    The atmosphere at GLG is pretty casual so I didn't bother recording how I sideboarded each round. Turnout is usually 6~10 players a week.

Round 1, Enchantress - Loss
    I'm up against Stephen, and I'm excited because I've never faced his deck before, only spectated matches when my games were over. Enchantress is a really cool deck!

Game 1
    I land a Trinisphere on turn 1, back it up with a fast clock and the game is over.

Game 2
    I had to mulligan and kept a hand that had no hate, but a slight clock and a Sudden Demise that I kill his Argothian Enchantress with. He eventually lands Solitary Confinement, sits behind it and kills me with Rest In Peace + Helm of Obedience.

Game 3
    I think I could have won this game. My opening hand was Moggcatcher, Mountain, Mountain, City of Traitors, Trinisphere, Sudden Demise. I play Mountain. He plays a Forest and Green Suns' Zeniths for a Dryad Arbor. I make a mistake here in playing City of Traitors. Instead of just blowing up his Arbor with Sudden Demise, I lay down Trinisphere, holding out for a 2-for-1. He plays a land and passes. I play my Mountain and drop Moggcatcher, destroying my City. I figure that the deck is about 50% mana sources at this point and I'm bound to draw one, and proceed to draw several Chrome Mox that I can't cast while he eventually assembles Leyline + Helm. All this could have been avoided if I'd killed his Arbor, then played City on turn 3 instead of turn 2. I tend to view City as a colorless Dark Ritual and value speed over resilience, but I'm learning that this deck isn't *just* speed, you can sometimes win a slow game by just playing big threats, and I have a habit of taking unnecessary risks because it gives me a thrilling feeling.

Round 2, Nic Fit - Win
    I'm up against my friend Max, who crushed me last week. It's payback time!

Game 1
    I land a turn 1 Chalice of the Void and it's basically game.

Game 2
    Max deploys Veteran Explorer on turn 1. I go Ancient Tomb, Chrome Mox imprinting Siege-Gang Commander, Exile SSG, Goblin Settler. Turns out he kept a one-lander hoping that I would have to eventually attack into Settler. I eventually draw into a Moggcatcher, assemble the Kiki-Jiki + Settler lock, then deploy several Siege-Gang Commanders vs Max's board of a single Veteran Explorer that I refuse to attack into until I have an overwhelming alpha strike.

Round 3, Burn - Loss
    I'm up against Casey. The last time we fought, I vividly remember having a Trinisphere and two Pithing Needles naming each of his fetchlands in play while he sat there, drew and passed each turn. This was not to be today.

Game 1
    I mulligan aggressively for a hand that has either Trinisphere or Chalice of the Void, even though my initial seven had a turn 2 Moggcatcher and my six had a turn 3 Siege-Gang Commander. My five was a no-lander and my four was miserable, but playable. He burns me out.

Game 2
    See Game 1, except I land a Chalice on 1 that eats a Smash to Smithereens.

I think I mulliganed too aggressively. I had several playable hands that I tossed back because they had no Trinisphere or Chalice.

Round 4, Infect - Win
    I'm up against Shawn. He's a beloved member of Seattle's Legacy community -- lending out decks to people without them and he always has a smile on his face. Very fun guy to be around.

Game 1
    Turn 1 Blood Moon, he has no Force. I kill him.

Game 2
    I land a Chalice on 1. He plays a Seal of Primordium. At some point in the game, he Brainstorms and plays a Noble Hierarch while my Chalice is still in play. Turns out we both forgot about my Chalice of the Void set to 1 because he has a Seal of Primordium in play that we also both forgot about. We have a good laugh then he animates his Inkmoth Nexus, pumps it a couple times and eats my face.

Game 3
    He mulls to five, and then I land a turn 1 Blood Moon and he has no Force. I kill him. We split prizes since he got paired down.

--------------------------------------------------

Monday Night Legacy, Card Kingdom
    This shop is a bit more hardcore than Green Lake Games. The store credit payout is higher and it's in a cool neighborhood so it attracts a lot more sharks. Also, I forgot some of my opponents' names since Card Kingdom regularly gets turnouts of 20+ people so I don't know all of them yet.

Round 1, Show and Tell - Loss

Game 1
    Had an early Trinisphere backed by a clock. He played an Engineered Explosives with two counters on it vs my Jitte-wielding SSG while he had 4 lands, my Tuktuk Scrapper blew it up. He casts another one and blows up the Jitte. I play a Magus of the Moon and swing, then a second Magus. He Burning Wishes for Pyroclasm and wipes my board. I eventually topdeck a Rabblemaster for the win. I don't know what my opponent is on, and this affects my next game. (In retrospect, the basic Island and basic Mountain heavily suggested Show and Tell. I thought it was some kind of Storm deck due to the Burning Wish.)

I board as follows:
    +4 Phyrexian Revoker
    +3 Stone Rain
    +1 Koth of the Hammer
    +1 Trinisphere
    +1 Goblin Settler

-4 Blood Moon
    -2 Sudden Demise
    -2 Umezawa's Jitte
    -1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    -1 Chrome Mox (I board out a single Mox every time I board in Revokers because I've found they sit dead in hand)

Game 2
    He eventually casts Show and Tell. He gets Emrakul, I get Moggcatcher. Unfortunately, I didn't board in my Stingscourger -- didn't have the read. Lost quickly.

I board as follows:
    +1 Stingscourger

-1 Umezawa's Jitte

Game 3
    He eventually gets out Omniscience, but amusingly enough my Trinisphere forces him to pay 3 for each spell. Turns out that a 15/15 for 3 is still good value, though...

Round 2, BUG Delver - Win

Game 1
    I land a Blood Moon on turn 1 and it's basically over from there. This deck is designed to crush Delver decks.

I board as follows:
    +4 Phyrexian Revoker

-1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
    -1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    -1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    -1 Chrome Mox

Game 2
    He eventually resolves a Tombstalker, but 3x goblin tokens that were left behind after my Siege-Gang Commander got Disfigured + Tuktuk Scrapper + Magus of the Moon outraced it.

Round 3, MUD - Loss

Game 1
    I play Mountain. He plays Lotus Petal x2, City of Traitors, Lodestone Golem. That 1 extra mana cuts me off from making any relevant plays. Four swings later, I'm dead.

I board as follows:
    +4 Phyrexian Revoker
    +1 Trinisphere
    +1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    +1 Goblin Settler

-4 Chalice of the Void
    -2 Sudden Demise (only kills Baleful Strix)
    -1 Chrome Mox

Game 2
    Mull to 5, Turn 1 Jitte, Turn 2 Monkey, Turn 3 Blood Moon. I swing a few times and get him down to 12. He lands a Dimir Signet to escape the Blood Moon lock and casts The Abyss, which kills my SSG. The turn after that he lays down a Tangle Wire. We both do nothing for a while but I eventually land a SSG and put the Jitte (with 1 counter) on it. All I need is to swing, and then I can kill his Lodestone Golem by -1/-1-ing it three times. Next upkeep, he forgets about the Abyss trigger. I'm about to swing on my turn but realize the SSG is supposed to be dead, so I kill it.

My reasoning for doing this is that my opponent was an unfamiliar face. I remember how angry I got when at my first night at this shop, an opponent cast a Thoughtseize on me for 1 mana while I had a Trinisphere and a Chalice in play. Even though I am under no obligation to remember his Abyss trigger, I would rather lose a game vs. a player than get a win and potentially make them feel unwelcome -- plus, I'm of the opinion that the cards you play ought to work. I realize that the previous rule re: triggers was annoying for some players felt the rules forced them to play for their opponent, but I believe that is a small price to pay to ensure that the game functions the way it is supposed to. So, my SSG died and his Lodestone Golem killed me a few swings later.

Now, if I ever played in a big tournament with cash on the line, I would totally let my opponent screw themselves out of a game via missed triggers. I dunno if I would do it against a fresh player over some store credit. Maybe a few months from now my tune will change.

After the game, I learned that my opponent hadn't played Legacy for about six months -- half the game they did things like forget that my Blood Moon turned all their Artifact Lands into Mountain, missed triggers on stuff here and there, etc. So, I was patient with them because this is a complex and difficult game. Was I right?

Round 4, Storm - Win
    We're both 1-2, so it's a battle for honor, which is worth very little nowadays. We're both very relaxed since there are no prizes on the line.

Game 1
    Chalice on 1 lol gg. He tries to sneak a Gitaxian Probe past it but I catch him.

I board as follows:
    +4 Phyrexian Revoker
    +1 Trinisphere
    +1 Goblin Settler
    +1 Stone Rain

-2 Sudden Demise
    -2 Umezawa's Jitte
    -1 Murderous Redcap
    -1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    -1 Chrome Mox

Game 2
    Turn 2 Blood Moon GG

A rather anti-climactic conclusion.

---------------------------------------

Stuff I Learned This Week

A deck that fetches for Basic Island + Basic Mountain is Show and Tell, not Storm. Also, I think my sideboard plan was incorrect (aside from not bringing in Stingscourger, which was DEFINITELY wrong. (One player commented that the shop had four Show and Tell players, so I ought to devote more slots to that matchup.))

When my opponent is trying to sneak a spell past my Chalice, they suddenly either start playing very quickly, or tank for an absurdly long amount of time before casting their spell that my Chalice trigger should counter. From now on, I'll just instinctively point at my Chalice after I see my opponents cast a spell after their playing speed changes as opposed to saying "OK" or "it resolves". I like playing at a fast pace, but being more deliberate will help me in the long run.

Questions I Have
    Am I supposed to keep in the Blood Moons when I'm on the Stone Rain plan? I get the feeling swapping them out is completely wrong -- is the idea behind the Stone Rains is blowing up their only live colored sources while the Moons blank everything else? If so, what am I supposed to board out instead? The equipment?

Some people I know have suggested maindecking Stingscourger. Have any of you tried that?

I'd also just like any advice you all can give me. Thank you.
    Last edited by Morzas; 03-03-2015 at 09:37 PM.
    "Move swift as a wind, stay silent as a forest. Strike fierce as a fire, be stalwart as a mountain."

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Morzas View Post
    I tried out the Revokers and they feel a lot better than Pithing Needle.
    I board out a single Mox every time I board in Revokers because I've found they sit dead in hand.
    Typically if the Needle effect has to be played on your first turn, Revoker still gets the job done with all our fast mana and sol lands. Revoker stopping mana abilities also feeds our Blood Moon plan and neutralizes 'outs' like Mox Diamond and Aether Vial. It carries equipment and dodges Mother of Runes and Sudden Demise too.

I've found you need to keep about 26/27 red cards to reliably imprint a color on Chrome Mox and cast your red spell. I'm currently trying 4 Revoker main deck with all 4 Trinisphere in the board to maintain the colored card requirement.
    I'm also trying a split of 3 Chrome Mox/1 Lotus Petal.

I make a mistake here in playing City of Traitors.
    I tend to view City as a colorless Dark Ritual and value speed over resilience, but I'm learning that this deck isn't *just* speed, you can sometimes win a slow game by just playing big threats, and I have a habit of taking unnecessary risks because it gives me a thrilling feeling.
    This is a lesson you can only learn the hard way!
    I still just go for it occasionally. Sometimes you've got to raise the ante to get rid of the guys whose hands get better than yours after the flop.

A deck that fetches for Basic Island + Basic Mountain is Show and Tell, not Storm.
    It also implies your opponent doesn't know what you are playing yet or isn't familiar with your deck. His only motivation to fetch a basic Mountain is if he's worried about Price of Progress or Wasteland. Why fetch a basic Mountain ever if your opponent main-decks 8 Moon cards?

One player commented that the shop had four Show and Tell players, so I ought to devote more slots to that matchup.
    I'd recommend Ensnaring Bridge! Good against Sneak + Show, Reanimator, 12 Post.

Questions I Have
    Am I supposed to keep in the Blood Moons when I'm on the Stone Rain plan? I get the feeling swapping them out is completely wrong -- is the idea behind the Stone Rains is blowing up their only live colored sources while the Moons blank everything else? If so, what am I supposed to board out instead? The equipment?

Some people I know have suggested maindecking Stingscourger. Have any of you tried that?
    I put Stone Rain in the board whenever I get frustrated from losing to my opponent drawing into a singleton card or fetching it on the play or before I can land a Moon. It is also pretty good (and fun) against Miracles. So yes, swapping Stone Rains for Blood Moons would be wrong. I board out the equipment, Sudden Demise, or Siege-Gangs/1-of Gobs depending on how the rate in the matchup. I also just love playing Stone Rain and have a foil set of the Kamigawa art. Pet card in a pet deck.

I've tried Stingscourger in the main deck. I put it back in the board though. If you are expecting a room full of Emrakul, he seems pretty good to have in your 60.

After the game, I learned that my opponent hadn't played Legacy for about six months -- half the game they did things like forget that my Blood Moon turned all their Artifact Lands into Mountain, missed triggers on stuff here and there, etc. So, I was patient with them because this is a complex and difficult game. Was I right?

Now, if I ever played in a big tournament with cash on the line, I would totally let my opponent screw themselves out of a game via missed triggers. I dunno if I would do it against a fresh player over some store credit.
    I think the inset quote is a healthy attitude to have.

When my opponent is trying to sneak a spell past my Chalice, they suddenly either start playing very quickly, or tank for an absurdly long amount of time before casting their spell that my Chalice trigger should counter. From now on, I'll just instinctively point at my Chalice after I see my opponents cast a spell after their playing speed changes as opposed to saying "OK" or "it resolves". I like playing at a fast pace, but being more deliberate will help me in the long run.
    I say "countered by Chalice" and motion towards the card.

Good to hear about your experiences with the deck!

Quote Originally Posted by Blastoderm View Post
    Split the finals of a local monthly today... Played vs all the basics :(

R1: MUD (why me??), lose 1-2
    R2: Miracles, win 2-1
    R3: Enchantress (oh god..) lose 0-2
    R4: Merfolk (really??) win 2-1
    R5: Junk (finally some nonbasics) win 2-1

Quarters: Food Chain win 2-0
    Semis: Deathblade (with green) win 2-1

My list was the one mentioned in Ace's summary. Sudden Shock was awesome all day! Hound of Griselbrand was amazing as well vs Deathblade, Junk and Merfolk. Definitely keeping 4.

Rakka Mar was insane...I didnt draw many moggcatchers for some reason today but she helped finish most of my games. Hardcasting siege-gangs was also very common and usually game-ending. Three SGC is a good number.

My sb was:

3 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Koth of the Hammer
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Anarchy
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    3 Phyrexian Revoker

Going forward I might put tuktuk scrapper #2 in the SB. Trinisphere was bad but only because I didn't play against what I was expecting to. Usually very bad vs anything midrange but great vs miracles and delver.
    I will say that a settler turns enchantress from a bat matchup to a very very good one. Since they are slow and don't really have removal, you get to get the moggcatcher into settler into kiki combo online almost all the time and they can't beat it unless they were super far ahead. You just keep blowing up their lands with multiple enchantments and eventually they can't keep up. It feels weird because it is a completely different axis than normal, but I have won a ton of games with that against them because every turn after you get a rabblemaster and make dudes who can't attack because of a grass or confinement. The second they can't pay any more because of your settler lock, they die.

Quote Originally Posted by ZTurgeon View Post
    I will say that a settler turns enchantress from a bat matchup to a very very good one. Since they are slow and don't really have removal, you get to get the moggcatcher into settler into kiki combo online almost all the time and they can't beat it unless they were super far ahead. You just keep blowing up their lands with multiple enchantments and eventually they can't keep up. It feels weird because it is a completely different axis than normal, but I have won a ton of games with that against them because every turn after you get a rabblemaster and make dudes who can't attack because of a grass or confinement. The second they can't pay any more because of your settler lock, they die.
    Thanks. Yea I could see that working but you absolutely need to draw a Moggcatcher. I don't really like playing settler kiki main though...I might prefer it in the sb. Do you use this combo in any other matchup? I feel like SGC+SGC or SGC+kiki would just end games anyways; enchantress being the exception. And vs Miracles I tend to side in Boil.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Anarchy and Settler both destroy Enchantress. SGC is nice to let you get around things like Elephant Grass as well, so our Enchantress matchup is a hell of a lot better than it used to be. I'm not a big fan of either Chalice or Trinisphere against them and would probably take out some number of those guys in the matchup.

@Morzas: Get some bridges in the side. They're amazing against Show and Tell decks as well as Reanimator and I'd even bring them on against Merfolk. Also, if you ever see Pyroclasm, it's a fairly strong sign that you're up against Sneak Show. Im not sure what other Red and Blue deck would even run that.

Thanks. Yea I could see that working but you absolutely need to draw a Moggcatcher. I don't really like playing settler kiki main though...I might prefer it in the sb. Do you use this combo in any other matchup? I feel like SGC+SGC or SGC+kiki would just end games anyways; enchantress being the exception. And vs Miracles I tend to side in Boil.
    I use it all the time. It blows up basics when blood moon is out, is my number 1 game plan against miracles and deals with problematic lands like maze of ith, grove, or dark depths. Mostly that legacy decks run so few land that taking out 1 or 2 normally ends the game.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Went 3-1 at my weekly. Total of 29 players.

Mana
    11 Mountains
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 Chrome Mox
    1 Lotus Petal
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

Prison
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Phyrexian Revoker

Creatures
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    3 Instigator Gang
    3 Rakdos Pit Dragon
    1 Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

Removal
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    4 Sudden Demise

------------
    Sideboard
    3 Koth of the Hammer
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Ingot Chewer
    4 Leyline of the Void

R1: Scott on ANT. Win 2-0
    Turn 1 CotV@1, turn 2 Magus, turn 3 Rabblemaster.
    Next game was turn 1 3sphere, turn 2 CotV@2, turn 3 CotV@1 and a Revoker, which I forgot cost 2 mana (and therefore gets countered).

R2: Sam on R/G Lands. Loss 0-2???
    He's on the play and I keep a turn 2 Blood Moon hand. He starts with Manabond, ends his turn putting 6 lands into play, including Stage and Depths...
    Game 2 he lands a Seismic Assault. I was aware of this tech but learned a lesson that Revoker can stop it. Didn't matter though. I lost because I ended up with as many lands in play as he did...

R3: Alex on DDFT. Win 2-0
    He's on the play and mulls to 6 both games. Neither game was close.

R4: Anthony on Patriot Delver. Win 2-1
    I lost the first game due to counter magic and my Ancient Tombs.
    Game 2 he scoops after I blow up his Jitte and play one of my own.
    Game 3 was extremely close! 2 Revokers naming SFM and Jitte let me stablize. Lock pieces and Rabblemaster let me win.

The store had an Ugin and foil Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker, so I originally intended to play for top 4 in order to get both. BUT they sold the Ugin and we were expected to get a ton of snow (we did) and I live an hour+ from this store... so I split top 8 getting $36.25 in credit which I put towards the Sarkhan and a Steel Overseer.

There is a Philadelphia Legacy Series tournament on Saturday. I made a bunch of changes in order to test some things out for that event. I am a fan of the 3 Mox/1 Petal split. Having all my Trinispheres in the board was also fine. 4 Revoker main deck wasn't bad.
    I also like the synergy between Rabblemaster and Instigator Gang.

I am convinced Rabblemaster is an auto-include for this deck. I am not fully sold on Moggcatcher.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    I am not fully sold on Moggcatcher.
    And I wouldn't run anything else.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Zupponn View Post
    And I wouldn't run anything else.
    Here's where I'm coming from regarding my statement on Moggcatcher:

Right now 'Dragon' Stompy is in a weird place because there isn't a 'best' version of it.

Dragon Stompy - Not really used anymore that I've seen (from TCDecks).
    Werewolf Stompy - Allows use of Cavern of Souls (on Humans) better than any other version. Its creatures are generally the biggest.
    Goblin Stompy - Allows for a toolbox and is the best at filling the board with creatures. Its creatures are generally the smallest.
    Control Stompy - Main decks Ensnaring Bridge instead of Trinisphere and uses planeswalkers and boardwipes.

The problems I have identified with Moggcatcher are as follows:
    • A '2 damage to all creatures' spell resets your board.
    • Your opponent has to pass the turn before you get any value.
    • If you don't untap with Moggcatcher but need a 1 of goblin, you are pretty screwed.
    • Generally, having multiples in play doesn't do much for you.

Having said that, if you DO untap with Moggcatcher the game tends to swing in your favor quickly (barring a Pyroclasm effect from your opponent).
    I have only gotten to test it in 4 rounds of real Magic, but the interaction between Goblin Rabblemaster and Instigator Gang is promising. The gang's mana cost is also less of a stress on our mana base.

Feb 2015
    Seattle, WA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    I'd recommend Ensnaring Bridge! Good against Sneak + Show, Reanimator, 12 Post.
    I'm gonna wait until after MM2015 to get my playset -- there is a chance, however small (point for its reprint: I don't think WotC wants this casual all-star card to cost $20; point against its reprint: unfun card in limited), that it could get reprinted there. In the meantime, I'll consider packing a playset of Confusion in the Ranks in my sideboard.
    "Move swift as a wind, stay silent as a forest. Strike fierce as a fire, be stalwart as a mountain."

Not sure if I'll ever stick with Rabblemaster. Moggcatcher has gotten me out of too many hardcast Batterskull/topdeck Jitte situations it's unbelievable. Same thing with playing 3 SGC. I don't like using a toolbox maindeck.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Not sure if I'll ever stick with Rabblemaster. Moggcatcher has gotten me out of too many hardcast Batterskull/topdeck Jitte situations it's unbelievable. Same thing with playing 3 SGC. I don't like using a toolbox maindeck.
    I don't think that the question is Rabblemaster vs Moggcatcher or Rabblemaster vs SGC. It's more Rabblemaster vs whatever other random stuff we could run.

As for the Instigator Gang, I don't think that it's good at all. Remember that we want our cards to be high impact by themselves. IG is not that high impact. Sure, he's a big body at times, but unless you Time Walk yourself he's probably going to be nothing more than a 2/3 that attacks for 3. He does have great synergy with Rabblemaster, but if that's the main selling point then he's not worth it because he doesn't do enough by himself. Also, by playing him, you can no longer break Bridge like Moggcatcher and SGC can and go back to having an unwinnable matchup vs Enchantress. The flexibility and ability to grind with Moggcatcher are far more useful to have than another random beater IMO.

I don't think that the question is Rabblemaster vs Moggcatcher or Rabblemaster vs SGC. It's more Rabblemaster vs whatever other random stuff we could run.

As for the Instigator Gang, I don't think that it's good at all. Remember that we want our cards to be high impact by themselves. IG is not that high impact. Sure, he's a big body at times, but unless you Time Walk yourself he's probably going to be nothing more than a 2/3 that attacks for 3. He does have great synergy with Rabblemaster, but if that's the main selling point then he's not worth it because he doesn't do enough by himself. Also, by playing him, you can no longer break Bridge like Moggcatcher and SGC can and go back to having an unwinnable matchup vs Enchantress. The flexibility and ability to grind with Moggcatcher are far more useful to have than another random beater IMO.
    Same for Rakka-Mar. So much tarmogoyf/liliana/batterskull in my meta and she just CRUSHES it.

What I don't get is why nobody is discussing imperial recruiter at this point. There was only a single top8 finish in a major event of this deck in the last 5 years (Marshall Arthurs SCG Open Columbus 09/11/14 - http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=8470&d=248627&f=LE ) and he ran 4 recruiters. It adds so much of the desperately needed consistency to this deck at the price of less direct threats. I think that is the point we should discuss!

I am not really happy with his SB choices (even though his report suggests a lot of good choices, especially flying spaghetti monster against reanimator). But the rest feels pretty solid. My testing over the last 2 month with this build only lead to -1 koth +1 rabblemaster.
    Especially the caverns add value due to 12 important humans in the main 60 plus toolbox jaya in the side...

I know recruiters are expensive, but in my eyes they are definitely worth it!

What do you guys think?

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

I haven't tested Recruiter at all, so I can't really voice an opinion on him. I guess the advantage of him is that you have 8 Moggcatchers and a terrific gameplan against Miracles of just chaining Recruiters to negate their Terminuses. The biggest downside I see is that he doesn't end the game very fast, especially on his own, and I'm not too sure if that's an important thing or not. Also, if you're running Recruiter, what's the advantage of running this deck vs just going Painter-Grindstone? That just seems like a better place for him in my opinion.

Another thing that makes me not too interested in testing Recruiter is that I've been fine without him, so that's going to definitely influence my thought process. You talk about the only Top 8 this deck has had, but the only other recent Top 16 in a 200+ player tournament was my list without Recruiter. Sadly, we don't have very many results to go off of.

Sorry for forgetting about this awesome result of yours!!
    It's true, with recruiters it may happen that your game ending threat comes to play one round later. On the other hand it provides a perfect toolbox where every single creature in the deck is tutorable, which effectively feels like running 8 magus and 8 moggcatcher, 5 redcap and 5 SGC at the same time.

@painter:
    Well, painter does not have that many nice prison elements and does not usually go for dork beatdown. Question of playstyle probably... But being an important card in another deck should not have a big influence on the discussion of whether this card can improve mono red moggcatcher or not... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by zangoasyl View Post
    Sorry for forgetting about this awesome result of yours!!
    It's true, with recruiters it may happen that your game ending threat comes to play one round later. On the other hand it provides a perfect toolbox where every single creature in the deck is tutorable, which effectively feels like running 8 magus and 8 moggcatcher, 5 redcap and 5 SGC at the same time.

@painter:
    Well, painter does not have that many nice prison elements and does not usually go for dork beatdown. Question of playstyle probably... But being an important card in another deck should not have a big influence on the discussion of whether this card can improve mono red moggcatcher or not... :-)
    I have tested the list with Recruiters and found that I didn't need all 4. Running 4 cut down on the number of goblins, and I liked having 2 copies of siege-gang (I found it difficult to run more than 1 scg and 4 recruiters). I still haven't made up my mind about rabblemaster yet. I do run 1 copy of recruiter as my "5th" moggcatcher and that works fine. I have fluctuated between 1-2 recruiters. I think running 4 just takes away too many goblin slots.

I know the focus has been on goblin toolbox, werewolves, etc recently.

I ran this:

4 ancient tomb
    4 city of traitors
    10 mountain
    4 simian spirit guide
    4 chrome mox
    4 trinisphere
    4 chalice of the void
    4 blood moon
    4 magus of the moon
    3 sword of war and peace
    4 priest of urabrask
    4 bonfire of the damned
    4 seething song
    3 Stormbreath dragon

Board:
    3 Ratchet bomb
    4 Goblin Sting Scourger
    3 Anarchy
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Ensnaring bridge

I went 1-2, but I was very flooded three games.

I'm very happy with my performance and the main deck.
    I played enchantress, elves, maverick.

Bonfire is mvp, magus mvp, sowp mvp, Stormbreath Dragon mvp.

Just as I thought and nice to see it backed up.

Stormbreath + equip into song monstrous is game.

I will probably take out priests for rabblasters. Keep you posted.
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Hi guys,

My deck's current decklist:

Lands - 20
    4x Cavern of Souls
    4x City of Traitors
    4x Ancient Tomb
    8x Mountain

Artifacts - 14
    4x Chalice of the Void
    3x Trinisphere
    3x Chrome Mox
    1x Phyrexian Revoker
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    1x Sword of Light and Shadow
    1x Sword of Fire and Ice

Enchantments - 4
    4x Blood Moon

Creatures - 22
    4x Moggcatcher
    4x Simian Spirit Guide
    3x Prophetic Flamespeaker
    3x Magus of the Moon
    2x Imperial Recruiter
    1x Goblin Settler
    1x Siege-Gang Commander
    1x Kiki-Jiki Mirror Breaker
    1x Stingscourger
    1x Tuktuk Scrapper
    1x Murderous Redcap

Sideboard
    3x Ensnaring Bridge
    3x Pyrokinesis
    3x Tormod's Crypt
    1x Stingscourger
    1x Goblin Sharpshooter
    1x Boartusk Liege
    3x Confusion in the Ranks

Note:
    *Imperial Recruiters helps you find phyrexian revoker when you need it most because this deck only has 1 revoker and take note, its on the main board.
    *Tuktuk scrapper = destroys artifact when needed
    *Murderous Redcap = mini spot removal
    *Stingscourger = karakas type of creature, very effective against decks with biggies (sneakshow, reanimator)
    *Settler = land destroyer, favorite target would be basic lands when you already have magus/blood moons online
    *Siege-Gang Commander = favorite card to fetch using moggcatcher to overwhelm the opponent.
    *Kiki-jiki = Keycard of the Goblin Stompy, This one card is very important since this copies your tools when they're already in play to double the their triggered abilities. Avoid pitching this for your Chrome Moxes! =)

Could be Mainboard / Sideboard
    Shrieking Mogg - Taps all other creatures and it is very effective when you have moggcatcher to get this and copy it with kiki jiki every declare attacker's phase of the opponent

Lightning Crafter - Very good spot removal and can even perform combo when you have Skirk Prospector in play

Boartusk Liege - Very effective lord card for all your red creatures, take note that this deck not only runs goblins but also run some other creature types good thing this creature pumps red card and it is very effective against sweepers like pyroclasm.

Ingot Chewer - Can be used when the meta has mud players

Prophetic Flamespeaker - Very good extra card draws, You're like using chandra pyromasters/outpost siege ability twice. Very effective when you have Swords i.e. SOLAS, SOFI, Jitte

Imperial Recruiter - Very good toolbox finding card when moggcatcher's still offline. I suggest to put 2-3 of it if possible. because we hate graffdigger's cage

Sudden Demise - Good sweeping card but I suggest Pyrokinesis is much efficient than this because pyro is instant, and you dont have to use mana.

Goblin Rabblemaster - Aggro type of Goblin Stompy, This card can kill opponents fast.

What do you think?

Thanks!

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by cin View Post
    What do you think?
    There's nothing wrong with your main deck.
    How has it performed for you?

I'm not sure you need Confusion in the Ranks though. Why not go to 4 Ensnaring Bridge and Tormod's Crypt? You could also fit another toolbox goblin in there if you cut CitR.

Thread Information