Page 188 of 197 FirstFirst ... 88138178184185186187188189190191192 ... LastLast
Results 3,741 to 3,760 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Jun 2018
    Massachusetts Area

Re: [DTB] Dragon Stompy

I was able to try out sarkhan, the fireblood in some games tonight and really enjoyed the card draw it provided for me. especially when topdecking. It being a discard up to was also really useful as it can ult eventually without discarding anything. I saw a page or 2 back the opinions of sarkhan and wanted to know if anyone was having any success with it.

on another note, how good is witchbane orb for us against planeswalkers or just random things we could get hit by?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by ThermalLeech View Post
    how good is witchbane orb for us against planeswalkers or just random things we could get hit by?
    Not very.
    I think for the same mana cost, Karn, Scion of Urza is better.

I was able to try out sarkhan, the fireblood in some games tonight and really enjoyed the card draw it provided for me. especially when topdecking. It being a discard up to was also really useful as it can ult eventually without discarding anything. I saw a page or 2 back the opinions of sarkhan and wanted to know if anyone was having any success with it.
    Good to hear! I still think the card has potential... Were you playing a Dragon list? Or just using it to filter?

I'm still toying around with Moggcatcher. I went 1-4 at the SCG Philly Classic, losing to Burn 3(!!!) times and the mirror once.
    The loss against the mirror (Chandra/Karn/Bridge version) was brutal. I won the die roll and lead with City -> Chalice@1. That lost me game one because I couldn't catch up on mana since City kills itself... Game 2 I resolved 3ball turn 1 and my opponent couldn't catch up. Game 3 was heartbreaking because I had just stabilized at 6 life with a Trashmaster and Moggcatcher on the board with a 3ball out. My opponent had an empty board, with 3 lands and a Chrome Mox with 1 card in hand. I entered my end step and had to decide if I was going to worry about Fiery Confluence or not. I decided to fade Confluence and make a Siege Gang end of their turn for a lethal swing (cause Trashman lords) my next turn. I'm immediately punished when my opponent untaps and plays Confluence... What I should have done was EoT search up Settler, nuke a land, then sac the Settler to Trashman to destroy the mox, locking them under 3 ball. Oh well.

I will say, Goblin Chainwhirler is the real deal.

On another note... It appears the bannings corrected the meta and Dragon Stompy will be returning to Tier 2 status. I stated earlier that Stompy being a DtB is a sign of an unhealthy meta and I embrace our return to the Established Deck thread as a good thing.

Jun 2018
    Massachusetts Area

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Not very.
    I think for the same mana cost, Karn, Scion of Urza is better.

Good to hear! I still think the card has potential... Were you playing a Dragon list? Or just using it to filter?
    By hit by I meant physically targeted by. Like a Jace or a tendrils or charbelcher or something. And the sarkhan was only to draw cards

So over the past few weeks, a few different people have asked me for my current list and sideboarding guide. In Comp REL, I'm 14-3 since the bans, and am currently 113-52 in leagues since the ban.

Current List
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Magus of the Moon

4 Chrome Mox
    2 Trinisphere
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Chalice of the Void

4 Blood Moon

3 Fiery Confluence

4 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    3 Karn, Scion of Urza

4 Great Furnace
    7 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors

Sideboard:
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Abrade
    4 Scab-Clan Berserker
    1 Chaos Warp
    4 Sulfur Elemental
    2 Kozilek's Return
    Here is the current sideboards I commonly use for the most popular decks

Miracles
    Add
    4 Scab-Clan Berserker
    1 Chaos Warp
    4 Sulfur Elemental
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    Remove
    3 Fiery Confluence
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Magus of the Moon

Death and Taxes
    Add
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Abrade
    1 Chaos Warp
    4 Sulfur Elemental
    2 Kozilek's Return
    Remove
    1 Blood Moon
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Magus of the Moon
    2 Trinisphere

RUG Delver
    Add
    1 Chaos Warp
    Remove
    1 Chandra, Torch of Defiance

Sneak and Show
    Add
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Abrade
    4 Scab-Clan Berserker
    1 Chaos Warp
    Remove
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    1 Fiery Confluence

Lands
    Add
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Abrade
    1 Chaos Warp
    Remove
    2 Trinisphere
    2 Fiery Confluence
    1 Karn, Scion of Urza

Storm (ANT &TES)
    Add
    2 Abrade
    4 Scab-Clan Berserker
    2 Kozilek's Return
    Remove
    4 Ensaring Bridge
    4 Chandra, Torch of Defiance

Stoneblade
    Add
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Abrade
    1 Chaos Warp
    4 Sulfur Elemental
    Remove
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    1 Chrome Mox

Grixis Delver
    Add
    2 Abrade
    1 Chaos Warp
    2 Kozilek's Return
    Remove
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    1 Chrome Mox (Draw)
    1 Karn, Scion of Urza (Play)

4c Loam
    Add
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Abrade
    1 Chaos Warp
    2 Kozilek's Return
    Remove
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    2 Trinisphere
    1 Chalice of the Void

Grixis Midrange
    Add
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    4 Scab-Clan Berserker
    1 Chaos Warp
    Remove
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Magus of the Moon
    3 Fiery Confluence

Eldrazi Stompy
    Add
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Abrade
    1 Chaos Warp
    1 Kozilek's Return
    Remove
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    2 Trinisphere

B/R Reanimator
    Add
    4 Scab-Clan Berserker
    1 Chaos Warp
    Remove
    2 Blood Moon
    3 Fiery Confluence

Infect
    Add
    2 Abrade
    1 Chaos Warp
    2 Kozilek's Return
    Remove
    3 Karn, Scion of Urza
    2 Ensnaring Bridge

Turbo Depths
    Add
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Abrade
    1 Chaos Warp
    Remove
    3 Karn, Scion of Urza
    2 Trinisphere

Elves
    Add
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Abrade
    2 Kozilek's Return
    Remove
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    2 Karn, Scion of Urza (Play)
    2 Blood Moon (Draw)

Burn
    Add
    2 Abrade
    4 Scab-Clan Berserker
    4 Sulfur Elemental
    2 Kozilek's Return
    Remove
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Ensnaring Bridge

Questions/Comments/Concerns?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

By hit by I meant physically targeted by. Like a Jace or a tendrils or charbelcher or something. And the sarkhan was only to draw cards
    I understood. The danger of Jace is free Brainstorms. Storm or Belcher will just win through Empty the Warrens or bounce your artifact before killing you.

Jun 2018
    Massachusetts Area

I understood. The danger of Jace is free Brainstorms. Storm or Belcher will just win through Empty the Warrens or bounce your artifact before killing you.
    that seems fair, the issues with jace for me have been slam and fateseal over brainstorm. the extra cards aren't useful if they cant be cast.

my sideboard is just a bit weird now to adjust for local meta stuff

2x damping matrix
    1x boil
    2x sorcerous spyglass
    1x chaos warp
    2x sulfur elemental
    2x kozilek's return
    3x scab clan
    2x abrade

I want to test the matrix out since it only stops 2 of my cards.
    Also what are the benefits of running great furnaces over mountains. Just Karn synergy?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Ahh, to be fair, I forgot about Jace's ability to fateseal.

Great Furnaces synergize mostly with Karnstructs but also Pia and Kiran Nalaar

Zac, thanks for your list and strategy!
    Super helpful for those of us that cannot grind games.

Jun 2018
    Massachusetts Area

On another note... It appears the bannings corrected the meta and Dragon Stompy will be returning to Tier 2 status. I stated earlier that Stompy being a DtB is a sign of an unhealthy meta and I embrace our return to the Established Deck thread as a good thing.

I feel like this too is not a bad thing. The deck somehow gets sneakily better as people have started playing eldrazi aggro and lands to stop decks like D&T and show and tell. So people will end up sleeping on blood moon and bring in less hate overall. Which is always good IMO

I just need to test and find out if torpor orb is better against the meta (I've seen goblins on the rise and D&T with their wisps not caring about bridge) or damping matrix to stop abilities after the creature resolves.

I feel like this too is not a bad thing. The deck somehow gets sneakily better as people have started playing eldrazi aggro and lands to stop decks like D&T and show and tell. So people will end up sleeping on blood moon and bring in less hate overall. Which is always good IMO

I just need to test and find out if torpor orb is better against the meta (I've seen goblins on the rise and D&T with their wisps not caring about bridge) or damping matrix to stop abilities after the creature resolves.
    I have to say that torpor orb is amazing, it shuts down elves really efficiently, as well as other creature decks. It can be used to bring in against snappy decks (if there's nothing better to replace dead cards with).

I'm also running damping matrix and cursed totem to surprise creature decks. Remember cursed totem shuts off creature mana abilities too.

Feb 2008
    Breda Area, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by ZTurgeon View Post
    Questions/Comments/Concerns?
    I really like the MD and I am running something quite similar. Think I have a +1 Hazoret +1 Confluence -1 Chandra -1 Magus. But I can see running your main as well.

I do have some comments / questions about the SB and boarding and wondering what your choices were regarding.
    I see you have no GY hate in the SB. Is your SB plan vs UR/UB Reanimator and Dredge good enough with just 4 Scab-Clan Berserker and the maindeck Bridges? Or you just try to dodge them or roll over and die? (which can be a valid option if they are close to non existent in your meta).

Also vs Eldrazi:

Quote Originally Posted by ZTurgeon View Post
    Eldrazi Stompy
    Add
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Abrade
    1 Chaos Warp
    1 Kozilek's Return
    Remove
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    2 Trinisphere
    Since they run Chalice of the Void themselves my first thought is to board these out over the 4
    Goblin Rabblemaster. What is your reasoning to board out the Rabblemaster and keep the Chalices?

Otherwise the boarding is solid (with given SB obv)

Quote Originally Posted by Jelmerz77 View Post
    I really like the MD and I am running something quite similar. Think I have a +1 Hazoret +1 Confluence -1 Chandra -1 Magus. But I can see running your main as well.

I do have some comments / questions about the SB and boarding and wondering what your choices were regarding.
    I see you have no GY hate in the SB. Is your SB plan vs UR/UB Reanimator and Dredge good enough with just 4 Scab-Clan Berserker and the maindeck Bridges? Or you just try to dodge them or roll over and die? (which can be a valid option if they are close to non existent in your meta).
    I found that I would literally only bring in GY hate against Reanimator and Dredge, and none of the other decks that use the graveyard. So I decided it wasn't worth it. BR reanimator is mostly coin flip based, with it slightly in Stompys favor, but realistically a 50/50. Dredge is bad, but not unwinnable. Also, Dredge is just too rare to devote cards to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jelmerz77
    Also vs Eldrazi:

Since they run Chalice of the Void themselves my first thought is to board these out over the 4
    Goblin Rabblemaster. What is your reasoning to board out the Rabblemaster and keep the Chalices?

Otherwise the boarding is solid (with given SB obv)
    The rabblemasters just dont do anything. They hurl 1/1s into their bigger blockers and at best, trade with there middling creatures. However, in postboard games, chalice on 2 is pretty powerful, locking out their Ratchet Bombs, Spyglasses, Revokers, Jittes, and Mimics, which are most of the cards they can cast through a moon. Once you have the Moon/Bridge/Chalice on 2 lock going, you just need to worry about a ballista finishing the job.

Jun 2018
    Massachusetts Area

I could use a little bit of sideboarding help for my 2 local Metas

there is a TON of death and taxes and a ton of delver decks and stoneblade decks and I don't quite know what should be in my board.

on any given night I will need to play against Death and Taxes and at least 2 blue decks with Jace and because of this I haven't been winning very much lately. Mostly wondering what i should play or try to get around this.

Oct 2005
    Los Angeles

there is a TON of death and taxes and a ton of delver decks and stoneblade decks and I don't quite know what should be in my board.

on any given night I will need to play against Death and Taxes and at least 2 blue decks with Jace and because of this I haven't been winning very much lately. Mostly wondering what i should play or try to get around this.
    I personally like Shard Pheonix as repeatable pyroclasm that can't be Sworded or Terminuted, but results may vary. Good luck!

Abrade
    Sulfur elemental
    Sorcerous spyglass
    Kozileks return

Should all help against d&t

Scab clan berserker for blue control decks seems to be common right now

Jun 2018
    Massachusetts Area

Quote Originally Posted by ZEROorDIE View Post
    Abrade
    Sulfur elemental
    Sorcerous spyglass
    Kozileks return

Should all help against d&t

Scab clan berserker for blue control decks seems to be common right now
    I currently play all of these. Lately I just have been getting stuck on mana and end up having to run plays into daze every turn or risk falling too far behind

Feb 2008

I currently play all of these. Lately I just have been getting stuck on mana and end up having to run plays into daze every turn or risk falling too far behind
    Yes you do, you say a large part of your meta is D&T however you only run 2 Sulfur Elemental. If you look at ZTurgeon's Sideboard he runs 4. For a good reason because D&T has trouble dealing with it. If you run like you say 2 times a night into D&T you might want to go up to 3 or 4 (I would run 4)

Below his SB for reference.

Sideboard:
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Abrade
    4 Scab-Clan Berserker
    1 Chaos Warp
    4 Sulfur Elemental
    2 Kozilek's Return

Took my dragon shell to locals (the list below) and faced off against ANT, DNT, UR Delver, Classic RUG, WU miracles.

4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
    4 Thunderbreak Regent
    3 Stormbreath Dragon

2 Sarkhan, Fireblood
    1 Karn, Scion of Urza
    3 Chandra, Torch of Defiance

3 Fiery Confluence

4 Blood Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox

4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Great Furnace
    7 Mountain

SB
    3 Sulfur Elemental
    3 Pyroblast
    3 Volcanic Fallout
    3 Chaos Warp
    3 Leyline of the Void

Lost to ANT bigly.

2-0 vs RUG

2-1 vs UW miracles

2-1 vs UR Delver

2-0 vs DNT

I got the Furnace idea from this thread. Seemed like a good idea with Karn's ability to generate a token that buffs from artifacts.

Jun 2018
    Massachusetts Area

Hey guys how well do you think walking ballista would do for us main deck against death and taxes and other annoying things. Especially as another threat that kills under bridge?

Feb 2008

Hey guys how well do you think walking ballista would do for us main deck against death and taxes and other annoying things. Especially as another threat that kills under bridge?
    I tried it about a year ago pretty much for the same reasons you want to.
    I found it way too clunky and too slow.
    I also wouldn't know what to cut from the main for a walking ballista if I would want to run 1 or 2.

Jun 2018
    Massachusetts Area

Quote Originally Posted by Jelmerz77 View Post
    I tried it about a year ago pretty much for the same reasons you want to.
    I found it way too clunky and too slow.
    I also wouldn't know what to cut from the main for a walking ballista if I would want to run 1 or 2.
    Damn, lately I've just been having such a hard time main deck dealing with everything. So I'm trying to find weird cards to fix problems. I even had considered trading post

Thread Information