Page 43 of 197 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393143 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

I'm playing a hellband list too, but i realy dont like Koth and Swords in the deck and Sloger (heavy agro meta here read Maverick rs) so instead a play with 2 FTV and 2 Revokers main and realy considering put 2 Masticores in the main in the place of Molten Steal Dragons.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

@Tacosnape: Does that list have any testing put into it, or is it just a theoretical list? I'm not sure about a lot of the numbers you have there.

Jun 2009
    MN, USA

@Zuppon:

The list Taco is sporting is/was the standard Hellbent-DS list 1 or 2 years ago during/pre-Alara (Minus the Bonfire, of course). The numbers he has are correct for the build and I know hes been rocking the Hellbent list for quite some time so I think hes accurate when he provides opinions as to its effectiveness.

That having been said, I've always been more more attached to the MUD-style which sacrifices early game speed in exchange for mid-late game strength. I won't delve into a rant about the pros/cons of either list as I tend to do this every time the debate arises, however I will say that while Sulfur Elemental does have definite advantages, I am still reluctant to run a list that is susceptible to burn. At the very least I think each person should consider Elemental in their leasts as he does answer Mom/Thalia.

Forlorn Egoist
    How to play Belcher:
    Step 1) Draw 7 cards.
    Step 2) Throw said 7 cards onto the table while making a "BLAH!" sound.
    Step 3) Hold up hands quizically and ask: "Do I win?"

Decks
    Enchantress
    Dragon Stompy
    Rock
    UG Madness/Thresh (Pauper)

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

As good as Sulfur Elemental is right now, is it really better than something like Anarchy though?

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Against a nonwhite deck? Sulfur Elemental's infinitely better. Against Maverick? It's 3 mana versus 5 if a Thalia's out. And I'd rather have guys that swing against Maverick. Sulfur swings and helps screw up that ridiculous slow grindy defensive attack thing Maverick does so so well The sideboard spot could be Anarchy, if you wanted. Or you know. Something else completely.

Gonna throw this out here: Don't be scared of Burn. We do run four Chalice of the Voids and X Trinispheres main.

The list I posted is what I would run if I played DS right now. Not going to lie and say it's tested in the current metagame, but I know the deck pretty well. I play it for the Hellbent mechanic and the deck's frequent ability to create irreversible game states by turn 1 or 2.

Also, I tested new Hypergenesis a little. I'mma go out on a limb and say that Hypergenesis is going to be a very, very real deck, which makes Dragon Stompy look a little better. Chalice and Trinisphere stop Hypergen (But not S&T, and it can/will show up in Hypergen), but still the situation improves a little there.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    Against a nonwhite deck? Sulfur Elemental's infinitely better. Against Maverick? It's 3 mana versus 5 if a Thalia's out. And I'd rather have guys that swing against Maverick. Sulfur swings and helps screw up that ridiculous slow grindy defensive attack thing Maverick does so so well The sideboard spot could be Anarchy, if you wanted. Or you know. Something else completely.

Gonna throw this out here: Don't be scared of Burn. We do run four Chalice of the Voids and X Trinispheres main.

The list I posted is what I would run if I played DS right now. Not going to lie and say it's tested in the current metagame, but I know the deck pretty well. I play it for the Hellbent mechanic and the deck's frequent ability to create irreversible game states by turn 1 or 2.

Also, I tested new Hypergenesis a little. I'mma go out on a limb and say that Hypergenesis is going to be a very, very real deck, which makes Dragon Stompy look a little better. Chalice and Trinisphere stop Hypergen (But not S&T, and it can/will show up in Hypergen), but still the situation improves a little there.
    Oh yeah, I was mainly talking about Anarchy in the board vs Sulfur Elemental. Problem I have with Sulfur Elemental is that it doesn't deal with Knight, which is one of our biggest problems. I am less fearful of Thalia because typically most of our non-creature spells (Trinisphere/Chalice/Blood Moon) have to be played out early anyways to have any real effectiveness.

What makes you think Hypergenesis is going to be a real deck? I love Hypergenesis, but it seems like Sneaky Show is just better right now due to being able to play Brainstorm & Ponder? Plus, Stifle makes Hypergenesis a sad panda.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

I personally would probaly go down to 3 Arc-Sloggers in Taco's list and use FTK or LOSP in the main in place of Sulfur Elemental. I'm thinking Elemental is more sideborad material that could be brought in in place of the FTKs or LOSPs. I'm also not sure about the necessity of the Raiders to be able to play RPD. RPD stands on its own as good because of what we do. If the Raiders are good enough by themselves, then I think they deserve more consideration. Many times we only play 1-3 creatures all game, so I've been trying to make sure that those creatures are as good as possible so that they can earn us more wins.

Jun 2009
    MN, USA

So, I recently went to the monthly big Legacy here and I noticed a great deal of Maverick players in the meta, as well as how bad 3sphere is in general against curves like Maverick. So, I was thinking that perhaps if you really wanted to punish Maverick and it was prevalent in your meta perhaps SBing Damping Matrix might be an option. It literally shuts off every creature in their deck. I'm not sure how effective it would be as it doesn't kill already-large KotR/Ooze but still, being able to stop KotR tutors, Ooze's pump, Qasali's disenchant, SFM's Bskull cheat, AND Mom's protection seems like it at least makes the card worth considering.

Of course Matrix doesn't replace Anarchy, not to mention it also shuts off our equipment, at least it provides us with more than 3 slots to hose down Maverick.

Forlorn Egoist
    How to play Belcher:
    Step 1) Draw 7 cards.

Decks
    Enchantress
    Dragon Stompy
    Rock

Cursed Totem is beter tham Damping no? it's cheap and lock the anoying Hierarch, and against equipments he alredy have the bigest artifact hate movepool off all colors.

Jun 2009
    MN, USA

..... WOW! I can't believe I just had that stoner moment, especially since I believe I suggested Totem a page or so ago. Yep. Nevermind about Dtrix. Thanks for pointing that out.

Forlorn Egoist
    How to play Belcher:
    Step 1) Draw 7 cards.

Decks
    Enchantress
    Dragon Stompy
    Rock

Yeah, you sugested it two pages ago, if i'm not wrong, and i buyed then in the same day i read your post, and that's why i don't get the ideia of using matrix rsrsrs.

Hey guys new dragon spoiled what do you think? against esper he's a machine but against the rest?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Beat me to it!

For reference:

Thundermaw Hellkite 3RR
    Creature - Dragon
    Flying, Haste
    When Thundermaw Hellkite enters the battlefield, it deals 1 damage to each creature with flying your opponents control. Tap those creatures.
    5/5

Seems like a potential replacement for Arc-Slogger in the Hellbent lists. It all but guarantees hitting your opponent for 5 at least once right away.

I really wish that dragon had his ability triggered like the titans so as to make him more viable against being chump blocked by delvers.

But he is certainly an interesting choice who warrants play testing. At the moment I like the control element that Slogger brings to the table though I may want replacements for moltensteel/Rakdos Pit Dragon.

I was just at a tournament in philly at RedCaps Corner.

Played the following Deck and Went 3-3 and finished 27th out of 45

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    10 Mountain

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Seething Song
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Gathan Raiders
    3 Rakdos Pit Dragon
    3 Lord of Shatterskull Pass
    1 Moltensteel Dragon
    3 Arc-Slogger

4 Flametongue Kavu
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Red Elemental Blast
    Please forgive the somewhat Adhoc Report. I didn't take good notes and its been a long day.

Matchups
    Round 1: Esper Control
    1-2
    First game he was able to land an early Stoneforge that dropped a Batterskull I just couldn't answer after he put Jitte on it.

Second game I was able to overwhelm him with creatures.

Last game I faced all the removal and didn't have a chalice out. At some point he got Jace and ended my hopes at winning.

Round 2: Affinity with Stoneforge
    2-0
    First game a blood moon shut down his Inkmoths and I arcslogged down to 6 cards while annihilating all his creatures at some point. Was able to put it away with slogger

Second game I sided in revokers hitting Cranial Plating and overwhelmed with creatures.

Round 3:RWB Zombies.
    0-2
    First game I was caught off guard as I saw a swamp in response to a moon effect. Carrion Feeder + Gravecrawlers and blood artist and bitter blossom overwhelmed me. I had to hit a carrion feeder for 8 with slogger at some point and then got beat with bitterblossom + Goblin Bombardment.

Second game I went with a hand with more creatures and tried to race. Tragic slip hurts a lot more then I thought it would. At some point he had 7 tokens on the board and I could have swung with a Lord of Shatterskull pass @level 6 if I drew a mana source

Round 4: MUD
    0-2
    First game I was locked down with wasteland then a wurmcoil got out and Ate my face.

Second game I tried to rush him down with a first turn molten steel but again saw a wurmcoil ruin my plans.

Round 5:RWB Zombies again.
    2-0
    Unlike the last guy this guy couldn't seem to get his combo down well. Crushed him twice with creatures.

Round 6:Weird R/W Goblin Trenches Lingering Souls wut.dec
    2-1

Round one I saw some weird stuff including lightning helix + Lightning bolt plus goblin trenches and got taken for a spin

Games 2 and 3 Moon T1 shut off his mana supply completely.

Thoughts: My moons just didn't hit where I thought they would hit. Instead of scores of RUG delvers and Maverick I saw an MUD,Crazy "I have a swamp first turn" Zombies,and Esper with Counters + Path to Exile and Swords to plowshares. Perhaps it wasn't my deck so much as the meta? If my 8 moon effects aren't hitting what they need to hit why run dragon stompy at all? Probably a bad meta call on my part. I may look for a more general deck soon. I have a burn deck lined up and that can sometimes sneak in wins.

Other thoughts: Thundermaw hellkite is apparently still a really valuble card. A shame I won't get to test him in dragon stompy soon. Arc-Slogger is Really an MVP. Some of the other creatures fail to affect the board as a whole but I am always happy to see seething song + slogger in my hands. I will probably up the count to 4 in the future.

Hey everyone,

I just registered today and this is my first post.

I read all 43 pages :) thanks to all for all your insight to Dragon stompy.
    Tomorrow I have a tournament with 22 players. I am going to play with this list.

I do not know how to link cards but everyones knowledge is pretty high of the dragonstompy cards so I hope ppl have some comments to my list:

MAIN DECK:

10x mountain
    4x City of traitors
    4x Ancient tombs

4x Simian spirit guide
    4x Chrome Mox
    4x Seething Song

4x Chalice of the void
    4x Magus of the Moon
    3x Trinisphere
    3x Blood Moon

4x Priest of Urabrask
    3x Lord of the shatter skull pass
    3x Moltensteel dragon
    2x Arc slogger

2x Umezawa's Jitte
    2x Sword of body and mind

SIDE BOARD:

2x Anarchy
    3x Pyrokenesis
    3x Pyroblast
    1x Blood Moon
    1x Trinisphere
    3x Tormod Crypt
    2x Shattering Spree

When i was playing legacy in 2009 - 2010 I had the standard hellbend list. I am not so much a fan of the hellbend. To situational.
    I prefer moltensteel instead of Rakdoss, because of many delvers decks in my current meta that can Lighting Bolt even when i have Moon effects going.
    LoTP I am not sure if I really like this guy yet, but only running 4 hellbends Gathan Raider would not be good. Further more 5 mana for 3/3 body - 3 mana for 2/2 + discard isnt something i really like.
    I choose 3x 3sphere cause i really had top decking them.
    7 moon effects cause I normally grab one in my opening hand getting to much more isnt good.
    2x arc slogger, i just cant let go of this guy. Great if you get him quick and running
    I go for the priests instead of Tauren mauler so i can get my equipment going quickly. Really love the SoBM for evading goyfs and knights.

Just one question. If i have 39 cards in my library can I shoot 4 times with Arc-slogger finish of the opponent ? I know I would kill myself with my next draw. But is it even possible?

Thanks in advance for any responses

I check my look in the mirror.

Feb 2011

Quote Originally Posted by ToasTer86 View Post
    Just one question. If i have 39 cards in my library can I shoot 4 times with Arc-slogger finish of the opponent ? I know I would kill myself with my next draw. But is it even possible?
    That would work only if you had 40 cards in your library. If you have 39 you can activate Slogger's ability only three times. Exiling the cards is part of the ability's cost. If you can't remove 10 cards, you can't activate the ability.
    One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Quote Originally Posted by trivial_matters View Post
    That would work only if you had 40 cards in your library. If you have 39 you can activate Slogger's ability only three times. Exiling the cards is part of the ability's cost. If you can't remove 10 cards, you can't activate the ability.
    Thanks for explaining that. some ppl say other wise that is why I asked

What about my list what do you think?
    Last edited by ToasTer86; 07-27-2012 at 06:15 AM. Reason: grammar police

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Just curious, but why are you running SoBM over a more aggressive sword like SoFI or a more defensive one like SoLS?

Milling your opponent can be a really risky proposition in a world of Reanimator, Tarmogoyf, and Knight of the Reliquary.

Also, you can use the [cards] tag to link cards.

Well at this moment I dont have SoFI. only SoBM and SoLS

Thread Information