Page 118 of 197 FirstFirst ... 1868108114115116117118119120121122128168 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,360 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013
    Woodstock, Georgia, America

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Yeah. I mean. It's the truth.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Soldier Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Isn't the reward for an IQ the right to play standard? I'd rather get rickets.

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013

Guess I am going to run my head into the wall again this weekend and play the same list minus 1 Recruiter plus one sick signed avalanche rider. I need to get Darwin Castle to sign it so I can get hype or kappa or whatever.

Soldier Stompy

[Deck] Dragon Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Guess I am going to run my head into the wall again this weekend and play the same list minus 1 Recruiter plus one sick signed avalanche rider. I need to get Darwin Castle to sign it so I can get hype or kappa or whatever.

Good luck and enjoy drawing awkward hands :-p
    A question for you though:
    How were your feelings about the 2/2 revokers split? Did you wish for a Revoker appear more often game one than you wished for an appearing one 2 b something more threatening? Like a scab clan berserker or similar which you only have in the side? ?
    Last edited by zangoasyl; 07-30-2016 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergi View Post
    Did you ever consider Urza's Rage in place of Magma Jet or Sudden Shock? The mana cost is perfect: 2R

A lot of times I'm forced to put chalice at 2. Versus Painter (killing painter's servant)
    If you have a Chalice on 1 that deck has no text. I think letting them have a sub-optimal Uncle Istvan is fine.

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013

Quote Originally Posted by zangoasyl View Post
    Good luck and enjoy drawing awkward hands :-p
    A question for you though:
    How were your feelings about the 2/2 revokers split? Did you wish for a Revoker appear more often game one than you wished for an appearing one 2 b something more threatening? Like a scab clan berserker or similar which you only have in the side? ?
    I drew real bad. Lost to decks with 1/2 basics and only beat an old guy playing Deathshadow loam 8 rack.......

Soldier Stompy

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

The death shadow loam 8 rack deck is probably a bad matchup for us oddly enough.

Dragon Stompy is not an easy deck to play, so don't get too discouraged based on a single bad showing.
    Quote Originally Posted by danpo View Post
    At minimum I'd say it outclasses Beetleback Chief.

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013

I mean casting bloodmoon is pretty hard. I drew Moonman against the Delver deck with bolts. I'm not invested in the deck so I don't particularly care. I chose the deck for a known meta and it functioned. This weekend I was too lazy to play something else , the deck is fine but it doesn't have brainstorm.

Soldier Stompy

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

I got to try out Hanweir Garrison this weekend!
    Despite going 3-3-0, I still was rewarded with a $50 bill. But that's what happens when 59 people show up to a $5K.

Merfolk 2-1
    Miracles 2-1
    RUG Delver 0-2
    RUG Delver 2-1 7th place!
    Merfolk 0-2 15th place...
    Eldrazi 0-2 22nd place

I picked up my first ever round loss to Eldrazi (out of 8 or 9 rounds). He ran 1 basic Wastes and it let him continue casting threats game 2. Game 1 I kept an aggro hand without any Blood Moons.
    My win against Merfolk occurred when my opponent failed to draw True-Name Nemesis. My loss was when my opponent drew 1 or 2...

I went without graveyard hate and did not regret it. Ratchet Bomb and Ensnaring Bridge were beastly cards all day.
    Trinisphere never came in from the board.

I ran a 4/2 split of Garrison/Rabblemaster.
    A turn 1 Garrison enabled a quick win against Miracles.

I have heard the phrase "Rule of 8" thrown around to describe the ability to build a deck around seeing at least one of two almost identical cards in a game.
    For example: the printing of Magus of the Moon activated the Rule of 8 which allows this deck to exist.
    Hanweir Garrison and Goblin Rabblemaster look like they could be 8 cards we won't want to exclude from our maindeck 60. I have often found a turn 1 Rabblemaster into a turn 2 Rabblemaster has a high chance of stealing the game. Hanweir Garrison only further increases the chances of this. It's the real deal.

Dec 2015
    Bensalem, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    I ran a 4/2 split of Garrison/Rabblemaster.
    A turn 1 Garrison enabled a quick win against Miracles.

I have heard the phrase "Rule of 8" thrown around to describe the ability to build a deck around seeing at least one of two almost identical cards in a game.
    For example: the printing of Magus of the Moon activated the Rule of 8 which allows this deck to exist.
    Hanweir Garrison and Goblin Rabblemaster look like they could be 8 cards we won't want to exclude from our maindeck 60. I have often found a turn 1 Rabblemaster into a turn 2 Rabblemaster has a high chance of stealing the game. Hanweir Garrison only further increases the chances of this. It's the real deal.
    I had the pleasure of personally witnessing that game against Miracles. It was very entertaining!

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

It was good meeting you! Congrats on doing way better than me.

While I like Garrison, it isn't the same. 2 Rabblemasters deals 30 damage by turn 3 (1 the first turn, 8 the second turn, 21 the Third turn). Rabble into Garrison deals 19 by turn 3 (1 the first turn, 6 the second turn, 12 the third turn) and Garrison into Rabble deals 17 (0 the first turn, 5 the second turn, 12 the third turn). While all of these are good, only one of them locks up the kill against a combo deck. I don't think you can keep a Rabble and Garrison hand in the blind with no other backup like you can with a Double Rabble hand.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by ZTurgeon View Post
    While I like Garrison, it isn't the same. 2 Rabblemasters deals 30 damage by turn 3 (1 the first turn, 8 the second turn, 21 the Third turn). Rabble into Garrison deals 19 by turn 3 (1 the first turn, 6 the second turn, 12 the third turn) and Garrison into Rabble deals 17 (0 the first turn, 5 the second turn, 12 the third turn). While all of these are good, only one of them locks up the kill against a combo deck. I don't think you can keep a Rabble and Garrison hand in the blind with no other backup like you can with a Double Rabble hand.
    I hear your point, but also keep in mind that fetchlands, Probe, and Thoughtseize (harder to argue that Thoughtseize helps us as they're likely to take the 2nd copy) make our job easier. And that doing the level of damage described cuts off lines for some combo decks.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

I wonder if Garrison could replace Rakka Mar, Pia and Kiran and/or maybe the third SGC in my Moggcatcher list.

Rakka Mar could get swapped quite easily, though her haste is a nice bonus.

I really like Pia and Kiran's ability to turn extra Chrome Moxes and 3Spheres into gas later on, so I'm not sure if I'd dump her.

The third SGC is a tough one to replace as I would be sacrificing removal for a dude. Probably won't switch this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by danpo View Post
    At minimum I'd say it outclasses Beetleback Chief.

Thanks Ace,

I find your comments about Garrison very encouraging. Please continue to let us know your progress.
    I'm still very much liking Sin Prodder so I need to decide where they will fit in the deck. If I remove Trinisphere from main, I want another lock piece or hatebear rather than just more agro that gets bent over by Terminus and Verdict (happened to me twice in the same event last weekend where I went 0-3 drop: 2 Miracles and D&T where I saw no shattering spree/anarchy).
    I did play Revoker main again (2/2 split w/ Trinisphere) and, as expected, it was amazing. :-/ Never thought there would be too many good cards for this deck to run.

Kind regards,
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Hi guys,

I've won 1st at a 10-Man Legacy in a local shop here.

Decklist:
    [Land]
    8 Mountain
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb

[Creature]
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Moggcatcher
    3 Imperial Recruiter
    1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
    1 Siege-Gang Commander
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Murderous Redcap

[Enchantment]
    4 Blood Moon

[Artifact]
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere
    3 Chrome Mox

[Planeswalker]
    2 Koth of the Hammer

[Sideboard]
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Boil
    3 Sulfur Elemental
    3 Volcanic Fallout
    1 Sudden Shock
    1 Trinisphere

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Round (Miracles) [2-0] WIN
    Game 1: WIN
    - Locked him out because he kept a 1-Land hand.

Game 2: WIN
    - Rabblemaster beatdown and Siege-Gang Commander did the deal.

Boarding:
    OUT: 2x Koth of the Hammer, 1x Tuktuk Scrapper, 1x Imperial Recruiter
    IN: 3x Boil, 1x Trinisphere

2nd Round (Dredge) [1-2] LOSS
    Game 1: LOSS
    1st Turn Magus of the moon (but didn't meant alot since he has Faithless Looting in hand)
    - Didn't noticed that Bridge from below can be removed by the token produced by Kiki-Jiki is sacrificed. which lead to my loss

- 1st Turn Leyline did the deal

Game 3:LOSS
    - Mulled to 5 for LOTV but it didn't appear so I had no choice but to keep.
    - Dread Returned Iona naming RED

Boarding
    OUT: 2x Koth of the Hammer, 1x Tuktuk Scrapper, 1x Imperial Recruiter,
    IN: 4x Leyline of the Void

3rd Round (Grixis Delver) [2-1] WIN
    - (on the play) T1 Chalice and T3 Magus, and Chalice for 2 and 3 on the mid-game.

Game 2: LOSS
    - Cabal Therapy on T1 naming CoTV.
    - Countered my threats and eventually casted True-Name Nemesis in the mid-game.

Game 3: WIN
    - Destroyed my CoTV for 1 and he Surgical Extractioned it.
    - Locked him with Blood Moons and Trinispheres, Volcanic Fallout really helped my match here since he could've beaten me down by his Young Pyromancers and tokens.

Boarding:
    OUT: 1x Stingscourger, 2x Koth of the Hammer, 1x Tuktuk Scrapper
    IN: 3x Volcanic Fallout, 1x Trinisphere

3rd Round (Jund) [2-0] WIN
    - T1 Blood Moon and T2 T3 and T4 Rabblemaster made me won.

- He fetched Badlands instead of a basic land caused him the delay.
    - T1 Blood Moon on my part and it did the locking for the rest until lethal damage was given.

Boarding:
    Did not board any cards.
    Last edited by cin; 08-09-2016 at 10:29 PM.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by cin View Post
    I've won 1st at a 10-Man Legacy in a local shop here.
    Congrats!

1st Round (Miracles) [2-0] WIN
    Boarding:
    OUT: 2x Koth of the Hammer, 1x Tuktuk Scrapper, 1x Imperial Recruiter
    IN: 3x Boil, 1x Trinisphere
    Koth is typically a haymaker in this matchup. He makes threats they cannot handle profitably and only Council's Judgment can directly remove him.
    Stingscourger seems pretty weak here. I don't know what other card I'd take out... I'd probably only board in the 3 Boil.

2nd Round (Dredge) [1-2] LOSS
    Game 1: LOSS
    1st Turn Magus of the moon (but didn't meant alot since he has Faithless Looting in hand)
    - Didn't noticed that Bridge from below can be removed by the token produced by Kiki-Jiki is sacrificed. which lead to my loss

Boarding
    OUT: 2x Koth of the Hammer, 1x Tuktuk Scrapper, 1x Imperial Recruiter,
    IN: 4x Leyline of the Void
    Stingscourger's echo can clear bridges as well as Murderous Redcap (he targets himself, hitting the yard, clearing bridges, then returning with a -1/-1 counter to kill off a Narcomoeba).
    You most definitely want Trinisphere #4 in there games 2 and 3. If you cannot find leyline, but can get off a turn 1 Trinisphere you are still likely to win (turns off the 'free' spells Cabal Therapy, Dread Return) or at least get a 3 turn head start.

Take a look at Goblin Sharpshooter for your sideboard. It deals with all the X/1's in the format (except TNN of course) and Dredge cannot win with him on the board.

And again, congrats!

Edit - Oh yeah, Siege-Gang's ability also clears bridges.

Congrats!

Koth is typically a haymaker in this matchup. He makes threats they cannot handle profitably and only Council's Judgment can directly remove him.
    Stingscourger seems pretty weak here. I don't know what other card I'd take out... I'd probably only board in the 3 Boil.

Stingscourger's echo can clear bridges as well as Murderous Redcap (he targets himself, hitting the yard, clearing bridges, then returning with a -1/-1 counter to kill off a Narcoemba).
    You most definitely want Trinisphere #4 in there games 2 and 3. If you cannot find leyline, but can get off a turn 1 Trinisphere you are still likely to win (turns off the 'free' spells Cabal Therapy, Dread Return) or at least get a 3 turn head start.

Take a look at Goblin Sharpshooter for your sideboard. It deals with all the X/1's in the format (except TNN of course) and Dredge cannot win with him on the board.

And again, congrats!

Yeah I'm well aware on the wrong boarding on UWR Miracles, Because at first I thought he's using his main deck (Omnitell) on my boarding. coz I only saw 1 land in play on the first game. The one's piloting the Miracles was also my friend that's why I know he's using his pet deck Omnitell lol!

I've also tried the Sharpshooter before but sometimes it depends on the Meta. =)

Thanks for your good advices with regards to the Bridge. Bridge from below is really a pain in the *ss! lol!

Congrats!

Stingscourger's echo can clear bridges as well as Murderous Redcap (he targets himself, hitting the yard, clearing bridges, then returning with a -1/-1 counter to kill off a Narcomoeba).

And again, congrats!

If you are going to try and clear bridges with a Redcap, you need to remember to do it on your turn. If you do it on your opponent's, their triggers will resolve last, meaning they will still be in the yard when you go to kill the narcomeba. If you have the mana, SSG is better at it, because the sac is a cost.

Hello everyone! I 4-0ed the weekly I was at recently with the list below:

Creatures: (24)
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Hanweir Garrison
    4 Imperial Recruiter
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    1 Scab-Clan Berserker
    1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Avalanche Riders

Non-Creature Spells: (16)
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Blood Moon
    3 Chrome Mox
    3 Trinisphere
    2 Sudden Shock

Lands: (20)
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    3 Cavern of Souls
    1 Hanweir Battlements
    8 Mountain

Sideboard: (15)
    3 Leyline of the Void
    2 Fiery Confluence
    2 Pyrokinesis
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Faerie Macabre
    1 Chandra, Flamecaller
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    1 Koth of the Hammer
    1 Manic Vandal
    1 Stingscourger

Match 1 vs. 12 Post
    G1: I started with T1 Revoker on Candle after he started with a Post, I then Recruitered for Magus. Magus got in play, Revoker got Wailed, he eventually got a Top going while some Rabble beats started. He eventually Show and Telled in Kozilek, the Great Distortion, I put in another Recruiter, got another Rabblemaster and piled in over the course of the next few turns going wide around the Kozilek.

-3 Trinisphere
    -2 Sudden Shock
    +1 Stingscourger
    +2 Ensnaring Bridge
    +1 Koth of the Hammer
    +1 Chandra, Flamecaller

Trinisphere seems mediocre since they're such a big mana deck anyway. Really we just want to Moon them into oblivion.

G2: Mull to a five with double SSG, Magus, Moon and another creature (I think it was Recruiter). Scry City to top, he forces my t1 Magus, but then struggles against the Moon next turn. I eventually cobble together enough mana for Recruiter into a second Magus, just for security against Repeal (he had a tonne of Posts in play) and then get a Garrison to quickly beat down.

So match one, victory for the Moons. Very easy matchup.

Match 2 vs. Reanimator
    G1: I turn one a Magus off Mountain, Mox, Mox. He draws, discards Griselbrand to hand size. I get Rabble into play, attack with Goblin and Magus. He Petals and Reanimates Griselbrand, putting him to 9. I have nothing in hand, I draw Sudden Shock. I attack with everything, him, fearing some shenanigans, blocks a Goblin with Grizz. Before damage I Shock my Goblin putting him to a very low life total. If he swings with Griselbrand I kill him on the crack back. Next turn I draw a Chalice. I cast it for one. Most of the cards he draws off Grizz are now irrelevant. I swing with Goblins into Grizz (since I have to) and he gains some life. This goes on for awhile, I eventually draw a Chalice for two and assemble a turn where I cast two Rabblemasters in my second main, cracking past the Griselbrand for lethal. I feel my opponent misplayed here at some stage, though my Chalices locking him out of anymore reanimation was interesting, and we certainly put out a lot of power to race the Demon.

-2 Sudden Shock
    -1 Avalanche Riders
    -1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
    -1 Scab-Clan Berserker
    -2 Blood Moon
    +3 Leyline of the Void
    +1 Stingscourger
    +1 Faerie Macabre
    +2 Ensnaring Bridge

Usual hate, and shaved some Moons since they generally have access to basics once they're on the play.

G2: I have a Bridge and Recruiter in my hand, so good times. I get things started with a turn one Trinisphere after he Island > Ponders, which gets Forced (pitching Show and Tell). I eventually Magus him with only Island Volc in play. He opts to Izzet Charm, digging for lands, which seems weird, but he tells me later he had a second Charm in hand for when he wanted to deal with Magus after the game. He bins some fatties, I get a Rabble going, while I also find a Faerie Macabre in a draw step. So I feel I have the game pretty locked up. He eventually Charms the Rabble aiming to buy time but dorky Goblins and Magus beats kill him.

Match 3 vs. Zoo
    These were actually really scary games!

G1: I win roll, Chalice on one and then Scab-Clan Berserker his face in while he can't cast anything.

-1 Blood Moon
    -4 Magus of the Moon
    -1 Avalanche Riders
    +2 Fiery Confluence
    +2 Pyrokinesis
    +1 Koth of the Hammer
    +1 Chandra, Flamecaller

Blood Moons seemed mediocre, but they do change Kird Apes to 1/1s. I probably should've brought in Bridges.

G2: He Wastelands the crap out of me, and I have to lean on Tombs while I'm beaten up by a Kird Ape. Tin Street Hooligan Stone Rains me via hitting a Mox too. Eventually Chandra, Flamecaller comes out to stabilise the board, but he Bolts me to death after too much Tomb damage.

G3: This is a crazy game. We got back and forth, I go Chalice on 1 into Rabble, but he follows with a Tin Street to push the game in his favour. He kills the Rabble with a Bolt and a Lavamancer joins his Tin Street. I cannot find my second red source for a Confluence in my hand. Eventually he casts his Rabble (!) and things get wild. I rip Mountain off the top and Wrath him. He draws Goblin Guide, attacks, and shows me Hanweir Garrison for my next draw step. Which is great. Garrison comes in and keeps the Guide at bay - my opponent is drawing Wastelands, but I still have a lot of mana now. I draw another Confluence! I kill his Guide, but Garrison sticks around and the Humans get there. When I was on three life, and a Bolt away from death of course.

Match 4 vs. Dredge
    G1: I win roll and Chalice him for one. This cuts off his Breakthrough in hand, though he ends up using an LED to bin his hand anyway and get things rolling. Not many Ichorids or Narco's appear, though he flips a lot of Bridges. I Recruiter for Pia and Kiran Nalaar though, and slam them turn three while he's still setting up shop. I untap with them with nothing too crazy going on from him, thankfully, and then get the beats going while parents make sure Bridges will do no work as I can fling Thppters to exile them. Phew!

+3 Leyline of the Void
    +1 Faerie Macabre
    +2 Pyrokinesis
    +2 Fiery Confluence
    -1 Avalanche Rider
    -1 Scab-Clan Berserker
    -4 Blood Moon
    -2 Magus of the Moon

I realised Moons don't really do much after they've used their mana on turn one. They can still cast Looting too anyway.

G2: I keep a strong hand with a Pyrokinesis and Rabble and Garrison, plus a Chalice I think. He doesn't have an explosive draw and instead Firestorms for 1 to get his Dredging going, then Street Wraith to accelerate. He hits three Narcomoebas and an Iona, plus he has an LED in play. On his draw step, I Pyro all the Narcos (luckily no Bridges were in his yard), since if he goes to his main phase and he discard a Return to LED, then I'm locked out by Iona. I then go Rabble into Garrison while he's still not doing much (his Dredges were pretty poor) and then they bring it home very quickly.

Overall, the deck felt super strong, but I also got pretty lucky with die rolls and etc. I highly recommend the four Recruiters if you can get them - there's quite a few powerful toolboxey creatures at the moment in mono-red. It also makes Melding Garrison (as lame as it is) actually feasible, since if you actually every draw your land + Recruiter you can have access to a big trampling idiot if the game goes long. Very corner-case, but it's interesting that this is an actual possibility. The core of Rabble and Garrison were excellent though, and did exactly the job we desire. Garrison's 2/3 body was also exceptional, as I showed with the Fiery Confluence play above, something not possible from Rabble. Also, P&K was also excellent, and in my mind is the best four-drop we have access to in non-Moggcatcher versions (better than Rakka Mar, at least).

Confluence was also probably the best of the sideboard cards in terms of flexibility, though I feel another piece of artifact destruction (or Sulfur Elementals) may be warranted since there's a bit of D&T around me. I might change the Sudden Shocks to another piece of removal - maybe Jet, or maybe just some equipment. Riders also was the most mediocre Recruiter target in the main, and I might want to instead main the Stingscourger. Chandra, Flamecaller was also... Interesting. I love having a ultra-controlly planeswalker bomb in the sideboard that can stabilise the board, but she is a hella lotta mana. Another Koth may just be better.

Anyway, Dragon Stompy is awesome, Garrison is great, keep jamming this excellent deck people! :D

Garrison and Rabblemaster spitroasted the local Miracles deck.

4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    3 Hanweir Garrison
    1 Flametongue Kavu
    1 Shaman of the Great Hunt
    4 Thunderbreak Regent
    1 Avaricious Dragon
    2 Stormbreath Dragon

2 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker

3 Magma Jet
    1 Collective Defiance
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox

4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    2 Crystal Vein
    10 Mountain

SB
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Thought-Knot Seer
    2 Fiery Confluence
    2 Pyrokinesis
    3 Trinisphere
    1 Koth of the Hammer

I was playing Pyromaster main, but decided I wanted my CA to go in for beats, hence an Avaricious Dragon. Crystal Vein is there because I don't want to wasteland myself too much with City. Revoker and TKS come in for games where the Moons aren't needed.

Koth's been slow for me; I decided to add Shaman after seeing some of the Japanese using him in their lists. He seems especially potent with our ground forces, and can even make our Magi into threats in their own right.

Thread Information