Page 182 of 197 FirstFirst ... 82132172178179180181182183184185186192 ... LastLast
Results 3,621 to 3,640 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Re: [DTB] Dragon Stompy

I've been very impressed by Karn so far as well. I got a 4-1 last night with a list very similar to the GP one.

Congrats Gary, you've definitely earned it.

I was pleased to see so many Dragon stompy (as well as other prison decks) at the gp.

I managed to get to the win and in to day 2 round but a game 1 t1 blood moon and a game 2 mull to 4 against burn isn't recommended:

Match ups:

R1 grixis delver 2-0

R2 miracles 0-2

R3 maverick 2-0

R4 miracles 0-2

R5 grixis delver 2-0

R6 elves 2-0

R7 RB reanimator 2-1

R8 Burn 0-2

If you want my decklist and/or an in-depth match report let me know.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Managed a 4-2 finish at Knightware yesterday, and came in 10th on breakers. Might have done better were it not for punting a game against Sneak and Show. Oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Quote Originally Posted by ZTurgeon View Post
    People cutting Mox doesn't make sense to me. Sure, after board in some matchups you want to board some out, but game 1 in the dark, you want your best chance at having a turn 1 proactive play. Cutting Mox for land or to save "bombs" just feels like being ok with losing as long as you didn't feel as bad along the way.

The biggest hurdle to playing this deck is pitching 3 spirit guides to cast a blood moon and being ok losing when it get's forced. You have to be ok with taking risk and losing. If you try to even out the deck by playing a fairer gameplan, instead just play a fairer deck that accomplishes that gameplan better.
    Well said, stompy deck is powerful but more inconsisent by nature. You are vomitting out haynakers T1 and hope that it is enough to win the game.

If you want to enjoy more consistency, you should really consider some blue cantrip deck.

Live by the sword, die by the sword

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Hey folks, I've got a couple of questions about the Grixis Delver matchup. I'm not sure how to approach some portions of it and I'm looking for advice for people with more games than I have to chime in.

In the Grixis Delver matchup, what is the priority for casting lock pieces? Assuming you have access to Trinisphere, Blood Moon, Magus, and Chalice of the Void, what's the order of deployment there? I'm assuming Trinisphere is the best and Magus the worst, but I'm not sure how the Chalice of the Void vs Blood Moon works out. Should I be casting one of these first as bait, hoping to resolve the other? Or should I be jamming the more powerful option first?

Everybody's a jerk! You, me..........this jerk.
    Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Medea_ View Post
    Hey folks, I've got a couple of questions about the Grixis Delver matchup. I'm not sure how to approach some portions of it and I'm looking for advice for people with more games than I have to chime in.

In the Grixis Delver matchup, what is the priority for casting lock pieces? Assuming you have access to Trinisphere, Blood Moon, Magus, and Chalice of the Void, what's the order of deployment there? I'm assuming Trinisphere is the best and Magus the worst, but I'm not sure how the Chalice of the Void vs Blood Moon works out. Should I be casting one of these first as bait, hoping to resolve the other? Or should I be jamming the more powerful option first?
    First missing info is are you on the play or draw? Second is assuming you have 3 mana for any of these on T1, will you have access to 4 mana on T2 if you don't play Moon or get Wasted? Daze being the relevant variable here, as Force is just something you have to deal with. On the draw, Deathrite being another possible variable that changes your deployment.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    Look, I will suck your dick. I will suck your fucking dick. I will do it, just join my team. I’ll suck your dick. You can fuck me or get fucked by me. You can watch me fuck something. Just point at something, I’ll fuck it for you. Just tell me what you want me to fuck!
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Just to give you a general idea, on the play vs Grixis Delver: Trinisphere, Blood Moon, Chalice....... then Magus. Magus is the only card that gets removed due to MD pieces (Bolt). Everything else basically protects itself.

But like Parcher said, there are a couple more variables. Do you have another land or 2 in your hand / are you weak to Wasteland? Are you on the draw? And if so, do you have SSG to save your lock piece from Daze? If you do, you might want to consider the finesse play and totally blow your opponent out of the game with that SSG.

Stompy/Stax are tricky decks once the game has started, and you really do have to pay attention to the board state very closely after T1. Almost every situation you jam down the most effective lock piece vs your MU until you run out of lock pieces; this reasoning is that you just don't want to Time Walk yourself by laying down something not that relevant. Make them have the answer, step right into the Force, Pierce or even Daze like a dumb brute. Each card is there to take away your opponent's options (hence the "Prison" playstyle) and later on, you want to also take away the options a good topdeck can give them. That's the trickiest thing to guess.

It takes practice to close out a game tbh. Just find a couple of friends who are masochistic and get your reps in that way.
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."
    Drunken Master strategy. If I don't know what I'm doing, how would you?

Oh, and add +1 Badlands to my pile of duals. Won it at Scholars in Brockton, MA.

Lost to my friend on BR Reanimator... :(
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."
    Drunken Master strategy. If I don't know what I'm doing, how would you?

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Is there a consensus on the best sweeper to run in the SB? Fallout seems better against Delver, though it's a bit more difficult to cast. Return is easier to cast and better against DNT, but anything else?
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by bakofried View Post
    Is there a consensus on the best sweeper to run in the SB? Fallout seems better against Delver, though it's a bit more difficult to cast. Return is easier to cast and better against DNT, but anything else?
    Assuming you are main-decking Fiery Confluence, nope those are the best.

But Sudden Demise, Rolling Earthquake and Bonfire of the Damned have all seen varying degrees of play...

Thanks for the feedback folks! I finally bought into the deck on MTGO, so I'm working on becoming more proficient with the deck. I'll pop in for some questions from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by bakofried View Post
    K. Return being an instant has been a pretty big upside in my matches against Delver as well.

I think I'm probably going to drop down to 1 Karn despite how good it has been. The awkwardness with Ensnaring Bridge keeps coming up.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Now move down to zero before I spend money on any. :p

One thing I'd note is that I don't think going below 4 Chandra is correct. She's good behind a bridge, she deals with redundant copies, and she pitched to Chrome Mox in a pinch.
    -ktkenshinx-

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

I think I'm probably going to drop down to 1 Karn despite how good it has been. The awkwardness with Ensnaring Bridge keeps coming up.
    You don't need to play them next to eachother, and I recommend Great Furnace to anyone running Karn. Been really happy with it

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I read that you take out Goblin Rabblemaster against Grixis Delver in g2, but why? Is not it better to remove Magus of the Moon?
    Guess that Goblin Rabblemaster is weak against Young Pyromancer and Deathrite Shaman, but is not Magus of the Moon bad enough against a deck that also plays red?

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

On the draw Rabble is lack luster, so i would side it out to play the control role in game two on thr draw. Our prison cards hurt them in all ways, but they are still a great pile of cards that can still win through the hate.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I've been boarding Rabblemaster out on both the play and draw vs Delver. I have three copies of Kozilek's Return that I'm bringing in, and I don't want my primary win conditions to be collateral damage to my own sweepers.

I've been doing:
    -4 Rabblemaster, -1 Fiery Confluence
    +3 Kozilek's Return, +2 Abrade

I've been very impressed by Karn so far as well. I got a 4-1 last night with a list very similar to the GP one.
    What can Karn do that chandra cannot do?
    I am a little bit confused

Quote Originally Posted by Misdirection View Post
    Karn minus into Karn minus is a *very* aggressive line that gets silly if you start on a couple of other artifacts. Karn also gives you a bit of selection and flexibility in timing of casting the cards that Chandra does not. Karn can also be cast off of double sol land openers. Chandra is 100% the better card, but Karn is a nice supplement.

Quote Originally Posted by Misdirection View Post
    It can both block and actually draw cards. One of the complaints I've had with Chandra is that if I want mana, I don't get to draw a card, and if I flip a land, that's just gone. There have been instances where I wanted Pyromaster over Torch due to wanting to hit land drops. Karn allows us to draw lands (in fact, we most likely will), digs deeper than either Chandra, and can block (or attack) with the construct. This comes up specifically against Gurmag, where either Chandra is both cold to and has no recourse against.

Thread Information